May 2019 Moms
Options

Genetic Testing

Re: Genetic Testing

• Options
    @kayforever I didn’t get an NT scan either.  Not sure if office doesn’t do it or my insurance just doesn’t cover it.  With my first pregnancy, really the only ultrasound I got was the 20 week anatomy scan and they was really because they fudged a little on my measurements for insurance to cover it.  This time since i am over 35 (almost 40) a few more ultrasounds are covered but not just for routine basis. 
  • Options
    @kayforever My OB recommended NIPT and had blood drawn at week 10. I asked if we could also do NT scan and he said he doesn’t do them or recommend them because NIPT is more accurate at 99% and he doesn’t like if NT shows something different and patient will have a hard time forgetting those results over NIPT. My results of NIPT were available in 11 business days 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dfirstimerdfirstimer member
    edited November 2018
    @kayforever also, just in case it helps, at my first appointment at wk 8, they took blood to test for various illnesses like measles, confirm my blood type and do the Horizon test which is to check if one is a carrier for cystic fibrosis, duchene, etc. They also did a test to confirm no STI’s and checked sugar and protein levels. At wk 10 I gave blood for NIPT (Panorama) then wk 12 was just another US and check up plus urine and blood test because I have thyroid issues and chance for me to ask more questions. At wk 16 will do test to see risk of spinal bifeda and other similar issues and then a anatomical scan at wk 20
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm pretty sure my first appointment blood work was very similar to yours @dbfirstimer

I think I'm going to bring uo the NIPT with husband again this weekend, and see how much it will cost / whether it's covered by insurance. I think I'd like to do it to have more info. 
  • Options
    @kayforever FWIW, I did the Counsyl prenatal NIPT, and my dr said they don't do an NT ultrasound if you do the NIPT. The ultrasound tech said they still informally look for the same markers in an ultrasound around that same time (in my case, 10 weeks), so they felt confident from that. My Counsyl NIPT was not covered by insurance but will cost just $199 out of pocket.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So I got my progeny blood drawn and was told over the phone that the test failed and they needed new blood. Cool, whatever.

Go in today to offer up more of my blood and the doctor pulls us aside. The test for the baby's DNA failed but mine came back and I am a premutation carrier for Fragile X syndrome.

Kinda freaking out tbh.

They took hubby's blood to see if he's a carrier but even so if we have a boy it's a 50/50 chance he will present with symptoms.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @kayforever your insurance probably won’t cover it bc you are 27 unless you have some genetic risk factors in your family history.  But as others have said you can call and get an out of pocket price.

@missmcgonnagal I’ve never heard of that.  Just googled and I don’t blame you for freaking out!!  Hopefully if your LO is a boy he is only a carrier and doesn’t have symptoms.  
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal I am so sorry for your news. That is hard to swallow. I am hoping that it all works out and your baby does not present with symptoms. Can they test the fetus ahead of time? Will it show up in the fetal DNA testing?
  • Options
    @kayforever it completely depends on your practice, risk level, and likely state (or maybe county?) plus perhaps insurance. In California, it's standard. Literally everyone can get it. The blood work that's associated is run by/through the state so they have all of the records for statistical purposes (which doesn't bother me but you can opt out).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @missmcgonnagal Ahhhhh that is very very helpful information. And probably not something you ever would have realized if you hadn't had the testing done. 
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal sorry I missed your first note about that. It looks like you've done some great research. Will you also get to talk to a genetic counselor? I definitely freaked out about my cystic fibrosis carrier diagnosis but since DH ended up not having it, we just need to worry about our children being carriers for *their* children. My cousin is a carrier, as is my sister but they found out after my test. While I'm sure it's scary, it's great that you were able to get a good understanding of the possible outcomes. While I'm sure no one would wish anxiety, depression, ADD, etc. on their children, it sounds like you'd be great parents to any children with those issues.

• Options
    @missmcgonnagal did they test out further than the initial? I was a permutation carrier but they did further testing to discover it was negligible and my son is completely normal- not a carrier at all. I forget what it’s called but something with alleles and testing repeats. Ask your geneticist!
  • Options
    Had my NT scan on Tuesday and waiting to hear back. But me and my husband did decide not to find out the gender.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    My NT came back abnormal with a measurement of 3.4. I have not gotten my blood test results back yet but I got the serum test and the NIPT. I’m 30. It’s been a horrible time waiting. 

Also sounds like regardless of these reaults, the rest of my pregnancy will be a bunch of tests and unknowns. All of my excitement is gone and replaced with fears.
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal Im so sorry about the results.  But great job doing your research! Nobody would blame you for freaking out.  

knottie18e7f623e51e4053 im sorry about your NT results.  I don't have any advice as I've never had that test done. But please change your screename to something more easily recognizable so we can get to know you better.  

• Options
    @missmcgonnagal, sorry about those results...but, agree 100% that the research that you did and the bordering pre-mutation status that you're currently in overall means a VERY LOW risk of either a boy or girl child of yours having the actual condition. That's great news to hold onto and stay optimistic! Once you have your husband's carrier status, I'm sure the genetic counselor and your OB will advise you further re: amnio vs. testing of the baby once they're born. Stay hopeful and please keep us posted!

PS - If it makes you feel any better, I'm a carrier for 4 pretty awful, neurologically-devastating or metabolic/life-altering conditions (just found out about the 4th this go around)...my husband was tested for 3 (and just sent a sample for the 4th) and by some stroke of luck and probably his genetic variance, was negative for all! I'm hoping it works out similar for you as well.

• Options
    @journey721 They haven't done any tests beyond the initial so far. I'm going to call the genetic counselor on Tuesday. We're waiting for my husband's results to come back atm. I'm thinking I'm pretty low-risk because of my low number of repeats. Hearing your experience definitely helps put me at ease!

@gabadoo Thank, I will keep everyone posted. Right now I just keep reminding myself that none of these results indicate that we'll get anything other than children who may have some issues the same as hubs and I have ... which we kind of expected anyway. 

One thing that I find interesting about this whole thing is that even if our children do get it, the way it presents is so ... weird. For example, girls who get Fragile X (have it on both X chromosomes) but only have milder cases of it sometimes present with things like excessive shyness, while boys (just on one X) will present with hyperactivity. Those things are basically just personality traits, to a certain extent. I'm really so thankful that my repeat number was so very low, so that even if our kids do get it, it's unlikely they'll get the serious manifestations. Instead they'll be shy or hyperactive, which to me is just who they'll be.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow @missmcgonnagal sorry for those results. Great information and I'm glad to hear you have such a low occurrence, plus the encouraging similar stories from others. 

I did my panorama testing on 10/29 and called dr office after 2 weeks asking for results, they said they didn't have enough fetal DNA to get results so they needed to redraw my blood as well. I went the same day for the blood draw, but I was telling the lab tech that I was sad, because we wanted to do a gender reveal on Thanksgiving since all family will be there. Well only time will tell now whether the results will come back in time. 
  • Options
    @purplejoymommy Fx you get them before Thanksgiving!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    That is spectacular news @missmcgonnagal !

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal awesome to see about the results !
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal glad of the positive results 
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal, AMAZING news! So glad to hear that the baby doesn't had a critical number of repeats and that the lab worked so fast to get you these reassuring results.

Hoping for similar turnaround time for my NIPT. Had blood drawn 1 week ago, called the company to confirm receipt early this week and they told me results should be ready by Monday to be released to my doctors. Too bad there's no patient portal for direct access. I'm going to gently nudge/remind the OB in the morning at my appt. that I'm eager to know the results before Thanksgiving! It's also my birthday this weekend, so it would be awesome to have reassuring news.
  • Options
    Happy birthday and good luck, @gabadoo
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal that is fabulous news!!
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal I was happy for you before but after watching an episode last night of a show where a child had Fragile X, I am EVEN MORE happy for you and this baby <3<3<3

• Options
    I just got the call from my midwife that my serum screen (not nipt testing) came back as an increased risk for Trisomy 18. I now have to follow up with an NIPT test. I feel pretty blindsided because we already did a preimplantation genetic screening (pgs) on the embryo before I got pregnant when we did IVF and obviously according to that genetic test the baby is perfectly healthy. Trying to remain positive but it’s not working. I have a genetic counseling appointment Wednesday to discuss risk. 
  • Options
    @jkduer so sorry you are having to go through this.  We did pgs and then the nipt - we skipped a serum test - nipt was covered since I am over 35.   Prayers that everything comes back okay!
  • Options
    Good luck @jkduer. Good thing you don't have to wait too long. 
  • Options
    @bpietronicco I had fully intended on skipping the serum test but the tech at my NT scan scared me into it. Wishing now I had stuck to my plan and just gone straight to NIPT. 

@knarlytaurus thank you. Hoping I feel better after the appointment.
  • Options
    @jkduer do you get the NIPT done on Wednesday, or is it just a consult? 
  • Options
    @jkduer sorry to hear about the serum test. Hope NIPT gives you reassuring results. Hopefully they can get the results to you quick.
  • Options
    @knarlytaurus The appointment is just for the genetic counseling but my lab is always open for drop ins so I’m sure I can do both. That’s what I’m hoping at least. I’m also hoping they expedite tests for prior positive screenings.

@dfirstimer Thank you. 
  • Options
    @jkduer good luck with the NIPT. Hoping you get some helpful clarity tomorrow.

• Options
    @jkduer. With DD1, that test came back high risk for Trisomy 18. I think 1 in 81 chance. Did NIPT and she is perfectly fine. I believe that tests has a high rate of false high risk screens. 
    DD1- Feb 2015
    DD2- EDD 5/12/2019
  • Options
    @coffeeislife Thanks so much for sharing your story. It’s very reassuring. Hoping to have positive news in a few weeks when we get NIPT results. 
  • Options
    @jkduer I am so sorry you have to go through all of that. I will post in another post about my story but the waiting is awful.