October 2019 Moms
Options

The Baby Names Thread

Re: The Baby Names Thread

• Options
    The only other boys name we both really like is Patrick but I really don’t like Pat so I don’t know that we will ever use it
    I have a Patrick!! <3  My #1 rule with DH in agreeing to it over my second name choice, was that we would enforce correcting people who called him Pat. And it's worked! He's been strictly Patrick since day one to everyone except...surprise, surprise... my MIL, who claims she can never remember that we don't like Pat.   
  • Options
    So now we're having a boy of course I'm looking at our fave boy name a lot differently (urgh)
    I wanted to use either my dad's or my brother's MN as the kid's middle name, but neither of them start with an M, and both DD1 and DD2 have middle names starting with an M (although honestly, how important would that be).

So I've been busily trying out different combinations and hand-lettering up a storm. Always more fun than, say, laundry ;)

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Cass005 very nice 😂 I can't tell you how often I hear "did your parents make that up! I've met people that didn't know it's a galaxy even 😬😬 drives me nuts 😂 and it's always misspelled or mispronounced 😂😂 but I still love it!
    @theglitteredpterodactyl my first middle name is Corrine! I BEGGED for years to go by it cause I go by Ande and people still mess that up😂😂 my mom refused to let me. I wanted to be a Corrie soooooo bad!!! I even cried about it in 5th grade when we moved and she told my new teacher I couldn't be called that😭 

• Options
    @grapeskittles4lyfe IMO I wouldn’t worry about a middle initial matching/not matching other siblings. How often do you even use your middle name anymore (or their middle names now)? I can see it being slightly relevant for monograms if you’re into that, but as an adult I have never thought about my brother’s middle name (except right now). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @junebabyh my grandmother would and still only calls me Ande. She hates my name cause it's a crazy name. My parents nicknamed me Andra which I've always loved but no one calls me that anymore, my papa was the only one that did. My son has nickname is 
    @cmbt2 goodness names in this family are hard 😑 I have 3 SILs, 2 nephews and 4 nieces and my own. The 2nd SIL has no kids but a bunch of pets and therefore names she's used are out, my youngest SIL just likes to pick everything apart. The oldest just doesn't want any names similar to her kids names. It's like dealing with children. However the youngest wants to use the name Uriah if she ever has a boy and that was actually my great grandfathers name and is part of my dad's first name so I said that I wanted to use it too as a middle to recognize my dad cause Casey is hard to incorporate and she got so angry. I don't even care though because I do namesakes for family whereas she just likes old fashioned names so if I want to use it I will be!

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @grapeskittles4lyfe I really wouldn’t worry about matching the middle names. I only ever use it when yelling at them 😂
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    I am in the middle of tech week for my schools production of Shrek, so I haven't been on TB lately.  I feel like I missed so much!!  As far as name spelling, go with whatever you think fits!  My only comment is that as a teacher, it can be difficult and sometimes embarrassing to butcher someone's name on the first day.  Some spellings are so different don't even recognize the name as one I know, but I also figure its your kid, and your choice. I have an Elliott spelled with two ts at the end, a lot of people miss the extra T, but I don't think its a big deal.  (he's four, so as long as he can spell it, I'm good).  I also have a Weston, but that can also be spelled Westin or Westen.  Its just preference.  When I was pregnant with my first, I was dead set on a particular name (I don't even remember what it was anymore), but as soon as I saw Elliott I knew it wasn't right.  We didn't end up naming Wes till after he was born either.  I have a girl name I love, but I'm trying not to get too set on it, you never know!
  • Options
    My first name has a bit of a unique (but not outlandish) spelling and I’ve never minded. I actually kind of like it. My last name was and is also rather tricky, so I’m just used to it by now. I don’t correct people on spelling unless it’s an important document. 

I don’t often find things personalized, so at 5 weeks pregnant I bought a shot glass with my name on it! I doubt it will ever get used, but I had to get it!
  • Options
    Snaps816 said:
    I'm also not a fan of "unique" spellings of names. You're just going to doom your kid to a lifetime of having to spell it out and correct people, and never finding personalized items in their name. I saw one naming poll where the mom was considering the name "Devid." If you do that, your son is literally going to have to say, "It's like David, but with an E" multiple times daily for his entire life. I hope he has a cheerful disposition to deal with that. And no one's going to be like "hey, this Devid guy must be really unique and interesting, he's got an E instead of an A in his name!" 

Just my two cents. Sorry if anyone on here is named Devid, lol. 
    I had a high school boyfriend named Tylar. His mom was the only person that pronounced the a. She'd get mad he wouldn't correct people and call himself Ty-lar instead of tyler. He hated it😔 

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    In what I do, I see a lot of “unique” spellings (and these are adults who didn’t correct it or change it once adulthood). Trust me, spelling matters. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    So back to names here. I'm really not feeling Raylan with Declan and Delanie. I'm picky about names but I told my SO he could pick the first name for this baby since I took over naming the last two. But I really don't like Raylan. Not to mention he has an uncle Ray and uncle Roy no one likes at all.
    Our DS is Declan Adrian Donald
    Our DS is Delanie Kaye Lynn
    The next will have Ronald as a 2nd middle name if a boy. Girl is undecided as my SIL took Anna for her daughter and I already honored my female family with Lynn
    With that, I'm not big on the D chain, though everyone keeps saying we should do another D. It wasn't ever supposed to be that way, it came about by accident 😂 I like different names, but not crazy spellings(my name's crazy enough) we're going green so boy or girl names. Some names I like for ideas, hit me with what you got 😂😍 SO family is Irish, his last name is hard to place anything with. I'm going to out it cause it's hard to place names with without seeing: Dickey
    Girl names I like:
    Averille, Kierra, Adelaide, Pheobe, Serena, Leandra, Alessandra, (my nickname was Andra growing up and I'd love to pass that on!), Lorraine, Irene, Lydia(SO picked), Coressa, Denise and Diedra(the only other D girl names I like lol) 
    Boys: Blake, Brendan, Brantner(my great grandmas Maiden name, the family line died out and I've always loved it), Axel, Jax(both SO picked, SOA🙄), Asher, Bentley, Brigan(book character but I love the name), Quentin, Casey(middle name for my dad), Casper(SO hates this name I love it😂), Griffin
    Hit me with what you got, I'd appreciate any help!!!😔😂

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @andromedacorrine2 I’m not a fan of continuing letter trends for the sake of continuing the trend, but love when it’s just coincidental. 

DD will have the same first initial as DS1 and the same middle initial as DS2. Purely coincidental, but I can’t help but laugh at the symmetry 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    I actually despise synchronized names 😂😂 our first pick for DS didn't work how we wanted and we found his name and fell in love, DD I had 3 girl names I was stuck between and it came to Delanie being the only one no one took issue with 😂 now I want a different name and I don't like the R names so far 😂 SO like Griffin alot too but 2nd SIL is against that name cause she had a couple worker that was odd named that. But I don't really care 😂

• Options
    @andromedacorrine2 I would not let SIL influence you too much. The decision is between you and your H! I get wanting important people in your life to like the name you choose, but at the end of the day you've just got to name your kid what YOU want. Your SIL will love her nephew or niece no matter what his/her name ends up being. PS. I like Griffin.
  • Options
    This was the issue we had the last time and why my DD has the name she has. This time around no family will know the names til after they're signed on the papers 😂 I just remembered her stating she hated that name cause of a guy she had work for her when I pregnant with DS cause I wanted it to be part of his name🙄🙄 I really like Griffin, it's always been one of my favorite names. I'm at a loss for middle names cause I'm picky about how they clash, and Casey Ronald is too many short constants in a row for me 😂😂

• Options
    We've had a girl name picked out since 2014. I loved it. Ryelynn Barbara. Our first three ended up being boys. Since picking the name my husband's cousin who we see regularly has become engaged to a guy with a son named Ryland. And it has destroyed the name Ryelynn for us. They're just too close. We were set on Barbara for a middle as it's after my husband's mom who passed away so we've been trying to find a name that would work for Barbara as a middle name but can't come up with anything. I WAS against using Barbara as a first name. But now rethinking that. Thinking the name Barbara Rose for a girl. Only I don't want her to be called Barbie I like Bobbi as a nickname. My husband doesn't. Rose is after me as it's my middle name. Our three boys all have middle names that are family names. 
    Our boy name is Kase Kyle. We think... Our older boys all have four letter names. Wasn't done on purpose but now I want to stick with it. My husband wanted Kyle as a first name but I don't want to do a name of living relatives and he has a cousin named Kyle. So it's off the table as a first name. 
    Our three kids are named John III (who is called Cash), Gage and Hank. 
  • Options
    @andromedacorrine2 What about Rylan? My friend named her daughter this and I always thought it was super cute. Could work for both a boy or girl.
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• Options
    @stephanie123456 that is a cute name! 
    SO picked Donovan the other night when we were sitting talking about it 😂 Donovan Owen Ronald is what we're leaning too now. Girls name is still up in the air 😂

• Options
    @jenferlee82 love the name!! 💝
  • Options
    @jenferlee82, so exciting that you guys are decided on a name!! ❤
  • Options
    @jcbh2018 I love Jane as a middle name. Our first girl (if we have one) would have Rose as a middle name (that’s mine) but if we’d have a second I’d definitely use Jane 
  • Options
    I'm so tired, we only have 3 boy names that I even remotely like and of them I hate 2/3 nicknames haha. The list is:
    Raphael (top choice but no nice nickname)
    Maxim (once again, I dislike the nickname)
    Elias (I actually like the nickname Eli but it's 3rd choice)

Am I crazy to let nicknames dictate this? But they're really important right?

*Disclaimer: I'm team green so I don't even know if this will be an issue, but want to be prepared just in case
  • Options
    marbellie said:
    I'm so tired, we only have 3 boy names that I even remotely like and of them I hate 2/3 nicknames haha. The list is:

*Disclaimer: I'm team green so I don't even know if this will be an issue, but want to be prepared just in case
    I don’t think a nickname should dictate your choice at all. 
    My sons name is Elliott. There’s no nickname for that. If anything we give him every nickname in the book of “unclassified nicknames”. “Turkey Burger” 
    “Banana Boat” ”Peanut Butter Butt” “Crab Cake” (for when he’s crabby) lol. Anyways, I say, if you like a name. Go with your gut. 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    marbellie said:

No, nicknames aren’t important. DS1 goes by his legal name, which 95% of the time is nicknamed. He refuses to answer to nicknames, TBH
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @jenferlee82 I agree, my family (well parts anyway) are very big with nick names "Cass" is mine and that's what everyone calls me. Now I have family in Ireland and the prior generation did NOT they used our full names. My daughter though her name is Mary so we really can't shorten that. I don't like Mare (but some of the day care teachers do call her Mare Bear ha ha which I think is precious).

Still struggling on a nickname for Elizabeth (if its a girl) I'm leaning towards Ella though since her middle name will be Anne.
  • Options
    @cass005 I love the nickname Ella. That's what we've been calling Brielle already. My dad is already calling her Bri and I'm okay with that too. Part of why I picked Brielle is that it has several good nickname options. I think Ella is a cute and unique spin on Elizabeth!
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    cmbt2 said:
    marbellie said:

No, nicknames aren’t important. DS1 goes by his legal name, which 95% of the time is nicknamed. He refuses to answer to nicknames, TBH
    I disagree - to me, nicknames are important. I thought a lot about them when choosing our potential names! I think it's an individual thing, and there's nothing wrong with letting it factor into your name choices.
    It’s definitely a personal thing, but OP asked if nickname options were really important. I don’t see it as a thing that should be a deciding factor, but I also see im in the minority. It’s more kid dependent when they get older, anyway. My mother refused to ever let anyone nickname my name, but all my friends did it anyway, which was my preference for close friends. 🤷🏼‍♀️

All my kids have nickname-able names, but only DS2 goes by one. I don’t even think he really knows his legal name at this age 🤦🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @marbellie, if nicknames are important to you, you can always come up with one unrelated to the name. Also, if you do go with Raphael, the Raphael on Jane the Virgin is frequently called "Raph" and it's super cute.
  • Options
    @marbellie I think you should definitely consider if you like or dislike the nickname. My son's name is Patrick and I reallllllly do not like Pat for a baby/child. We almost didn't name him that because I was so against the nickname, but DH assured me he'd help correct people who called him Pat. And we've been very successful at making sure he's always called the full name. There are some people (MIL in particular and her friends) who call him Pat. I have stopped correcting her because... I just don't have the energy! But 95% percent of the people we know and love call him Patrick. I am kind of ok with Pat when he becomes an adult and I don't have any control over what people call him, but I will always and forever call him Patrick. You can make whatever you want happen with the name while he is young.
    @galentine and @Cass005 I love Libby so much as a nn for Elizabeth. It was on my shortlist for DS2 before he turned out to be a boy. Elizabeth is classy and timeless, and Libby is spunky and fun!
  • Options
    galentinegalentine member
    edited April 2019
    @junebabyh and @Cass005, I am seriously obsessed with Elizabeth and it's nicknames. I would soooo love a little daughter Birdie! But Elizabeth has already been used by close family, so it's a no-go for us. 😥 I'll have to live vicariously through other Elizabeths!
  • Options
    I also think you should consider nicknames. Mostly if the name can be shortened to a nickname you don’t like. For example, a friend of mine named her son Andrew. She said before he was born she hated the nickname Andy and only want people to call him Andrew. Welp. He is older now and a lot of his friends call him Andy. That has definitely made me think about possible nicknames and if I’m okay with them or not. It’s ultimately not something you can decide for the kids when their older. 

I think DH and I have decided on a name if it’s a boy. But I have a question kind of going off this discussion of nicknames. 

We love the name Nathan. Is that a stand alone name or would it make sense to name him Nathaniel and call him Nathan. Or is Nathan okay by itself?