December 2015 Moms
Options

Marijuana and pregnancy

1235»

Re: Marijuana and pregnancy

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I know a little girl born without a hand because her mother smoked pot. The end.
  • Options
    As far as marijuana being a gateway drug, that does not mean that if you smoke pot you are automatically going to end up doing hard drugs. What GATEWAY means is that it opens up doors that probably wouldn't have been open if you had never done the drug. For instance, MOST cocaine users, pill poppers, and heroine shooters started off with smoking marijuana.

Again, I'm not saying everybody. But in most cases.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kepoolekepoole member
    edited June 2015
    "
    I think people are judging because they are pregnant and doing everything they can to do what's best for their babies and then talking online to other women who are pregnant and using a substance that is harmful to fetus'. It's understandable that the topic of conversation is heated and even upsetting. "

^^^I think that's a huge part of the debate. There are studies that were stopped because they werent getting the negative responses they wanted, but there are no medical documents that prove it does harm the fetus. There's just not enough research to back up either, just people's personal experience.
  • Options
    Yes, weed is a gateway drug. But not everyone experiements further. To deny that alcohol and tobacco arent ALSO gateway drugs is ridiculous. Add prescription drug abuse in there as well. Weed being labeled as a gateway drug is done to further push the negative culture of it. And seriously, are we concerned a mother is using a "gateway" drug because that means she will definitely decide to jump to coke or heroin while still pregnant? Lololol
  • Options
    THC readily crosses the placenta, we do know this, so to think it could affect development is not shocking. I think if you really want to consider smoking throughout pregnancy you should educate yourself beforehand. The issue is there is not a lot of information or research regarding the teenage brain and how it is when someone exposed it in utero. We do know it is more potent now because of the way it is grown and that it is genetically modified. It has effects on the adult brain that can be detrimental.
  • Options
    I was smoking for a long time.... even b4 i found out am pregnant, and one of the signs i knew am pregnant is that the smeel of pot made me feel horrible and i coudnt smoke it anymore
  • Options
    flyingmombulaflyingmombula member
    edited June 2015
    Some of our own parents were smoking cigarettes during their pregnancies because 'there wasn't enough evidence' that it was harmful to the fetus. It was actually recommended to keep weight down. I agree there hasn't been enough research done-- especially longitudinal studies. If smoking pot is harmful to the teenage brain and causes problems in adulthood, how will smoking (or edibles, or vapor) effect the fetal brain? IT. IS. NOT. WORTH. THE. RISK.

And as for Rx medications prescribed by docs, I have severe depression and ADHD, I was taking Prozac and Ritalin and stopped taking both of those. Not enough research. This might be inadvisable for some people but I'm doing okay.

edited to say I love my Rx, neither drug made me feel like a zom (or crazy hyper either, which happens to some who abuse ritalin)

SaveSave
  • Options
    fioripfiorip member

Some of our own parents were smoking cigarettes during their pregnancies because 'there wasn't enough evidence' that it was harmful to the fetus. It was actually recommended to keep weight down. I agree there hasn't been enough research done-- especially longitudinal studies. If smoking pot is harmful to the teenage brain and causes problems in adulthood, how will smoking (or edibles, or vapor) effect the fetal brain? IT. IS. NOT. WORTH. THE. RISK.

And as for Rx medications prescribed by docs, I have severe depression and ADHD, I was taking Prozac and Ritalin and stopped taking both of those. Not enough research. This might be inadvisable for some people but I'm doing okay.

edited to say I love my Rx, neither drug made me feel like a zom (or crazy hyper either, which happens to some who abuse ritalin)
    This, not worth it! Thank you
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    I'm probably really late to the party on the whole laced MJ topic, but it does happen and it happens often.

Not to share too many details of people who aren't on the boards, but DH has a long history with recreational drug use and not specifically MJ. He was a partier in art school and frequented raves and other events every weekend. They did many MANY different types of drugs (never ever heroine but cocaine, acid, E, mushrooms, etc, etc, the list goes on). He also sold drugs for awhile and was very in the know in that scene.

And, among the people he hung out with, did drugs with, sold drugs with, etc, the VAST majority stayed away from MJ because they never knew what it would be laced with. It was a genuine concern and they all either had personal stories or had friends who were affected by it. When you buy MJ illegally, you have no idea what it has been laced with. What it has come in contact with. What else you are smoking in addition to the weed. To me, that's never worth the risk.

Now days, there are definitely safer ways to get MJ. There are many dispensaries, people grow their own, etc. If you know your source, then awesome. Feel confident in what you're smoking. But if you buy it off someone random, a friend gives it to you, or you don't know SPECIFICALLY how it was grown and came to be in your possession it isn't smart, especially while pregnant. 

Just my two cents.
  • Options

Seriously, call me close minded, naive or whatever you want but I honestly can't believe there are this many women talking about how much they miss smoking pot. I haven't since high school, and haven't missed it either. And as I was projectile vomiting this morning I sure as heck wasn't wishing I had a bowl to smoke. Everyone lives different lives and have different opinions and regardless of the fact that I completely disagree with smoking anything while pregnant, I find it sad that people are counting down the weeks and months till they can smoke, drink, whatever. Ya know what I can't wait for in December? MY BABY! Holding, snuggling, feeding, sleepless nights, and getting to know the sweet person I've been sharing a body with. And if you have to give up things you like to make that happen, so be it. Two cents, rant over.

-lurking only-
    I love you & this post times a thousand! =D>
  • Options
    Little+TinyLittle+Tiny member
    edited April 2016
    edited because I just realized how old this is whoops
  • Options
    Quick! Someone post a zombie gif!
  • Options
    Little+TinyLittle+Tiny member
    edited April 2016
    ammnam14 said:
    Quick! Someone post a zombie gif!
    lmao I'm so sorry! Someone in nov16 mentioned this and I totally forgot to check how old it was.  *facepalm*

Could have sworn it said dec16 at the top
  • Options
    I miss my glory days...before I became a red avatar. 

And I miss my snarky friends. 
    Red avatars are truly the best.
  • Options
    And it's real fitting this thread got pulled up on 4/20, just saying. 

<3 
  • Options
    I have been reading all of these comments on smoking marijuana before and during pregnancy and your comment just sticks out. Leukaemia is not caused from smoking pot. Whether or not a person is for or against marijuana they should know the facts before bantering in the comments sections. Yes actual medical studies are uncomfirmed because they can't find anything negative. Be aware mom's not haters!
  • Options
    estepheiyestepheiy member
    edited May 2018
    My friend recommends me the CBD oil and Hemp oil for me to use because I'm having a hard time to breath everytime i do my household chores. She told me that it may help reduce symptoms related to cancer and side effects related to cancer treatment, like nausea, vomiting, and pain. And upon researching about it i read this https://www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com/blogs/marijuana-news/what-makes-cannabis-so-great that the cannabis can help us in many ways as well as in medical purpose. So is this safe for me to use because im pregnant now for 2 months?
  • Options
    My friend recommends me the CBD oil and Hemp oil for me to use because I’m having a hard time to breath everytime i do my household chores. She told me that it may help reduce symptoms related to cancer and side effects related to cancer treatment, like nausea, vomiting, and pain. And upon researching about it i read this https://www.gyo.green/gyo-seedbank-bubba-kush-bst-bbk-f.html that the cannabis can help us in many ways as well as in medical purpose. So is this safe for me to use because im pregnant now for 3 months?