December 2018 Moms

Question Thread

Re: Question Thread

• @maureenmce I will be doing a halo bassinet in our bedroom for the first few months.  Mostly because I don't really have room for a pack and play and we wouldn't have a use for it after those first few months.. and because my cousin is giving me the one she has used for her 2 kids now that her son is done with it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 2 cents on the extend 2fit... it IS a pain in the ass to clean. DS gets car sick every once in a while and cleaning it is a nightmare. Also, I don't know that we'll even be able to sue the extend feature completely because of the room in my car. I have a Ford Fusion and I don't see it extending much more and allowing for a passenger (Usually DH, who is 6'5") in the front seat. We'll probably check out some of the other recommendations from here pretty soon.  

Following for bassinet ideas. We had an arms reach co sleeper with DS and we couldn't get him to sleep in it. In fact, the only thing we could get him to sleep in was a rock and play. I didn't hear great reviews from friends who have used the Halo bassinet so we're still on the lookout. Anyone have experience with the Fisher Price Soothing  Motions bassinet?
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Loading the player...
  • @maureenmce DH built this sidecar bassinet for DD. It uses the same mattress as a mini crib. We used it for 6m and then sleep trained her in her own crib/ room. It was so nice that I could just grab her. 

• @maureenmce I thought I responded, but I guess not.  I would use a pack n play.  You can use the bassinet attachment in the beginning and then transition to the bottom after they outgrow the bassinet part.  My DD still sleeps in a pnp at my mother's every day for naps
  • @maureenmce  we will be using the same bassinet that I slept in as a baby until this little one is able to roll over, at which point he or she will move to the crib in the nursery. If you are looking at PNP’s there are tons on the resale groups, in my area, at least.

@hkom it took over a month for mine to not feel completely gigantic. Mine never went back to my pre-pregnancy size, though. I was disappointed because I already had a breast reduction, but I guess I should have waited until after I’m done nursing babies.

@gorgeousariel I love it!
  • @hkom mine never truly went back down, but they did feel fuller for the whole time I was BFing.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @maureenmce I agree with the pack n play suggestions. Bassinets have such small weight limits on them, at least with the pack n play you can move baby down to the bigger part to stay in your room until 6m+. 
    @hkom for me, once I was more regulated, after the first few weeks they stayed the same size until I had weaned. 
  • @PensiveCrayon Do you know which pack n play you have/recommend? I have a Graco (although unsure of the model at this point) and it's cumbersome to carry. I'd love a more travel friendly one for when we go to my dads, etc. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • @westcoastfoodie We just have the graco kind with none of the extra bells and whistles (like the newborn stuff). It is a bit cumbersome, but it has a carrying case, so that helps. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I never got one, but if I did get a travel crib, I would get this one with the side zipper — because bending over to put a sleeping toddler in sucks. 

https://www.guavafamily.com/products/lotus-travel-crib?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrfQqsc1daGC3eDvpFJ3zKEVWW5U9WC7h1hgxwapAh8fAICLkD5H18QaAm-uEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

and I just realized they have a version that converts from bassinet to travel crib! 
    https://www.guavafamily.com/products/lotus-bassinet/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrdQK_gQvOwYvFpBGP5yc4g4gt2Zzk90H8TPJtAbQ0HiIb7vHBtr-KAaAnJeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited October 2018
    @westcoastfoodie We got the baby bjorn travel crib.  I see that one and the lotus one posted by @Katzalia recommended a lot.  The baby bjorn is super lightweight and smaller than the P&P when packed up.  It fits in a suitcase too so it's good for travel.  It does not have the side zipper like the lotus though.  I just looked it up and it seems like the P&P is 23 pounds and the baby bjorn is 13.  We actually had a P&P and gave it to my parents because I wanted the baby bjorn.  I haven't used it yet though so I can't actually attest to its functionality!

ETA: Our current plan is to start our baby out in a bassinet and move him/her to the baby bjorn when the time comes.  I think we won't get a regular crib since our place is small.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We used the arms reach cosleeper for almost 8 months and it was great for middle of the night feedings and fit nicely in our bedroom. We also had a pack n play that we used in our living room that I would use the top portion to change his diaper or take with us for a sleeping space when we traveled. We had a graco and baby trend pack n play. Both were fine and traveled easily.
  • Hi ladies! I was active up until end of July and then time got away from me. My question is, can I still be part of the group or have I lost my chance? I felt like I couldn't keep up with everyone on this app and got overwhelmed, but I'd like to try again. Is it too late?
  • @Selina1313 I definitely recognize your avatar, so I’m comfortable having you! :) 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @Selina1313 yes definitely jump back in!! I recognize you :) 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @Selina1313 Jump on in!

Does anyone have or registered for a bassinet that vibrates but is a reasonable price? I went to buy buy baby yesterday and they had very few options. I really want it to vibrate because that helped a lot with dd1 but I’m really not willing to spend $250 for a halo.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @rosebud332 I got my halo from Facebook marketplace. I don't mind used things, as long as they seem in good condition, cleanish, and I can clean the parts that come into contact with baby.  I'm super happy with mine.  I hope baby loves it. 
  • Can anyone recommend a company to do cord Blood donation through? 
  • whit789whit789 member
    edited October 2018
    @katy0990 I used Cord Blood Registry with my son and it was easy to do, pretty seamless at the hospital. We haven’t had to use it, but have kept it for 3 years now.  Went with CBR because it was the largest bank at the time and our OB had good things to say.  Don’t know about their donation process though.
  • Baby kicks question:
    I am 32w3d today. I am fairly certain baby has been head down for about 3 weeks and her kicks so far have been very forceful. Over the last day or two, it's been feeling like the kicks have been less forceful and I am wondering if 32 weeks is when one might normally start to see a decrease in force because they are more cramped, or maybe she flipped more sideways? I definitely felt some weird "rolls" prior to this, so I wonder if she just turned away a bit so she isn't punching my abdomen as much..

• @ab_canada  she definitely could have switched position, I am be kicking you somewhere else that you are not feeling it as strongly or she could just be running out of room. I cannot remember where, but I read somewhere that the strongest movements typically happen between 24 and 28 weeks.
  • @ab_canada same here. He was SUPER active all weekend, now the last couple days he's been moving but I'm not feeling as many/as strong of movements. Pretty sure I felt him rolling around and possibly changing positions, too. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I hope this hasn't been asked yet but the search function won't limit to D'18 only for some reason.

Weight gain. I've always gained just over the recommended weight with my pregnancies but this go round there is no stopping it. I barely eat and when I do I try to keep it healthier, I am more active this pregnancy (even my husband has commented on how much more I'm doing this go round), but this is the only pregnancy my OB has discussed my weight gain and it's the most I've gained. And we still have almost 8 weeks to go! It's taking a toll on my body to have this much more weight on it and I'm in pain a lot from it but I do not know how to curb it. I already watch food intake, I move around a lot...
    Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have any advice?
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MDKC14 It sounds like you are doing everything you can! Every pregnancy is different and other than not gorging  yourself and getting plenty of exercise, there isn’t much you can do.
  • Unrelated, but yay for you coming to KC @PensiveCrayon!! I agree it can be a dangerous place for food though :joy: 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @PensiveCrayon I'll look into that. And yes, I joined a group on FB for restaurant recommendations and now have a good 20+ places I have to try here in KC. Not good! Lol

• @MDKC14 Haha! I thought you were also in KC...so you feel my and @CecilB93’s pain! :# Thankfully I’m not there full time...my last pregnancy was in Vegas so maybe that was part of the problem!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @katy0990 Re: donating cord blood
    I'll use Life Cord (via BeTheMatch) because the hospital I'll be delivering in is a participating hospital. If you're not delivering in a participating hospital, get a hold of them ASAP - they like to set things up (like collection kits!) before week 34. 

https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-cord-blood/how-to-donate-cord-blood/

I super hope that my stem cell-rich cord blood helps someone :heart: Still boggles my mind that something so life saving is discarded unless mothers indicate otherwise.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Oh! I do have a random question.

What's the deal with belly rubbing?

I am starting to think that I am the only baby-grower who doesn't constantly rub the bump. I honestly don't understand this compulsion. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @echo-charlietango Thanks! It amazes me, too, that there isn’t more of a push to donate it.
  • Oh! I do have a random question.

What's the deal with belly rubbing?

I am starting to think that I am the only baby-grower who doesn't constantly rub the bump. I honestly don't understand this compulsion. 
    I don't know why I do it. I'm sure there's some scientific reasoning behind it but I find myself rocking back and forth and rubbing it without even realizing I'm doing those things. It's weird.

• @MDKC14 Haha! I thought you were also in KC...so you feel my and @CecilB93’s pain! :# Thankfully I’m not there full time...my last pregnancy was in Vegas so maybe that was part of the problem!
    Omg, yes. Some of our friends own a bbq restaurant here and whenever we help out with it they're always pushing free food on us. It's hard to say no!

• @MDKC14 I do the same.  I'm a belly rubber.  I feel like it kind of soothes me, and when baby is awake and moving I will do it to try to calm her down too since the moving is weird to me and I'd rather she go back to sleep.   If I'm sore sometimes rubbing or holding the bump eases the pain a tiny bit. 

Maybe that's why @echo-charlietango.  I can't really figure out why else I would do it.
  • @echo-charlietango I rub my belly because I like to think the baby can feel it and it may be sitting or helping establish or relationship (as silly as that probably sounds).... Sometimes I'll catch myself doing it out in public and I'll make myself stop lol
  • Re: belly rubbing, kind of similar to @scaredunprepared as far as discomfort goes. I'll rub a spot that just got kicked super hard, or lightly massage some RLP. Sometimes I just like to feel baby kick from the outside though so I'll put my hand there when he's being super active. If he's really rolling around while I'm at work I'm usually lounging back in my office chair (super not comfortable btw...the chair doesn't actually lean back at all) because usually he's pushing into my rib cage or hip bones pretty hard, so a lot of times I'll have a hand resting on my belly just because of the position I'm in lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• artemis618artemis618 member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks @echo-charlietango!  It wasn’t clear to me what to do if my hospital isn’t a participating cord blood donation one.  Just requested a referral!

Edit:  I didn’t realize till I saw the Cord for Life paperwork that delayed cord clamping and public donation are mutually exclusive :( 
    About me:
    Married 6/18/16 (Me 42, DH 44), TTC #2
    ***TW***
    Natural BFP 8/10/16 --> mc our NIPT-normal little girl at 11w5d on 10/1/16 :(
    As of 12/2016:  AMH 1.42, FSH 6.1, AFC ~10
    Self-benched Nov-Dec 2016 for
    IVF #1 Jan-Feb 2017 (OCP, testosterone primed antagonist w/HGH - ER 2/2/17 - 12R, 7M ICSI'd, 3F, 0B)
    IVF #2 Mar-Apr 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 4/8/17 - 10R, 8M, 8F, 5B, 1 PGS normal)
    IVF #3 May-Jun 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 6/4/17 - 14R, 5F, 3B, 0 normal)
    **New RE**
    IVF #4 Sept 2017 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 9/28/17 - 33R, 18F, 10B, 4 PGS normals!)
    FET #1 (medicated) of one PGS normal 4AA XX 11/2/17 - Beta #1 11/11/17 (153), Beta #2 11/13/17 (324), mc at 5w1d on 11/19/17 :(
    IVF #5 Dec 2017 - Insemination of 9 frozen eggs from 2012 (8F, 1B, 0 normal)
    Jan 2018 - Natural cycle ERA (normal/receptive) & stimming for
    IVF #6 Jan-Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/3/18 - 17R, 6M, 4F, 0 blasts)
    IVF #7 Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/26/18 - 19R, 9M, 9F, 4B, 2 PGS normals)
    FET #2 Apr 2018 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 4AA- XX 4/5/18 - Beta #1 4/14/18 (67), Beta #2 4/16/18 (231)
    Rainbow baby girl born 12/16/2018 (via c-section, induced at 39 weeks)

-----
    TFAS!
    FET #3 Dec 2019 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 3BB XY 12/16/19 - Beta #1 12/24/19 (139), Beta #2 12/27/19 (482)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @echo-charlietango I find rubbing my belly incredibly soothing. I could legitimately fall asleep rubbing my belly. Also, I am convinced that baby boy sticks his butt up against my belly so he can get butt rubs lol
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • @echo-charlietango I swore I would never be one of those people who constantly touched their stomach while pregnant, and I don't think I was too bad, but when I did I would do it completely absent-mindedly. I didn't even really realize I was doing it most of the time. 

BabyFruit Ticker