October 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

Even though we have one this week already, I wanted to put it out there before pregnancy brain gets a hold of the idea and I forget.

Did you baby carry?
What's your favorite brand?
Least Favorite?
Did you use different ones for different stages (infant/toddler)?
Did baby love it? Hate it?

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• Options
    Also- What did you look for in fit?
  • Options
    So I had quite a few! I had a baby ktan, a Sakura bloom ring sling, a ergo 360, a Tula, and a Lenny lamb wrap conversion. The ones I got the most use out of are the baby ktan when they're itty bitty, and the Tula once they're big enough. 

So I have an old shoulder injury from college and the ring sling did not work for me. It threw everything out of wack. I had s go to a chiro and he basically said my shoulder couldn't handle the weight and the rest of my back was trying to overcompensate. 

The Lenny lamb was just meh. It was so beautiful, but just not amazing. The ergo 360 worked nicely for front facing and for the time before the Tula fit and when the ktan was too small.

My absolute favorite was my Tula (which unfortunately got stolen from my car) so this time I think I'll be grabbing a Tula free to grow. With 2 kids (or 3) the forward facing in the carrier doesn't happen as much, and with grocery shopping once they're old enough putting the baby on my back was key! Then I may sell my ergo360. The Tula is just so much more comfortable. I've also heard great things about lilliebaby! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a K’tan Breeze and a Tula. 

Never felt like I could get a secure hold with the K’tan. Always still had one hand on DS which kind of defeats the purpose.

DS grew super slow so it took awhile for him to fit the Tula even with the infant insert. When he finally did, I just wasn’t a huge fan. It was really hot. We’d both end up drenched in sweat. And it just felt so bulky. I’m only 5’0”, so I’m sure that’s part of it, but it took over my entire torso. I struggled getting the back shoulder clasp buckeled by myself. We still used it as needed until DS was able to sit in a cart around 6 months or so. Only used it a few times after that and it hurt my hips as he got heavier (disclaimer that my hips have been jacked since DS was born).

This time around I expect to need to baby wear more often (even when we’re at home). So I’m trying to find the perfect option that works for newborns, isn’t hot, is easy to get on and off frequently, and fit my frame better.
  • Options
    Love babywearing! I’ve used everything from stretchy wraps, woven wraps, ringslings, an Ergo, Tula (baby and toddler size), and tested a TwinGo for a local group. I like woven wraps because they can be used for front m, back, hip, and tandem carries. I’ll probably invest in a tandem carrier this time around, either the TwinGo or a Naked Panda Duo for when these guys are sitting up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I’ve had the Bijorn, a Sakura Bloom Ring Sling, and a LILLEbaby. I loved the ring sling for when they were little and all snuggly! The Bijorn was okay but not my favorite. I recently sold it. I like the LILLEbaby a lot as well, but got it when my daughter was older so I’m excited to use it with this one. 
  • Options
    I have babyworn both my girls from the first day out of the hospital and still wear my almost 4 year old occassionally. I have tried most wraps/carriers as well. Ringslings are my absolutely favorite for newborns. I used woven wraps quite a bit with dd1 and used my tula more with dd2. I am not a big fan of stretchy wraps but do like wovens. I loved my organic ergo with dd1 but eventually moved to my WC Tula (my favorite). I also did have a lillebaby with dd2, but she hated it. I thought she would prefer being in a carrier without an insert but she screamed every time she was in there. I ended up putting her in an infant insert in the tula and she never cried again. Every baby is different. If they don't like one carrier then keep trying different types. If you are interested in babywearing but not sure were to start, look into local babywearing groups. They often have carriers to try out or even "rent."
  • Options
    I’ve used three carriers with DS. When he was newborn, we used the boba wrap, and it was pretty good. Took a little learning to get it just right, but once we had it down it was great. We thought the wrap was great for the early days because DS was way too tiny for us to comfortably use other carriers. 

The other one we loved (and still do) is the boba 4g soft structured carrier. I always found it super comfy to wear DS in this one, and it’s really easy to adjust. I’m pretty petite and DH is on the larger side, so it was important for us to have a carrier that worked for both of us. The straps are easy to tighten or loosen, so we were both always able to switch back and forth. Love that it can do a front carry or back carry, and it comes with a little snap in infant insert (basically a pillow to make them sit higher) so that you can use it when they’re smaller too. I’ve worn DS in it for hours sometimes, and it’s never made me uncomfortable (though sometimes I do feel hot wearing him, but that’s more due to the fact that I’m always hot everywhere, so I’d be hot baby wearing no matter what). 

The third one we had was a Sakura bloom ring sling, which we were given as a hand me down from family who were past the baby wearing stage. I’ve heard great things about ring slings, but I was never a fan. No matter what I did, it never seemed as secure or comfortable to me, and I was always readjusting or keeping a hand on the baby. With the boba being so easy to strap on and go, I never found the need to try and make the ring sling work. 
  • Options
    Oh man I have tried almost all of them! 
    for baby baby I had the Ktan and loved it. I also had an ergo with the newborn insert which was meh. When he was about 3 months we had gauze ring slings which led down the sakura bloom rabbit hole. When he was bigger we moved to Tulas and then toddler tulas. I unfortunately didn't think I was going to have another one so sold all my slings and only have toddler tulas. I just ordered a lillebaby all season so can't wait to try that out. I also want a Sakura scout. I had a few that just didn't fit right for me. I loved the boba air for travel but its not supportive so can't wear for a super long time. Living in NYC we used carriers ALOT.

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @knottieamusements
    For fit you want baby snug, kissable and have their chin up. Their legs should be froggied when baby and in the shape of an M when using legs out. There are a ton of articles. If you have a local baby wearing group you can usually try out a bunch. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I loved my Ergo the most. Definitely needed the infant insert, though. My sister had loaned me a huge selection of carriers, but never mentioned anything about the insert. I was lucky enough to get to participate in a market research study for Ergo, and they helped me get a proper fit with the insert, and it made a huge difference. I got to try out the 360 at that time and really liked it, so if I buy a new one this time around, it will probably be the 360.

I also had a mai tie style that I really liked for around the house, it was comfortable and I didn't have to fiddle with clips and things. But the straps on mine weren't as long as I needed them to be, so we outgrew that one pretty quickly.
  • Options
    I've had an Ergo Sport, K'Tan, and Tulas, as well as ring sling. I used the K'Tan when DS was itty-bitty, but I had trouble with feeling like he was secure. Maybe it was because he was so small, or maybe I just needed a smaller size. Either way, once he got a little bigger I quit using it. I never got comfortable with my Ergo with my son, so I never really wore it, plus he hated being worn, so it just wasn't fun for anyone. I actually sold that one a year or so ago.

With DD I started with a ring sling (RS) and I loved that thing. I have an Oscha, but they all work the same. It was easy to get her high and tight, and quick on and off when doing quick trips or just around the house. I plan on using it again when 3.0 is first born. My only dislike with it was as DD got older, it was somewhat restrictive on whatever arm I had the rings on, since it does come down on the shoulder a bit.

Now that both DD and DS are older, Tulas are my go to carrier. Even my once wearing-averse DS has his own now that he uses. I freaking love them. I'm actually wearing DD in one of our Tulas in my profile photo. I find they're very easy to get on, and comfortable for me and the kids. Even H wears the kids in them from time to time. I actually have two toddler sized, three standard sized, and two free-to-grow sized. I probably should get rid of a few (I admit, I may have an addiction to them) but I'm justifying holding on to them at least until 3.0 is born since we're team green... They can get warm to wear in the summer, but two of mine are coasts (mesh insert in the panel) so that helps some. To be honest I find that the mesh is more beneficial for the kid than the parent. I never used an insert in them so I can't speak to how that works; by the time I started using them religiously with DD I was using a rolled up blanket for a boost (I know, not the best decision but I know better now).

I wouldn't be able to get half of what I do done without my freaking Tulas. DD is so Mommy-centric that it's just easier to strap her on my back while I'm cooking dinner and she's freaking out. I love using them when we go to festivals and fairs as well because they're so much easier than a stroller. We went to the Irish festival last year and H wore DS for the first time and was like "OMG we're never taking the stroller to anything like this again." I can tandem wear the kids when I'm taking them to football tailgates and want to keep them close in the crowds but don't want to deal with a stroller.

• Options
    eireyeseireyes member
    edited April 2018
    @tinattt23 have you tried stretching your hamstring for your hip? I know it sounds weird, but my left hip was horrible for about a year after having DD; like, I'd limp after sitting for a bit. I don't know what prompted me to check, but I discovered my left hami was horrifically tight and actually pulling my hip out of whack. I worked to really stretch things out and that eventually resolved things. (I know it may not help or you may have already tried it, but I figured I'd put it out there since I know how much a bum hip sucks.)

• Options
    I'm obsessed with my Lillebaby embossed. I also have the tie know Lillebaby and Boba wrap. I prefer the wraps for the first 2-4 weeks because they're so so tiny. After the first month I started using the embossed. I love have both hands free and wear DS2 all the time.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    So we had the Baby Bjorn and the Boba Wrap. I thought the Bjorn was great for the price. DD was smaller so I could carry her in it for long periods of time without any issues at all. I've heard it's not so great for larger babies though. DH really loved wearing DD in the Bjorn as well. I really loved my Boba Wrap, but I hated having to tie it every time. It took so long and I always struggled to get it right. Eventually I got better at it, but then the weather was too warm to have all those layers on so I went back to the Bjorn. I'm planning to buy the K'tan this time though just to save some of the trouble of tying on the Boba. 
  • Options
    Ergo 360, ring sling, and a whole mess of tulas. My favorite, especially for nursing, was the ring sling. No contest. Going to get a new handwoven one for this nugget. I loved it when she was tiny and fit in it sideways to nap, and then there was an awkward middle phase when she hated it for a couple months, and then by 6-7m she was strapped to my hip in that thing 24/7. The tulas are also wonderful, especially for bigger kids, and incredibly easy to use. The ergo is fine, but very similar to the tulas and I prefer the latter. H liked the ergo and I liked him not messing with the settings on my carriers, so we made that one his. Both girls loved the tulas, ring sling, and ergo pretty equally. DD2 stopped letting me wear her around 14m, and once she wasn’t having it DD1 revolted too.

I also had a moby wrap and a baby k’tan, and hated both. The wrap was just not worth the effort to tie the damn thing. I’ve never been good at origami, and this was a similar problem. The ktan was just not supportive enough for my liking.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love baby wearing. I have a boba, an infantino meh dias, and two lillebaby carriers (all seasons complete and airflow complete). I like the boba for newborn stage, but then it's lillebaby all the way. I love my lilles! My favorite features are the lumbar support, tummy pad, and that you don't need an infant insert (unless you have an essentials). I can't say enough good things about them, and their customer service is the best! 
  • Options

I had a boba with Z and used it maybe twice. Tying it was too much work in public.

I have horrible back issues and had to return every other carrier I tried. Anyone know of a good one that won't kill my back? I'd love to wear #3 since I can't find an affordable double stroller that I like and Z will be 2 one week after my due date.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    tinattt23tinattt23 member
    edited April 2018
    Those who have used ring slings, what's the difference between all the brands? Big thing just seems to be what the fabric is made of? How soft/scratchy, stretchy/stiff, thick/thin? But I can spend $50 or $150...
  • Options
    @krzyriver have you tried a Lillebaby? They have a lumbar support that might be good for your back. 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 there are a ton of different fabrics that are used. Linen is light weight and cooler, but tends to get diggy as baby gets bigger. Woven wrap material tends to be soft, and can be used for newborns through toddlers (most have a 35lbs weight limit due to stitching). Athletic mesh is really only good for use in water, and doesn’t grip the rings unless wet. 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 Yes material and "name brands" Also the way the shoulder is styled, pleated, gathered etc. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @BLyn627 I haven't, but I've heard good things. I'll look into it, thank you!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @krzyriver I tried one on at Buy Buy Baby before I bought my first one. I originally wanted a Tula before I tried a Lille on and compared the two more. If you have a local baby wearing group, most have lending libraries and/or meet ups where you can learn, try on, and/or borrow before you commit. 
  • Options
    Any plus sized baby wearers here? I'd like to know what works best for larger body types.
  • Options
    I used a Boba wrap for maybe a couple weeks when DS was a newborn. It was the biggest pain in the ass to get on, but once it was, it was cool to be hands free while he napped on me, but all of a sudden he started hating it. 

I’ve used the Tula since he was big enough to not need the infant insert (it was kinda awkward for us) and have loved it ever since. Super comfortable and really handy for traveling, especially napping on the plane. I’ve never tried him on my back - might have to soon with my belly growing.
  • Options
    @ummibtihaj I can only speak for Lillebaby, but their waistband can fit up to size 22-26 depending on where you wear it and how you carry your weight. They also have extenders that add an extra 9.5 inches and when I was double checking that on amazon, I saw it said you could even add two extenders together safely. 

I would imagine other brand carriers have waist extenders too, but I can’t say for sure. 
  • Options
    I have the K'tan, 2 wildbird ring slings, and lillebaby all season. 
    When DS was tiny I loved the K'tan. Once he hit about 15-18 lbs it felt like he wasn't secure anymore. Before that though it was awesome, easy to use, quick and he loved it.
    The ring slings were great once he was bigger (about the 15lb range luckily.) Before that I felt like he wasn't really supported, but at about 12-15lbs it felt like he finally had enough weight for the sling to hold onto him. Most of this I use around the house or grocery store, that's it. Not a long term or heavy use. 
    I picked wildbird because I wasn't sure if I'd like a ring sling and didn't want to spend a ton - they're very reasonably priced and good quality. I really like them. 

The lillebaby was originally purchased for my H, who loves it. He used it from the beginning and DS has always liked it. No infant insert needed and definitely supportive enough for long walks or days at fairs, etc. I feel better in it for long periods of time or rough terrain - you do not feel the weight at all pretty much while using this. Love it. 

The K'tan comes in sizes, but I don't know how big they go. The ring slings have extra long ones you can purchase (with wildbird they're the same price as well) if you're bigger and wraps are the same I believe.  The lillebaby is great for variable sizes and can get pretty big with extenders as @BLyn627 stated. 
  • Options
    Ladies who have worn baby on their back...were you able to maneuver it without someone else helping you? I know it's a silly question but we only ever used our Boba and infantino carrier (which we all three really loved) but never back wore.
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsmartinez16, yes. There are a few ways to get them on your back yourself. YouTube is great for this. For my Lille, I use either the Superman way (grab their shoulders with your opposite hands and swing them up and around you) or put them in on the front or side and grab the carrier straps and slide it around until it’s on your back and then tighten the straps. I’m probably explaining these really bad, but YouTube is really your best bet with this. 
  • Options
    Ladies who have worn baby on their back...were you able to maneuver it without someone else helping you? I know it's a silly question but we only ever used our Boba and infantino carrier (which we all three really loved) but never back wore.
    Yeah, very doable. I’d sit in a chair or on a couch while I got them positioned so that they were secure and upright while I was getting situated.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DunkinDecaf @BLyn627 Thanks so much, I should have learned that if all else fails youtube!
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsmartinez16 I've also found that once my DD got used to back wearing she was good at sitting in the right spot/positioning on my back while I get the carrier adjusted and on. I can pick her up and lean over and set her on my back and she just chills out there while I get her strapped down.

• Options
    @ummibtihaj In the Lillebaby FB group I've seen woman up to a size 22 babywear. Lillebaby also has an extender that you can purchase.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    I did some baby wearing. My favorite was my infantino mei tai. This time around I might gift myself a Fidella Fly Tai.

If you’re planning to babywear check out Baby-wearing International and see if there is a chapter in your area. I joined when DS was an infant and for 30$ a year I could borrow carriers from their libraries. It’s a great way to try before you buy.

https://babywearinginternational.org/

• Options
    @ummibtihaj I'm a size 20 and Tula is my favorite. There's still plenty of room in the waist if I needed it. Definitely thankful considering being pregnant and still back wearing DS on occasion.

As far as getting DS up by myself, I second YouTube. It took me a while to get the hang of it, more so because I was terrified of dropping him. Haha
    Both of the suggestions @BLyn627 made are how I do it as well. 
  • Options
    Has anyone ever bought a knock off ring sling on Etsy? These all have really good reviews. And a linen sling for $34 vs ~$90 sure is tempting...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/202677132/bibetts-pure-linen-ring-sling-baby?ref=shop_home_active_3
  • Options
    @tinattt23 I  had a 2bibetts guaze ring sling and it was great. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tinattt23 I think just have to be careful because they might not be as safe as ones sold in stores.
  • Options
    @cdepperschmidt It does say that they must pass the CPSIA and ASTM tests (whatever those entail). 
  • Options
    MylittaMylitta member
    edited April 2018
    @tinattt23 That's why I like wildbird. They're $60... so not super cheap, but better than a lot

Eta: and good quality