October 2018 Moms
Options

Day Care

124»

Re: Day Care

• Options
    MI requirement is 4:1, I was happy to hear my daycare tries to be closer to 3:1. That was huge for me.
  • Options
    All of you guys were talking about centers. i found that I could google individual licensing info for in homes as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, in MA they need to be licensed and the state website is very comprehensive and lists them all.
  • Options
    In Manhattan the cheapest daycare anywhere near close to my apt or work is $2,700 a month! And that’s at a VA hospital with a HUGE waitlist. The other places are closer to 3K a month so my MIL watches DD four days a week and my mom does one day. 

This is the biggest reason I am taking a year off of work (I’m a teacher) with this baby. I know my MIL could handle it, but I don’t want to push her over her limit etc. at first with DD I was really worried about socialization since she’d be with her grandmas all day every day, but we enrolled her in a few music, art, movement classes and All has been good. All of this to say daycare is friggin ridiculous $$$!!!!
  • Options
    I had planned on sending baby #2 to the same place DD goes, but now that we’re having twins there’s no way that we can afford it. With 11 weeks left, I’m running out of time to make a decision.
  • Options
    @estellegetty yeah that is our big fear! We actually live down the block from my retired parents in Brooklyn, so I’m really hoping they want to play a big role in child care until the kid is 2 or so. My H has free day care at work but kid has to be 3 (doesn’t make a ton of sense...) so we will need help!

I was raised in a playgroup with parents who were able to rotate work from home days and they all paid for a collective baby sitter for five kids and we would rotate houses based on which parent could be home. It seemed to work decently well. We might try to do something like that too.
  • Options
    @rc-cola wow the rotating playgroup sounds awesome and I would have totally been down with something like this! I hope your parents are able to watch your LO and you don’t have to deal with insane NYC daycare prices!