February 2020 Moms
Options

Mega-Baby Gear Thread!

2»

Re: Mega-Baby Gear Thread!

• Options
    NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited June 2019
    @brookert615 Which stroller and car seat are you looking at? Car Seats for the Littles has a feature where you can input your car types and find out the best car seats for them. 

I personally wanted a lightweight car seat and stroller that folded up small because I have a Civic and a twice surgically repaired shoulder. I got a Graco Snugride 30 (Max 30 lbs and 30 inches - he was born at almost 22 inches, a shocker since we were both small) Click Connect, so it literally just clicked onto the stroller. DS was a late November baby and I knew I wasn’t going to be taking walks with the stroller then (or really ever) in our neighborhood since we don’t have sidewalks. The Graco has been fine in stores and at softball. I figured that we wanted two somewhat closer in age, so we’d spend more money on a double stroller. TTC took longer than expected this time and he will be 27 months old when this one is born, so I’m questioning if I want to spend so much on a City Select... 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    @NYTino24 We were looking at the Chicco car seats but thank you for that link!!! DH has a truck and the back seat is tight so we found some recommendations based on his truck of what would fit. I think the Graco Snugride was one of the ones that would fit in his truck too! Thank you for your input, I’m learning so much!!! That’s a tough call on whether to get the City Select! Not sure if you’ve seen it but I kept seeing the Joovy Caboose online for strollers... it’s kind of a neat set-up for a double stroller!

https://www.target.com/p/joovy-caboose-ultralight-graphite-stroller-black/-/A-50838795?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Other_All+Products%2BShopping&adgroup=All+Products_Catchall&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9005950&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=CjwKCAjwxrzoBRBBEiwAbtX1nwfOlI39qE_RvfT9KRqxCm31ESwuhPFyOpEOmbmNDd2fkNeBahIOCBoCDHYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @brookert615 my kid was out of his bucket seat at 5 months. He HATED it so much. He is so much happier in his convertable, so I was glad I didn't just buy a carseat and frame We bought a bucket seat that fit onto our primary stroller, but once he no longer used the bucket just became an actual stroller
  • Options
    For babywearing, Tula is my absolute favorite.  I usually wrap or use a ring sling at first, but those have a learning curve and you really need to know how to secure them for you both to be comfortable.  Babywearing groups and YouTube are great resources.  One carrier I tried this last time is a Tula free to grow.  It was awesome from pretty young until now.  I still wear all of my younger four in the Tula.  

Tula vs ergo and some of the others is more appealing if you are more petite.  It didn’t seem as bulky to me as the others.
  • Options
    My mom friend gave me the tip with the stretchy Wraps to learn how to wrap them before the baby came... I thought that was a good idea! Because it's sort of convoluted and not something you want to do while sleep deprived afterwards, lol. 

We got a lillebaby and really loved it. At first my DD didn't like it (but then again I think she didn't like anything, haha) but she got used to it after awhile. Like I said before, we used the stretchy wrap for the first 3 months or so? And then she didn't like being swaddled and I think the stretchy wrap felt like being swaddled and restricted so she didn't like it anymore... But that was ok cuz we just got her used to the lillebaby. DD didn't like the stroller initially so I just wore her a lot when we went out, and honestly, it was the simplest thing to do too. I wore her until she started walking, basically.

I did get a woven wrap from my SIL and I want to learn to use it with my new LO this time! And I want to get a ring sling too, 😁. (having a baby just might be an excuse to go shopping...) 
  • Options
    @brookert615 We have a stroller with plastic wheels now and I think we are looking for one with real tires next. :)
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    We used the Rock N Play for DD's sleep for the first 3 months and it was a life saver.  I knew the risks and did it anyway.  I want to try not to do that this time around though so I'll be looking into products that may provide similar benefits (auto rocking feature) but be safer.  (I know none of them will actually be safe sleep approved)
  • Options
    @NYTino24 Good call! I didn’t even think about that lol. 
    TW
  • Options
    My best friend just told me about the Snoo bassinet and said that it was a total game changer with her new baby. She has a 4 year old whose sleep habits were awful, and now a new baby born last February (now 4 months) who is a perfect sleeper. She completely credits it to the Snoo. She said it’s unreasonably expensive, but now you can rent them monthly, and she and her husband say it’s the best $100 they spend every month. Just looked at the website and people do seem to love them. 

This blog explains the design behind it: https://www.happiestbaby.com/blogs/snoo/first-smart-sleeper-unveiled

I'm pretty much sold.
  • Options
    I'm all about the baby box for safe sleep. It's basically a cardboard box with a thin mattress at the bottom, a Scandinavian tradition that decreases SIDS risk. Here in Colorado every new parent can take a safe sleep course on the baby box website and get a free box.
  • Options
    @craftywitch I was looking at those and they’re super neat! I was thinking of getting one! That’s cool you can get a free box with a class!
    TW
  • Options
    Something to think about- I know the recommendation is that baby sleeps in your room until 12 months- but FYI FTMs- that often isn’t feasible for a lot of people for various reasons. We moved DS to his own room and a crib (so no bassinet) at 9 weeks and it was the GREATEST DECISION EVER (for us). Also DS started sitting up at 4 months so the bassinet would not have been possible for long anyway. We ended up buying the Lotus travel pack and play/bassinet and we still use it all the tome for sleepovers at grandmas house or if we are traveling and we never got a true bassinet
  • Options
    Baby boxes are great until your baby decides not to sleep where you want them to.  Fun times.

And yes to what @kiwi2628 said about baby sleeping in your room.  Our pediatrician actually told us she was disappointed in the AAP for that recommendation because it was not based on research and she usually agrees with all of their recommendations.  DD slept in our room until 3-4 months and it was the best decision for all of us.
  • Options
    I’m so glad you guys mentioned about putting baby in the nursery early! I was hoping on doing that but after seeing that recommendation I was a little thrown off! 
    TW
  • Options
    @jvk2012 I think the Graco Deam Glider is approved for sleep.
    @brookert615 DS moved out of our room around 5.5-6 months. He couldn’t handle the smell of me or the sight of either of us in the same room without wanting to be held. I had to hold him on an incline to sleep and it was terrible until he finally was able to sleep flat. He went right to his belly most of the time. He’s now a back sleeper though, interestingly enough.

• Options
    leksiLleksiL member
    We also moved DD into her own room (with a two week hiatus in 4th month due to sleep regression where we coslept) at three months and she is a great sleeper even now. We couldn’t have done in the same room because we were so attuned to each other. She also kicks a lot 😂 she has come to our bed (2 now) twice in the last six months due to night terrors and no one slept. 

Someone gave us a bassinet and used it zero times as she would just scream if put in it, even for a second. I kept it for #2 we will see what they like!

for the first three months we tried everything the things that worked for us depending on baby’s mood and age were cosleeping, baby box in the middle, PNP infant attachment and PNP bassinet. Also all naps were on me or DH until she started daycare at three months. The first three months are tough! I still can’t wait :)
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    @craftywitch I just saw your baby box post, I am in Colorado too!  We may need to plan a date one day
  • Options
    I'm a bit late to the party because the gear piece is a bit overwhelming to me...  I saw a bit of the recent discussion on baby wearing and was looking at these.

https://www.babyktan.com/about

Has anyone used this or heard anything about it.  It's like a simplified wrap, so I think there will be less of a learning curve.
  • Options
    @pirateduck Oh! Those look really cool! I was thinking of doing the Solly but not having to learn the whole wrapping sounds marvelous lol. 
    TW
  • Options
    leksiLleksiL member
    @pirateduck @brookert615 I have a Baby K'tan and it was good, but then I washed it because it was black and I have a cat and it got too small. I love my Moby wrap because it gives flexibility. Once you get the wraps down it isn't that difficult. The other thing about the K'tan is you have to get the right size and that changes throughout postpartum. My daughter was way too small for it at first but she was only 5+10 when born.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    @leksiL Oh wow, that's very good to know!!! 
    TW
  • Options
    leksiL said:
    @pirateduck @brookert615 I have a Baby K'tan and it was good, but then I washed it because it was black and I have a cat and it got too small. I love my Moby wrap because it gives flexibility. Once you get the wraps down it isn't that difficult. The other thing about the K'tan is you have to get the right size and that changes throughout postpartum. My daughter was way too small for it at first but she was only 5+10 when born.

So with the K'tan it makes a difference that you are shrinking and your baby is growing, which throws off the whole size thing, but with a regular wrap it sounds like you can easily adjust for the changes.
  • Options
    I want to add that with the ktan, because it is sized you would need two different sizes probably if your husband ever wanted to baby wear... That's why I'm planning on getting a solly wrap... Because it wasn't too hard to figure out how to wrap (just watch YouTube videos) and there is flexibility in sizing. 
  • Options
    @pirateduck @brookert615 I LOVED my k'tan.  I had a wrap and could NOT figure out how to get it to work well, the learning curve was too high for me. Even with changing body size I found it worked well from immediately post-partum until I stopped using it (you can use them until the babies are quite large, but the Lille was just more comfortable with an older baby.)  I def recommend checking one out  :)  
  • Options
    @pirateduck For sure! Whenever this happens I'm happy to bring my 3 carriers for you to try out too. I think there are actually carrier libraries you can seek out in your area that will loan you different ones to try and show you how to use them. Trying them on is really the best way to get a feel for what you're going to prefer.