October 2018 Moms
Options

Advice for First Time Moms (March)

edited March 2018 in October 2018 Moms
Hello!

This thread is specifically for advice for FTMs. Pearls of Wisdom, things to not register for, things to absolutely register for, what you did or didn’t do that was fantastic that you want to share with other Moms (especially FTMs). 

Edited title for clarity 

Re: Advice for First Time Moms (March)

• Options
    FTMs need this website in their lives:
    https://www.lucieslist.com/

***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Register for things you won’t need for a while - exersaucers, jumparoos, high chairs, etc.  Sure the baby can’t use it for the first 6 months or so, but those months fly by & you’ll be happy when you don’t have to go shopping for more gear so soon.

If you’re breastfeeding, only open, wash and sterilize 1 bottle before baby comes home. Some babies are picky about bottles and if he/she doesn’t like the style you picked, you can return the unopened bottles and get another kind to try & BF until you can get another bottle. (Not sure how EP and formula feeding moms handle bottles since I BFd my babies).
    Yes! I also registered for a convertible car seat, and it was great to not have to splurge and buy one myself! 

Also so I registered for 5 different types of single bottles and thank goodness I did! DS was so picky! He liked a specific kind, and DD liked a different kind. Thankfully now I have a kit of I think 8 different types of bottles that I let people borrow to see what their baby likes. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    Everything I planned for went differently. 

Bought two different contraptions to baby wear... I kept him in his bucket seat and stroller frame or did carside grocery pick up until he was big enough to go in the shopping cart. 

Fully intended to breast feed... gave up at 3 weeks. Bought three different kinds of bottles... got a Dr Browns for free at 4 months and used that exclusively. 

No one bought me the Velcro swaddlers and I didn’t want to spend the money or figure out how to roll a real swaddle, swore I’d just plop him down... swaddling came super easy to me. 

Go with the flow and never beat yourself up if things don’t go how you thought they’d go. What works for one baby doesn’t work for every baby. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Don't get the bottle warmer......if you're bottle feeding pumped milk, then just run it under warm water. It takes like no time and it's not worth the wasted money :)

Be laid back. If you're uptight, baby will be uptight. Just let it happen and it will all be fine!
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Halo Swaddlesacks. I have a drawer full of cute blankets that never got used. Those hospitals nurses are wizards. I don’t get it. Give me velcro.

Steal everything you can get your hands on from the hospital. They literally had to bring us a cart to load out stuff out. Extra diapers and wipes. The mesh underwear. Extra pads (I liked there’s way better than anything I found in the store). Whatever postpartum supplies they give you like witch hazel pads or dermablast. If you’re circumcising a boy, the little tubes of Vaseline are awesome. Way less messy than the big tub. The nurse was loading us up with goodies. No shame. 
  • Options
    Question: can anyone recommend where to buy maternity clothes/what to buy? I work in a semi-formal office so basically just can’t wear jeans. I also have a few weddings in the summer/early fall, bridal showers, etc. I hate the idea of buying a ton of clothes I’m not going to wear for that long. Any STM’s have advice on where to go and what to buy? 
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    Halo Swaddlesacks. I have a drawer full of cute blankets that never got used. Those hospitals nurses are wizards. I don’t get it. Give me velcro.

Steal everything you can get your hands on from the hospital. They literally had to bring us a cart to load out stuff out. Extra diapers and wipes. The mesh underwear. Extra pads (I liked there’s way better than anything I found in the store). Whatever postpartum supplies they give you like witch hazel pads or dermablast. If you’re circumcising a boy, the little tubes of Vaseline are awesome. Way less messy than the big tub. The nurse was loading us up with goodies. No shame. 
    My dr told me to steal the huge waterproof pads from the hospital (the ones that they put underneath you) and they're AMAZING! So huge, and make diaper changes anywhere so much less gross. Also super easy to clean. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    @hellopartyof5 Yes! I took a bunch of those too. Put them on my bed because I was terrified I’d bleed every, even though it wasn’t an issue. At least they soaked up some of the postpartum night sweats.  :D
  • Options
    Question: can anyone recommend where to buy maternity clothes/what to buy? I work in a semi-formal office so basically just can’t wear jeans. I also have a few weddings in the summer/early fall, bridal showers, etc. I hate the idea of buying a ton of clothes I’m not going to wear for that long. Any STM’s have advice on where to go and what to buy? 
    Check out this thread, there's a ton of great info!! 
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12724965/maternity-clothes 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    tinattt23 said:

We had 2 little Houdinis.  They could get out of every swaddle I did & I had practice with my little sister (I’m 14 years older than her).  Those Velcro swaddle blankets were no match for my kids.  My husband could get them to stay in more often than I could, but it was still a struggle.  Their arms were usually out when we got up, but I feel like it made transitioning out of swaddles pretty easy and don’t regret getting them.  

Everybody told us us to take everything from the hospital, but we didn’t.  I didn’t feel like I needed all that stuff and ended up throwing away a lot of the stuff we did bring home. They did bring me a too small belly binder after my c-section so I got 2, which was great because the bigger one was too big not too long after I got home.  If you have a c-section, planned or not, ask for a belly binder.  They don’t always give you one if you don’t ask and it makes moving around while you’re healing much less painful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @oaklandava I second both of those!  We EPed and would heat up water in a coffee cup in the microwave and plop the bottle in for a min to warm it up.  Also, I'm convinced that DD was on the easier side bc we were fairly laid back parents.  When we did get stressed she seemed to feed off of it and it would make things worse.  Although this second kid will probably make me eat my words...

Agree with everyone on Halo swaddles!  

Work out a sleep schedule w your partner so you're not both up losing your minds with exhaustion at the same time those first few weeks.  Take different shifts.

If you plan on breast feeding or pumping make a basket with all the stuff you need so you can reach it easily.  Include snacks and drinks.    

Postpartum buy yourself some clothes in a size (or two) bigger that you fit in.  Don't try to squeeze into your pre-pregnancy clothes and let yourself feel frumpy in maternity stuff.  It helped me so much in not being hard on myself about the extra weight to have clothes that fit and make me feel slightly put together.     
  • Options
    ^^ to go along with the buying clothes bigger post partum, you can buy them now and get a little use out of them before the bump gets too big and you have to switch to maternity too. I ended up doing that last time because o felt like 10 weeks was too early for maternity (& I was still trying to hide the bump), but my regular clothes were getting too tight.
  • Options
    Newborn pajamas with the little hand covers built in are awesome!

Don't buy too much in newborn/0-3 the kids grow out of them sooooooo quickly.  All those cute little outfits you'll use but a few comfy ones because you'll feel bad putting your little newborn in something uncomfortable (or you'll snap the pic and then get them in comfy pajamas again).

Muslin blankets are awesome!! I previously had spring/summer babies in TX and those were awesome.  This will be my first "fall/winter" baby/maternity leave and I'm not looking forward to the cold weather with a newborn.  We were at the beach as soon as the babies hit 6 weeks old before lol.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Like @KFrob said, have a basket with your supplies in it if you're nursing. I kept a book in there too, to help me relax. 
    I have two pieces of advice that I wish someone had told me. 
    First, if you get baby blues that last awhile, please see your Dr! I had them really bad after my first and tried to make it work until my 6 week appt, and it was miserable. Your hormones will be going bonkers, so keep that in mind, but it should get better, not worse after a couple weeks. 
    The second, I am totally pro-breastfeeding, IF it works! With my first, I tried for about 2 months before DH said it was not worth it, and it wasn't. I tried for a month to get him to latch and eat and it was a nightmare. The next month I tried pumping and bottle feeding and we dealt with projectile puke and a very fussy baby until that fateful day when DS doused both of us and the couch! DH said no more, and DS was a happier baby after! I tried everything! I cut out different things from my diet to see if it would make a difference, and nothing helped. He did do way better with the Similac Sensitive formula, too. It was such a relief to be done that I never really felt guilty about it, and if it doesn't work for you, don't! That said, #2 baby was a pro at nursing! She latched on the first day and never looked back! 
    So that's my 2 cents
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    Ask your doctor about a prescription for a prenatal vitamin. My insurance covers the cost 100 percent and they are delivered to my doorstep for free every 30 days. I didn't know about this the first time. 

Don't buy too many newborn sized diapers, we had a ten pound baby and had to return all newborn sized diapers to the store, but also good to know you can exchange diapers at Target without a receipt.

• Options
    Bring several sizes of baby clothes to the hospital. Our DD’s head was too big to get newborn clothes on her. Thankfully we brought a 3 month outfit too.
  • Options
    Put snacks and drinks around the house next to any place you might sit. I can’t even count how many times I was suddenly trapped under a sleeping baby or started nursing and realized I was thirsty/hungry.

Plus 1 for registering for things you won’t need right away. It was really nice not having to make any huge purchases for the first year since things like the exersaucer and high chair were already purchased and waiting for us to use.

Also agree with taking everything from the hospital. And make sure you have large pads in supply at your house. 
  • Options
    Yes yes yes to the Velcro swaddles. They’re cheap and so easy to use.

Don’t hesitate to see a lactation consultant if you think anything’s wrong. Hell, go see one even if you think everything’s totally fine! I waited a couple of weeks because I thought everything was going ok, that it was just hard. Nope. I didn’t produce enough milk, so we supplemented with formula. He started off super small, probably because of that delay, and while he’s totally fine now (and got up to weight just fine after the formula), I always felt guilty about that. 

Start getting out with the baby early. Take him to lunch, the store... it seems super daunting at first but (1) getting out saved my sanity big time, and (2) he got used to it really quickly. 

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, and don’t feel like you’re a crap mom because you can’t “do it all”. I still call my MIL, begging for her to come stay with us a bit so I can have a hand, and DS is 15 months old, haha. 
  • Options
    Oh another one. Once you run out of those gigantic hospital pads/underwear after delivery, if you’re not healed just switch to depends. Disposable underwear & gigantic pad in one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited March 2018
    +1 to depends.

I’ll also add, if breastfeeding just isn’t working out, don’t beat yourself up. Formula is totally fine. We ended up calling it a day on bf at Day 10 when my milk never came in. Took so much pressure off.

+1 to checking that insurance might cover your prenatal 100%! Mine was during my first pregnancy so I only bought enough to get me to the first OB appt. next week.
  • Options
    I just want to say thank you all for this advice! I am definitely taking notes and making lists. All of this is so helpful. As a FTM I am so excited and nervous and it definitely helps having some moms with experience share your experiences with us!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    @hellopartyof5 Yes! I took a bunch of those too. Put them on my bed because I was terrified I’d bleed every, even though it wasn’t an issue. At least they soaked up some of the postpartum night sweats.  :D
    @tinattt23 actually this is a fantastic idea for once we're huge and nervous of our water breaking in bed!!!! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    I swear by the auto-rocking rock 'n play. We didn't have it for our first, but our second slept in that until she could roll over. It was worth every freaking penny. It's especially helpful for reflux babies because it keeps them slightly elevated, and the fact that I can set it to rock for something like 5 hours on its own always guaranteed me at least one good stretch of sleep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thought of another one. Check with your insurance if they cover free breast pumps. I was just about to pull the trigger and buy one when someone told me about this, and I ended up getting one for free instead. 
  • Options
    eireyeseireyes member
    edited March 2018
    tinattt23 said:
    @tinattt23 actually this is a fantastic idea for once we're huge and nervous of our water breaking in bed!!!! 
    Puppy pads are great for this as well. They're cheap, big, and work like a charm.

• Options
    I got prenatals super cheap through prescription BUT I switched pharmacies and I got different ones and frre. After much calling and online research neither of the prescription ones had DHA in them! Now I need to figure out if I am going with an OTC prenatal with everything or use the prescription and supplement with DHA.

What to do about pre-pregnancy clothes?? I know it will be at least a year (probably much longer) before I have a chance of things fitting again. Do you pack clothes away? Get rid of them and just get new/used stuff that fits when/as you need it? I know I have some tops that will work through at least part of pregnancy as they are stretchy and I won't care about them showing off my belly as it will be baby and not just fat. Ready to purge my closet but don't want to kick myself for getting rid of stuff either. What is a FTM to do! 
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth I'm actually going through my closet this weekend and packing up my regular clothes for the basement. I figure they'll be down there for about a year...hopefully.
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth - I went through my closet the week after I got my BFP and got rid of anything that didn’t fit or I hadn’t worn in a while.  I am not packing anything away, because I know that once I do, I’ll never wear it again!  I’ll probably pack away some of my t-shirts and seasonal clothing because I (usually) remember to pull that stuff out, but my professional clothes?  Once out of site, forever out of mind.  
  • Options
    I decided to get rid of some and pack some others away.
  • Options
    @knottieamusements My stuff all stayed in my closet. I wore a lot of it pretty far through pregnancy. Anything long/flowy worked for a decent amount of time. Then post-baby it was hit and miss what fit again. It’s been on my to do list to clean out the things that are just never going to fit again (my ribs seriously expanded for good). 
  • Options
    Get the saline drops to go with the blue nose sucker that you get at the hospital.. My son had tons of boogers when he was tiny and just using the sucker it doesnt work as well.

Get a humidifer it helped with the dry air during the winter time.

Make meals for yourself and take time to try and shower.... I hardly ever ate because I was so worried about this little tiny baby that I didnt feel as good as I could have 

Use the size 1 diaper if your baby is 8 pounds do not use newborn.. We figured it out after like 2 weeks of him constantly peeing out of the diaper and changing his clothes like 5 times a day. We thought it was sweat lol
  • Options
    Oh another is I had the worst night sweats after having my son October 2017. I sweat the whole bed every night for like a week my boyfriend would be so grossed out. Literally the whole bed would be soaked.

And PPD and the baby blues are real! I missed out on wonderful times with my newborn because I was so down and wanted to sleep and irritated at the baby sometimes. Go to the doctor I never did and now because I'm pregnant again my hormones are back to happy lol
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Nose suckers don’t work all that well.  I never got one (because I hadn’t heard about it until I didn’t need it anymore), but lots of moms swear by the nose frida

Edit to add - I was back in some of my prepregnancy clothes by 3 months pp (shirts mostly), so I plan to just leave it all in my closet. (Don’t worry, I’m not one of those bounce back immediately ladies - the clothes definitely didn’t fit the same, but I could get them on and wear them in public without looking ridiculous.)
  • Options
    On another thing I read, when you leave from the hospital after baby is born, you will be about the same size as when you're 6 months pregnant. That helped me pick out what to wear home!
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    @legalmamanyc - At least two of us, and provide a lot more!