March 2019 Moms

***Post Your Ultrasounds HERE***

Re: ***Post Your Ultrasounds HERE***

• Loading the player...
  • char245char245 member
    edited August 2018
    This may be a stupid question but some of the twin US look like they share a sack and others look separate. Is that the difference between identical and fraternal or does that have nothing to do with it?

ETA: maybe I should have put that in the questions thread, just so curious and excited for all you multiple moms!
  • Lurking**
    @char245 and @purpleteacher82 so twins come in lots of "types" there is Di/Di where they have different sacs/placentas, Mono/Di where there is one sac but a membrane separating them and different placentas or Mo/Mo- same sac, no membrane and a shared placenta. Di/Di can be identical or fraternal depending on when the egg split. Mono's are identical. hope that helps. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• wabash15 said:
    Lurking**
    @char245 and @purpleteacher82 so twins come in lots of "types" there is Di/Di where they have different sacs/placentas, Mono/Di where there is one sac but a membrane separating them and different placentas or Mo/Mo- same sac, no membrane and a shared placenta. Di/Di can be identical or fraternal depending on when the egg split. Mono's are identical. hope that helps. 
    Yes, this exactly.  I was going to go into detail after the other explanation...but then didn't. :smile:
  • katw123katw123 member
    edited August 2018
    Three twin mom's in our group!! So exciting!
  • @wabash15 with the twin info, will they tell you what type they are at your ultrasound around 6-7 weeks? Or is that too early to know? Thanks!
  • @Sparkylove you should be able to tell after the first ultrasound. If they are in different sacs, they are di/di.  Typically di/di are fraternal but they could be identical based on when the egg split. If they are in the same sac, they are identical and either mo/mo or mo/di. If they're in the same sac, most of the time a membrane will form between them to separate them, making them mo/di.  We found our membrane around 12 weeks. If a membrane doesn't form, they're mo/mo, which is significantly higher risk. If you Google a little you can find examples of what each look like. 
  • @BuckeyeNut05 great thank you! They must be di/di because they are in different sacks! ❤️
  • This was mine at 7w4d. Our little jelly bean❤
  • st101st101 member
    edited August 2018
  • @Sparkylove no success story, but I’m guessing your twins are fraternal, which means you ovulated twice, either at the same time and they implanted at different times or on two different days. Hopefully that helps to put your mind at ease and they keep growing on track.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @maggiemadeit wow! So clear! Was that abdominal or tv??
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @mamakate1616 This was TV. I honestly can’t believe how much ultrasound has improved since my daughter was born, and that was only a few years ago! 
  • @3rdtime_charmed awe congrats and yay! That makes me feel better because baby A is like right in front of B and she had a really hard time measuring! ❤️