October 2018 Moms

Day Care

I’m not sure if I’m a braincase or a control freak, but I’m already trying to figure out daycare. I’m not sure if I’m doing this too early, but I am freaking out about costs and budgeting. For those of you who went or are planning to go the daycare route:

1) When did you start looking into it?  Is it better to start sooner, or closer to the due date?

2) Do more expensive daycares actually provide a better service, or are you paying a premium for reputation?

3) How do you decide between a home-based daycare and a daycare center?

4) Other thoughts?

Re: Day Care

• I’m not sure about the right answer to all of your questions as I’m sure it varies greatly by where you live in terms of quality of options - but it’s never too early to start looking! I know in some areas you are already behind the curb at only a couple months pregnant
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • In Canada the government just passed a law that gives us option to take either a year paid maternity leave or 18 months but paid the same amount as a year spread out. Since daycare is like another mortgage her in Toronto ($1500-$2200/month) I have decided I will he taking the 18 months off. We only get paid up to a maximum of our salary and it's no where what I make but I feel like it's more worth it than paying most of my wages to a daycare to raise our kid. 

I don't know how you ladies in the USA do it with most of you having to go back to work at 12 weeks. Just doesn't seem fair. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • In my city wait lists are 6 months to two years! Get a feel for what it's like in your city to see when you should get on wait list. We went for a daycare run through a church because they tend to be cheaper and we're on a budget. It's not super fancy but we're loving it for our two year old, we really agreed with their mission statement and everyone there is just wonderful. 
  • Good to start thinking about it and identifying your options early! There are sometimes  wait lists to contend with so finding what you want earlier is a good thing. With DS we opted for a home daycare that was recommended by a coworker, and is relatively affordable.  They are great, do a lot with the kids, and DS loves “school.” My girlfriends who pay a premium at larger day cares like getting daily reports on their kids activities and photos.  And they have a more formal, regular daily schedule. But they complain about cost - and high fees for late pick up!  I’m spoiled by flexible providers who don’t charge late and it makes life A LOT less stressful.
  • I live in bumblefu** Michigan, and when we started looking at about 20 weeks pregnant two daycares were already wait-listing.  In the US, your company might offer an FSA account to help with payments (tax free up to $5000).  We looked at probably a dozen, and chose a “big name” center daycare.  I liked that it was very secure, and there are video cameras, and they provide meals.  My two personal reasons were 1.  A big center won’t close because of illness, weather, vacation, etc bc they have the staff.  2.  I like that they switch rooms every 6 months.
    3. There was a local high profile case about sexual assault in an in home daycare, and it just freaked me out too much.

i know many people that are VERY happy with in home daycare, so I recommend checking out as many as possible!
  • *lurking from September* 
    Depending on where you live, wait lists can be really long. I would encourage you to get on 3-4 lists ASAP.  I got on lists for three local daycares between 8-12 weeks and still didn’t have a guaranteed spot until the week before I had to return to work from FMLA. Your area might not be as constricted in infant spaces, but it won’t hurt for you to call around and see what is typical for local waitlists. Good luck! 
  • 1) When did you start looking into it?  Is it better to start sooner, or closer to the due date?
    I started researching months before I got pregnant just to get pricing which seems to be about $200-250 a week.
    2) Do more expensive daycares actually provide a better service, or are you paying a premium for reputation?
    From what I've learned in my area, the more expensive ones have been around long enough to have built up a good reputation so they can charge more. 

I didn't find much for day care centers in my area so I will probably just be going with a home day care. 

4) Other thoughts?
    No I just cringe at the cost of day care, it's the reason I waited to long to get pregnant. 
  • ***lurker***

I’m going to stand up for in-home providers. My DD is in an in-home and has been since we started her around six months. Our provider is absolutely amazing and her entire family (husband and two kids in 20s) are an extension of our family. I found her by accident and one of my moms colleagues (school counselors) sent her daughters and had glowing recommendations. I work with sex offenders for a living, so trust me when I saw that my antenna is up, probably more so than the average person. It’s been amazing for us—the effort she puts into these kids is amazing. She considers us family too. Don’t nix an in-home just because of one or two bad ones. See what works for your family and do your homework. 

I worked in multiple centers through HS and college and decided that they weren’t for me to send our kids(s). We deal with the fact that my provider takes vacation days, but we have flexibility with our jobs and backup care from my mom. 

Ok, back into lurking mode :) 
  • I think when it comes to daycares keep an open mind. Go see everything you think you want and everything you don't. DS1 started at a daycare center and it was a horrible fit. Moved to an in home center that wasn't that great either. 3rd time for a smaller in home certified daycare and we couldn't be more in love. DS2 happily runs in to see his Miss Holly. She does weekly lessons and lots of play based learning. You have to find what works for you and your future babe  <3
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I started looking by about 20 weeks. Many daycares in our area were already wait listed. 

I was never comfortable with a home daycare and stuck with a large center. I love it there. She moves classes every 6 months. Every day they go to the playground twice a day, she has art time, nap time, story time. They have music classes and even did baby yoga! She loves her teachers and she learns SO MUCH there. We paid about 1200 a month while she was an infant it it went down to 1050 when she turned 1
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Opposite side of the coin here. We’ve had our kids in at home centres, and big daycares. The two big centres we’ve had bad experiences (including significant unexplained bruises on our then 16 month old twins!), and have had lovely experiences with dayhomes. Check a bunch of places out, ask for references, and pay attention to your gut!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ashin121ashin121 member
    edited February 2018

I'm a STM. I have a son in daycare since he was 11 weeks old. I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan 

1) When did you start looking into it?  Is it better to start sooner, or closer to the due date? I started making appointments to do daycare tours where I asked a ton of questions and got a feel of the director and teachers when I was 11 weeks pregnant with my son. I would have done it sooner but I had a m/c prior and wanted to be sure prior to doing the tours.  I put myself on the waitlist for 5 daycares and I was only able to get into one of them by the time I needed my son to start.  I would start no later than 12 weeks if you're serious about daycare. especially if you want your top choice. I was able to get into my top choice because I had a lot of friends who had their kids at that daycare and they knew we worked right across the street so they said they would put stars on our name because they knew we were serious. However, I was like number 10 on the list. so I got lucky

From my experience, the expensive ones are typically the ones that are accredited nationally. They have tighter security and more background checks on the teachers and directors.  In Ann Arbor, Michigan all the accredited daycares are $1500-2000 a month. Plus majority either include diapers, food or something. mine includes food, milk, diapers and wipes.  they also have an app and send us a daily log of everything that happens to him from diaper changes, activities, storytime, nap, snacks, meals, pictures, videos. I LOOOVVEE it. When I miss him, I ask for a picture and they send it right away. They have lesson plans and write about what they taught that day --- like ABCs, colors, counting. they send pictures of the art/crafts of they day. they do music class and yoga. it's pretty awesome. I can say, his vocab and talking is way more advance than my other friend's kids.

3) How do you decide between a home-based daycare and a daycare center? I never looked at home-based daycare. When I was in residency, a technician I worked with got a phone call from the home daycare owner her daughter used to go to for the first 4 years of her life.  The daycare owner was a grandma. She called stating that a lawyer was going to contact her soon because they discovered while her daughter was at the home daycare, her grandson who used to come to her house once in a while was molesting the babies.  This freaked me out. I swore to myself to never do home daycare. I'm sure there's great ones out there but I can't take the risk.

4) Other thoughts?

interview a  bunch of places and you'll get a gut feeling of which one you like and trust.

hth

• @ashin121 do you mind me asking where you go? I'm downriver area and work in the Novi area. I'm curious if they might have locations near me.
  • @ashin121- that in home center abuse case is the same one that influenced my decision!  I’m sure situations like that one are so rare, but it definitely affected my decision 
  • Oh my goodness. I'm so glad someone brought this up. I need to get on this!
  • Hey all!  Just wanted to let you all know that I appreciate your comments, even if I’m not actively participating in the post.  Even though there is a huge difference between finding daycare in Manhattan vs Salina, KS vs Canada, your experiences are super helpful- especially for those of us who have no clue where to start. 
  • @ashin121 do you mind me asking where you go? I'm downriver area and work in the Novi area. I'm curious if they might have locations near me.
    @sammierose464 hi! I go to childtime on Plymouth rd. I know the price varies from City to city. My friend's son goes to the one in Canton and hers is like ~$200 cheaper a month compared to Ann arbor childtime. I pay ~$1500-1850 a month depending on how many weeks there are in the month.  I love mine. They are very accomdating to his food allergies too.  
  • @jengibre_zorro right?! So so so scary! My technician was devastated!!!!!!! I felt so mortified for her too.
  • @ashin121 that is terrifying. I am so sorry the technician had to go through that - what a nightmare!
  • With our son we started looking about 6 months before DD. And we had 26 weeks mat leave. So we started pretty early. We found the perfect place right before DD. It was the least expensive place that we looked at, but that’s not why we picked it. It just had the right “feel”. We walked in and just knew. 

I dont know that price is a huge deal as long as you’re willing to make concessions. His old place didn’t provide diapers or food.  Like the place that we’re moving him to and that this baby will be at is expensive, but it includes snacks and lunches and diapers for the babies. Which is nice. I am always late for work because of his dang lunches and trying to scrape together something healthy. Now I will just be dropping him off. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @ashin121 I work in Ann Arbor too!

Our daycare is kind of a mix of in-home and a center. The owner actually has 3 locations, but they’re all in our town. The one DD goes to is out of her house, but it is sectioned off so it’s separate from the rest of her home and only accessible with a code or key. I like it because they don’t use much technology, the kids play outside every day, and learn how to take care of farm animals. The downside is I don’t get photos of her throughout the day which I would love. But their family has been in the same town for generations and have lived in the same house for the whole time as well. It costs $210/wk and they supply the milk & meals.
  • 1) When did you start looking into it?  Is it better to start sooner, or closer to the due date? I would definitely start sooner rather than later. Infant spots are hard to find depending on where you live. 

2) Do more expensive daycares actually provide a better service, or are you paying a premium for reputation? I think that’s just dependant on each center. They all have different philosophies and a center can really be impacted by the staff that runs it. 

3) How do you decide between a home-based daycare and a daycare center? Visit and interview. In home was the right choice for us because the babies interact with the older kids. In a center I don’t think infants get as much stimulation. 

4) Other thoughts? WE LOVE OUR IN HOME! This women has literally done a better job raising my child then I could. She teaches him things way before I would have thought to try. She is just an all around good person and she takes all of her daycare kids on as family.
  • **I'm lurking here while impatiently waiting for the November BMB to open up...hope that's okay!**

1) When did you start looking into it?  Is it better to start sooner, or closer to the due date? I agree that it's better to start looking as soon as possible. If you wait until closer to the due date, you may not be able to find a spot at the daycare you prefer.

2) Do more expensive daycares actually provide a better service, or are you paying a premium for reputation? I think it kind of depends. I only have experience with one daycare that my daughter has been in since she was 10 weeks old, but there are a lot of really expensive daycares in our area. Some of them probably have great curriculum for teaching that might justify the high cost. We got really lucky with our daycare. It's less expensive than some in our area, and it's on the smaller side, so I've always been so happy with the attention my daughter receives. 

3) How do you decide between a home-based daycare and a daycare center? At first I wanted to look into in-home daycare, and I know several people who just love their in-home providers. But for me, the idea of checking out several daycares and not being sure of their quality seemed really daunting. If I had friends that recommended an in-home that they loved, I would have probably done it, but I don't know anyone in my immediate area that has their kids in a home-based daycare, so we felt much more comfortable with a center.

4) Other thoughts? I didn't see anyone else mention this and I found it really helpful when trying to choose a center: there are tons of lists of questions online to ask daycares when you interview them/tour the facilities. Definitely bring lists of questions with you so you know what to ask. I had no idea what to ask and there were tons of questions I would have never thought of that are really important. For example: we found a cheaper center we were tempted to use, but when I asked about their sick policy they didn't have an established answer and it made me nervous, so we decided we weren't as comfortable with that one. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Ahhh! So glad you are lurking and here @offtoneverland!
  • @knottieamusements I posted a short reply on another thread where you posted but here are my thoughts:

with DS I was fortunate enough to have my mom watch him for the first 12 months. I told her I would put him in daycare at 12 months. When he turned 9 months I started looking and everywhere I looked did not have openings until he was 14 months. The earliest I could get in anywhere was if I was on a 6 month waiting list.

DS goes to an Early Learning Academy here in Atlanta that is ran by a national non profit organization. The monthly tuition for his age group (he will be 2 in April) is $1089. That was considered LOW in Atlanta. We toured several places and the prices ranged from ~$900 to $3000 per month. As the children get older the tuition typically decreases. As a lot of people have indicated the prices are highly dependent upon your area and the demand. I find that the more expensive places have better facilities and technology. For example, my son does not have cameras in his class. However, rather than increase tuition we are trying to raise money by fundraising to do this. 

Here is how I decided:

The teachers. Some of the more expensive places didn’t even allow me to speak to the teachers. Other places the teachers were on their cell phones while I was touring. That was a huge turn off. When I toured our place, the teachers were SO sweet and many of them had been there for 10+ years. My gut said, these teachers are going to take care of my kid and show him love. 

Pre-K program. My son will be able to graduate to the Pre-K program when he’s 4. Georgia has a lottery funded program where Pre-K is free. Like daycare, there are waitlists for these but since my son is already enrolled he can get in.

Re: in home. My friends who have done it, love it!

as soon as I have the green light on a healthy US and I’m past 12 weeks I’m putting my name on the wait list. sorry for the long post I just wish my mama friends would have told me this stuff...

• I don't have DS in day care yet, but was looking into it when he was 8 months old. At that point, there was at least a one year wait to get him in. That said, I'd start looking now, especially if you'll need day care soon after the birth. We finally got him in to start right after he turns 2, and when we met with the owner of the day care, he said that if we were planning on having other kids, that we could get on the waiting list even before the kid is conceived and have priority because we already have a kid in the school. Kinda cool. 

As far as what type of day care to go with, go visit and get a feeling for what the place is like. The place we decided upon? I just had a really good vibe - it felt right. We could've chosen a cheaper place with an open spot now instead of 10 months from now, and I'm sure that other place would've been fine, but it just didn't feel right, you know? 
  • @ashin121 I work in Ann Arbor too!

Our daycare is kind of a mix of in-home and a center. The owner actually has 3 locations, but they’re all in our town. The one DD goes to is out of her house, but it is sectioned off so it’s separate from the rest of her home and only accessible with a code or key. I like it because they don’t use much technology, the kids play outside every day, and learn how to take care of farm animals. The downside is I don’t get photos of her throughout the day which I would love. But their family has been in the same town for generations and have lived in the same house for the whole time as well. It costs $210/wk and they supply the milk & meals.
    That's awesome! I heard of one that teaches kids how to garden and the lunch that is prepared is from the garden too. They also teach how to take care of animals. I wonder if that's the same one you go to. Heard really good things about it

I just looked at University of Michigan hospital affiliated ones since my husband and I work there. Since they were full to the max on wait list I started looking at Gretchen house and childtime. It's pretty daunting looking for child care so I narrowed it to just the big centers
  • @ashleymarie512 Thanks for talking about home daycares. One thing that makes me nervous is that I have looked at my state registry and found less than 5 registered/certified home daycares in my area (I live in a midsize U.S.) city. Is your home daycare registered/certified? Also, did you have background checks done on everyone in the home (spouse, any other adults around)?

I'm just asking because these are my concerns with home daycares. Unfortunately, I experienced sexual abuse as a child (not at a home daycare) and so I have a lot of concerns. A home daycare not being registered/certified/inspected for safety in the home also concerns me. 
  • @jaylii I know you didn’t ask me, but my in-home daycare is registered and certified. I absolutely would not send me child to an illegitimate daycare. Everytime I read a story about a daycare death, it’s always an unlicensed daycare. 
  • I'm a stay at home mom now, but I was a Pre-K teacher for 14 years prior to becoming a mom, so I've seen a lot. Here's what I've learned:

1. Ask about the staff retention rate. If they have a hard time keeping teachers, there's probably a good reason why. I worked for a Goddard School (which is considered high end) and I wouldn't send a goldfish to the location I worked at. In the two years I worked there, they went through 42 staff members. It was awful.

2. Ask to see their inspection reports. In PA you can actually view the inspection history of any licensed center online. I actually started checking the inspection reports of centers I applied to, and I refused a position once based on what I found.

3. Video monitoring of classrooms is great.  Video + audio is amazing. I've seen a teacher escorted off the premises for "slamming" a toddler on the floor for a timeout. The video evidence they had was irrefutable and this woman will never be able to work with children again.

4. Find out if you can drop in unannounced to check on your child. If they say no, ask why. Most centers are fine with this.

5. Home based daycares scare me a bit because *trigger warning*

About a year ago there was a home center about 30 minutes from my house that had an infant pass away in their care on the child's very first day of daycare. It turns out that the infant was placed on its stomach to sleep in a room by itself, which was basically a walk in closet. This center was licensed.

• Do they pick up at local school for after school care? What are their extras? Do they spend a lot on art supplies? Does it smell clean? 1) When did you start looking into it?  Is it better to start sooner, or closer to the due date?
    Depends on how long the wait list is. Some are 2 years and some don't have a list. Start looking now. 

Not always. Tour as many as you can. Ask them about curriculum for ages 2-4. 

I went with my gut. I know people who love their home based day cares and sitters who come to their house. For me is was about accountability. My daughter's day care has closed cameras in all rooms, open window cut-outs so you can't block sound, and about 40 other teachers there to make sure they are treating my kid right. I just can't have 1-2 people that are responsible for my kid's welfare. Everyone has bad days and I don't want it to happen to my kid at home alone with only 1 person looking at them. No thanks. 

4) Other thoughts?
    Do they pick up at local school for after school care? What are their extras? Do they spend a lot on art supplies? Does it smell clean? Does the staff seem to like the kids? Is there a lot of yelling? What is the nutrition like? What type of lunch/snacks are served? 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• @krgriffin26 Thank you for the information! I hadn't thought of inspection reports. I'm in Ohio and just found inspection reports online as well. I've only looked a little bit so far, but a daycare in our town that everyone says is the best, didn't fully pass their inspection this past year. They corrected issues to pass, but the things they were cited on are surprising and don't seem acceptable. Issues were things like unsafe crib sleep environments and staff members with outdated criminal background checks.
  • @jaylii Ours isn’t registered, no. In Iowa, the people who are registered are only required to accept state assistance and have to provide meals that meet a certain criteria. Inspections are announced too, which kind of defeats the purpose to me. When I went to interview my provider, I had a list of questions—I wanted to have a registered provider that didn’t transport my baby. Turns out she’s not registered and also transports. Her willingness to transport is going to be a godsend when my daughter starts preschool next year. When we interviewed her, her husband sat in with us and answered questions with us and they showed us their entire house. They both maintain First Aid/CPR certifications too. We both had such a great feeling about them that we went for it. I’ve seen abuse situations happen in centers and registered in homes too, being registered isn’t going to stop something from happening, unfortunately. I work in corrections, so I did a brief background check on the family members, yes. Also, like I said, I knew multiple families that sent kids/grandkids there, so was comfortable with their recommendations. 

I hate how in-homes get such a bad wrap because of a handful of shitty people. Our provider treats us all like family, has an open door/pop-in  policy, and has taught my daughter more than I could have being a working mom. She loves it there and cries at pickup and never drop off. I worked in centers and that was what solidified me not wanting to send my child(ren) to one. Personal preference...just don’t assume that all abuse happens at in-homes, because it can happen in centers too. 

• So, I literally just started calling day care centers today, and the first one told me they had a year long waiting list and I nearly freaked.  But then I realized I’m not actually that far behind the ball.  Seven months more maternity, three months of leave, leaves me two months of slack.  

Not to mention that only two of the four places I called definitely had waitlists. The others said they expected that they may have openings around that time frame. 

So, more research and tours, and yada yada. 

Strangely- only one person congratulated me on my pregnancy.  
  • @ashleymarie512 I could agree more. Our in home is amazing. They treat us like family. Treat our child like family. It’s spotless. She feeds them healthy food. She does activities with them. She makes the child treat each other kindly. I have never had a complaint. 

• @cdepperschmidt I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with yours too! I agree—I literally have no complaints about her. I could go on and on about all the stuff she does with the kids, but I’d be here forever ;) The birthday parties she throws for each child put me to shame! We joke that she can’t possibly make money off of us because of the toys she buys for the house, activities they do, parties she throws, etc. Not to mention she’s taught them such great things that she’ll be ahead of the kids in preschool next year because she works so consistently with them. 
  • DH mentioned yesterday that he'd feel comfortable using the same in-home he used with my bonus son. Before starting school, he would go 1 day a week (his nana on mom's side watched him the other days).

I know she's good, and we have friend who use her too. However, she was a coworker of my husband's ex wife and they are still on good terms. I just feel weird about the situation, even though I shouldn't. I worry that she'll be bitchy to me because I'm the "new wife". 
  • Has anyone come across needing a deposit to be put on the wait list? I would like to get on as many wait lists as I can but one asked for a $200 non refundable deposit which I think is bull.