July 2019 Moms

Christmas announcement idea

hello mamas :) I’m really a lurker here, I’m not due until first week of August but they don’t have an August group yet. 
i have my first doctors appointment the 13th, where I will get a scan. (I’m 5 weeks, so I’ll be almost 7 when I go in)

We are telling our families on Christmas Day 
we are going to wrap either the u/s picture or onsie or shoes or something to tell them!

what do you think would be the best thing to wrap to tell them?!? 

Re: Christmas announcement idea

• My family has a tradition to open one gift on Christmas Eve. It's how my husband proposed to me 13 years ago, so I'm very excited to use the tradition to announce the first grandchild to my family! I will have three gender neutral onesies wrapped and it will say "from ???" I want them to all open at the same time and see them freak out! I'm also considering a maternity shirt for Christmas day that says "best gift ever" on the tummy. I think that's how we'll announce to DH's family since they won't be with us.  I'm 7+6 so not showing yet, but I figure it will work in spring too!

Good luck with your announcement! I'd love to hear how it goes!

Anyone else doing a Christmas announcement? What are you doing?
  • I’m doing a Christmas announcement! We are getting my 2 & 3 year old boys a Christmas panama photoshoot. They’ll be taking pictures with the ultrasound! We will probably frame it and wrap it and give it to my MIL. 
  • Loading the player...
  • brewsterboobrewsterboo member
    edited December 2018
  • We told my parents the day after Thanksgiving with an ornament. It was 3 snowmen and I wrote our names on their tummies, and "New Baby" on the 3rd one.
  • We're doing a stocking announcement.  Our last name is something that you sometimes see on Christmas stockings, so I ordered a stocking with that on it that says Baby _, Summer '19.  I'll be 13 weeks at Christmas, which is just a week shy of when I would've announced anyway and close enough that I'm comfortable jumping the gun a bit since it's so perfect.  
  • Hi fellow first week of August due date buddy! Glad I'm not the only one lurking here on the July board. If all goes well, we are hoping to tell DH's parents and our siblings on Christmas as well. We are planning to do a picture of DD. I love to bake; so we are planning to have DD playing with kitchen bowls and kitchen utensils with a recipe book out. The recipe book will be open to a recipe for a sibling.
  • We will be telling our families at Christmas I’ll be 12 wks that Friday. We order a little Christmas gift box that has a tiny stocking inside with a note that reads “ Santa’s not the only one coming to town” we’re expecting July 2019 😊
  • JNR6510 said:
    Hi fellow first week of August due date buddy! Glad I'm not the only one lurking here on the July board. If all goes well, we are hoping to tell DH's parents and our siblings on Christmas as well. We are planning to do a picture of DD. I love to bake; so we are planning to have DD playing with kitchen bowls and kitchen utensils with a recipe book out. The recipe book will be open to a recipe for a sibling.
    Yay! I’m glad I’m not alone lurking here. I got my positive really early and haven’t even had my first doctors appointment so I’m just lurking around, my appointment is the week before Christmas so we are going to announce on Christmas we just can’t figure out how 
  • I have a tiny Santa hat that I can bobby pin to my head. Here's a photo of my cat modeling it for scale:

Everyone always asks about it when I wear it, so I'm thinking of wearing it to my IL's big Christmas brunch. When they ask, I'll point to my head with one hand and to my belly with the other and say, "Tiny hat for the tiny human." (Hopefully they won't interpret it as a short joke.)

Still not exactly sure if that's what I want to do. Do I need a better line?
  • @hestia14 is there anyway you could pin the hat to your shirt around the belly area. When people ask, you can say you wanted the baby to have a Santa hat too! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @nolemomma14 I think I can! I like that idea! :)
  • That’s where I thought you were going! Pin it to your belly! I think that’s fun!
  • For my first pregnancy announcement Christmas 2015 we gave the whole family mugs with their new title (eg. grandma, grandpa, auntie, etc.). We had everyone open them at the same time. They freaked out! It worked really well.  This time we’re having my son wear a shirt on Christmas Day that says “this little elf is being promoted to big brother”. Same idea as @Happyin14. That’s if we can hide it until then of course. 
  • I did stockings to announce DD. We all have kind of large stockings with our names on them... I got a smaller one that matched and had "baby" embroidered. Kind of cool that I get to reuse that one again! This time, I just put the stocking inside the "Mom" one. (It's not for an announcement, just for my house) ... I'm not sure how I'll announce.... it will be in Jan probably. This is #3, so I'm not making a huge deal. 
  • My son (2) is an avid present opener so for my side and the IL we are having him open a special present that has a shirt inside saying that he is going to be a big brother. Just putting it in a bag with tissue so it's easy to rewrap for each Christmas. I was thinking of adding more baby stuff to the bag but if they don't get it from reading the shirt I'm gonna be at a loss for words.
  • My sister's birthday is new year. She loves our 2yo, loves being auntie. I'm making her a tee that says Aunt Tourage, and getting her some of her favorite tea as well. I'm going to package them up, tea on top of tee, on top of a card that says this:

One amazing Aunt
    Two kinds of 'T'
    Auntie + Nephew + (flip over)

Back will have a pic of the sono and says New Nibling makes Three!
  • I think we are going to do the Christmas stocking idea too to tell our families and close friends. We'll send a picture. We probably wont do a social media announcement until closer to 20 weeks. It's baby 3 in three years so just feel like waiting longer...
  • @brake09 love it so much!! Your kiddo is so cute!!😍 😍 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @brake09 That's SO perfect!
  • I think we’re going to announce publicly on New Year’s Day with a “new year, new baby” caption. I have the sister bear shirt for DD and a baby bear onesie I’m going to post with the ultrasound picture beside it. 
  • @mixitupmel LOVE the pacifier idea! That's so freaking cute! We're doing the same thing with my family that you're doing with your in laws. The onesies are wrapped and under the tree!!!

Rant: DH says he wants to tell his mother in a conversation by himself. I'm kind of POd because I want to be a part of it too and hear first hand her reaction and joy. They don't have the best relationship so I think that is playing a part, but I still think it should be us as a couple telling her. Is that selfish of me?
  • @mixitupmel, I LOVE these ideas!! 

I am now torn... was gonna have my son wear a Big bro t-shirt and just let people figure it out. But I’m not wholly sure I’m ready for him to know? I guess we might as well rip the bandaid off at the same time. He’s just gonna ask SO MANY QUESTIONS.
  • We are announcing to DD (9 years old) on Christmas. We do elf on the shelf so I’m going to type up a letter from her and put it in an envelope in the tree to open last. She’ll find out the elf is getting to stay a day longer. We got a baby elf from Etsy that will be in a play crib my grandpa made many years ago. Where she’ll have to put it all together that she’s getting a sibling! She’s starting to catch on so it’s really hard to keep it in for 2 more weeks! She asked me if I put something in my belly the other night because it looked bigger! Then last night she told me that she thinks I’m hiding something from her lol.

For our parents, we went a little crazy when Toys R Us went out of business last summer and bought crib, car seat, multiple bases, and strollers. Parents all know we did this and we’ve been storing them at my MIL’s. We are going to wrap 2 of the bases and have parents open those last when we celebrate Christmas with each side. I can’t wait to let the secret out!
  • @cindler I think you have a right to be there if you want to be. Maybe talk to him about the reasons he wants to do it alone vs supporting the concept of "our" baby (some grandparents have trouble acknowledging that the grandbaby is BOTH their child's and their spouse's, so if that's a risk id want to start off on the right foot in that regard) but I could also be over analyzing.  And you said their relationship has been rocky,  so perhaps it DOES objectively make sense for him to do it alone.

Not sure if I've helped, but hopefully my thoughts help you figure out if it's worth  addressing with him. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• @cindler thank you!!! :smiley: definitely not selfish of you at all! even if the relationship between the two isn't the greatest, you should still be included. maybe your presence might help ease any tension. however things like this are always so hard, only you know the true circumstances and if you feel like you should be there you should definitely at least discuss it. 

• @Happyin14 how old is he? my daughter is 10, and i told her the night i told my hubbs. it took a night for it to sink in with her. she wasn't as excited as i had thought she would be. but the next day she showed the excitement and now she shows concern for me when she sees im sick or tired. :blush: AND she keeps telling me she hopes it's a sister lol. im like 50/50 chance there. no guarantees!  :p 

As a sidenote, we definitely want my daughter a part of our social media announcement after the first trimester. 

• @nopegoat thank you so much! I can’t wait for family and friends to see it!
  • So precious right next to the tree @shawnacrest
  • @quinniebear thank you so much!! 
  • @foodislove thank you so much!!
  • We're doing xmas announcements this weekend early with an ugly sweater. My husband's says Feliz Navi DAD. Mine has a snowman face,  and then a mini snowman face on the belly.  I'm gonna wear the same one at work on "holiday apparel" day (I'll be 11 weeks and my coworkers are already asking me bc they know we are trying). Not sure how we are going to announce on xmas eve to my family.  We may do the same sweaters. 
  • We're announcing with our Christmas cards.  We hand most of our cards out in person so we'll get to see everyones reactions.  I'm going to mail the rest of them out super late so they get them right before or after Christmas (its fitting for my life  :D )The front is one of our family pictures from our most recent photo shoot and the back is a 3 photo collage we did on our own.  Pic 1 is my oldest holding wooden letters that say "HO".  Pic 2 is youngest holding the letters and pic three is hubby holding the letters "OH" in front of my stomach.  So it says "HO, HO, OH" then at the bottom I put the text "HERE WE GROW JULY 2019" 

We'll do social media announcement after our next u/s on Jan. 2nd 
  • @mixitupmel, he’s 4. My H and I talked and we can’t tell everyone else and not him. Plus it feels like a good moment to start making me part of all this which is important. My favorite, though, is when my H said he wanted to tell our son not to tell EVERYONE he knows. I just laughed hysterically. Of course he will!

so we will wrap a new t-shirt that says Big bro and a book as a special early present. Then, have him wear the shirt around at Christmas!