May 2019 Moms
Options

UO

124»

Re: UO

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds it doesn't sound bad at all.  Kids are hard in general.  When you add special neneeds to that it makes it even harder. I hahave to take my son every 6 month's to a neurologist. His pediatrician is convinced hes autistic but everyone i have taken him to says hes too young to label. My son sounds a lot like yours.  He wouldnt sleep at night until he was 3. One of his sensory issues was he would vomit.  Anytime he got upset he forced himself to vomit. And the tantrums where horrible.  No one would watch him for me even for a doctors appointment for myself. My mil rudely would tell me 1 of my son was worse than my bils twins combined. 
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Options
    edited October 2018
    @psychobutthead How old is he now? My son was diagnosed a few days before his third birthday. But it was difficult getting there. I cannot tell you how many people told me there was nothing wrong with my kid, he just needed to be disciplined. Or that he's "just a kid." Okay. Just a kid who can talk (though very little) at home but has never spoken one word at daycare and doesn't play with any other kids (he was there for over a year). Just a kid who lines up all his toys instead of playing with them, and loses his mind if you mess one up. Just a kid who is incredibly attached to inanimate objects. Just a kid who punches me in the face in Walmart while screaming because it's too loud and he's overstimulated. Just a kid who was almost 3 and didn't understand what I was saying and couldn't talk back. But I'm writing all of this and I can't even tell you the progress he's made in the last year. It's been incredible to watch. He talks to strangers, he has friends, his speech is still a work in progress, but he really never stops talking lol. I look at my husband and I wonder how no one ever noticed he was autistic, but high functioning autism was not known back then (and isn't even very well understood now), and I've watched my son very slowly grasp things on his own and improve and can see how people could've thought my husband was just a late bloomer (especially being one of six kids) and as an adult I think people think he's tactless and kind of an ass (he really is a super sweet guy). I think it's easy for high functioning autistic children (and adults) to fall through the cracks because a lot of the things I insisted were autism, and that alerted his ped to send him for evaluation, went away after a while and were replaced with different behaviors. I wonder sometimes if I was wrong (and 4 doctors, and several therapists 😂, I know I'm ridiculous but he has made SO much progress). But then just the other day I was at my intake appointment and they asked if anyone in my family has autism and I told her my son does (he was with me) and she went "ohhh, yeah, I was wondering." Broke my heart a bit, but I mean, he does so... I can't expect no one to notice I guess. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds i totally get where you are coming from.  My son is 3.5 now.  You sons sound very similar.  I have often wondered if my husband is on the spectrum. When you research adults that are on the spectrum but the high end is sounds exactly like my husband. 

I have his pediatrician who thinks he is,  a neurologist who thinks he isnt,  a school who thinks he shows traits because he likes to put toys in containers over and over, and a private therapist who doesnt like to label children.  Its frustrating as hell especially when no one gets it.  I also have friends whose kids have autism and they dont think he has it.  But their children are more severe and not high functioning.

I have also gotten the if you woyld discipline him more remarks.  It was so bad we quit having anything to do with ny father and stepmother because they told everyone i didn't have a handle on my son and i let hin run wild which isnt true. 

• Options
    beccaneu said:
    @secicc12 A friend of mine used to mix mayo and ketchup together into some unholy pinkish mess for her fries.  It looked so gross. 🤢
    I do this and I love it, sooo good 😊

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds i totally get where you are coming from.  My son is 3.5 now.  You sons sound very similar.  I have often wondered if my husband is on the spectrum. When you research adults that are on the spectrum but the high end is sounds exactly like my husband. 

I have his pediatrician who thinks he is,  a neurologist who thinks he isnt,  a school who thinks he shows traits because he likes to put toys in containers over and over, and a private therapist who doesnt like to label children.  Its frustrating as hell especially when no one gets it.  I also have friends whose kids have autism and they dont think he has it.  But their children are more severe and not high functioning.

I have also gotten the if you woyld discipline him more remarks.  It was so bad we quit having anything to do with ny father and stepmother because they told everyone i didn't have a handle on my son and i let hin run wild which isnt true
    I know this isn't my conversation, but I'm sorry these people in your life suck so much.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @psychobutthead it is SO frustrating. I had a speech therapist who, even after he was diagnosed, insisted he wasn't autistic because he did so many things her son does and she insisted her son isn't autistic. We saw a developmental pediatrician for our diagnosis. But it was probably a year of me telling his doctor repeatedly something wasn't right before he was like "hmm, something's not right" and referred us. I hope you're able to get a diagnosis (if he is, of course) because the interventions we've received as a result of his diagnosis have literally been life changing. 

As for husbands, I'm constantly discovering new things with mine that I'm like "omg you're so autistic' 😂 it's hard because he asks people and they're like "no, you're not. You just have quirks. You're just rude. You're just a little weird" all way more damaging than "yeah, maybe you do have aspergers." He was told by a counselor who specializes in working with adults with Asperger's that he is, but couldn't actually diagnose. This is a man who will work 12 hours on homework (or whatever activity he's doing) straight. If he's interrupted, it's a big fit. He needs time to transition between doing different things. He's very rigid in his routines and one glitch can throw off his entire day. He owns 10 of the same shirt in different colors (this one always cracks me up and makes me just want to hug him). But I watch my son and then I watch my husband and it's just like wow... I gave birth to your exact clone. I'm just grateful my son is receiving interventions my husband never did because maybe we can avoid a lot of challenges my husband experienced. Very smart man, but treated like an idiot for so much of his life because he takes a while to formulate responses, he's not good at all in social situations and frequently says the wrong thing. It's just not fair and I feel so hurt for him that he's gone through that. 

I am so sorry your family has treated you that way. I assure you, it's not a discipline thing. I would talk to your ped and insurance about referring him to OT at the very least without a diagnosis. That was our turning point. They teach motor skills and whatnot but our revelation was the sensory work they do. There are times my kid will be losing his mind hyper, and then I just do sensory squeezes and the kid just calms right down. 
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds insurance keeps denying our claims all because the neurologist has out down that he doesn't think hes autistic.  Because of that we even have to pay for the private speech. 

@brie_and_almonds because of how they act about my son i have totally cut them off.  Even on ssocial media totally cut tthem off.  My son doesn't need someone like that discouraging. 

I heard the same thing about my daughter.  I was constantly told i needed to punish her more for her behavior.  She has adhd very severe. She'll be on medication for ot the rest of her life if she plans on driving and working. 

Kids shouldn't have to hear from their grandparents how they should be beaten more.  I really hate my family.  They completely ignored that im dyslexic as a child and didnt get me the help i needed for it.

• Options
    @psychobutthead my mother was hell  bent that there was nothing wrong with me. I had a doctor mention wanting to evaluate me for add and my mom smiled and nodded and as soon as we left told me I didn't have add and just needed to apply myself better 🙄 

I would get a new neurologist, or find another professional that evaluates for autism such as a developmental ped. That's just crap. 
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I’m always hesitant to talk about how much I love my in-laws because I feel like so many ladies on these boards have horrific in-laws! I feel like I definitely lucked out. Also, for science, do you describe anything as “dank”? My college room mate was from Portsmouth and said that all the time. I always loved it. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @zuuls_mom lol no, I have never done that. "That's wicked cool" was my thing 😂
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds lol love it! 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    Add me to Team-ILs! Mine are awesome, hence why we moved to be closer to them!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    People with wonderful in laws are very lucky.  My mil is stuck up my bils ass since hes bringing his twins around so she is having very little to do with my kids. 

My fil isnt too bad.  We just can't be in an enclosed space for too long or I want to cuss him out. 

We don't do many family holidays now since no one gets along. 

• Options
    @peachy13 I totally have gotten & share my professional engagement (yes, by train tracks & in fields), maternity, newborn, & family pics lol🙈 We actually have another family photo session scheduled next week haha maybe I'm an AW but I love having them to look back on & agree that if I didn't have them we'd have like no family photos or pictures with me in them

All you white chocolate & milk chocolate haters can send all you don't want to eat my way, I prefer them way more than dark chocolate!😆

My UO is I don't get the hype over fancy name-brand workout clothes (or any name-brand clothes for that matter) Lululemon & Athleta & others...like no thanks, my $15 leggings from Amazon work just as well, if not better.
  • Options
    @peachy13 I totally have gotten & share my professional engagement (yes, by train tracks & in fields), maternity, newborn, & family pics lol🙈 We actually have another family photo session scheduled next week haha maybe I'm an AW but I love having them to look back on & agree that if I didn't have them we'd have like no family photos or pictures with me in them

All you white chocolate & milk chocolate haters can send all you don't want to eat my way, I prefer them way more than dark chocolate!😆

My UO is I don't get the hype over fancy name-brand workout clothes (or any name-brand clothes for that matter) Lululemon & Athleta & others...like no thanks, my $15 leggings from Amazon work just as well, if not better.
    I’ll never understand why people pay so much money for clothes to sweat in. And no, they’re not much better quality, lululemon had issues with leggings being see through!

• Options
    @expandcontract Yesss to tartar sauce on fries. 

@DuchessOfCambridge I’ve tried that too!! Isn’t it called fry sauce? I swear it’s a “thing”

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    megsb615megsb615 member
    edited October 2018
    I forgot who all has commented on the ketchup and mayo combo, but +1 for me! I’m too lazy to do it, but it is really good! I like tartar sauce, but I’m not sure about it on French fries.. 🤔 This really makes me wish I had French fries right about now. 
  • Options
    Didn't Heinz recently come out with a premade version? Called mayochup or something? I don't think it's a joke either...

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @imrachellea Oh yeah! I remember seeing that on Facebook. I don’t know if I’ve seen it in stores though. I need to look!
  • Options
    @roseshadow873 THAT’S what it’s called! Husband and I were trying to think of it last night, and I kept thinking special sauce! 😂
  • Options
    That mayochup looks disgusting and freaks me out but mixing it myself doesn’t 😂 #logic I also sometimes dip in just mayo then dip again in ketchup instead of mixing

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I 100% agree. I used to make that as "tartar sauce" for whenever my parents served fish when I was a kid, and it was great, but the idea of it coming all premixed and gelatinous from a bottle makes my stomach turn.
    kids with flags