October 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

13»

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    @sliztee PDX itself is pretty liberal, but the rest of the state...not so much. It'd be awesome if we could use these differences to have constructive conversations and share perspectives, but every rally as of late has just turned violent.
  • Options
    Damn, that's so unfortunate. Honestly, that's what the entire country needs; conversation. The polarization has gotten so out of hand that we can't even hear one another.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sliztee @chopchop25 yeah i really hate that the rallies and protests here in pdx often seem to turn violent, because I’d love to participate but don’t feel safe doing so. I think for the most part, people are peaceful about it, but there’s a smaller group of people who come to these things and just take it too far, which is a shame to ruin a good cause for everyone. 
  • Options
    I prefer to buy ODD's clothes in the boy's department because she's very tall with long legs but super skinny with a small waist. Buying pants / shorts that fit her waist size in boys' clothing results in pants / shorts that also fit her leg length since the shorts are longer. Girl's shorts that fit her waist size always seem entirely too short.
    Maybe I should start buying pants for my boys in the girls department - they’re short and I am always rolling up their jeans. I just worry that they’d be narrow in the legs.
    Hanna Andersson’s girls jeans are cut very loose, if that helps. They look more like the way adult men’s jeans are usually cut, actually. I feel so ignorant about the sizing thing though. I’ve bought the girls clothes from both the boys and girls sections and never noticed that they were different sizes.
    Thanks, I’ll have to check them out.  TBH, I haven’t actually compared sizes, just basing it off what other people have told me.  Maybe it isn’t all brands or you happen to buy boy brands that tend to run smaller?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @melbo444 @knottieamusements be careful with primary.com. Some of their stuff is really high quality but some of it is shit. Generally anything in stretch cotton is a safe bet, but other fabrics are a crap shoot. If you want things in solid colors Hanna Andersson has a line like that right now, and their quality is much more reliable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DunkinDecaf - Thanks for the advice! 
  • Options

I fully recognize the sad irony that I also too am nervous about bringing my kid to a rally about protecting families.... sigh. It’s super white privilege-y that I even get to make that decision when these other parents have already lost their kids...
    If you’re going to a rally in Boston I wouldn’t worry. We’re fortunate to be in such a liberal area that every time I go to a rally downtown it’s literally ONLY like-minded individuals, and everything usually has a really peaceful and fun vibe. I remember last year when a bunch of alt-right guys were supposed to be rallying on the common a couple weeks after the Charleston tiki torch shit show, and it turned out to be like a dozen guys tops huddled in that gazebo surrounded by a crowd of thousands of happy anti-racism protesters basically having a big Woodstock-y picnic.
    True! I’m gonna be visiting family in CT on the 30th so if I go it would be there instead. Still liberal, but I’m not as familiar with the current profile of people that might be there.
  • Options
    @rc-cola -WTF?  And I’m sorry; none of this should have gotten as crazy as it has.  I wish people were smarter about choosing who would represent them and that politics were more encouraging to ethical candidates getting and staying involved.  

(I know that wish does nothing for today’s problem, but fixing the underlying problem would bring real progress on the substantive issues.)
  • Options
    Ugh, that's really terrible to read about @rc-cola. I'm so glad you can give us this type of information, because otherwise, I wouldn't have known. I don't live in NYC, but how can those of us who oppose ICE help? Other than donating and protesting, it seems hopeless.
  • Options
    @sliztee rallies and protests are generally a good way to voice opposition but it just needs to be informed and coordinated with the people affected and the people working on the ground. This was just an example of good intentions going awry and m it’s so frustrating.
  • Options
    @rc-cola-

Your last comment reminded me of this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/26/us/russian-trolls-exploit-philando-castiles-death/index.html

It is a story about how the Russians are using social protests to sow discord in the US.  (Please note- Neither the story Is not saying rallys and protests are bad, the story simply reiterates that they need to be appropriately planned and launched.)
  • Options
    Yes, @knottieamusements very in line with what I’m saying.

Akso the times just reported on the nyc detained court issue if anyone is interested: 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/nyregion/new-york-immigrants-deportation-video-hearings.html
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you! @knottieamusements @rc-cola