April 2019 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms w/o 9/17

1235»

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 9/17

• Options
    Guys, I had a bit of a freak out yesterday. I got a quesadilla from a mexican food truck at work. I saw that it had queso fresco on it, so I just pushed it off to the side, but I'm sure I ate a little bit of it. Afterwards I started worrying that maybe it wasn't pastuerized so I went back to the truck and asked them. Sure enough, it wasn't! I called my doctor and she told me I'm probably fine, but if I start feeling sick to obviously call her right away. I was beating myself up for not being more proactive and aware. I guess I just need some reassurance that I'm not a terrible pregnant person.
  • Options
    What @rennie1108 you aren't terrible at all!! It was an honest accident, and these eating standards now are so crazy hard for me to keep track of! I almost ate a boatload of raw tuna sushi before my BF saved me from myself! 
    That being said I'm still freaking out about kelp so advice to stay calm from me is a disaster 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 You can totally take too much iodine, it messes with thyroid function especially which affects your whole body. I think the higher dosages should only be for folks who have a proven deficiency or goiter.

You're not the only one to waste $20 on supplements, I've wasted a good deal more over the years. A few years back my holistic doctor prescribed a mineral mix supplement that was $60. Bought a few bottles, took it for a month, then started having horrible cramping and had to stop. I don't see that doctor anymore, since I was wasting money on appointments with her as well.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    Ugh @rennie1108 I can understand freaking out I would probably too. But you are more than likely FINNNE. I'm sure we will all have AT LEAST one slip up. I will probably have at least one per week, ha. Try to relax!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Omg @sheepshepherdess you're the best! Thank you.. I'm so glad I didn't just take it. 
    Ugh.. sometimes it's so hard with advice, I took vitamin advice from a yoga teacher once and never again lol. Sucks we both lost money but hopefully this will help me remember to look closer at the darn drug facts from now on. Also my prenatal has 100mcg so I'm just going to eat more fish and call it good
  • Options
    @rennie1108, remember that the guidelines are because pregnant women have a greater risk of foodborne illnesses and such, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get something because you ate unpasteurized cheese once.  Just make sure you call your doctor if you do start having any symptoms!

That being said... I pretty much ate raw cookie dough all through my previous pregnancy and will probably continue to do so during this one, even though it's not recommended :lol:.  You're definitely not terrible for one little slip!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rennie1108 It's all good, with today's sanitation practices raw milk cheese is mostly safe. From talking to my food safety advisor for the local farmers market, you actually have a higher chance of getting listeria from peanut butter than raw milk cheese. This is not to make you now panic about peanut butter! Just saying we all do the best we can, and don't worry about one small mistake.
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 I'm glad you didn't take it! I have also taken vitamin advice from yoga teachers, church leaders, and random ladies in the library, I've finally learned to stop being so gullible  :D Now I have to go check my prenatal for iodine...

@kangstadt Oh man, I can't believe that about the raw cookie dough! For some reason I'm so scared of eggs, I haven't even been able to enjoy a fried egg w/runny yolk without worrying  ;)
  • Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! You've all made me feel SO much better :) 
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I'm taking My Kind prenatals from garden of life, what do you take?
  • Options
    @Cabearit nice!- I grew up in the Tampa Area (Apollo Beach, Brandon, USF area, Clearwater, Oldsmar) and moved from that side of town to Orlando about 1.5 years ago
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    @sheepshepherdess, I like to live on the wild side.  :tongue:  Although runny yolks, ick... I can't do that on a normal day, even though that's the only way my DH likes them.  Even scrambled eggs have to be cooked "dry," for me to eat them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 I'm taking Vitafusion Prenatal Gummies :# because I'm ridiculous and can't take iron or regular multivitamins. Apparently mine have 220mcg iodine. 

@kangstadt See, scrambled eggs are totally different, they MUST be dry!
  • Options
    I'm with @kangstadt - suuuuuuper runny fried eggs, dry AF scrambled.  My husband calls my scrambled style "egg nuggets."
  • Options
    Uhm. I just had some queso at lunch. Whoops. I mean, if it's heated up, it's ok...right? Right? :neutral:
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess, that's so funny, I figured people who like runny yolks like "wet," scrambled eggs too.  If I make fried eggs myself, I usually cook them over medium, but if I order them somewhere I always have to tell them over hard or they come out runny in the middle.  Blech.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Gross, you guys, nothing like taking a bite of eggs and it's wet/slimy...you're triggering my nausea!  But I'm also a freak and I only like the egg whites, no yolks unless they're cooked into something.  I think it's the smell.

Also, @kangstadt, you can make/buy cookie dough without eggs!  I've only bought it at bougie ass cookie dough shops, but that stuff is delightful!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    gummy vitamins are awesome. I could not survive without them!

Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    @Piccola1988, I should probably make some egg-free just to store in the freezer for when I want it, haha.  Mostly I don't because I'm a baker, so when I have a bowl or beater left over from cookies, I can't help myself :tongue:.  I don't make cookie dough just to eat it normally....

Although I did buy all of the things to make dirt pudding last night, and then got home and couldn't stand to eat it.  *cries*
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Every once in a while between nausea bouts, I *really* want underdone protein- very runny egg yolks, sushi fish or raw oysters, beef tartare, all that good stuff. I hope it’s just my brain rebelling against restrictions, but this better not escalate to DH desperately restraining me from a rare steak in a few months :lol:
  • Options
    @mrstmoose I actually read that heating to 165 degrees all the way through (for lunch meats, raw milk cheeses, etc) kills listeria. Not sure about all the other horrible things in there though!

@lovelybabybumpz Glad to know someone else likes gummy vitamins who's not under 10!

@Piccola1988 You're a genius, egg substitute it is. @kangstadt I actually only make cookie dough to eat it, makes DW crazy because I never bake it!

@lin0442 I'm so there. I actually ate a bunch of raw oysters while TTC (not the most recent time) without realizing I wasn't supposed to. I really want underdone sea food and sushi, but not other meats. I think it's my brain demanding protein in the weirdest way possible?

Question for all the gardeners out there, how religiously do you wear gloves? I have always gardened with my bare hands but recently read something that said pregnant women should wear gloves. And I know our cats poop in the garden (it's nasty), so all of a sudden worried about that. What say ye?
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I would def recommend gloves especially with the cats pooping. I usually wear them anyways just because I hate all the dirt under my nails. 
  • Options
    My husband pasteurized some eggs so that I could have a poached egg a few days ago. You could also use those in your cookie dough. and now I’m craving cookie dough
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I love gummies so much but I need all my iron and I'm scared of pregnancy anemia, yours definitely have better iodine, I wish someone made the perfect vitamin  :s
  • Options
    I’m totally on the gummy train, because I forgot 90% of the pills last time and the gummies are sooooo easy. 

I garden gloveless mostly because DH keeps moving my gloves. Why.
  • Options
    I have 2 different recipes for egg free safe to eat raw cookie dough. And have totally made it just to sit and eat. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Options
    You guys are making me want some cookie dough. I haven’t found an egg free recipe that I like. It’s just not the same to me. 

And since someone brought up steak... what it ok to have? I can’t stand a well done steak. I’m usually a medium/ medium rare girl. I really want to go get some steak this weekend at my favorite restaurant. Do you think medium is safe?
  • Options
    happymoni21happymoni21 member
    edited September 2018
    @lin0442 @sheepshepherdess I would kill for oysters right now. Having them again feels so far away!  :'(
  • Options
    @blueberrymomma, I don't think there are any restrictions on steak, even rare steak is cooked to a minimum of 145 degrees (the "safe," temperature for steak).  Ground meats are 155, and poultry is 165.

@sheepshepherdess and @kaleesi93, add me to the gummy vitamin train.  I hate swallowing huge vitamin pills, and the gummies I have use a plant-based source of DHA. :smiley:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @fuzzywombat Your husband is a genius! 
  • Options
    I still eat runny egg yolks and sushi and deli meat. I guess that’s my FFFC. I’d probably eat oysters too if they were in front of me. My first pregnancy I wouldn’t even go near household cleaners  :D this one I guess I’m just less paranoid and more hungry 
  • Options
    I’m on the gummy vitamin train too. I haven’t eaten sushi yet this pregnancy but I may. I did last pregnancy. We make our own. The main thing is making sure it’s been stored and prepared correctly. 

Also, you can buy pasteurized eggs at the grocery store. Then they’d be safe raw. 
  • Options
    Ughhh @lin0442 I would love some beef tartare or salmon sashimi. 
  • Options
    @professormama I would love to make my own sushi, that's awesome! 
    I don't have a problem eating it, I just dont want to do raw tuna because I just hear so much controversy about it lately. 
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 I really can’t take any credit. My husband is the cook in our family. I just eat. But it’s awesome. Hes done great salmon and tuna rolls as well as sashimi. Personally I like the spicy tuna best. I wouldn’t recommend eating it all the time because sushi grade tuna often has higher levels of mercury, but once a month or so is fine. If you plan to make it just be sure to buy it from a store that does a deep enough freeze. 
  • Options
    Thanks to this thread I’m eating a bowl of cookie dough ice cream 
  • Options
    I hate wearing gardening gloves. I’m missing sushi like crazy, but I did satisfy my ramen urge with dinner tonight. Including a soft cooked egg 😳
    and now
    i want ice cream!
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    @professormama thank you, yeah the mercury is what I've been worried about, I'll keep an eye out for a good deep frozen tuna, I guess they're saying farmed tuna is no better than wild caught... it's all a huge headache 
  • Options
    kaleesi93 said:
    @professormama thank you, yeah the mercury is what I've been worried about, I'll keep an eye out for a good deep frozen tuna, I guess they're saying farmed tuna is no better than wild caught... it's all a huge headache 
    Just today I saw new FDA guidelines. Large tuna should be consumed no more than once a week. You’re good. 
    https://www.fatherly.com/news/new-fda-fish-guidelines/?utm_campaign=Keywee&utm_medium=PaidSocial&utm_source=Facebook&kwp_0=970206