October 2018 Moms

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @krzyriver I like sappy posts! They’re especially refreshing when most people are posting political posts without fact checking them.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    @krzyriver
    I think that a one off post on a birthday/ anniversary like that is sweet and ok, but when it becomes an everyday thing or husband/wives are always posting on every single anniversary they can think of then I roll my eyes. There is a place and a time for everything and as long as it isn't too much detail or too lovey I generally like it. 

We have a couple who post 4-6 times a year some sappy picture with a sappy memory expressing their undying love for each other - only thing is we know they have struggled hard in their relationship so it feels more like a front. It gets annoying and trivial when it's repeated over and over.

My husband didn't even say we were in a dating relationship on facebook until 2 years in! (granted this was 11 years ago when FB wasn't really used all that much)  We give shout outs to each other for when we are being amazing or supportive and when we are celebrating something. I was pretty sappy at my posts before getting married, but DH isn't very sappy so I stopped LOL
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    krzyriverkrzyriver member
    edited June 2018
    @chyvie See that wouldn't bother me, even if I knew the couple struggled. My H and I separated back in January. I wouldn't have posted anything sappy at the time, but that struggle doesn't make today's sappy post any less genuine. That being said, if it's all BS, yes they annoy me. I used to be FB friends with one of my regulars at the nail salon. Every birthday/anniversary/fathers day/etc she would post something sappy. Then she'd come in for me to do her nails and complain about him and talk about what a struggle it was to say those nice things.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @cdepperschmidt what stores are you looking in? I am not a huge fan of pink and successfully made it at least 6 months with DD in purples, greens, reds, grays, etc. We shop mostly at our Gymboree outlet and Gymboree online. We had a pink onesie that was a gift to us and we had her wear it Valentine’s Day, so that worked out.

Around 6 months some of the “girly” outfits started jumping out to me and I slowly started adding outfits with pink accents or really cute designs that happen to be on pink shirts. Now at 18 months she has a variety of pink and not pink outfits in her drawers. For example, yesterday she wore black shorts with little white stars and a hot pink shirt with an adorable panda on it. Today she is wearing baby blue capris with white flowers and a blue shirt with a glittery silver dog on it.

I think I made such a huge stink about it with my friends and family when I was pregnant that we are almost never given pink clothes for her, so it has worked out well.

I do agree that I hate slogans on shirts like “Daddy’s Princess” and “Mommy’s handsome guy” *barf*
  • Options
    @cdepperschmidt +1 to the world's (and my mother's) obsession with pink baby clothes for girls. It's SO hard to find newborn or 0-3m or 3-6m clothes that aren't pink, blue, or gray. Can we have some other colors please?!?! I've had some luck finding Burt's bees stuff in purple at BBB, fyi.

I'm wondering which one of my aunt's/mom/MIL is going to give me the girliest clothing... definitely not a fan of the explosion of pink, ruffles, and other girl things. BUT love me some hairbows. I grew up wearing bows, and if baby is like me and my brother, she'll have as much hair as a 2 year old the minute she comes out. 
  • Options
    Hating words/characters on clothes always ends up being an UO and I think I really must be in the minority on liking them! Most of what Z has is Carter's because that's what people bought and I know his size in it. I avoid the overly macho slogans, but sometimes it seems like all their stuff has words and I don't mind them at all. And I buy all the character shirts I can find! Heck, I want to steal some of his Marvel and Avengers stuff! I still have Firefly and Star Wars tshirts somewhere that fit me! And the Lion Guard ones make him so happy, that I buy all the ones I can find. Lol

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @cdepperschmidt I like Target for girls stuff that isn't all frilly and pink.
  • Options
    @BabyRobbinsAdventure mostly Kohl’s and Target. We don’t have a lot of Kids type stores near me like Carters or Gymboree.
  • Options
    This will probably be the most mild opinion ever: digital thermometers are a huge PITA.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @mytrueloves I hate the forehead ones. I have had zero luck. My favorite one is one made by Vick’s that works really fast. 
  • Options
    That's exactly the type I'm dealing with now. It gives me a different reading for each spot I put it on and none of them feel accurate to how hot she is. I really need an accurate reading because ODD has a history of suddenly spiking alarmingly high fevers (104+) very fast and with no warning. Plus I don't know if I'm supposed to add a degree or not because half the sources online say it's oral temp accurate and half say to add degree. So in always thinking of her temp like it's within a range. Ugh.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    I didn't even know Vicks made thermometers. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm ready to chuck this thing out a window
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @rc-cola we were team green with DS1 and registered for all sorts of "neutral" clothes and gear.  When I checked our registry later online it all said "boy!"  Because anything that's not pink and leopard print must be boy, right?  

Anyway all my friends and family thought we had found out and weren't telling, but we hadn't!

*I am allllllll for pink and leopard print.  Just saying.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My UO is that I have rage when I see a mom in the super market with one single kid in the cart built for two.  In my area there are usually only 5ish of these carts available to begin with, and if I get stuck putting a kid in he back and burying him in groceries, or wearing a flailing toddler because some mom couldn't say no when their kid wanted the police car cart....I'm heated.  

I'm not saying I don't get it- sometimes we all have to give in for survival and if the cop car cart is preventing a meltdown, i see the appeal.  But all too often it leaves moms with two little scrambling.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @krzyriver happy anniversary!!

I don’t mind the occasional sappy post but the people who write them all the time, for every occasion, make me kinda crazy. Also I hate that now it feels like we *have* to make lovely flowery posts for every anniversary, father’s day, mother’s day, birthday for a close family member etc on social media. When you’re feeling it sure go for it, but it annoys me that I feel like I have to, especially since H doesn’t even use that shit.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MissBridg Oh man, yeah. There's hardly any of those at my grocery store. If it's not super busy, fine I understand. Your kid deserves to play in the car every now and then. But if it's busy and those carts are going to be in use constantly by mom's of 2+, please don't!!

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    krzyriverkrzyriver member
    edited June 2018
    @DunkinDecaf Oh, yeah I probably wouldn't bother if my H didn't have FB. And while I post for birthday, father's day, and our anniversary, not every post is over the top. They're usually love you/thank you/glad you're ours/the end. Just a little something to acknowledge him because I'm in love with him and I want to. But sometimes I'm sappy and just want to gush about him. And thank you!

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    @SawyerRichardson OK, yes to this! My cousin does it EVERY Monday. And she'll go on about how handsome and sexy her husband is. Ugh. I mean, I'm really glad she found him because my cousin is SO clingy and he adores her anyway, but I don't need to hear about it every Monday and Wednesday you two!

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    @kiwi2628 This is why I have a no phone policy if you're hanging out with me. I used to be more subtle about it, but not anymore. I could be home with my kids if you're just going to ignore me to text other people. Bye!

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    @krzyriver I kind of do too. I tell people straight up that its rude, and for the most part, people stop, but sometimes it bings and they automatically grab it (and FTR, none of my friends have kids, so its not like they are making sure its not that)
  • Options
    I used to always hate pink and always said I would never do everything pink if I had a girl.... but seriously as soon as I got pregnant it all just started looking so precious. BUT I do only like it in moderation. Like I'm not a fan of all the "kid pink". The nursery will be more blush pink, but only pops of it. It'll be mostly neutral floral, like greens and whites. I don't mind the clothes as long as they're not super frilly, but do like variety. And no thanks on slogans unless it's something really funny.
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    edited June 2018
    @krzyriver I don’t mind them either. Plus my view on it is that when they’re little, they’ll go through like 6 onesies a day so may as well just put them in it because they’ll vomit on it an hour later anyway. 

@cdepperschmidt primary.com is good for basic non-pink girl’s stuff. H&M also has quite a bit. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’m definitely guilty of letting DS drive the car. I get the frustration. But how do you explain to a 2 year old he can’t drive the car because 2 kids might need it. Also, we all know shopping trips can go south quickly, so if the car keeps you happy, I’m happy. That being said, if there was one left and I saw a family with two toddlers I would let them have it. 
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited June 2018
    @mytrueloves agree with you, but I personally, where I am today, feel guilty using them. Will I use them at 9 months?? Quite possibly. But I think it depends on how each woman is feeling that day. If my sciatica was acting up now, I'd probably use them too. I just feel guilty using them right after I've done a good heavy work out. I personally think expectant mother spots should always include the mothers with super young children, because that's going to be way more convenient then. 

Eta: I'd hate to use the spot and then not have it available for someone feeling shittier than me. I have the world's biggest guilt trip. In no way do I judge people for using them, because I don't know their life!
  • Options
    I never used them during my last pregnancy. This time around being pregnant with a squirmy toddler, you bet I'm using it! Unfortunately there aren't too many of those spaces around here.
  • Options
    @jemmerjams I agree the spots are so much more convenient when you have small kids. I never use the expecting mother parking spots but won't hesitate to use a mom with small kids spot.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    lest12lest12 member
    I’m definitely guilty of letting DS drive the car. I get the frustration. But how do you explain to a 2 year old he can’t drive the car because 2 kids might need it. Also, we all know shopping trips can go south quickly, so if the car keeps you happy, I’m happy. That being said, if there was one left and I saw a family with two toddlers I would let them have it. 

I also let DS use the car alone.  I never thought twice about it being meant for people with two kids.  Even now that I have 2 small kids, I wouldn't care if I saw a parent with 1 child using it. 

But then again, there always seem to be 2 or 3 in the front of the store so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

image        image

• Options
    Re: Phones. I am SO bad about being on my phone. I recognize it and I have been taking active measures to stop. I consciously put my phone away when I'm with friends and try to be present. I know it's a bad habit of mine. I'm so bad about it that I'm on it while I watch tv. I even have to put it in another room sometimes when I want to read, I don't read nearly as much as I used to because of it.

Re: Carts. I understand the frustration from a perspective of a mom with multiple kids. However, i kind of view the cart with the car different than say the one that is just two seats and not "fun" looking. It's easier to tell my kid no to the two-seater cart than the car. Although, SS is too big now anyway. I get more annoyed at people using the "Caroline's Cart" which is designed for special needs kids.

Re: Expectant Mother parking. The only place near me that seems to have them is BBB or BRU, which usually has several. I think our Meijer has one though, I can just never remember where it is (it's only in a specific section of handicap spots). They recently added 3 at my work. Since security allows me to park in our visitor parking, I use that since we have several expectant mothers in my office. For me it kind of depends what I'm going there for or how close of parking I can get otherwise.