December 2019 Moms

QUESTION Thread

For FTM to STM+, “dumb” questions, TMI, etc., ask them here!

Re: QUESTION Thread

• @ladybird_ladybird thanks for starting this! I loved this thread in the BMB for my first!
  • Have any of you ladies ever switched hospitals for the second pregnancy or 3rd or 4th ;) My doctor switched hospitals and my first 2 children were born at the other hospital in our city with that same doctor. I absolutely love my current doctor but all our medical records are at the current hospital. I was wanting thoughts on the hassle of switching so the same doc will deliver all my kids. I know it's kind of silly to worry about this but I have had delivery issues in the past and this is something that is giving me anxiety.
    IAmPregnant TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @sdegrootmom3 we didn’t have a choice but to switch (military/insurance/whatever) and I haven’t noticed any hassle with switching. You’ll have to do the questionnaire paperwork but other than that it shouldn’t be a big deal. That said I move a lot and the idea of having two kids at the same place seems crazy to me 😂
  • @sdegrootmom3 after my first pregnancy I switched to a new ob for my second which ended in a tubal pregnancy. The switch wasn’t bad at all, just a new history packet and making sure to explain past complications. It’s all about what you’re most comfortable doing for you and your baby. GL with your decision making!
  • Thanks ladies! Good to know it's not a huge hassle. Most likely I will switch so I am comfortable with me and the babys care
  • I just moved and will be switching OB’s and they deliver at a different hospital. If your OB is with the same practice they should have a majority of your birth records. I didn’t even think about what records the hospital may keep. 
  • Rival hospital actually so I will have to have them transfered... 
  • @sdegrootmom3 We moved out of state for our second, and actually currently moving back in time for this baby. Just have them transfer the records, it’s easy!  :)
  • Thank you all, I have an appointment scheduled with my favorite doctor on the 26th to go over everything. I am sure I will fill out the paperwork to transfer at this appt. Thanks again all!!
  • Anybody ever had any experience with Zika testing? I travelled to Mexico 2 weeks before we conceived, dr sent me for Zika blood work and today was told I wont get results for a month!! Kinda nervous!! 
  • @mcbaby01 Try not to be too nervous, I’m sure you’re ok! I conceived in Mexico. I was at a resort and my doctor was not worried and didn’t order bloodwork.  Would she have advised us to wait if she knew this was going to happen? Yes, but since it did happen, she thinks we’re fine. Fingers crossed all is good for you!
  • @sunshineandlemons this makes me feel SO much better just knowing that your doctor didn't even order the blood work. Thanks for the positive vibes! My test should come back in 3 to 4 weeks.
  • Alright- I feel like a crazy lady- I started getting nauseated on Friday- then yesterday afternoon I had a weird/different then normal cramp and got super bloated all of a sudden. (I’m not constipated) then the nausea went away- last night I was a little queasy- same with today- nothing like how it was. My boobs still hurt and I’m not as bloated. I also had 2 drops of blood on underwear yesterday- no more bleeding... i called the ob and she said to wait- if it gets worse go to the ED- I know symptoms come and go and spotting happens- and I’m probably freaking out about nothing-  but has anyone had this happen? Random spontaneous bloating and loss of some symptoms? This is my first pregnancy- I’m only 6 weeks 6 days- and my first us isn’t until May 10th. 
  • edited April 2019
    @sdegrootmom3 That makes total sense and it's not silly at all to be thinking ahead. I am actually in the opposite situation, I wanted to switch practices after two deliveries at the same hospital. In my experience it was super easy, getting an initial appointment was actually harder than anything else. If your doctor's practice has an online portal, once you sign up there's usually a page to request records from another doctor. Or you just contact the practice you are switching from and ask them to send over the records to wherever you switch to. It's all actually very easy, or at least has been for me.
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • @knottie6c65f60dfcc2661c Hey. First, congrats on your first pregnancy! Second, that is such a scary feeling but completely normal. With my first two pregnancies (and yeah, it's happening now) I would wake up one day and feel (and look) 20 wks pregnant even at 6 wks, other days it's like nothing was going on with my body at all. Your doctor is absolutely right, as long as it doesn't get worse try not to freak out. I never had spontaneous spotting, but I do spot any time we get even a little, erm, "intimate." Hope that helps.
    Micah      <3 10/2015
  • Is anyone here suffering from antepartum depression or have you in any past pregnancies? How did you handle it?
  • @doctorcrime YES! I'm actually doing will at this point, knock on wood, but I tend to get very bad antepartum depression. My first pregnancy was MISERABLE because of it. I would terrify myself with the places my head went to. My second pregnancy I kept it much better managed. I saw a women's health social worker a few times, but what truly helped was practicing mindfulness and developing a deep appreciation for yoga. It worked so well, and that experience was suuuuuch a vast improvement from the first. Hope this helps, and hope you find what works for you. Remember, do not keep it to yourself, do not think you are on your own. Your doctors have great resources, so don't keep quiet about this if becomes a large issue. Hugs, mama.
    Micah      <3 10/2015
  • @doctorcrime I don't have antepartum depression right now, but I do have it on my (and doctor and DH's) radar, as I've struggled with depression on and off my whole life. My OB coordinator gave me some basic info for it, but something I liked was writing down an actual plan for when I'm feeling in that dark place. Some things the sheet has for you to write down: "People I can ask for help when I need it," "My early signs that I am feeling bad, depressed, or too anxious," "It can be difficult to talk about not doing well. If you feel like this, who are 3 people you would talk with? What will you say?" For me, at least, I can see this being a big help, because when I'm feeling at my worst and darkest, I have a really, really hard time actually verbalizing what's going on to my husband. I kind of just clam up. 

Hope that helps. I'm not sure how these boards work yet, but maybe we could start a thread just for depression, if needed?
  • @ninrms I was honestly thinking a depression/anxiety thread would be perfect. I just wasn't sure if many other mom's were dealing with it here yet so I didn't want to start it up. 
    But good idea. Maybe I should start writing down my feelings and what not, cause I do also have a hard time explaining how I'm feeling when it hits. 
  • @LM1007 I fully support starting a depression/anxiety thread! Also, I think journaling feelings is always a good thing...you can start to track any patterns or triggers you might have, both good and not so good. 
  • Our house doesn't have the best setup for a baby. We don't really have a space that can be a "nursery." Anyone had baby in their bedroom with them? How long does that last? Our only other bedroom is upstairs with really narrow steps. Doesn't seem ideal to be traversing these slightly dangerous steps multiple times per night. It's weird for me to read about people who are really excited to design a nursery... we're just trying to find a space that will keep everyone safe and happy...
  • @brrrrrrrrie we had a strange living situation with our first, we’re in the mother-in-law suite at my husband’s parents house, so we had our son in our room until he was about 11 months. Then there was a bit of shuffling done and he’s now in the bedroom next door to us. But baby #2 will have to be in our room with us again until whenever we’re able to buy our own place. 

Its actually recommended to have baby baby sleep in your room with you for at least 6 months to a year so it’s realy not that unusual, even if there is a separate nursery 
  • @brrrrrrrrie my oldest slept in our room for about the first year.  My son didn’t make it quite to 6 months, he wasn’t sleepy well and did better in his own room.
  • @brrrrrrrrie we have 2 bedrooms & a loft upstairs and 2 in the basement. With this being our second (daughter 3) were trying to figure out arrangements too. We’re thinking baby will be in our room for at least 6 months. We may move our room to the loft and then have each kid have their own rooms. Another option were playing with is making the basement living room our bedroom and then the girls will each have a bedroom. Neither are ideal but would work as each space is separated from the main living area. 
  • Thanks @ashorkey @CapricaAndrea @holly321
    I'm fine with the situation, but I do think we'll be forced to make do with less stuff because there won't be a place to put it all!
  • @LM1007 Another "yes" vote on starting that thread over here <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
  • @brrrrrrrrie our house is step up like yours with steep steps going upstairs. My DS (3 years old) actually still sleeps in our room in a toddler bed next to me. I've been concerned about where we are going to put him since the new baby will need to be next to me. All that to say you are not alone.
  • @brrrrrrrrie you would be surprised how much stuff you can make work!  There is a lot of stuff that you don’t really need either.  
  • @brrrrrrrrie our 3 year old son still sleeps with us and will be in our room for some more time despite having more than enough space. Then again in my part of the world, it’s a norm and not an exception and it works best for us. Point being, do what you feel works best for your family situation. There aren’t any right or wrongs in this particular thing atleast.
  • @brrrrrrrrie we were living in a one bedroom apt when my first DS was born. He started in  our room but then was too noisy for me to sleep. We ended up putting a mini crib in the corner of our living room and he stayed there for 1 year until we were able to move.  
  • I feel like this is a super dumb question, but does anyone else have a lot of bloating, and just act like it's a bump and show it off? I'm trying to hide it because I seriously look like I'm about 4 months along, and I'm afraid if I just pretend it's a bump, someone will ask how far along I am. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • holly321holly321 member
    edited April 2019
    @poppy16 I have a very big bloat “not bump.”  I look very pregnant.  I have been wearing flowing tops, but I am pretty sure I am just going to look pregnant and be evasive if people ask questions.

eta dh’s friend just got here and was all “omg look at you” and rubbed my bloat, lmao.
  • @Poppy16 Yes, yes I do. I am aching to have a legitimate bump again. Granted, I have to try and tuck it in for now because I'm starting a new job next week and didn't tell them at the interview (I wasn't hiding the fact, but it's just way to early for me to tell people). But yeah, I am tooootally admiring the bloating bump :lol:
    Micah      <3 10/2015
  • @Poppy16 I feel like my bloat is all over my stomach and doesn’t look like bump yet. Ugh. I’m wearing maternity jeans today and they’re amazing (but I still wore them fairly often when not pregnant because they’re so comfy).
  • @brrrrrrrrie my daughter is 8 months and still is in our room with us. At some point, we will have to get her to sleep in her room full time, and hoping to do so by August, when she will be one. I want this baby to sleep in the same room as us until 6 months minimally 
  • @brrrrrrrrie I'm in a similar situation; we have a very small living space and I'm a little stressed about where we are going to put the baby and his or her gear!  Our bedroom is literally only big enough for our bed, so baby wont fit in there, but we do have a second teensy bedroom.  This will have to be a minimalist baby for sure!  And we will have to purge a lot of our stuff, too.  Not necessarily a bad thing, though.
  • Hello! I have a question...FTM here. I’m struggling big time with cramping but only at night? I’m about 5w4d along and don’t see my doctor until next week. The cramping is tolerable but it’s worse than a period cramp and it’s intense! I end up on the toilet because it wakes me up at night and feels like I need to go #2 (tmi sorry). But I’m just worried because it’s happening almost every other night and I’m also confused because it’s just at night. Anyone else have cramping like that? No spotting, some lower back aches. Thanks in advance!
  • @knottieb7833f0379230e87 Since you mentioned you end up on the toilet, do you think it could be more of a stomach pain/digestion related?  Sometimes I get gas pains.  Maybe something you're eating in the evening? Or does it definitely feel like a uterine cramp?
  • It does feel like the same cramps after you eat bad food but the pain is right in the same spot I have period cramps. I’m going to try changing my times I eat dinner and more water before bed and see if that helps. 
    Thank you for responding!