October 2018 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• lest12lest12 member
    Oh I didn't realize it was carTs for two.  That would be more annoying, for sure, unless they were just completely out of carts or something.

image        image

• Loading the player...
  • @krzyriver my UO is the same as yours lol I LOVE all the smart ass little sayings on shirts (my own and the kiddos). DS had a onesie that said "dude, tell your gf to stop staring at me" and "Trouble is my middle name" I still think it's hilarious! He currently has a tee that says "Caution: I wreck things!" And it's totally fitting! I totally think some cross the line for sure and wouldn't let the kiddos wear them. But I love a good smart ass shirt. Character clothes, we mostly limit to Pjs. He did have 1 Mickey onsie (his birthday onsie because he's obsessed with Mickey. And it made him look like he was dressed as Mickey.) And has 1 Mickey and Pluto tee that he plays in around here.
    I also love all things glittery, frilly and shades of pink and purple! (And polka dots!) I do totally want them in moderation (she also has a bunch of blues, yellows and blacks currently), and there is definitely a bunch of Ds's very "boy" type outfits mixed in her growing wardrobe. No regrets
    I am (and always have been) the biggest jumble of everything possible, and want the kids to be as well.
  • A friend of mine had twins last year and she actually got a temporary disabled tag for her car because of it. So since it got approved, technically pregnancy is a disability!
    Might just have to look into that the farther I get along!! I love the expectant mother parking but they're only at bru, And one supermarket has a mother with small child parking.. I feel like if I had the disability tag I'd intentionally look for the farthest one from the store so other people who needed it more could be closer but I'd still be happy to use it.
  • @purplegoldfish2 yes I have absolutely noticed a difference in the way clothes that are in the boy vs girl sections fit. In my case with my 18 month old, the girl section clothes fit her body much better than boy section clothes labeled the same size. I stopped buying in the boys section around 9 months because the tops seemed wide and would fall off at her shoulder and the pants fit her waist, but were much too long.
    I know that the percentile growth charts are different for boys vs girls, so maybe it has something to do with that? 
    I do agree that there is no need to make curve flattering shirts and tops with keyholes in the back. I avoid buying those when I see them.

@knottieamusements so if it doesn’t matter what color your child wears, why only buy “boy” clothes at the sale? Would you be willing to buy “girl” clothes that are purple/green/blue/etc? I guess I’m not sure which soapbox you’re standing on. I get the feeling you’re against girl clothes, but then you gave the vibe that it doesn’t matter and we shouldn’t enforce stereotypes. Just looking for clarification.
  • jomama1618jomama1618 member
    edited June 2018
    @mamabearcj I have definitely seen little button down shirts with flamingos on them! 

@sarahzett I don't think that is a UO, that's frickin gross!
  • Wtf? No one needs to know about my kid's bowel movements other than my partner and possibly my kids Dr. Have we celebrated poop? Sure, especially when we were having issues. But the world does not need to know or see!
  • Seriously? I mean, in O16 we occasionally discuss and describe when we’re concerned.... I’ve never posted a picture. Nasty!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @BabyRobbinsAdventure it’s weird because boy clothes are bigger than girl clothes, but girls, in general, are bigger than boys until puberty. If you want to shop in the boys department for your girl you’d need to go down a size or 2 from what you’re used to buying. My rant was more about if you buy the same size clothes (like shoulders are the same on the clothes or the waist is the same size, not number size) the girls are smaller - shirts are narrower and shorter, shorts are generally much shorter.  I have friends with b/g twins that are pretty much the same size and they tell me about the struggle getting child appropriate clothes for their girl.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I prefer to buy ODD's clothes in the boy's department because she's very tall with long legs but super skinny with a small waist. Buying pants / shorts that fit her waist size in boys' clothing results in pants / shorts that also fit her leg length since the shorts are longer. Girl's shorts that fit her waist size always seem entirely too short.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • @purplegoldfish2 ah yes. Why does stress over clothes sizes not being universal have to start so young?!

and poo photos make me want to barf. I can’t.
  • I prefer to buy ODD's clothes in the boy's department because she's very tall with long legs but super skinny with a small waist. Buying pants / shorts that fit her waist size in boys' clothing results in pants / shorts that also fit her leg length since the shorts are longer. Girl's shorts that fit her waist size always seem entirely too short.
    Maybe I should start buying pants for my boys in the girls department - they’re short and I am always rolling up their jeans. I just worry that they’d be narrow in the legs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • +1 to not wanting to see poop or plugs or anything that comes from your bodies besides your babies!
  • @krzyriver and @jomama1618 It’s not the smart as sayings that bug me as much as the clearly made for a boy sayings. I’ve got some adorable clothes that would be great for either boy or girl, but they say “handsome little dude” or “grandpas little man”. 
  • @jomama1618

It wasn’t exactly directed at you, but given all the ranting about clothes on this thread, and your particular phrasing of:

I also love all things glittery, frilly and shades of pink and purple! (And polka dots!)

I would more say it was inspired by you.  
  • @knottieamusements so if it doesn’t matter what color your child wears, why only buy “boy” clothes at the sale? Would you be willing to buy “girl” clothes that are purple/green/blue/etc? I guess I’m not sure which soapbox you’re standing on. I get the feeling you’re against girl clothes, but then you gave the vibe that it doesn’t matter and we shouldn’t enforce stereotypes. Just looking for clarification.
    I actually did buy a few things in the girls section, but not many.  As has been pointed out above, the issues with girls clothing goes beyond the color and also includes the cut and style.  I don’t understand why it is appropriate to put little girls in fashions that, when on adult women, are clearly designed to be sexy (spaghetti straps, cold shoulders, etc).   Regardless of baby’s sex, I wouldn’t put my kid in that.  

I don’t like the color pink, especially the candy pink that is used primarily for clothing (and toys, furniture, and everything else) marketed towards baby girls.  Regardless of baby’s sex, I won’t buy that for my kid; if it is a gift, then whatever.  Once baby is old enough to express an opinion, and they choose to wear such, then whatever.  

So, yes, you could probably say I am against girl’s clothing.  I generally think all clothing (including adult clothing) should be gender neutral, and should be made and sold based on body shape, not gender.  
    Maybe I should start buying pants for my boys in the girls department - they’re short and I am always rolling up their jeans. I just worry that they’d be narrow in the legs.
    Hanna Andersson’s girls jeans are cut very loose, if that helps. They look more like the way adult men’s jeans are usually cut, actually. I feel so ignorant about the sizing thing though. I’ve bought the girls clothes from both the boys and girls sections and never noticed that they were different sizes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited June 2018
    Late to the party bc I didn’t have one until this morning. Woke up to a FB post from an old friend comparing what is happening st the border to the Holocaust. Yes, this is absolutely awful but this is NOT the Holocaust. I had to block her because I can’t even think of a good response.
    Figured maybe it's a U/O because this isn't the first time I've heard the comparison lately. I’m so, so stabby ragey.
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited June 2018
    @HoosOnFirst Absolutely agreed that it did not start with the concentration camps but with radicalism and smaller steps and though not the same intentions, ones that do run some parallels in terms of approach. I am from Jewish ancestry, but I don't think that's necessary to have a voice in the argument (though the people I've seen share this opinion are not Jewish) because there have been many other cultures, races, and religions that have been persecuted under regimes or suffered through periods of genocide.

I think, to your point, I'd be okay with me if these posters were talking about the dangers of what's happening at the border re: what it can lead to and the actual historical parallels (like your point,) but they're going 0-100 like people are being murdered at this very moment. And I think it's because they don't know enough about the history, aside from reading the Diary of Anne Frank and HS history class, to post a more educated statement.
    I guess there's just a right way to tell the story from an informed perspective, IMO?
  • @rc-cola don't ever apologize for that rant! It was awesome and thank you for it (and I'd hardly call it a rant!) It has definitely been disturbing to see/follow these events - we have a huge D&I network here so lots of conversation about it, but not to the extent that it needs to be.
    That's the kind of stuff that needs to be readily posted and shared.
  • I kinda missed the colors & clothing conversation, but has anyone tried Primary.com ? I haven't yet, but I got a coupon for it in one of my many baby box things and want to check it out, so we registered for a few things. A lot of unisex clothing, no slogans, in basically all the colours. It's not super cheap, but it seems reasonable for when the kid stops changing sizes every few weeks, right?

For what it's worth, pink is my favourite colour, and I'm excited about having a girl and dressing her in pink and bows and such for occasions and photos, but I'm also super casual when it comes to day-to-day clothes, and believe in comfort over fashion 90% of the time. 

I do have a lot of feelings about the border situation, but no time for a long post right now.
  • melbo444 said:
    I kinda missed the colors & clothing conversation, but has anyone tried Primary.com ?
    This is awesome- thanks for the head’s up!
  • That's so amazing, @chopchop25!!! I love hearing that.

As for the danger noted above, seriously?! In Portland?! Rochester is pretty tame, I've been to several over the last year.