May 2019 Moms
Options

Genetic Testing

Re: Genetic Testing

• Options
    @kvh22 That's good to know. I also was not AMA last time I was pregnant so maybe that was why my doctor did not think both were medically necessary. I haven't seen him yet this pregnancy, so I'm not sure. I'm also not knowledgeable about the different kinds of NIPT, just in my case I did NT and blood test with DS1 and with DS2 only the Harmony test. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @misskimsue I'll be 30 when I deliver and low-risk but the NT ultrasound is super standard in California so that may play into it. My OB said it was a few structural things they can see from the ultrasound that don't come up in bloodwork.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kvh22 Oh okay. I live in Oregon and NT is definitely standard here too. The Harmony test was what wasn't standard back then. I will bring it up this time when I see him, so thanks for sharing your experience. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I had asked my dr about the differences but a lot went over my head during the appt. I appreciate the info! 
  • Options
    I had the MaterniT21 test with my first (I was 31) and it was covered by insurance. It's because I have a 2nd cousin with Down Syndrome. I'll be getting it again this time for sure being AMA.
  • Options
    I’m having my test with Panorama done Monday. I decided to do it because of our previous two losses, and not knowing the cause of those. 

I had it done when I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago and it was covered by insurance, but they had found a spot on her heart on her anatomy scan. The spot can be a marker for Down syndrome so maybe that’s why it was covered? I’m not sure. 

Im also having my Nuchal on the 30th. 

were going all out this time and having a gender reveal, so I can’t wait to do that! 
  • Options
    @aels12 I had both with my last pregnancy.  This time since we already know I’m going to MFM I’ll have the genetic testing and MFM will look for the neck measurement when they do their US.
  • Options
    My NT scan and genetic testing is Nov 6.
  • Options
    chloe97 said:
    For some reason my insurance didn’t cover the test with DD even though I was 37 and had a prior chromosomal abnormality. I think it had to do with the way Panorama billed them. I got a letter in the mail from my insurance company when DD was 3 months old explaining this- so well after the test. I never got a bill. A friend I work with had the same issue (so it may have been my insurance). Anyway, this is going to sound sinister, but it’s not competition that is keeping them from charging more than a few hundred bucks, they want your genetic data.

Im not a science person, so I won’t explain it right but  these companies need as many cases as possible to build up their data sets so that they can prove statistical significance. Fetal testing is just a tip of the iceberg for them as they will move into other DNA-type testing for cancer, etc. 
    @chloe97 Lmao you totally sound sinister but you're not wrong,  either!! Yes,  those companies definitely want our genetic data.  What they are going to use it for is anyone's guess.  But there is also truth in that insurance companies are getting more competitive and they want to attract more healthy patients.  

• Options
    Question- when you go in for the NT scan, is there an interview piece where they ask both parents about family history? I vaguely remember this from my first pregnancy, but that was 14 years ago (yikes!) and I didn’t do testing with the other 2.

I ask because I am not in a relationship w/ the baby’s father. He wanted me to have an abortion, and I recently had to block him on my phone because his negative texts were causing me too much stress. BUT, because I don’t know much at all about his family history, I won’t be able to answer any questions on his behalf. Wondering if it’s worth asking him to come with me to the appointment.
  • Options
    @siouxieq87 I was given a questionnaire to fill out prior to my first visit with a nurse. A bunch of family questions were on there. You could contact your office and ask what type of info they'll need, them see if he'll just give you the answers. Sorry you're in this situation!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@siouxieq87 I just had mine this morning and there was nothing. But, I know my midwives had sent over any relevant information already.

If you don't want to have contact with him, I wouldn't bother. You wouldn't be the first to not have the father's family history and I'm sure they have procedures to deal with that situation.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @siouxieq87 plenty of people are adopted and don’t have the info — I wouldn’t worry about it.  If for some reason they see something in the scan that makes something specific about his history more important, you can decide if you want to call and ask at that point. 
  • Options
    can people who have gotten the panorama share when they got their blood taken and when they received results. It's been 1 week exactly for me today and I'm dying over here! I know what they say the window is-- just looking for real experiences. Thanks! 
  • Options
    @willmisspumpkinbeer With DD. I got my blood drawn for Panorama on November 30th (a MOnday) and results were on December 12th (a Friday) so exactly 10 business days. The wait was awful. I have my draw this Friday, so I will be joining you in the big wait soon!
  • Options
    @siouxieq87 I wouldn’t worry about having the information. I’m adopted, so I have zero family health history and it wasn’t an issue with my prior pregnancy or this one. 
  • Options
    Got blood drawn today for Counsyl...they say results in ~ 2 weeks. Fx for low risk results.

We want to know the sex but have it given to us by our dr office so we can do some kind of gender reveal with our DD.....

That was a very silly thing to say - our DD is 2 years old and has no idea whats going on - so maybe it's more for us and for the photos :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OMG OMG I’m freaking out for you @willmisspumpkinbeer!! Let us know when you hear! And I’m glad to hear that the turn around was 6 business days for you!
  • Options
    I got my test done on October 11the with results on the 17th, unfortunately it came back with low fetal DNA which means they didn't have enough DNA to have the results.  It also could be an indication of chromosomal abnormalities which has me freaking out.  I am AMA and was with my last pregnancy 3 years ago which came back low risk however I ended up having to get an amnio because she had a spot on her heart and only 2 vessels in her umbilical chord which are both soft markers for Downs.  Thankfully she is a healthy little munchkin but this baby has me worried.  My doctor did say that because I am overweight that could cause the low fetal DNA which I had no idea about.  Feeling super worried, I already took the 2nd test and am hoping for the results on Wednesday.  Fx I get low risk.  
  • Options
    @MalonT23 I’m sorry you’re going through this. I know how frustrating it can be. I’m overweight too and was planning to get my test at 9+5 and now I’m second guessing that decision. FX it was simply too early and the next test shows more fetal DNA.
  • Options
    @chloe97 my doctor says there is not enough fetal DNA before 10 weeks and even then it can not be enough.  He is making me wait until 12 weeks to be sure.
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 Panorama specifies that you just need to be after 9 weeks. I went back and checked my panorama tests with DD and I had the draw at 9+5 (which is what I will be Friday) and I had a fetal DNA percentage of 8.8% and they need 3.4%. Even though I’m 25 lbs heavier this time, I feel like I should be okay to get the 3.4%. I may wait until Monday just to feel safer.
  • Options
    @aels12 we are on team low risk and not Getting the NT done. My husband and I don’t want to terminate the pregnancy. We’ll find out more on the 20w US. Worked for us last time.
  • Options
    I got my blood draw for the Counsyl test yesterday at 11+5. Commence the long wait!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am having a 2nd boy. I can't say I'm not disappointed. I can't imagine my life without a girl in it. I always pictured shopping for her and I always assumed I would have one one day. But, I dont want more than two kids ... maybe down the line I'll feel differently, but I'll probably end up with three boys 
    I love my boy but I just really really wanted a girl. I also feel incredibly guilty for crying right now 
  • Options
    @willmisspumpkinbeer don't feel bad for the way you feel! Sometimes we can't control our emotions and I think it's perfectly acceptable to feel them and process them in order to move past them. Eventually, I think your disappointment will be taken over by imagining the positives of having two boys.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @coffeeislife I hear you on the 2 week waiting for results. I found out I was a carrier for CF through my bloodwork at 11 weeks last time and it took 2 weeks for DH to go in and get the results processed and sent back to us to find out he wasn't a carrier. I can only imagine with Trisomy 18 how stressful that was. I go in Friday (maybe Thursday) for my 11 week blood work (state of CA stuff) and have the NT scan next Friday at 12 weeks. Still trying to decide if we'll shell out the $350 each for NIPT and expanded carrier screening. I was leaning towards not doing it but now, with the SCH, if something were to happen, I'd want to know if it were more likely genetic or b/c of the SCH. I'm also an information junkie but this wasn't an option at that price last time. It's still more than many of the negotiated rates I've seen for others but not astronomical since I'm only 29 so it's not covered by insurance.

@guitarra1614 not the place for this but just FYI that some people, even if they're low risk, trust science and want to have more information if possible - regardless of feelings on termination. Opting out of ultrasounds is your choice but you're making assumptions about people that aren't necessarily accurate. Plus everything that @chloe97 and @coffeeislife have said.

• Options
    I’m in the same boat @willmisspumpkinbeer. We are 2 and done so if this is a boy I know I will be disappointed on some level.  I am still so greatful that we are blessed with a hopefully healthy second child but I will probably need a day or so to absorb the info if it’s not a girl.  
  • Options
    @willmisspumpkinbeer I have two boys.  Was not pumped about it initially (they are twins so I found out within a couple weeks of each other that one and then the other was a boy...it was a lot to take in because at that point I wasn’t planning on a third). But IT IS SO GREAT.  I seriously love watching them play and the bond that they have. I was generally of the “ugh boys are so gross” mentality before I had them but have totally done a 180.  And boys love their mamas so much and so unconditionally.  Not that girls don’t also love their mamas but it can be much more complicated.  My boys think I am the best most beautiful person who ever lived 😉 I remember myself as a pre-teen and teen and there are advantages to not having to deal with all of that. 

I was wistful bc like you I always wanted a girl so I hoped for boy/girl twins — mainly bc I wanted a daughter to one day get married and have kids and be there for all of that stuff, way down the road.  But friends pointed out there’s no guarantee you will get that stuff just because you have a girl. She may not get married or have a wedding to plan with you, she may not have kids, etc.

We decided we wouldn’t have a third unless/until I genuinely didn’t care If it was a girl or not (didn’t want to be “trying for a girl”), and this time around I kind of want to be team green just because I genuinely don’t care.  It’s weird.  I will likely find out though, only because at the first ultrasound the tech said “maybe this one will be daddy’s little girl!” And I was like oh hell no I’m not listening to people hope it’s a girl for 9 months.  
  • Options
    @anonellis Thank you so much for your perspective. It's nice to hear how great your boys get along. 
  • Options
    sleepy33sleepy33 member
    edited October 2018
    Totally agree with what @anonellis said. I was unsure about how to feel about having a boy with my first, and now I wouldn't trade it for the world. And I remember how I was with my mom as a teenager and breathe a sigh of relief. I think it would still be fun to have a girl this time around, but then I think about how much my son would love a little brother to play with and my heart kinda melts. You really won't be disappointed either way in the long term, I promise. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @lovelybabybumpz a reason I think being team green is so cool is that you’re not going to have disappointment — when the baby comes, that’s all that matters. You don’t care and you can’t imagine it any other way.  When you find out at 12 weeeks pregnant all you can do is imagine what your life will be like vs what you expected it to be and you don’t really have perspective.  You know very little about your kid except the sex, so you make the sex into a big deal.  
  • Options
    @anonellis I loved this about being team green! I wanted to be surprised and wasn't worried about being disappointed as I didn't have a preference but like others have said, I think I would like one of each (although planning to have 3 total). I do have some birth order preferences - personally wanted a girl if I was only having one but wanted a boy as an oldest (hence, didn't really care last time). Now I want DD to have a sister but I also want a boy. Next time, I'd have stronger preferences depending on this baby but being team green is a great way to be so excited no matter what <3