October 2018 Moms

Advice for First Time Moms (March)

2»

Re: Advice for First Time Moms (March)

• So many good ideas in this thread! It’s taking me back.

If you have a shower save all the gift receipts and don’t feel bad about returning stuff even if you registered for it. I returned half of my registry because people bought stuff off the registry and i had so many blankets and 0-3 month clothes. 
  • Ugh @knottieamusements thanks for redirecting back to this thread. Honestly forgot this one was here. My brain has been epically bad lately.
  • Loading the player...
  • @chopchop25 - No worries.  I only remembered it because of why we decided to start it.   B)  It had also dropped back a page...
  • If you're not doing classes (or your classes don't cover a tour of the ob) Call the L&D ward and ask to set up a tour. We learned a lot, (like that our hospital is a baby friendly hospital and does NOT give out binkys or really condone there use until after 6-8 weeks.) and where able to ask about policies etc that we wanted for our birth/baby. They also gave us a nice folder full of stuff (including some cool freebie stuff).

Along with this ^ ask what things they provide for you, for baby and if they have any special meal plans etc for spouses (for example, our hospital gives a free meal per day for spouse or support person that is with you). There was also many things that I could have asked for earlier, and didn't find out until a more experienced nurse/lactation consultant came on duty (lanolin, a nursing shield and these awesome gel pads for nursing was a big one). Also many mommy/baby floors have a little "pantry" area for Moms, that has all kinds of snacks, drinks, coffee etc that you can get between meals. Use that to your convenience.

Ask for (more) dermaplast. (If you need it) Stock up on this to go home. I used it longer than I imagined I would need to. 

They will encourage you to walk, do so. Short bursts of walking will actually make you feel better, and keep you from getting stiff. 

Take (or have someone take) and document as much of the early days as possible. You will be exhausted, and it's nice to look back on pictures you may have not thought to take or things written in detail that you had forgotten in the sleepless beginning.

Gas drops. We got them at our baby shower, and I was SO thankful (later)! I never imagined those would be as important as they were around week 2.

Pacifiers are similar to bottles, in don't buy a bunch before hand. My husband was convinced we would need them and bought like 4 kinds (they didn't want us to use them at the hospital) and DS hated all the ones we bought. (Although I kept them and he chewed on them while teething.) And would only take pumped milk from a munchkin latch bottle. 
  • @prheet I suggest making a registry. Target will walk you through everything you could possibly need. Also, there is no right or wrong answer as to what or when to buy.

Tagging you here since we want the other thread to die.