October 2019 Moms
Options

The Baby Names Thread

Re: The Baby Names Thread

• Options
    If it's a girl she'll be Virginia Pearl (named after my mom and her mother and my MIL). 

The jury is still not out on a boy name, but I like Samuel, Anthony, and Christian. 

My husband is Colombian, so we're trying to find names that transition easily between English and Spanish. 
  • Options
    @bexc11 Friends of ours have a Sadie Jane. I think it’s so adorable 😊
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jhokaj524 said:
    If it's a girl she'll be Virginia Pearl (named after my mom and her mother and my MIL). 

The jury is still not out on a boy name, but I like Samuel, Anthony, and Christian. 

My husband is Colombian, so we're trying to find names that transition easily between English and Spanish. 
    My mom is Colombian! That's why we went with Marisol and Maitea for middle names with our DDs. Also why my name is spelled the Hispanic way and I have been correcting people for over 30 years now "no, not like that, like this" when they spell my name.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Options
    We’ve had a girl name for awhile Gabriella Raen. No clue if it’s a boy. I honestly haven’t thought much about it yet.
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    This thread inspired me to bring up the name game with DH this weekend. At first he was like "why are we even bothering to discuss until we know the sex?!" But he humored me a little and although he shot down some on my list he totally surprised me with a girl name suggestion: Darcy. I am not sure if it's the one, but I can't believe his originality!
    @bexc11 Gavin was on my list for DS2 and a friend used it before I had the chance. Very cute.

• Options
    Our names are picked. If it's a boy we picked William Thomas,but if its a girl it'll be Elizabeth Ann. Just need a nickname the girl. Our friends have an Elizabeth but they call her Lizzy. I don't like the other typical ones.
  • Options
    Cass005 said:
    Our names are picked. If it's a boy we picked William Thomas,but if its a girl it'll be Elizabeth Ann. Just need a nickname the girl. Our friends have an Elizabeth but they call her Lizzy. I don't like the other typical ones.
    I know an Elizabeth who goes by Ellie. Common nickname, but not traditionally for Elizabeth.
  • Options
    Cass005 said:
    Other options are Betty/Bette and Eliza. Or wait until your little one is here and give her a nickname that suits her personality! 😊
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    my toddler’s name (technically nickname but they literally laugh at us when we tell them what their “real” name is) is Ziggy and I’m struggling to come up with a name as cool as that. I have a feeling this baby is going to be named Oswin and now the hunt is on for a solid middle name. 
  • Options
    Cass005 said:
    We have friends who call their Elizabeth “Elsie”. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Cass005 Beth is another one! 
  • Options
    junebabyh said:
    Cass005 said:
    I know an Elizabeth who goes by Ellie. Common nickname, but not traditionally for Elizabeth.
    Our top girl name is Brielle and I plan to call her Ellie if we go with that one. Love that nickname!
  • Options
    Any other teachers having a hard time with names? Every time someone makes a suggestion I’m thinking “ugh...no.” Did you decide to go with a name because you loved it anyways? Or scratch it off the list because it reminded you of a student/students?
  • Options
    @lmarie2009 I am dealing with this! I used to love certain names but now there’s no way I could use them. My husband also can’t stop associating names with people he’s met in his life. I suggested “Cole” the other day and he said he knew a guy in high school with that name. So!?!?! I think as long as it wasn’t a “terror” of a student, I could get past it. 
  • Options
    Any other teachers having a hard time with names? Every time someone makes a suggestion I’m thinking “ugh...no.” Did you decide to go with a name because you loved it anyways? Or scratch it off the list because it reminded you of a student/students?

100% relate to this. I’ve had this conversation with another teacher on my team who is also pregnant, and it’s so true. Students have ruined so many names for me. Even if they weren’t “bad” kids, they might have just had weird habits that are impossible to erase from my memory. I saw a meme somewhere that said something like, “I never realized how many people I hate until I tried to name my kid.” I think we, as teachers, have that times a million because we encounter so many names. 

That’s probably why we’re naming our daughter (found out sex last week!) a name that I’ve never come across as a teacher.  

I might have an irrational fear of our name spreading, so we’re close-lipped about it for now, except for with family. Is anyone else keeping their name a secret? 
  • Options
    I’ve got two friends 6 due about 6 weeks in front of me. They’ve both shared their boy and girl names, because there’s a real possibility that they will be in the hospital at the same time. I’m glad they shared so I didn’t get my heart set on something only to have to change it. My husband and I haven’t really started discussing names. I think once we know the sex we will start taking it more seriously! I’ve had a few girl names I’ve heard and I was like oh I like that. He’s open to everything I’ve brought up so far! I’ve only thought of girls names though!
  • Options
    @cmbt2 same. No joke I was talking to someone and they were giving me a hard time about not sharing the name and I said people can’t help but share their opinions, it’s not always negative but they literally cannot help it, they disagreed so I mentioned some names we liked for middle names and they said “oh you can’t do that!” Legitimately proved my exact point and I was like yup right there 👏🏼 After that I didn’t talk about it at all and gave zero shits 😂
    OMG LOL. Like the lack of self-awareness.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    I have no names to contribute because we don’t start talking about it until we find out the sex. We don’t tell anyone until birth either because I don’t want to hear all the opinions. 

Maybe this is an UO, but I don’t get the agony over maybe naming your baby the same name as someone else in your social circle. 
    Me either 🤷🏼‍♀️ But my kids share first names with uncles that were married to the same aunt (one is the XH,
    the other the current). Maybe I’m just a SS. 

A friend who knew knew we were TTC had a baby girl recently. At one point, he considered our girl name. My only comment was “if we ever have a girl, know that we’re using it, too.” Lol
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    We like Logan Alexander for a boy. Although Logan is popular 🤷🏻‍♀️

Alison Jane for a girl. 

@Cass005 @junebabyh - I love Ellie as a nickname for Elizabeth :)
  • Options
    We have a Declan and a Delanie. It was NEVER planned that they would both be D names. My son we had such a tough time with the name I loved and then we couldn't agree, we stumbled across Declan and fell in love. My daughter I have had 3 girl names I always said I'd use. Averille, Raeliene or Delanie. Well he didn't like Raeliene, my niece is an avah and that left Delanie. I always wanted 4 children so I thought we could do two D names and two (letter) names. But SO is deadset on getting snipped after this baby so this baby will be the odd one out 😂
     So far we have Roland, Raylan and I still want Averille. So that's where we're at. But we're not discussing any names with his sister's this time around cause they're the ones that threw the biggest fits over those names. We do 2 middle names(I have two and the 2nd is always for a family member or grandparent) so Ronald will definitely be the 2nd middle name(my older son's 2nd is Donald 😂) I'd like to out my dad's name in there too but Casey is a hard fit 😂😂😂

• Options
    So I'm curious on people's opinions on names. We haven't seriously talked about names yet - I'm a proponent of "see the baby then name it", but I still want to have some names prepared, of course! - but what do you all feel on modern versus traditional and standard versus non-standard spelling?

I think DH and I are leaning traditional (I come from an old family, where my parents were 44/43 when I was born) with standard spelling, but I'm honestly curious about and love to hear how people think. DH has probably the most common man's name spelled in the traditional way, and as a Meagan with a slightly strange spelling, I've always been frustrated when I can't find things that are personalized in the store and on vacations. It's also super frustrating when my name is almost constantly spelled wrong and I don't get e-mails or had to return awards in junior high to have them corrected because my mom would get angry (true story. Ha ha!).

That being said, I know there are arguments for non-standard spellings, I'm just honestly unsure what they are. As someone struggling with names (it doesn't help that I'm the last of seven, my parents were very active foster parents for almost twenty years, and that I have more than fifteen nieces and nephews and four great -nieces and -nephews), any polite information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    meagan-t said:
    So I'm curious on people's opinions on names. We haven't seriously talked about names yet - I'm a proponent of "see the baby then name it", but I still want to have some names prepared, of course! - but what do you all feel on modern versus traditional and standard versus non-standard spelling?

I think DH and I are leaning traditional (I come from an old family, where my parents were 44/43 when I was born) with standard spelling, but I'm honestly curious about and love to hear how people think. DH has probably the most common man's name spelled in the traditional way, and as a Meagan with a slightly strange spelling, I've always been frustrated when I can't find things that are personalized in the store and on vacations. It's also super frustrating when my name is almost constantly spelled wrong and I don't get e-mails or had to return awards in junior high to have them corrected because my mom would get angry (true story. Ha ha!).

That being said, I know there are arguments for non-standard spellings, I'm just honestly unsure what they are. As someone struggling with names (it doesn't help that I'm the last of seven, my parents were very active foster parents for almost twenty years, and that I have more than fifteen nieces and nephews and four great -nieces and -nephews), any polite information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    So my name is Andromeda. My parents are sci-fi nerds and gamers 😂 I love my name, I do, but I wanted my babes to have semi normal names. I picked names not often heard(at least til Declan hit #4 in 2016😑) and I prefer easy spellings. I am not a fan of crazy, extra letters or long, drawn out spellings. That's me personally 🤷🏽‍♀️ but I love odd names or even names from another language. They're so pretty and unique. However I had a great grandmother named Juanita and she wasn't Hispanic or Spanish and all her life she heard "well why did your parents name you that?" So that's something to think about too! 

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    And FWIW, DH and I have very common names as well, and they’re often misspelled even though we have the traditional spellings. So, I wouldn’t worry about that because it happens to everyone 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @meagan-t ooh it is pinned. it's pretty long, but if you are actually interested in the argument behind why spelling is important...

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12327146/why-name-spelling-matters/p1
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:

100% relate to this. I’ve had this conversation with another teacher on my team who is also pregnant, and it’s so true. Students have ruined so many names for me. Even if they weren’t “bad” kids, they might have just had weird habits that are impossible to erase from my memory. I saw a meme somewhere that said something like, “I never realized how many people I hate until I tried to name my kid.” I think we, as teachers, have that times a million because we encounter so many names. 

That’s probably why we’re naming our daughter (found out sex last week!) a name that I’ve never come across as a teacher.  

I might have an irrational fear of our name spreading, so we’re close-lipped about it for now, except for with family. Is anyone else keeping their name a secret? 
    Yes. The name is secret until birth. No one makes comments (to your face) about it that way. We got way too many negative comments on DS1 that we kept DS2’s name secret. So much better that way
    Yep keeping our name secret for this and any others we may have. My youngest SIL thinks she is the baby expert and was so damn rude with both my babies. She didn't like that they have two middle names, didn't like how we spelled my daughter's name, with my son she was mad at the names we picked. My oldest SIL threw a fit cause I wanted to name my daughter Averille and her daughter is Avah, so she said it was too close for her 🙄. With my daughter, SO had a middle name picked I just didn't like with the name. We decided a month before she was born to change it and we did tell everyone we were changing it. His 2nd oldest sister threw a HUGE fit while we were in the hospital because she bought a gift with the whole name on it and "no one told her" we changed it. So she sent it back and then when my youngest SIL was pregnant with my niece(whose 8 months younger than my daughter) she made a big scene in front of me about how she would just do a gift certificate for her daughter's gift so she didn't "mess up the name"🙄🙄🙄 it really upset me and I told SO that this one no one will know the sex or any name ideas til the day the baby comes. He agreed with me thankfully. So no one in the families gets to know this time. My mom is upset but my dad and her threw fits that I wouldn't give my kids weird out there names like my sister and I (Andromeda and Miriya). 

• Options
     I could go either way on modern vs traditional names (and some of the popular modern names are names that my parents think of as old lady names, so there are definitely cycles to these things). I prefer traditional spellings. That being said, DD and DH both have first names with more than one correct spelling (I would consider Meagan to be a standard/common variation fwiw), so they’re doomed to a lifetime of correcting people. So be it. Definitely not a fan of the trend of adding extra letters just for fun, or the x to replace cks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @andromedacorrine I think I’ve shared this here at some point, but we named DS1 DH’s middle name. It also happens to be the legal name of one of my aunt’s XH (he went by the common nickname. DS1 goes by the legal name). We got so much crap for it, to the point that at one point, she actually said she’d call DS1 by his middle name so she wouldn’t have to say his first. I put my foot down on that one. After that, we said all names are kept quiet, especially when we chose to name DS2 after a friend of mine who passed and it coincidentally is the name of said aunt’s current husband 😂 

DD’s name is no where to be found in either of our family trees lol
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    So glad that my parents decided to use the traditional spelling of 'Stephanie' when naming me. Kills me sometimes when people ask how to spell it... I say 'the traditional way... with a "ph" and "ie"'.  :|
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• Options
    @andromedacorrine Oh my goodness I love your name. And its so funny because your name reminds me of a video game I used to play hahaha.
  • Options
    I find in general (not aiming this at anyone specifically) the spell-the-name-correctly camp has a fairly classist and racist vibe. I’m very much do what you want and if you’re happy fine. If your kid hates their name, they’ll deal and adapt. I’m also someone with a less than common name and my parents mix and matched spelling with pronunciation (Corinna, pronounced Corrina). Same with my middle name, but while most people think it’s the “wrong” pronunciation it’s actually a culturally different pronunciation. Having a first name that I could never find on custom name options was the bane of my childhood but matters so little as an adult. 

Personally, I love a name with lots of options. I have a lot of nicknames from my first and middle and I’ve gone by most of them at various points in my life. My name priorities are to give my kids options to explore their own identities with, but everyone’s priorities are going to be different. 
  • Options
    DS has an uncommon name but it's not an "out there" name either. He does share the name with a classmate so not completely uncommon. I did change the vowel from an I to an A because the meaning of the name changed with the vowel change. I tend to like traditional names but I don't want one so common that they will always being sharing it, this is what's happened with me and I hate it. Not to mention there are 3 pretty common ways to spell it and it happens my way is always thought last. If we have a girl the middle name with be somewhat unique but for a reason. We will use the name Raen(pronounced Rain) but spell with and Rae as a tribute to my mom. We may also do Raelynn as a middle instead, who knows.

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• Options
    @meagan-t I like both modern and traditional names. I am 100% FOR traditional spelling or one that only has one way to spell. I like my name (Alicia) but there's way too many ways to spell it. I know an Alycia, Alisha, Aleysha, Aleshia.  And we have a Serbian last name that is hard to pronounce and spell so wanted our kids to have easy names.

DD1 is Mila Nicole. Mila is a traditional Serbian name. Nicole is my middle name. This baby is probably going to be Luke Milan. I like Lucas, DH likes Luka, so we agreed on Luke. Only thing I dislike about the name is its popularity!!

Might be UO but I'm not a fan of nicknames at all! I prefer to call my kids by their first name. May be why we like simple, short names?
  • Options
    @alinic916 ME Too, there was an Alicia in my last BMB spelled our way I thought it was unusual because I’d always seem it spelled otherwise besides mine

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga