September 2018 Moms

The great big Baby Registry thread!!!

Re: The great big Baby Registry thread!!!

• _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • If registering for a swing, remember to look at how LO gets strapped in. We splurged and bought a Rockaroo swing for DS and didn't even think about the harness system at the time - it just had a waist strap (not a 5 point harness that goes up over the shoulders, like a car seat) so as soon as he was able to move a little I was afraid he'd get launched right out of there! He was still well under the weight limit but surprisingly mobile, so we had to stop using the swing way before we thought we would. The swing was great and worked magic to get DS asleep, but definitely not worth the splurge considering how little we got to use it.
  • Loading the player...
  • DH was enthralled wth the 4 mom breeze playard - anyone familiar? Granted this was on our first ten minute excursion to look at baby stuff for the first time, but it has a one button assembly/fold up that he thought was the greatest thing ever. I told him I didn’t know if we even needed one of those haha. 
  • ashh2018 said:
    DH was enthralled wth the 4 mom breeze playard - anyone familiar? Granted this was on our first ten minute excursion to look at baby stuff for the first time, but it has a one button assembly/fold up that he thought was the greatest thing ever. I told him I didn’t know if we even needed one of those haha. 
    I wanted one so bad, ended up with pack and play-still not convinced I did the right thing. PNP is so hard to set up and take down, so I never just bring it outside. Heavy and hard to move. It makes a home travel crib, but bad playpen to move about the house, or outside.

The Phil and Ted portable crib was another thing I wish I had instead of PNP, lol. Haven't touched it, but met someone who had it and loved it. Not QUITE as easy to set up as the 4 Moms, more like a PNP difficulty level, but only weighs 7 lbs or something, folds up into a bag the size of a folded cheap tiny umbrella stroller, and you can unzip a side and crawl in with baby. 

can you tell I don't love my PNP?
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @treeofcheem we love the zutano booties. We had a pair in almost every size for DS. 
  • nackie said:
    @treeofcheem we love the zutano booties. We had a pair in almost every size for DS. 
    Love them too! We didn't get them until a little before a year but I wish I had heard about them sooner!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • zuzu43zuzu43 member
    edited March 2018
    As a FTM, I am LOVING this thread! Thank you ladies  :)
  • Lcardinal04Lcardinal04 member
    edited March 2018
    Any suggestions on video monitors? We need a new one that can do multiple channels. The baby bargain book top pick doesn’t have the VOX option, which I love about DD’s current monitor. 

VOX is the function that allows you to basically put the screen in sleep mode, and if there is enough sound coming from baby’s room, it turns on the video monitor while allowing you to still have the audio off. 

@treeofcheem I’d never heard of those booties but they look amazing! Def going on my list.
  • Another vote here for zutano booties! Until she could walk those were the only shoes we used.
  • @jhjocelyn thanks I’ll look into that! Can you travel with that set up? Like take it with you for weekend trips.
  • @Lcardinal04  We took it on a werk long trip, as mong as where you are staying has wifi it will work, but I’d be leery in a hotel or somethjng where lots of people are using thhe same connection. It’s not as simple as buying an actual baby video monitor set up, but we figured long term we’d still have the option to use the cameras on the property down the road. We have an audio only we use for travelling that has worked out just fine. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• jhjocelyn said:
    @Lcardinal04

we use a basic foscam security camera and I spent $5 on an app that will alarm when she makes more noise than the set level from her noisemaker. It works great for me. 
    (snip)
    Oh, that's what we had, too! The Foscam camera, not the app. It was something we already had so we repurposed it as a video monitor. My husband set up some app that let us check everything from our phones and reposition the camera if we needed to. So for us, it was always on but we only saw what was there when we checked it. He's very techy and I was very comfortable with his level of security on there, but I do worry about cameras being hacked and wouldn't ever set it up myself, I don't know enough about all that stuff.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Lcardinal04  We have a Levana one and it can have up to 4 cameras I think. 
  • So I was going to post this in the STM thread but really want FTMs to benefit from this info. I was working on adding some stuff to my Amazon registry and was curious about options for this. Did anyone use anything beside lanolin for their nipples/breastpump flanges for lubrication for pumping? 

This was an absolute necessity to me that I had no idea I was supposed to do when I first started. I used lanolin, but I really hated how it was subject to temperature and when it was too cold I couldn't get it out of the tube easily. Any recommendations?

Have we already covered breast pumps and accessories? If not, should we do that for the next product spotlight?
  • nlc8424 said:
    *snip* Did anyone use anything beside lanolin for their nipples/breastpump flanges for lubrication for pumping? *snip*
    I used lanolin for sore nipples in the beginning and olive oil while pumping at work! I read coconut oil is fine too. And yes to pumps/accessories for our next product spotlight! 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• @nlc8424 so...uh... We're supposed to use lubrication while pumping? This is not a thing I have heard of.
  • stothi said:
    @nlc8424 so...uh... We're supposed to use lubrication while pumping? This is not a thing I have heard of.
    This is also me. However I will say all lanolin is not created equal. I thought the Medela stuff smelled funny and really liked the lanolish (purple tube)
  • I preferred olive oil. You don't have to use lube for pumping, but when I was pumping 10-16 times per day plus nursing sessions in there too, it was nice. Didn't like lanolin at all. I transported olive oil in little plastic dressing containers from a restaurant. Literally just asked for them-most hospital cafeterias have them too-and I maybe needed 4 or 5 total, they work for a long time and you can just refill. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @southernlady07 and @pourmeamocktail thanks! I've read about olive/coconut oils but hadn't tried it myself. I'll have to look into small containers/travel size versions since I'll be pumping in different places at work and tend to carry a big bag with me for all of my stuff.

@stothi and @EErin86 I found it was SO painful to pump and have my nipples rubbing against the flanges without any kind of lube there. Like I'm pretty sure I would have quit if I didnt figure that trick out. Yes not all lanolin is created equal, I did use the lansinoh brand which was fine, but when I had to travel in the car to one of my sites (hour long drive) it would be impossible to get the lanolin out since it was too cold. 
  • Do you just wipe the nipple cream off before BF? I assume it's not good for baby to ingest it. It seems like the constant rubbing on and off of cream on your nips would cause irritation. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• I really liked Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter. I didn't care for lanolin at all.

@nlc8424, @EErin86 - I never used any lubrication while pumping. Sometimes I would put some EMAB nipple butter on after, but for the most part I was fine without for my 3-4 pumps a day at work. There are different size flanges so ideally you can find one to use that won't cause any rubbing, but not everyone will be able to get a perfect fit so I can see why some moms would need it. Especially EPers since they have to pump so much more frequently!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • starla said:
    Do you just wipe the nipple cream off before BF? I assume it's not good for baby to ingest it. It seems like the constant rubbing on and off of cream on your nips would cause irritation. 
    I use products that are safe for baby, so nope, no need to wipe. Honestly most of the nipple products absorb pretty quickly so it's not like there's gobs of it on there.
  • @nlc8424 ah! I see. For some reason I was picturing you oiling up the whole boob, not just the nipple. Lol. I totally see where a sensitive nipple rubbing would be very uncomfortable! Fortunately (?) my nipples really aren't sensitive at all so they could rub pretty much all day and it wouldn't bother me. It takes direct pressure like a bite or say a toddler elbow smashing a nipple against a rib, to cause me nipple pain.
  • @stothi lol! Nope definitely not lubing up my whole boob while at work ;).
  • Must-haves
    Arms Reach Co Sleeper
    Pacifiers (various types - babies can be picky)
    Forget baby socks - get the booties that snap.They stay on.
    SwaddleMe blankets in light and fleece fabrics (instead of receiving blankets - much easier).
    Nursing pads for the leaky ladies
    Cute hamper for all that laundry!
    Changing pad - because public bathrooms are gross
    Great diaper bag with lots of pockets - it will become your purse too. Maybe one for your dad-to-be too.
    Extra breast pumping supplies (for working moms esp!). I had backups of all my Medela bottles.
    Breast milk bags - lots and lots of them.
    Toys and teethers (but don't go nuts)
    Get a clip-on sound machine/soother 
    Nail clippers
    Butt rash paste - different brands.
    Newborn shirts with side-snap (for new moms nervous about changing your just born, these shirts were AWESOME to work with. So easy to remove without waking up baby!
    Swing or vibrating chair-type sleeping option
    Hiking child carrier (for outdoor lovers - this came in handy for all our hikes!)
    Stroller/Car Seat combo

Waste of $$$
    Crib quilts
    Crib mobiles - they last for 90 seconds, so you'll have to run in there and turn it on.
    Nose Frida - yuck. I thought it was gross.
    Baby powder - not safe.
    Johnson and Johnson baby lotions/wash - dries out skin.
    Too many size newborn or 1 diapers. They grow so fast. Stock up on size 2/3.

• Waste of $$$
    Too many size newborn or 1 diapers. They grow so fast. Stock up on size 2/3.
    I agree it's not a great idea to stock up because your baby (general you) could grow fast, but my kid was in NBs and Size 1 for a long time!
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • @DanyTargaryen & @sarah-ruby-21

Dd was a special snowflake and wore newborn for 6 months... and then wore 0-3 for 6 months and finally graduated to 6-9 for her first birthday... 

You really just never know what you’ll be dealing with sometimes. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Fun fact! My BIL works for a diaper manufacturer. Diapers don't expire (even if they have a date on them) so if you end up with half a box left or you just have a lot of storage space you can keep them for your next baby or pass them along to a friend.
  • EErin86 said:
    Fun fact! My BIL works for a diaper manufacturer. Diapers don't expire (even if they have a date on them) so if you end up with half a box left or you just have a lot of storage space you can keep them for your next baby or pass them along to a friend.
    That's what we did! We saved diapers from DS for whenever #2 came along so we already have some Size 1s in the basement.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • @EErin86. That’s super good to know!  DH and I were just wondering about that the other day. We have a few diapers left in each size 
  • Thanks @nlc8424 @stothi!
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• @jhjocelyn - Totally agree! My Chicco NextFit Zip was completely worth the extra money to be able to zip off the cover and toss it in the wash after DS puked all over it a couple weeks ago.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16