October 2019 Moms
Options

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Options
    @meagan-t highly highly recommend a doula!! She was everything that went right in my son's fairly traumatic birth. I am 99% sure I would have had a c-section and that I would have taken the epidural before I made peace with that decision. I really wanted a med free homebirth, but was transferred to the hospital for induction due to pre-eclampsia... She had so many tricks up her sleeve for pain management and was a go between for nurses/obs for me. It was absolutely invaluable to me 💚

I found my doula through doula match, although the doula I got was actually her backup backup 😅 but I loved her so much she was like the 5th person to find out I was pregnant! I hired her back before I missed my period lol
  • Options
    nnaelilaknnaelilak member
    edited May 2019
    I also interviewed a couple doulas before making my decision! You want to make sure they are someone you get along with and has the same views as you to make sure you get what you need during labor! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @obsessedwithoranges my ob/midwife practice offers and on-call doula service. I didn’t feel the need to have someone before the hospital, really just wanted someone there to support and advocate should it be necessary so DH could be present with me. If you have a local ICAN group, find them on Facebook and check their archives. 

@andromedacorrine2 I also live in IL and that isn’t true at all. I know many women that have had all kinds of births with midwives in hospitals, at home, at birth centers. There are a LOT of IL providers that support midwifery care and it’s rapidly growing because of the research that supports it. 

I live in the Chicago metropolitan area so maybe we have more access. 
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Any STM+ use Hypnobabies for a prior birth? I really want to go all natural if possible, and I have several friends who swear by it. I'm a little hippy dippy  about this stuff as it is, way into yoga and meditation, so it kind of seems right up my alley. But curious to hear any feedback ya'll might have!
  • Options
    @jenferlee82 I don't have personal experience, but one of the ladies from my last BMB swore by it. So much so that I've been thinking of doing it as well. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I'll find out from her what her best resources were.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • Options
    Any STM+ use Hypnobabies for a prior birth? I really want to go all natural if possible, and I have several friends who swear by it. I'm a little hippy dippy  about this stuff as it is, way into yoga and meditation, so it kind of seems right up my alley. But curious to hear any feedback ya'll might have!
    I didn't use it with my other births but I do intend on using it with this one. I've only heard amazing things about it. I'm a big meditator as well so I think it would only benefit! 
  • Options
    @PenelopeSnuz77 Thank you for sharing your feedback! I am a dedicated yoga practitioner as well - I credit it with keeping my stress levels really manageable and frankly just making me feel "even." There was a brief stretch in this pregnancy where I couldn't do any yoga and I just wasn't myself. That's part of what made Hypnobabies appeal to me, I think. I decided to pull the trigger and ordered it today, so we'll see how it goes!
  • Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for where to buy reasonably priced maternity swimsuits for a person with a large bust? Having a hard time finding something I like, and I'm hesitant to order from just any where because of possible sizing issues. 

TIA for your help!
  • Options
    @jhokaj524 I went to Target and shopped the plus size tops.
  • Options
    @jhokaj524 No specific recs for brand, but I highly recommend buying separates. I don't have a massive bust (~36 D-ish when pregnant), but it was hard to find a one-piece that felt secure, even in maternity lines. I found some tops I liked at Target (for the price factor especially), but by the end just used a regular bikini top under an athletic tank-top.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Anyone listen to any good pregnancy/ new mom podcasts?  
  • Options
    cheznetcheznet member
    @jane101757 I listened to Josie and Jonny are having a baby (with you). They're British comedians and they talk to a bunch of other semi celebrities. I say semi because I haven't heard of many of them, but they might be big in Britain. The only one I heard of was Eugene Merman. It's kinda funny and interesting. There are just 12 episodes so I'm done.
  • Options
    @jane101757 I loved The Longest Shortest Time when I was pregnant the first time. It's been on for a while now though, so start at the beginning. Those are the episodes about pregnancy and new motherhood. 
  • Options
    Anyone listen to any good pregnancy/ new mom podcasts?  
    I love listening to the Birth Hour podcast- it's all birth stories 
  • Options
    Love the Birth Hour series! I need to get caught up, I haven't listened in forever! 
  • Options
    Thank you @cheznet @junebabyh @jal88144 and @nnaelilak!   Excited to check them out 😊 even with all of the books and appointments I still feel like I need more guidance.  
  • Options
    Hey, so I'm a FTM and I am heading into 19weeks now. I just got my A/S and I usually get an ultrasound every month at my appointment. I didn't think much of it and my MIL is telling me my child is going to be deaf due to so many ultrasound, and that I'm only supposed to get 2 of them out of the whole pregnancy. Is this true or should I just assume she's trying to freak me out more than I already am about this whole pregnancy. Thanks!
  • Options
    Does anyone have book recommendations, more geared towards attachment parenting, about getting siblings ready for another baby?
    My first daughter was only 2 when my second was born but now my girls are 4 and 6 and just trying to find a way to help everyone adjust ℓσℓ 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    Any STM+ use a belly support band before? I really need one for work, on my feet all day, lifting and pulling and just really busy. My belly is already hurting, which doctor says is common with 2nd baby. She recommended a support band. I have no clue what one to get. They all have mixed reviews. Any input?
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    alinic916 said:
    Any STM+ use a belly support band before? I really need one for work, on my feet all day, lifting and pulling and just really busy. My belly is already hurting, which doctor says is common with 2nd baby. She recommended a support band. I have no clue what one to get. They all have mixed reviews. Any input?
    I don’t recommend the buy buy baby one. I tried it last time, but found it to be super itchy and not that great 😪
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    @alinic916 I used athletic tape last time because it allowed me to add support wear I needed it most :) 
  • Options
    NBR: How do you guys go about choosing a contractor? We want to hire someone to finish our basement this summer so we'll have a MIL suite for when the baby arrives, but I've never looked for that level of service before. I'm going to start by asking around our neighborhood, but how do I vet them? Just by word-of-mouth? Does anyone have a set of questions they recommend to help guide our search?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @steminist - you can ask your building department for a list of registered contractors. Most cities/villages/etc keep a list of those that have registered with them and require proof of insurance, etc. Plus in theory they would be aware of the requirements your building department would have with regards to renos. Otherwise, I'd say word of month, unfortunately. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @nnaelilak Did you have your OB or a chiropractor or anyone show you where to put the tape or just google it? I’m getting desperate for some relief. I’m currently sitting with an ice pack on my vagina 🥶
  • Options
    SLou24SLou24 member
    @melanier26 I’m an Ortho Tech and we actually fit pregnant women all the time for these belly/back support braces we have. They are amazing— OB refers patients to us over to us in orthopedics all the time. Could you ask your OB if your hospital’s ortho techs fit these as well? 
  • Options
    Update: I got this belly support band and wore it for the first time in clinicals today. On my feet for about 9 hours and my stomach doesn't feel like it's going to fall out like it did last week. It didn't help the back pain a ton but that is tolerable for now. I would consider getting a more supportive one toward the end if it gets really bad. 
    https://www.amazon.com/AZMED-Maternity-Breathable-Abdominal-Support/dp/B0113WE0QS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QRZN0X8DEBXB&keywords=pregnancy+support+band&qid=1559072572&s=gateway&sprefix=pregnancy+suppor%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-3

@melanier26 My doctor said a band like the one I got for belly/back pain, and one that looks like a jock strap for vaginal pain because the baby is likely pressing on the nerves going to that area. Maybe something like this would help you? https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Belly-Band-Pregnancy-Compression/dp/B0024L5KPI/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1ERRBTQ71YXZT&keywords=pregnancy+support+strap&qid=1559072694&s=gateway&sprefix=pregnancy+support+strap%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-13

@SLou24 is there a certain type of support brace your office uses for OB patients? That's awesome you have experience with that!  I ordered some KT tape as well so might try googling how to use it on the belly. I use it on my foot sometimes for plantar fasciitis.
  • Options
    @SLou24 Yeah I plan on asking for options at my appointment next week. I had read online that the tape is much cheaper, which is why I was thinking of that route
  • Options
    @melanier26 if you have any athletic trainers near you they may be able to help with the tape placement. I’m sure physical therapists too but one of our good friends is an athletic trainer working on her physical therapy degree and she’s been super helpful through all of my pregnancies for things from taping to what to do when sciatica pain gets horrible. 
  • Options
    @nnaelilak Did you have your OB or a chiropractor or anyone show you where to put the tape or just google it? I’m getting desperate for some relief. I’m currently sitting with an ice pack on my vagina 🥶
    I just googled! Mine was for back pain, so I think I googled "athletic tape placement pregnancy back pain"

There was also a thread in my fb bump group, I'll search and see if I can find it! 
  • Options
    @melanier26 I couldn't find the post, but I found this blog that shows a few of the methods I tried!!

https://diaryofafitmommy.com/kinesio-taping-during-pregnancy-techniques-for-the-pregnant-belly/
  • Options
    SLou24SLou24 member
    @sweetteaandswingsmama I love seeing athletic trainers mentioned!! Im actually an AT but currently working as an ortho tech at a hospital due to the crazy schedule/life of an AT. Most people don't know what we are so I get excited anytime someone does lol  :)
  • Options
    Has anyone had or have scheduled their 1-hr glucose test? At my appointment on Tuesday, the OB told me that at my next appointment (24 weeks), I need to drink the demon beverage (my own personal phrasing here) before I come in. As I failed the 1-hr with DS and had to do the 3-hr but passed, I'm a little apprehensive. They actually gave me the drink before I left, told me to refrigerate it (since it tastes better that way) and gave me the instructions. I did reschedule my appointment to the early morning to get the best possible result, but I'm just anxious... 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• Options
    emily1052emily1052 member
    edited May 2019
    @stephanie123456 mine isn’t scheduled till the 28 week appointment (July 12).  I hope you pass the 1hr with flying colors this time.  

So what would you compare the taste of the “demon beverage” too? 

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Has anyone had or have scheduled their 1-hr glucose test? At my appointment on Tuesday, the OB told me that at my next appointment (24 weeks), I need to drink the demon beverage (my own personal phrasing here) before I come in. As I failed the 1-hr with DS and had to do the 3-hr but passed, I'm a little apprehensive. They actually gave me the drink before I left, told me to refrigerate it (since it tastes better that way) and gave me the instructions. I did reschedule my appointment to the early morning to get the best possible result, but I'm just anxious... 
    I do mine at 28w, but I already have that scheduled. I don’t recommend doing it in the morning because eating breakfast can throw off the test, and you are not supposed to fast for the 1 hour. 

They gave me the option of doing grape grape juice this time, and I’m thrilled. I hate that orange grossness and am guaranteed to crash after
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @cmbt2 My appointment is at 9am, so they told me to drink at 8am, be there by 8:30am, and they will do the blood-draw at 9. I will definitely not be eating breakfast, but bringing a snack to eat right after they take blood. They said I didn't have to fast but as I made it first thing in the morning, not eating won't be a problem (I usually don't eat until I get to work anyways).

@emily1052 Super sweet and flat soda pop. I was given the option of orange or lemon-lime, and I opted for the lemon-lime. I had orange last time with DS and too many bad memories. 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• Options
    cmbt2 said:
    I do mine at 28w, but I already have that scheduled. I don’t recommend doing it in the morning because eating breakfast can throw off the test, and you are not supposed to fast for the 1 hour. 

They gave me the option of doing grape grape juice this time, and I’m thrilled. I hate that orange grossness and am guaranteed to crash after
    Mine is scheduled for my 28 week appointment as well. I'm going to ask about grape juice!!
  • Options
    It’s so funny everyone hates that drink but I couldn’t have cared less about it. I was thankful it didn’t taste like cough syrup because THAT I would have puked up. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    It’s so funny everyone hates that drink but I couldn’t have cared less about it. I was thankful it didn’t taste like cough syrup because THAT I would have puked up. 
    I can’t stand orange flavored anything
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~