February 2020 Moms

Mega-Baby Gear Thread!

I started my baby registry today (I am a mega-planner) and thought we could have a thread to answer any burning questions about baby gear. I saved everything from first baby so only need like 5 things. I was thinking about how many useless things we bought for Bells, so people can talk about that too. :)
Me: 38, DH: 36 
Married Jan 2008 
DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

Re: Mega-Baby Gear Thread!

• leksiLleksiL member
    My first question is to STM+ regarding baby monitors. Bells will be 3 when Baby comes. The video monitor we have (Summer) just barely works at this point. Do we try to re-use it, get a second one, or get one with two separate cameras? Does a 3 year old need a video monitor?

Also I am sharing something I wished I had gotten with Bells: a sit me up floor seat. Instead I wasted $50 on a Bumbo and Bells' chunky little thighs could not fit in it. They had these at daycare and they were amazing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FG5XQ49?colid=1UUD05AYD9L8C&coliid=I2HPB3V8T06J1W&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link
    Married Jan 2008 

• We skipped the baby monitor the first time and plan to skip it again. My favorite baby item in the whole world (I have 2 and would not call it a duplicate) is the Boppy pillow. I didn't like the breast friend one and couldn't manage with a regular pillow when he was tiny, plus we didn't like the bumbo or buzzy chair thing and used the boppy constantly for propping and sitting. 10/10 Boppy pillows from me.

Gear question for people with an older toddler and baby: double jogging stroller? I have a single jogger and DS will be almost 4 when this babe is born. Does your 4yo ride in a stroller? At what age do they outgrow the stroller?
  • Loading the player...
  • My registry is kind of done.... lol. But I just swapped out the Bumbo for the one you just posted lol. We are getting the mamaroo by 4moms but I can get a 50% discount. We will also probably do the Owlet for the monitor. 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • daffodil_shoedaffodil_shoe member
    edited June 2019
    My only advice from my personal experience is that:

1) the Boppy was useless (except right after birth when I used it as a donut pillow so I wouldn’t have to sit directly on my 2nd degree tear and raging hemorrhoids).

2) We will be buying a much nicer video monitor this time (better/bigger picture, be able to move the aim around wirelessly, etc).

ETA- actually I thought of something else. If you’re planning to breastfeed, look into getting a Haka!! I’m definitely getting one this time.
  • leksiLleksiL member
    @daffodil_shoe that is so funny I used the boppy for everything! :-D It worked better for me than My Breast Friend for nursing. It was also a great prop for DD.

@craftywitch I have a single jogger too - I don't think I'm getting a double. DH can watch whatever kid isn't in the jogger. Hell he can watch both :-D it will be cool to put them both in the bike trailer together and we also have a radio flyer which will be amazing once LO can sit up. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited June 2019
    Just want to say that most retailers do baby clearance in July and January, just in time for these bubs to appear. I only bought stuff on sale since we had a lot of things handed down and I saved a ton. We have only bought two boxes of diapers since BEFORE DS was born and I still have enough size 1 and 2 for another baby. Check out Amazon Warehouse Deals “Open box” diapers (none of my boxes were open or damaged, but maybe they were returned?! Who knows.)
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • leksiLleksiL member
    @nytino24 great tips! I am not even sure where to shop now that BRU is gone 😬
    Married Jan 2008 

• leksiLleksiL member
    @nytino24 great tips! I am not even sure where to shop now that BRU is gone 😬
    Married Jan 2008 

• kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited June 2019
    Things that I loved from my first baby:

1) Nanit video monitor. It it so clear, analyzes sleep patterns, can travel easily and also can act as a night light. 

2) Snuggapuppy swing. I had both the mamaroo and snuggapuppy and snuggapuppy is way superior. My baby hated the mamaroo

3) A carrier- whatever works best for your frame. Super lifesaver for the first 3 months

4) I skipped a changing table since its a giant piece of furniture that becomes useless between the ages of 6-12 months when they no longer want it be still on it. Instead I got the Kekeroo peanut changer and put it on top of a low bookshelf. I didnt need changing pads since it wipes clean and it meant I didnt need a useless piece of furniture and therefore also saved tons of money

5) Also research formula even if you plan to breastfeed. You never know what is gonna happen- maybe baby loses too much weight in the first 48 hours post birth and you have to supplement. Maybe your baby has something like torticollis and has trouble feeding. Maybe there is a lip or tongue tie and they cant. Maybe one of your boobs LEGIT DOESNT WORK (like what happened to me). Having one can of formula stashed just in case- one that you feel comfortable using- is great, that way in a moment of panic you have it. And if you dont end up using it, you can donate it to a womens shelter and feel good about yourself.

Also I have a feeling we may end up devolving to have separate threads for strollers and carseats since those are very involved conversations

• Oh yes, definitely.  Carseats are definitely something I'm going to want to thoroughly research and hear everyone else's reviews as well.
  • @alseltzer join Car seats for the Littles on FB. It’s a great wealth of knowledge on all things car seats. 
  • @leksiL @craftywitch I totally agree. The Boppy was my best friend. It was great for feeding, but mostly I loved it for propping baby up. 

Thankfully most of the bigger ticket items were purchased or gifted for baby #1 so I think I’ll just look into upgrading a few things. I have the infant optics monitor which works great...but I would love one with a better resolution. 
  • What are your opinions on the mammaroo swing? With my first I couldn’t bring myself to pay for, or ask someone else, to pay for a swing that expensive. My husband and i are much better off financially than we were 4.5 years ago, and since we held onto everything there’s not much else we need. Thinking we may be able to splurge on this. 
  • leksiLleksiL member
    @cari1414 the problem is what if you buy it and your kid hates swings? My daughter would not spend a second in a swing she would just cry and cry. She still gets a little whoosy on swings and fast carousels. I would find out before spending that kind of money on something. Maybe go to a friends house and try out their swing first. We kept our swing and will see if this baby likes it.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL I continued to use a monitor with my older child when I had my second. It gave me peace of mind. I’d get a second one, but that’s just me.

I agree that the boppy is great for nursing. I’ve used it with all three kids, all the way up to 10 months.

@cari1414 the mamaroo swings don’t hold much weight (at least that’s what I remember). So they can outgrow it quickly, especially if you have big babies like I did. I prefer the fisher price swings. Those are worth the money, IMO. 
  • @cari1414 I have heard wonderful things about the mammaroo swing but even on the Babylist video they do feature it in a video and recommend it but say that some babies aren't a huge fan. I know enough people that swear by it and am lucky enough to get one for 1/2 off retail so it's about the same price as any other swing so that's why I'm going to get it.

Has anyone looked into the Elvie breastpump? I started really wanting the Willow but the whole only using their bags makes me lean towards the Elvie since it goes into a bottle. With my work I really don't have much of an option other than going hands-free because I'm usually running around like a crazy lady lol. Is it even worth trying to see if insurance will cover any of it?
    TW
  • I don't even know where to start. So many choices.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• @brookert615 I was dead set on the Willow being my big plan this time around, but I also hate that they only take their propriotary bags which only hold 4oz each and end up costing about $0.50 each, that plus the out of pocket $500 up front make pumping seriously expensive. I like the Elvie as an alternative, but it's the same $500 out of pocket cost upfront and it's not a hospital grade pump. I'm leaning toward Freemies with the Freemie pocket pump because it's a hospital grade pump with no bags and covered completely by insurance, but it does have wires you have to wear under your shirt to pump at your desk.

I own an Avent double electric, a Medela PISA, and a Spectra 2 pump and recommend Spectra 2 of these options. For me personally waiting 3-4 hours between pumps destroyed my milk supply. I have small breasts and nursed my baby every 1-2 hours around the clock so suddenly trying to wait 3-4 hours when I returned to work at 3 months was awful. I'm hoping a hands free pump will allow me to pump every 1-2 hours at my desk.
  • @craftywitch Yes, that's seriously insane about the bags. I like the fact that it wouldn't leak but it just seems so wasteful! I wish there was some sort of payment plan or something like they do with the Willow! I did look into the Freemie which is also an option. Thank you so much for your feedback! I think I might try and call insurance regardless and see if they can do anything! 
    TW
  • @brookert615 Let me know what your insurance says! I haven't tried to contact mine, but if it's common practice for them to agree to cover up to a certain amount I'd be more interested in the Elvie.

• leksiLleksiL member
    edited June 2019
    @rikiteacup I was having anxiety attacks even walking into babies r us until I went with a friend who was knowledgeable and she helped me pick out all the stuff for my registry. It should be fun but it’s stressful! ETA: with my first baby 
    Married Jan 2008 

• leksiLleksiL member
    @brookert615 and @craftywitch ugh pumping is something I am not looking forward to! I stopped pumping at about nine months with my first and I wanted to do one of those Office Space printer destroyer scenes. 😂 I was super dedicated to Bells never touching formula and succeeded but now I look back and I’m like who cares?? I will probably do the same thing with #2 in actuality. I’m going from a workplace that had five pumping rooms with hospital grade pumps to one room where you have to bring your own and sign up for a schedule so a little different. I couldn’t imagine pumping at my desk but our office is open concept. Even if you can’t see anything there is that pumping noise. I will never forget pumping (covered) on a plane flying back from KY on a work trip and the stewardess giving me the dirtiest looks! The guy sitting next to me didn’t care funnily enough. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @craftywitch So I'm still confused. They gave me links to Medela and Ameda for quick ordering and said I would have to check to see if it was in-network. And I have no clue how to do that LOL. 

@rikiteacup Not sure if this would help but I signed up for a registry through Babylist and they sent me a welcome box that has a bunch of cute baby stuff and a catalog that kind of walks through the big ticket products. Their app also has some good blog posts on what was top rated for that year - even going into items that are lower ticket price but has good reviews! 
    TW
  • @leksiL Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have and office but it's got a glass door and wall so I'm thinking of getting a cheap-o divider and a sign saying "PUMPING LEAVE ME ALONE" :D . That's another reason for the hands-free and something quiet because sometimes I will have meetings all day. I'm no professional obviously since I'm a FTM but I talked in detail with my SIL before we were KU and she kind of gave me some good feedback lol. She is super sweet and even offered to come over to my house and help if I'm still having issues with learning how to use the pump lol. I can see the whole open concept office being a little difficult with the humming sounds hahah! That's too funny about your flight, you gotta do what you gotta do! 
    TW
  • @brookert615 The Elvie and Willow are out of network with all insurances. Some insurances will give you an allowance toward the purchase of a pump and some will partially cover out of network pumps. I'd think you need to talk to a representative and explain that you want to purchase an out of network pump and ask if they will cover any of the cost or reimburse you.

@leksiL I feel you on the travel pumping! I used to pump to and from work on my commute daily, often while crying about the completely unrealistic expectations put on working mothers. Everyone is going to get to listen to my pump hum at my desk in our shared office with no door all day long and watch me shove pump parts in and out of my bra every other hour this time around. I'm refusing to struggle and cry and act like 20 minutes every 3 hours is remotely enough time. I need 40 minutes every other hour so pumping at my desk it is!
  • @craftywitch and @brookert615 I EP with my last kid and I loooooved my freemie. Any hands free pump can decrease output, so I definitely couldn’t have used it as my only pump, but I used it on the go and at work and love love loved it
  • @kiwi2628 Thanks for sharing your experience! I think the rough plan in my head is to get a hospital grade pump (looking at the Lansinoh SmartPump) and then pay OOP for a hands-free one. Again - thank you so much!!!! 
    TW
  • @craftywitch So my insurance won’t cover the cost, they have a partnership with certain brands! 
    TW
    edited June 2019
    My neighbor got rid of a completely good Summer Infant 3D Lite stroller. Perfect for Disney in November. Score!!!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • elmann1elmann1 member
    edited June 2019
    @daffodil_shoe YES the Haka! I ran across it on Amazon recently and thought it was genius! I'm excited to use it this time around. I lost a lot of milk from the opposite breast while nursing!!

I LOVE the Kinderpack. I bought like 3 in three sizes and they were everything up until my daughter turned two-two and a half. They are super artsy and comfortable, I can't wait to use them again! *edit: these can be expensive AF but worth the investment!
  • leksiLleksiL member
    For things like baby carriers I highly recommend going to a specialty store to try on different models to see what works for you or going to babywearing groups that will show you how to use them and talk about the different options. We got an Eco Gemini which I loved because it works from infant to big kid and you can wear on front side or back. We have a great little store here that does babywearing classes and it’s also nice to support small businesses. Ours also helped a lot with cloth diapering supplies.
    Married Jan 2008 

• I’m a huge fan of the Lille baby carrier, but also like wraps for squishy size, and love the ring sling for nursing/snoozing while seated. I like the FB group “Babywearing on a Budget” because you can find lightly used expensive carriers and the price cap is $100 on everything, often there are even better deals.
  • @craftywitch I'm hoping this baby likes being in a wrap! They're so cozy and perfect for squishiness. My daughter hated it. I have a great picture of her a few weeks old with her head thrown back screaming crying in a wrap. It's hilarious and makes me cackle. 

edited June 2019
    I have a Ktan and I guess I was just so sleep deprived and delirious that I couldn’t figure it out without help most of the time. I was also super drugged up and swollen, so I couldn’t walk much less coordinate getting DS wrapped. Once he was about 12 weeks, I used an Ergo and Lilliebaby, which go to 45 lbs. He’s under 28 lbs. now at almost 19 months, so I still wear him sometimes. 

I’m gonna caution the FTM that LO may have preferences that are different from yours. You might really want that expensive MamaRoo and LO might scream all the time in it. Same goes for the bassinet, wraps, bottles, pacifiers, etc. My son wanted nothing to do with ANYTHING babyish. He was out of the infant car seat at like 5 months due to being tall and heavy. He refused to sleep in the cosleeper or his crib. Didn’t like the Sit Me Up or Rock and Play. Outgrew the swing by 5 months. He wouldn’t be swaddled or take the Wubbanub. Despite all of this and not sleeping, he was an awesome baby. He just loved being awake and didn’t want to be treated like a baby!

• @elmann1Im also a huge fan of the Kinderpack. 😊
  • I was obsessed with my Tula when she was younger. So comfy! She won't usually let me put her in it now, but I did use it to go through the airport a couple months ago and it was perfect. 

@NYTino24 Oh my gosh I forgot about the Ktan! I loved mine, but I used it when she was a bit older so I wasn't as sleep deprived when trying to figure it out. Also good point on babies having preferences other than what you would think. I bought so much crap last time that I never used. 
  • Silly question! So I have a car seat and the stroller frame that matches in my registry. Do you guys recommend doing that AND a stroller or is that overkill? I’m so lost lol! 
    TW
  • leksiLleksiL member
    edited June 2019
    @brookert615 every stroller set I have ever seen has two ways to ride (at least). You can either hook on the car seat or you can use the toddler seat. The only reasons I would (and have) a second stroller are for a jogging stroller or a small umbrella stroller. But if you need a jogging stroller a lot of them come with the car seat attachment also. One thing we did was buy a second car seat base so we could keep them in both our cars and simply click the infant seat in. (DH does daycare drop off, leaves infant seat at daycare, and then I pick up in my car) 

eta: a stroller is something g you definitely want to pick in person. How easy are they to fold and lift? How easy is it to click the car seat in? How navigable are they? 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @brookert615 your baby might not last long in an infant car seat... Mine didn't like hers at all. I've read that the crunched up position can exacerbate their acid reflux, and she was a colicky baby. We actually switched out to a convertible car seat early, like at 4 months. So something to think about. I would probably get a stroller and a car seat that is compatible with it!

Some things to think about for strollers is how heavy it is, and the functionality of it... Like does it have a big basket? Easy to manouver? Easy to fold? Not too heavy to lift into your car trunk? Maybe get a stroller that will grow with you... Like has a snack tray accessory, or ability for a second seat attachment. 

As for things I want to try or get for this LO... I bought a used bassinet that can go on my stroller and also be used for sleeping. I want to pick up another stretchy wrap... We had the Boba Wrap and it was a god send for a couple months, but so hot! So I'm thinking of a solly wrap or beluga baby wrap. Maybe a boppy or a bouncer? My DD didn't like the mamaroo but maybe we needed another different kind of swing. 
  • @leksiL Great tips! I didn’t even know that most strollers could carry a car seat, just thought I had to get the matching base so that makes me feel good now! Thanks for the help!

@clearlyclara That’s smart about the convertible car seat and just having things so they grow with baby! That’s awesome about getting the bassinet that can go in the stroller! The solly wraps have such good reviews! 
    TW