October 2018 Moms
Options

Birth plans!

Re: Birth plans!

• Options
    I agree with the birth month disappointment. As minor as it is, I'll be pretty upset if this babe is born in November. I'm due Oct 27th so it's a total possibility. I've just never liked November for some reason.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just wan Blast to come as close to ontime as possible so I don’t have to a) go back to work before the new year or b) deal with the stress of a potential induction due to overdue baby.  
  • Options
    Switching gears away from birth month disappointment:

1) What conversations are you having/ planning to have with your doctor about your birth plan? When will you be having them?

2) For those of you who are taking into account hospital’s default practices, how are you finding those policies?

3) What questions/ information from birth classes are you incorporating into your plan?
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    I just wan Blast to come as close to ontime as possible so I don’t have to a) go back to work before the new year or b) deal with the stress of a potential induction due to overdue baby.  

*stuck in the box*

THIS. It would work out perfectly if she came on her due date. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I plan on starting to talk to my doctors about birth plans next week, at 23 weeks.  This first conversation I want to find out more about what their (and the hospital’s) usual procedures are, and also to get her recommendations on good resources for natural birth techniques. Later on I’ll ask more about the other “what-if” scenarios but for now I just want to get started with some good information. We can talk about complications or plans B and C next time. Plus I see different doctors every time I go, so this gives me time to get several opinions!

So far I don’t have any plans for any classes beyond the one-day hospital childbirth class. I usually prefer to learn on my own. I want to read about the different techniques and then pick and choose what I think is worth trying.
  • Options
    @ninji15 that’s really too bad you had such a rough time nursing. Before starting with a pump, try hand expressing the first day or two (until your true milk comes in). Pumping colostrum tends to result in a good percentage of your production trapped in the pump parts. I breastfed my 27 weeker until he was 12 months old (from the time he was able to take oral feeds) and my 33 week twins until 15 months. 
    Also, ask about Motilium (domperidone) to promote milk production. We routinely offer it to preemie moms to support breastfeeding. Motilium might be a Canadian brand name, but the generic domperidone should be the same anywhere. 
    This gives me a lot of hope! I was really worried if I ended up with really early LOs breastfeeding would be a no go again. That doesn't sound like it was the case for you. And great point on hand expressing I didn't think about, by the time I got my pump a week later I was so engorged and  full of milk I think the colostrum ship had sailed for me. 

@SweetSweetTooth Yes I will have to ask this as well! 
  • Options
    @ninji15 I also suggest reading the breastfeeding book by the La Leche league or the Ina may guide to breastfeeding. Goes over early babies, c section, etc and how to breastfeed through it all. 
  • Options
    @knottieamusements

Excellent questions. I guess I'll talk to my OB at my 23 week appt next week or maybe at my 24 week appt?? (If I have one?). I'm going to take the 4 weeks class the hospital offers on August, and hopefully they can tell me what is standard then, if I'm too lazy to reach out first or my OB can't give me answers.
  • Options
    @ninji15 My LC also recommended hand expressing and breast massages to help with production in the beginning. Is there a LC on staff at the hospital where you deliver?
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    My hospital is moving away from nurseries and into "rooming together" - which I'm fine with AS LONG AS I can still ask for them to take LO to the nursery for a bit so I can rest. I have heard they have gotten "worse" about this since my last kid so that's one thing I need to figure out how to be clear on without seeming like a bitchy person who doesn't want my kid around, which ain't it at all.
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst My hospital does the same. I’m with you—after the initial flurry of activity with delivery, first feeding attempt, etc, I would really like them to take the baby so I can get some rest and eat something before the visitors start coming. I think it will greatly help my recovery (and my general mood) to get just a bit of a break.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    @HoosOnFirst I didn't even realize there was still nurseries used! I thought that all babies are being roomed with the moms now. I heard that in room was better for bonding, safety (like baby switching mistakes) and feedings so they switched the hospitals. 
    If you have the option then using sleep as your reason sounds like a good one to me. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @knottieamusements
    1) Besides briefly discussing med free goals, I didn’t give my OB my preferences paper until 30-some weeks. She pretty much just glanced it over and said we’ll see how birth goes. I think the only thing she stopped to discuss was delayed cord clamping and jaundice. 

2) Combination of asking OB specific policies, the hospital tour, and my doula. Mostly doula since she’d attended many birth at my hospital and was my most accessible point of contact. 

3) So much. My classes are basically where I learned all about each intervention/drug/procedure and when/why they are helpful or not. 
  • Options
    I love that we're having an October baby. Oct is already busy (MIL Oct 5th, my twin cousins Oct 19, niece Oct 20, SIL Oct 25th and my wedding anniversary Oct 1). However, we LOVE October. With a EDD of the 12th, there are few chances for a Sept baby unless I go really early.

I'm debating if I talk to my OB about med options next appt (23.5 weeks) or the following at 27.5 weeks.
  • Options
    Switching gears away from birth month disappointment:

1) What conversations are you having/ planning to have with your doctor about your birth plan? When will you be having them?
    My appointment next week is with one of the doctors who baby catches so I'll be asking him about plans and hospital practices

2) For those of you who are taking into account hospital’s default practices, how are you finding those policies?
    At my next appointment and probably a class the hospital offers

3) What questions/ information from birth classes are you incorporating into your plan?
    I have to go to the classes first but I'll get back to you on this!
    Generally I'm just hoping to get most of my questions answered next week at my first Appointment with one of the doctors that could potentially deliver the babies
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited June 2018
    @tinattt23 curious, do you mind sharing what your birth plan was regarding jaundice? My bro and I were both jaundice because of something to do with my dad genetically speaking, so I'm curious what you would plan for. With me (winter baby), my parents didn't know and I ended up in an incubator for a while, but with my bro, they knew to put him in the sunlight (summer baby) so he never got the incubator.
  • Options
    @britvahok There is and was the first time technically, she was just on vacation the whole time and no one else was there who could help. I am hoping to have a better experience this time.

@SweetSweetTooth Thank you I am going to look for those asap! I am going on vacation soon and need the reading material. :smile:
  • Options
    @jemmerjams Wasn’t necessarily a plan for jaundice. Just discussing how delayed cord clamping, while it does have its benefits, can also increase janudice risk. She just said we’d keep an extra eye out for it and worst case (unlikely) he’d go under the lights. But with a family history of jaundice, maybe it’s be worth discussing delayed vs immediate clamping. 
  • Options
    No real plans here. Ideally I'll have VBAC #2, but I'm not going to pick that to be my hill to die on, kwim? If it's going to work, it'll work. This baby is tranverse right now, so all I can say is they'd better rotate their ass sooner rather than later. DS was transverse the whole time and ended up breech, so yeah...

My biggest requests are I'd like to be able to move around more if at all possible. Since I'm VBAC, I'm pretty sure I'll have to have the continuous monitoring like I did last time, so if I can get wireless monitoring that would be awesome. I handle the pain and discomfort so much better if I can walk around. I would also like to avoid them breaking my water if not necessary. They broke it about an hour after I got to the hospital with DD, and I hated how the contractions went from manageable to HOLY HELL immediately. Other than that, it all went pretty well. I almost had an episiotomy because they thought DD's head was stuck (it wasn't, she was just taking her ole sweet time), so maybe I should think about asking them not to go that route this time, but we'll see.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My hospital is moving away from nurseries and into "rooming together" - which I'm fine with AS LONG AS I can still ask for them to take LO to the nursery for a bit so I can rest. I have heard they have gotten "worse" about this since my last kid so that's one thing I need to figure out how to be clear on without seeming like a bitchy person who doesn't want my kid around, which ain't it at all.
    My understanding is that most hospitals who room together no longer even have a nursery. If it's a newer thing at your hospital they might still have the option, but hospitals seem to be doing away with them for all babies except NICU. It didn't bother me with Z, but I think it's awful they don't give women the option if they've had a rough delivery.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @tinattt23 thank you! I'll have to look into that more, I was leaning towards delayed but will talk to my OB for sure and find out typical hospital policies.
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst I’ve never used a nursery. My hospital rooms in so that’s what we’ve always done. My experience was that it was actually fine rest-wise. Both my girls slept really well their first night. H actually woke me up (insert death glare) the night after DD2 was born because she had been asleep for 6 hours and he was worried about her. I think they were as tired from the whole birth thing as I was  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DunkinDecaf Exactly. I really didn't find it to be that bad while in the hospital. I was up pretty often, yeah, but no more than normal full term pregnant insomnia. The real fun is the 3 day old cluster feeding!
  • Options
    Our hospital no longer has a nursery, however I was very much unable to care for DD after delivery and there was still an area they took babies in that situation. I would double check with what their backup plan is.
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst Yes, exactly. We all know the benefits of rooming in/breastfeeding/etc.... but hospitals should be respecting women’s choices because no one can decide what’s best for us and our babies except us. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    @HoosOnFirst I delivered DD and DS at the same hospital and they would not take either to the nursery when I requested it. The only time they took them away was for their newborn checkups, DS’s circumcision, and his kidney ultrasound. At one point I told them I was so exhausted that I didn’t think I’d be able to pick him up if I needed to, and they said it was too bad and that I would have to figure out a way to deal with it because I’m a mom now (mind you, I already had a 19 month old at home so this wasn’t my first rodeo). Luckily my doctor no longer delivers at that hospital so hopefully it won’t be such a big issue this time. 

Re: birth plan. My only plans are to avoid Pitocin and to labor for as long as possible without an epi (I’d really like to go med-free this time since I had an epi with both DD and DS). Aside from that, I’m just trying to figure out a way to let them know that I have no desire to breastfeed this time around. I need to go back on my antidepressants after this baby is born and they’re not compatible with breastfeeding, plus my experience trying to BF DS was horrific and I have no desire to go through that again. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hoosonfirst for sure. I hope you get less judginess this time <3. I got some of that judgy shit about nursing last time even though I was hoping to breastfeed bc I told them I’d only made it 6 weeks before making the full switch to formula with DD1. I just about snapped on the LC making lemon face at me and telling me what I should’ve done. Thanks, holly hindsight. Like, I’m telling you I tried. For 6 miserable weeks. The kid needed to eat and I needed my sanity. Can you stow it please?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tlmill don't hate me... Since you are off your meds (think that is what I caught) can you do a feeding or two in the hospital to get baby some colostrum and then do formula so you can get back on the meds? 
  • Options
    I appreciate the hell out of your reply, @tlmill! It's like, I'm an educated person, and the staff sometimes assumed I wasn;t and just didn't know better. I wanted to have her in my room. I wanted to BF. Truly. But shit went so sideways. And this time as a STM I am not afraid to ask for things as I am feeling even more educated now about what I can and cannot handle. I am super interested in rooming in and BF'ing this time, but I'm not going to kill myself over it. I also had PPD last time and like GEE I wonder why? I am glad to hear you have a plan about your medication and your instincts for how to manage yourself to be the best mom you can be in the early days!

I considered switching hospitals this time around, but frankly I love my OB, and last time I had a retained placenta and ended up back in the hospital 10 days postpartum, and they did SUCH a good job taking care of me. So L&D wasn't the best but all the care afterwards was - so I'm going to go back and just be a better advocate for myself. If something medically goes wrong, I would want to be at this particular hospital.
  • Options
    Since I've had a previous c-section and am hoping for VBAC, I plan to draft two birth plans based on the two potential deliveries. The deciding factors that would lead to a cesarean birth will be if baby is super large and/or if I need to be induced.  My provider/hospital don't do inductions for VBACs and after my last induction experience, I'm personally not willing to do it again. 

For FTM considering whether or not to have a birth plan, I highly recommend it, especially if you have any preferences on the naturalistic side.  With my last delivery, I wanted an all-natural water birth, but ended up with pre-e, pumped with meds, and a c-section, but I'm so happy that I educated myself and was able to understand what was happening to me and what my options were.  It was a painful experience, but I did not feel stressed throughout the ordeal.  
  • Options
    tropical1982tropical1982 member
    edited June 2018
    Well somewhere in my chart it's already noted that I will not be getting an epidural.  A resident was taking my info around 16 week appt and asked and was totally shocked when I said no.  My doctor knows I'll be attempting natural and I will have a doula, that's as far as I got with her.  I'll bring it up probably closer to the time when I have to go register at the hospital...7ish months I believe.

I believe you can ask alot of these questions if/when you go on a maternity tour.

3) What questions/ information from birth classes are you incorporating into your plan.
    I learned so much it's where I basically learned the ins and outs of what options there even were.  I'll post my birth plan/PREFERENCES once I get around to reviewing all that.  Only thing I will for sure be changing is delayed cord clamping.

@jemmerjams - exactly what @tinatt23 mentioned.  Because of ABO incompatibility (not Rh which you get  a vaccine for) my kids are more likely to be jaundiced.  I believe I have O+ blood type (ABO incompatibility can occur only if a woman with type O blood has a baby whose blood is type A, type B, or type AB. If a baby is type O there won't be a problem with a negative immune response because type O blood cells don't have immune-response triggering antigens).

In the delivery there is an exchange of blood and my antibodies basically attacks their red blood cells. The heftier the baby the easier it is for them to run it out of their systems.  My first was under bili lights for over 36hours.  As a new mom, seeing your newborn and not being able to hold him is tough!!  DS2 was heavier (almost 10lbs) and needed only sun therapy by the window and additional pricking to test for jaundice.  I'd rather not deal with that again.  Cut the cord ASAP.  I will be saving the placenta for encapsulation and making a tincture so they'll have that.  Delayed cord clamping is good if it works for your family.
    tinattt23 said:
    @jemmerjams Wasn’t necessarily a plan for jaundice. Just discussing how delayed cord clamping, while it does have its benefits, can also increase janudice risk. She just said we’d keep an extra eye out for it and worst case (unlikely) he’d go under the lights. But with a family history of jaundice, maybe it’s be worth discussing delayed vs immediate clamping. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    FYI for anything in your birth plan, be specific!! Example if you say delay cord clamping it is still very open ended. I know a hospital in the area has different Dr's who feel differently about what 'delayed' actually means. One is 30 seconds another is about two minutes. I was even told using 'until the cord stops pulsing' isn't good as it is very flexible when each person feels it has stopped. After 30 min after the placenta delivery, check with me before clamping etx are all better wording. Crazy how specific one needs to be! 
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst :) all love felt :) I just know it has great properties of coating the intestines and if you can do it awesome. But yes, not trying to make anyone feel bad if they can't do it due to medication/whatever.