October 2018 Moms

Day Care

Re: Day Care

• @nayyohme we had a $75 'application fee' - which is essentially the same as a non-refundable deposit for wait list bc this place always has a wait and money isn't refunded.
  • @nayyohme Yep, all of the daycares by me (Houston-not suburbs of Houston) require a deposit around $150. The daycare at my work has a deposit but it's refundable within 2 years. The deposit is so they only get seriously interested people and they don't have ridiculously huge wait lists.

My husband was FREAKING OUT the last 2 weeks about daycare (I'm 11 weeks today) because all of the daycares by our house have a 1.5-2 year waiting list, or get this, a WAIT LIST for the wait list!! (to avoid paying a deposit for a spot you'll never get, I suppose that's nice of them...think that was the $1700/month place). We currently are on a wait list for one by our house that may have an opening next year when they build the new building (currently in the 1-2 year wait time frame, $1400 a month-no diapers, no food), and another one that isn't as good (or expensive-only like $1000 a month, couldn't really see any structured daily/lesson plans) but we'd be okay with in a pinch if nothing else works out quicker. Our top choice right now is my work day care-at least it's convenient for me, very much on the opposite end of town for H- that may have a spot for us only because Hurricane Harvey flooded our campus back in August and the daycare just reopened a month ago, so they are pretty empty right now since everyone left in the interim. The price for that one is around $1250 a month, and includes diapers and food!!

Since I'm going to be that mom whose kid can't eat this and that (celiac/autoimmune disease runs in my family, so high chance of the kid getting something, so gluten free is an absolute must), it was important to me to be able to have good insight into what food they serve and how the facility handles food allergies/intolerances. Most daycares I've found are nut free, which is good to know because my GF substitutes are nut based, so I wouldn't want to endanger someone else's kid for the sake of my own, and vice versa.  Also, one plus for my work daycare is that I can visit anytime and they have a room I can nurse in at the daycare, if I chose not to pump that day.

FTM here, so we are still doing lots of research, and while we were open to a nanny, the price point ($20/hr) wasn't realistic for us since we'd need 11+ hours a day, and the convenience of a nanny couldn't overshadow the huge price difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • nayyohme said:
    Has anyone come across needing a deposit to be put on the wait list? I would like to get on as many wait lists as I can but one asked for a $200 non refundable deposit which I think is bull.
    Yup- I’ve come across that.  I don’t like it either- especially since it doesn’t guarantee me a place. 

That said, the day care I am most strongly considering will guarantee a place for me for $75 (non-refundable) plus first week’s tuition.  The tuition is refundable if I cancel with adequate notice (I think 2 weeks).
  • Deposits and all that stuff are par for the course here in Massachusetts but it gets applied to actual tuition later typically.
  • I think I found the place I want, it's 5 minutes from my house. I'm waiting to hear back price and availability for January. It's a small place, not in home, but not a huge facility. A friend has had her two kids there and loves it. 
  • kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited March 2018
    Ok, what would ya'll do?

We need daycare for 2 or 3 days a week. The reason for 2 or 3 is that I have a day off during the week and my mom wants to watch the kid for 1 or 2 days a week. My mom is retired and has nothing else to do and the moment I told her I was pregnant she said 'omg I get to watch a baby!', so she volunteered (as opposed to me asking) and is very excited about it, however, I do not want to impose on her at all. She lives 25 minutes from me.

My day off is Wednesday.

Daycare options:

1) the fancy place. It has cameras that you can log onto as a parent and watch your kids at all times (I wouldn't use that, but it does add a level of accountability), it has an app that lets you know when your kid eats, how much, what etc.., they do art classes and music classes and baby yoga- its pretty boujee. 2 days per week is 1350/month- thats Tuesday/Thursday, which means my mom watches the kid M and F, but also may have to pick my kid up on Tuesday nights since daycare closes at 6 and I work until 7. 3 days a week is 1850/month, which means my mom watches the kid Tuesday and Thursday, and I could always drop the kid off for an hour or so on my days off (or more if needed) to run errands, sleep, etc...

2) The less fancy place. Staff has all worked there from 5-30 years but is definitely less fancy. Less structured learning time, a bit less outside time, the building and toys are a bit older/more loved etc... They don't do part time, they only do full time (although you obviously don't have to, you can come and go as you please). Its 1850 a month.

Obviously I need to talk to my mom, but unless she is enthusiastically excited about watching twice a week and picking up one night, do I pick the 3 day fancy place, or have the option of full time but at the other place? I mean, having a back up in case my mom is ever sick or wants to go on a vacation or my work schedule changes could be nice. But how often will that happen, and I am sure my MIL would be happy to watch the kid occasionally if she was needed. I believe both will give excellent care when it comes to health, safety and happiness- I should say that part. If I thought one place was safer for better run, there would be no question. 
  • Ouch, that first place is so pricey! I’m a big proponent of daycare and love “less fancy” places myself, but if your mom really wants to watch your baby then I’d do the first place for 3 days a week. I’d take one day (you) and give her the other, so any time One if you needs a day off, the other person only has two days. I wouldn’t go down to 2 days Bc there would be less flexibility when things happen - and they will!
  • Also to add, this is not your problem, but if you take a five day place and only use 3 days, you are precluding someone from that spot who might really need it. So if you really won’t ever use 5 days, I’d go with the first place.
  • kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited March 2018
    @HoosOnFirst Yea, the northeast is expensive. If I did the 5 day place I would use it 4 days a week and have my mom only come once a week, so I would use it. They also said they do have some people who only use it 3 or 4 days, so I don't/won't feel bad.

ETA: If I did 3 day, my mom would still have to watch 2 days as my day off is Wednesday and thats one of the 3 days for daycare. So regardless, my mom would have to agree to two.
  • One of the things I discovered about some of the local daycare centers is that they expect parents to be involved after hours.  (One of the more expensive places nearby actually expects parents to do fundraising!)  For me, that is a big consideration as I am very protective of my free time.  If you haven’t asked, you might check if you think that may be important. 

Beyond that, if you don’t have a gut feeling about one over the other, I would go with the location that gives you most flexibility for when the unexpected happens.  
  • kiwi2628 said:
    @HoosOnFirst Yea, the northeast is expensive. If I did the 5 day place I would use it 4 days a week and have my mom only come once a week, so I would use it. They also said they do have some people who only use it 3 or 4 days, so I don't/won't feel bad.
    I'm right outside of Boston - I hear ya on the pricetag! It's so crazy. I agree with everyone else - go with what gives you the most flexibility and peace of mind.
  • @lynzev - My cat is the responsible one over my dog- if she could change diapers, she’d totally be voluntold...
  • I would start looking and budgeting now! You'll probably need to get on a few waiting lists. I'm already on the list at DS daycare for this baby. I personally would go with a center. They have enough staff to where you wouldn't be inconvenienced by someone out sick or on vacation. 
  • edited March 2018
    I put DS  in a home Daycare  (about to open my own after maternity leave). I researched the workers (both husband and wife are certified) through DCF. They were highly recommended by a group of people in the clinic I work in. Since I work on a military base, I needed a place open before 6:30. 

They have an open door policy, has camera set up so you can check in on them, has the weekly menu posted by Friday for the next week. The plus for me is that they had experience with cloth diapers and were willing to work with them when other places said no.

To add to this, my son learned to clearly say his ABC's and count to ten by 14 months. They taught him to share at a very young age and to use his manners (please, thank you, excuse me, and bless you).

Not all home daycares are bad. Not all people all bad.
  • We started at a home daycare and now are at a small center. The in-home did a wonderful job so I’ll second the opinion that individual providers can do just as good of a job as a center, and in some cases better!

We do find centers to have fewer closures overall. But for example on snow days sometimes our in home person stayed open because she could make her own decisions while a center has set rules. But she closed 3 weeks a year while our center only closed for one week a year. 

I also liked dd being in a small in-home environment when she was an infant - she was with older kids and I think it made her “reach” developmentally. But now that she’s 3 I prefer the center where she is in an age specific classroom.

All to say, they are different but one is not better or worse - it really depends on your needs.
  • I called a place close to work yesterday and it's $307/wk and includes diapers and wipes. DH was shocked at the price, until he mentioned it to a coworker who said it's pretty standard. I also know that being a Montessori the price tag will be a little higher. I'm hoping the place I want is closer to $200/wk.
  • I have only found two places. Both in home day dare. The first was in a few nice house with two large dogs ("great with kids") and the house was very well kept. Lots of books and toys and learning DVDs. She doesn't have any guaranteed availablity. It all depends if a toddler or two goes to preschool. The lady was...loopy.. couldn't find the right words for a couple things. Odd, but nice. $180/week

Second place smelled gross. Like dirty kids probably. The walls are grimy. It didn't look like any detailed cleaning had been done recently. She was super nice and prepared for the visit and had a packet of info for us. We really liked her. But it was dirty. And there were hardly any books. She's $200 a week. $200 deposit. Guaranteed date of like 2/9/19.

I'm so lost!
  • We originally had my son in a center that we liked, but we ran into a few problems with them that had us questioning our choice when he was around 6 months. At the same time we happened to find out that our neighbor two houses down watched kids in her house. Former nurse, three high school and older kids of her own. We introduced ourselves, talked to her, other neighbors and eventually switched our son when she had an opening when he was a year old. I honestly haven't looked back.

Sure there are some downsides to it - if our neighbor gets sick, daycare is closed. Her hours aren't as long as a center would be, and she occasionally needs days off to take care of herself and her family, but I love having the kids there. 

Our son did so much better once we switched him to our neighbor. Obviously it's hard to tell what a kid will do better with when they're so little, but for some kids a smaller setting is better. Other kids thrive in a bigger environment. Ultimately you chose what is best for you and adjust as (if) you need to!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh tough decision. I think two large dogs would be a no-go for me.
  • *lurking from S18*

@kiwi2628 Do you know the staff ratio in each room? Upon first glance, all the tech and app stuff sounds cool but that means one of the teachers has to leave the kids alone in order to enter data rather than interact with the children. The preschool I worked at had daily sheets we used that told parents the same thing but was much faster for teachers to manage throughout the day. Just a different perspective. 
  • pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited March 2018
    @SkilledSailor perhaps not completely relevant, but I live in Texas, and one daycare told me there's a standard ratio for all daycares in TX, so for infants it's 1:4 minimum (or 2:10, but most still keep 1:4 ratio). Maybe there's a standard where you live that you can Google?
  • Each state will have ratio requirements as far as I know. 
  • @SkilledSailor nope- all the rooms have tablets that the staff enters in info into. Also its a 1:4 ratio for infant to two.

I am thinking I will probably go for the full time day care unless MIL wants to watch the kid a day, and then I will probably go for the twice weekly. Because of my hours, I would probably have to use the extended hours program at the fancy place and that ups the cost even more, which I wouldn't have to for the 5 day a week place. I can always transfer them to the fancy place when they hit 2 or 3 and learning because a bit more structured/important
  • @jemmerjams @kiwi2628 Yes, that’s usually the ideal standard. I just wasn’t sure if they went above and beyond to accommodate for the extra lessons and tech entry. 
  • I started looking into child care the weeek after receiving my BFP. Many places in our area have wait lists that are 1.5 - 3 YEARS long! I’ve contacted several places, a couple of them multiple times, and a couple of them haven’t even contacted me back yet! We went on a tour of the place closest to our house last Friday that’s our top choice and we liked it. We’re on the wait list there but do not have a guaranteed spot for January/February. I was pleasantly surprised there was no wait list fee there as most places around here have wait lists fees. Hoping to get on additional wait lists sooner rather than later. 

So to answer OPs question, look ASAP! I’m not sure more $$ = better, as it seems to be somewhat reputation based, but then again how would one operationalize “better”? May depend on the criteria. Also, center vs home seems to be a very personal decision. Good luck! 
  • Im glad someone asked the waitlist fee/application fee question. It helped me not be surprised when my top choice told me its a $75 app fee. I"m touring next Wed, but after talking to the owner I'm so excited about it.
  • @kiwi2628 this may be an UO, but I would go FT for a few reasons. #1 your Mom may change her mind, or things may come up and you don’t want to be scrambling for emergency daycare. #2 I know Wednesday is you day off, but some Wednesday’s you may want to send your LO to daycare so you can get things done. DH and I often send DS to daycare on our day off because it’s hard to get stuff done around the house with a toddler. 
  • I contacted a day care and told her I'm looking for December since I am due in October and she said she doesn't know what her availability be by then so to check back in October. #nevermind
  • @nayyohme That may be fairly common for us unfortunately. My place said something similar- their rooms tend to turn over in August/September when the older kids go to school and then they have room open up, but they cannot guarantee anything, which is annoying AF. 
  • I guess compared to the first place I went to, she knew that she may possibly have a spot even though it was not guaranteed. She had an idea of the ages her kids would be at, and they would be at preschool age. I'm super worried about this day care thing since I am in such a small city and there aren't alot of options. 
  • I toured a center near work today, which was very nice. It's a chain facility, but this location has only been open for a year. They have two infant rooms: one for younger babies and one for once they start to walk. They have iPads in all the rooms to log feedings/changing and can post pics. They teach baby signs, have a small curriculum every month, and a little gym area. 

Next week I tour the one near my house, that's much smaller, is a stand-alone business, and family owned. They don't use the technology.

I like that I could stop in whenever I wanted if my baby was right next to work, however I know it would also be a distraction. And I'd feel guilty if I couldn't make it in. The place near work is also $100 more a week.

Although, the more I talk about it, the more I realize what I want and that this fancy place doesn't seem like it's the one.
  • Touring a place week after next. I had DS in a chain place before that cost me $115 for one day a week. I only went with it because it was purely for socialization and there were SO many kids his age. It was also right by work, so I could visit on lunch.

Now we're looking as an in-home place. $50 for one day and $40 a day for 2-5 days. The reviews on this place are amazing. Lots of educational activities, which DS needs because I'm bad at that. Depending on if I get an offer from one of the places I interviewed at this week, it could either be super convenient or a little out of my way. Would like have to have grandma drop him off and pick him up, but it would still give her a break. She watches him full time right now. I'm super excited to tour it and wish I didn't have to wait until after spring break!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• I regret complaining about a $200 deposit. I found a new place that asked for $400.
  • So I started calling for daycares today, I’m so glad I didn’t wait a couple more weeks like I was thinking. One place said they aren’t even doing a waitlist right now because they are fully booked and PAID through the end of 2019!! I would like to know who these people are who are booking and paying for childcare before they are even pregnant!?
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • It’s never too early to start looking for daycare. With our first, he was on a waiting list for 10 months, so I booked his spot when I was about 3 months pregnant. 
    I have noticed that the higher prices tend to come with more services. For example: healthier food, more activities and structure, sign language, etc. Some of those things you might not be interested in and some can be excessive amenities. 
    We decided to go with a center vs in home just for the fact that we don’t have to worry about it being closed for sick days and vacation days because they have enough staff to cover. I’m home does tend to be cheaper and a lot of people develop a strong bond with that provider since there is typically only one person. We have developed good relationships with our center daycare teachers as well. 
  • I totally showed up to tour a day care a week early like a dumba** lmao
  • When I dropped my son off at daycare today, they asked if I was still interested in an infant spot in January 2019 because if I was, they would need the deposit soon because they were filling up fast and might not have a spot in a couple weeks.  I planned on putting in the deposit next week anyway because that's when I'll be 12 weeks, so it works out.  It's crazy how fast they fill up.  Not looking forward to paying for two kids in daycare...