Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY: Your favorite natural products

It seems like many of us are trying to make some major lifestyle changes on this TTGP journey, especially with all the recommendations in It Starts with the Egg. So tell us, what are your favorite natural products? They can be beauty items, household goods, or even foods that we might not expect. Feel free to edit your recommendations as you remember items or try new products.

Me: 35 DH: 28
TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
Our journey has come to an end.
~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~

Re: GTKY: Your favorite natural products

• @AlohaKumu Larabars are really clean and tasty. I know some people like RX bars, but personally I find them way too chewy. I’m not a fan. But sometimes for easy breakfast I’ll pre-make egg muffins or sweet potato crust quiche and eat on that for the week.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @KristoKekerooni Many Times, I bath in eposolm salt & don’t use soap. No judgement here. 
  • I use Dr Bronners all in one Wash.. They make tons of products! 
    https://www.drbronner.com/
  • @lalala2004 Thanks for the suggestion on the Larabars. I'll have to check them out!
    @SkilledSailor I definitely want to look up more natural makeup options. I use Bare Minerals as a light powder every morning, but I know they aren't natural.
    @KristoKekerooni I really tried to use dry shampoo and all sorts of combos of the baking soda/apple cider vinegar stuff, but my hair simply isn't having it. (I also have really long hair, so I know that makes it harder.) But I like your soap trick!
    @tamalahoops Thanks for sharing the soap suggestion. (The coconut + lemon option sounds like it would smell amazing when unscented wasn't needed.)
    @redlikeme The Native deodorant now has a sensitive option that's baking soda free! I'm definitely going to check out that subscription box.
    @holly321 That's awesome that you make so many of your own products. I'll usually use the baking soda/vinegar method for most cleaning, but the stovetop can be tricky.
    @jrm_14 I love everything you posted!!! I'm going to check out those recipes, too.
    @ndz2018 I have friends who swear by Dr. Bronners, so I'm going to look into that as an option, too.
    TTC since June 2016

Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
  • ndz2018ndz2018 member
    edited December 2017
    @AlohaKumu a big bottle lasts us forever it’s about $17-$20 for a 32oz bottle I think.. I love the Lavendar One. They sell it at target and Walgreens 
  • @AlohaKumu , Yeah, I have really oily, long hair, so it doesn't work super well, but it gets me between washes at least!
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• Stalking this thread and adding stuff left and right to different carts online!  Thank you ladies all for your suggestions!  It's hard to randomly pick items and just hope they work so I like knowing what you guys all use. 

@AlohaKumu expect a trial size deodorant! 
    Also, I like Rx bars - but my RE is against carbs > protein and they are so I haven't been eating them recently.  I personally like the mint ones. They're very chewy but tasty! 
    Also, I added the chapstick you mentioned to my Amazon wishlist a while ago when you had mentioned it. My hubs bought it for my stocking for Christmas and I love it! 

@jrm_14 I've been meaning to switch out my tampons too for organic ones, I'll probably give those a shot! 

@redlikeme I'm definitely going to check out that subscription box as well! Thanks for the tip!
  • Where is the best place to buy all natural products? Do you all trust Amazon typically? I am just starting to get into the thought of using all natural products and am interested! 
  • @meladams10 I've been using desert essence for my shampoo/conditioner/body wash and I've found that Amazon is cheaper than my supermarket so I've been stocking up there.
  • @50Wife Thank you for the info! Sometimes I'm skeptical about buying products off Amazon so I'm glad to know you have good experience with it! 
  • @meladams10 Sometimes it takes comparison shopping, but I do end up buying many of my products through Amazon. (Often I'll buy and try a product from the supermarket first and then re-order from Amazon in the future if I want to continue using it.)
    @50Wife Thanks! I've still been really happy with the Native deodorant since I started using it. Awesome to hear about your chapstick stocking stuffer!
    TTC since June 2016

Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
  • @50wife they come with or without applicators, sonmake sure when you buy you’re getting what you like!  Organic tamping make the most sense for me, personally, as I don’t understand putting something with chemicals directly in on myself like that. They’re also far less irritating.  

@meladams10. I always make sure to choose Prime when shopping with a amazon. Even if you don’t have Prime, they’re trusted sources & it is guaranteed. 
  • jayliijaylii member
    edited December 2017
    Great post! I'll have to spend some time reading through this.I already use a lot of natural products, but am always looking for fresh ideas. It's challenging and a bit overwhelming for me so I try to focus on changing one thing at a time. Most products contain so much junk and it can be hard to find healthier alternatives. One resource that I've been using for years is the EWG website. They also have an app and it's so helpful for looking up product ratings!

Products I currently use and love:

Deodorant: Primal Pit Paste (buy on Amazon or their website). 
    Everyday face cream: Kiss my Face Face factor spf 30 sunscreen
    Face Cream - This is a heavy cream, but I love it! Great on face especially during dry winter months: JASON Age Renewal Vitamin E Crème 25,000 IU
    Face: Rose water spray. Really helps with redness and feels nice on skin.
    Body lotion: Eucerin Skin Calming Body Lotion (fragrance free)
    Face wash: Yes to Carrots Fragrance-Free Daily Cream Facial Cleanser
    Hand Soap: Dr. Bronner's lavender scent castille soap - it's sold in a large container as concentrate. I put the concentrate and water in foaming dispensers.
    Lady care: Love my lunette  mentrual cup!

Edited to a couple more things
  • Oh I love this thread! I use a lot of the products you all mentioned here, so I will just list a few different ones that I really like.

Soap: I love dapple soap (dish/bottle soap you can find at Walmart and target). 
    Cleaner: I also love the dapple all purpose cleaner for our home. I’ve used better life products too and if I could find them locally rather than ordering, I would use these more too. 
    Makeup: I mostly use tarte for my cover up and eye shadows
    lotion: babyganics 
  • @meatballs37 I love Tarte!  I had no idea they were ‘safe’ until recently. Someone gave me a bunch of it for my wedding. 

Idk if I already mentioned- I buy a lot of these products at Marshall’s/TJ Maxx/Home Goods for way cheaper than anywhere else. 
  • @jrm_14
     tarte is having a decent sale on their website right now too. I am thinking about getting a new blush and restocking my eyebrow powder. 
  • @meatballs37 Ohhhhhh, I love Tarte’s blush stick. 
  • jrm_14 said:
    @meatballs37 Ohhhhhh, I love Tarte’s blush stick. 
    Me toooo! :) 
  • Love these tips!!

Deodorant: Primal Pit Paste is awesome!!
    Face Oil: Vintner's Daughter ($$$ but makes my red fair combo-acne prone skin glow!)
    Face Wash - Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser (Also $$ but nothing else cleared my skin and doubles as scrub/mask)
    Face: Dickenson's Witch Hazel Towelettes (These are my HG!  They make my skin so calm and nice!)
    Body: Coconut Oil + Dry Brush
    Makeup: Kosas Beauty! The blushes are so pretty and they have cream or power formulas which is perfect for combo gals...also LOVE their lipsticks such good colors.
    Lip Balm: Kari Gran (it's a local Seattle natural company)
    Hair: Alba Gloss Boss (great smell and shine)

Anybody have a good rec on natural mascara that doesn't smudge?  I have long eyelashes and so far natural mascara just ends up on my brow bone...not cute!  Also a natural toothpaste that doesn't taste like baking soda??

Thanks!
    <3 Jen
  • @AlohaKumu I came back to look at this old post because I've started getting a rash from my primal pit paste deodorant eventhough I went to the sensitive version. Probably means I have a baking soda allergy. Thanks for the Native recommendation, I went ahead and ordered a sample pack of the sensitive formula which means you should be getting a travel size. We both win! :smile:
  • @jaylii I'm still so happy I switched over to Native! I mostly use the regular coconut and vanilla, but I've still been happy with the sensitive version, too. I hope you enjoy it :)
    TTC since June 2016

Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
  • Hired an organic pest control company which turns out to be cheaper than regular pest control on a quarterly basis. They got rid of a property ant infestation by spraying some sort of a cayenne pepper mixture. Who would've thought?

I stopped washing my face with anything else than a natural zinc soap and using organic witch hazel to remove makeup.

I barely eat any food aside from organic anymore.

BPA wherever I can cut it out.

With cleaning, I'm horrible because I have some sort of obsession that I must use bleach for something to be considered clean. My sister is working on that with me by telling me about vinegar solutions.

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @zamora_spin What fun threads do you want back?!

I bought at same acne face wash this last month & I LOVE IT. I wish I could find something to help my redness, though. 

• Thanks for updating the list, @zamora_spin! I’m going to check out that shampoo/conditioner, since the body in my hair isn’t so good with Avalon Organics 
    TTC since June 2016

Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
  • @zamora_spin I used to use coconut oil as a night time moisturizer but recently switched because apparently it is not non-comedogenic and I’m sure now that it was attributing to my breakouts.

facewash/makeup remover- just switched to neutropenia naturals. It’s 80% natural, which is better than the regular green acne one I was using.

spot treatment- I use tea tree oil to help dry up breakouts.

moisturizer- recently switched from coconut oil to jojoba oil and have really noticed a difference. It smells kind of nutty, which is weird but I like it.

serum/extra oomph- argan oil on face and in my hairline.

I need to switch my hair care to help with dandruff but haven’t gotten around to it. I currently use (I think) Paul Mitchell tea tree oil products.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • zamoraspinzamoraspin member
    edited March 2018
    @meggyme Yeah I could see that with the coconut oil, I only use it around my eyes to remove make-up, I think it might be too much moisture for the rest of my eta face. 
    @jrm_14 I think all the GKTY threads are no longer being posted here? I missed the deliberation I guess. I just worry that means people who usually post in IF/TTCAL/dailies/TFAS won't get to know each other, which is already an uphill battle. 
  • @zamora_spin Do you mean like the Monday Bitchfest, etc? I’d be happy if those came back, but I don’t know if older members got rid of them because of potential negativity.  
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • No one got rid of them,  they just aren't being posted by anyone. The chit chat was in addition to bmbs, ttgp or whatever board so you can keep in touch with people who move on, go to benched, adopt, have LO's.  If you want to see gtky threads in ttgp,  post em! Be the change :love:
  • @zamora_spin I have to say thank you for mentioning the Giovanni shampoo and conditioner! This was the first shampoo and conditioner that has made my hair feel the way the chemical filled stuff made my hair feel and it's amazing! I've tried brand after brand and I've found that I like some more than others, but nothing that I legit liked and would stick with. I'd totally stick with this stuff!! 
    You da best!!! 
    Xoxo,
    That girl with fab soft hair again
  • @50Wife Yasss! So glad it worked for you too. I have tried SO many of the other natural products and same result, all yuck!