August 2018 Moms
Options

Wish I knew that: Registry/Baby Products

Hi All, 

STM any tips to share with FTM or other STM about where and what to register for, what baby products you never used or ones you used all the time? 

FTM any general registry/ do I really need this baby product questions?    

Re: Wish I knew that: Registry/Baby Products

• Options
    STMs can ask questions too. 

Personally I'm curious if other people did registries for their second, third etc pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I registered for both babies and will do another for this one.  However, it was strictly for me to keep track of what I wanted/needed and planned to purchase myself.  Plus, completion coupon.

A product I bought but ended up not being that great was that foam flower bathtub for the sink.  It seemed awesome but then I had to wring it out and let it dry after each bath and DD2 grew out of sink baths pretty quick.  I tossed it and will just use a regular baby tub in our regular tub.

• Options
    I LOVE my wipes warmer and will buy a bottle warmer this go around! I cloth wipe though so the wipes warmer is really handy.  One complaint you hear about a wipes warmer is that the bottom will end up drying out your wipes.  You can buy ever fresh pillows from prince Lionheart that prevents this.  I love em.
  • Options
    I had a registry for #2 just to track what we needed to buy and so I could get the registry gift and completion discount.  I didn't share it with anyone.  I'll probably do that again for the very few things I need.  Mainly to get a discount on the next size car seat we need for DD1 regardless, and the bed rails we'll need for DD2 when she's out of her crib.  And some replacement pump parts.
  • Options
    I will do registries for #2 because I want discounts and freebies. 
    Agree with @lalala2004 that what works for one won't for another. We had a bouncer seat, for example, used it twice, DS hated it. Other moms/kids love them. Lots of trial and error. 
    I've never heard a mom say they don't use the Rock and Play. 
    I think a white noise machine (although you can use Alexa) and a humidifier are essential. 
    On the advice of a friend, I bought cloth diaper insert/liner type things to use as spit up cloths. They are cheap, durable and absorbent! 

Question - anyone use the (I cannot think of what it is called!!!! Pregnancy brain! Argh!) thing that the baby sleeps in that sort of cocoons them and you can put it in their crib or you can use it in your bed to bedshare and not love it? I will probably end up getting it either way, but have only heard positive things from friends, never negative! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecwk we didn't have a Rock and Play lol. 

Dock A Tot? 
  • Options
    Like a few of the others, I'm registering again, but for the discounts and freebies.  The discounts always help, even if its a few dollars here and there. Amazon, Target, PBK, were all great to use for what we did last time. We also used babylist to help us register for things off of Etsy as they didn't have a baby registry option at the time.

If I could have done it over again, I would have bought a rocker/swing thing new or put it on my registry. We bought two different versions used from consignment and from a friend, and both had weird (broken) quirks about them. We gave them away for free as we knew we wanted either to just skip those this time or get a new one the 2nd time around.  

I fought having a rock n play and it wasn't until my 1st was three months old that we got one. It did help us get him down for naps during the day and I wish I had bought an auto version. This time around, we are buying two auto rocker versions.
  • Options
    Loooove this thread!

We're registering for this one (our second) but it's mostly going to be used as a checklist for us and the completion discount savings. If my family / DH's family want to buy something off the registry I'll be forever thankful but won't bring it up unless they ask.

So a few things that I didn't think of the first time around:
    The registry isn't just for items to be used when you have an infant. My ILs went off registry (thank goodness) and got me a high chair, bibs with the pocket that catches all the dropped food, and some other older-baby things that I'm forgetting right now. We were so focused on brand new baby that we didn't register for older baby things.

Use caution when registering for bottles. Your baby might not take the Tommy Tippie ones from the registry and you need to go out and buy Dr. Browns. Just go to Target or something and buy one or two of a few different brands until you know what baby will take. This is assuming that you'll be using bottles, if you don't plan to, disregard!

If you register for a diaper pail, register for lots and lots and lots of diaper pail refills. Not the cutest "oooh or aaah" worthy gift but you'll go through them so quickly. Again, if you're cloth diapering, disregard!

If you're registering for a boppy / breast friend pillow, get a backup cover. Between feeding spills, spit up and diaper blowouts those things get gross quickly!

I've got more but I'm blanking... will update later :)
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Firemanswife11 YES! Dock a tot - JFC that was driving me bananas!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My sister used a dock a total for a while, but because she couldn't get her baby out of her bed and it served as a barrier to keep her 2 yr old from kicking her.  I'm against it because it's expensive and I don't want to co sleep.  You can get them at discount off of Facebook bst pages though.
  • Options
    Can I ask a possibly dumb FTM question? :)

Where did everyone register and why? Was there a place that had a better bonus for registering there? Or had better stuff? I was going to do Amazon and Target - but was also looking at Babies R us. 
  • Options
    Oh! Really consider not buying a 4moms mommaroo thing.  I know they look awesome but your baby could HATE it.  Borrow a friends or wait until the baby is born and old enough to try and buy it from a place with a solid return policy.

Get a rocking chair you can actually sleep in, with head support.  In case you're lucky and get a colicky awful sleeper like me.
  • Options
    @hezzer78 - I did Babies R Us for my first because my SIL worked there so she could get the family a bigger discount lol. Not my first choice. This time I'm doing what you are - Amazon and Target.

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hezzer78 We registered on Baby List and also at Babies R Us.  Be careful registering at Babies R Us though, because so many are closing their doors.  Our local one is closing so I feel really bad for moms with registries there.  I know you can buy online, but it definitely changes things when you were expecting people buying off your registry to be able to buy in the store (which is why we registered there - for older people in my family who don't online shop).
  • Options
    Thing that surprised me:
    - Most places won't give you a completion coupon until after the due date you set, some dont come until a month after
    - at least at my shower i got 90% gifts and 10% money, which was totally the opposite of my wedding
    - people will mostly not look at the clothing you add and buy whatever they think is cute

As for products I second @ecwk the cloth diaper liners make THE BEST burb clothes. 

I also personally love my bottle warmer but my baby is super picky about needed the bottle to be really warm. Some don't care what temp it's at so maybe that's a wait to buy?

This time I'm getting a bottle sanitizer, hopefully one I can sanitize my pumping parts in. 

Finally you can totally register everywhere, get the free stuff and only share one of two registries with people.  
  • Options
    @ecwk I used a dock a tot for DS2 but not until he was 18 months because I was trying to get him to sleep in his own bed. It worked, kind of, but he definitely slept better when I put him in it. I will probably be getting one for this baby too (my old one is still in Texas, eye roll) but I'll probably get the larger one to begin with so I don't have to get two. Those things are expensive as hell.

I never used a wipes warmer I just warmed them up in my hands before using them, babies never seemed to mind. We got a portable bottle warmer for the car with DS1 once we switched to formula and it was pretty cool. It took a long time to heat up but it was still pretty efficient.

I registered with my second because my exSIL insisted on throwing me a sprinkle. It was nice to get some of the few items we needed for DS2 and then of course I used the completion discount. I registered at buy buy baby for DS2 and BRU and Target for DS1. This time around I'll be registering at Target strictly for the coupon, there's no way I'm allowing any kind of shower or sprinkle this time. 

Rock n Play was a necessity for DS2, mama roo was also a necessity for him. I HATED baby swings, they are enormous and take up way too much space. 

Register for the banana toothbrush thing and Sophie, those were both lifesavers when the boys were teething. 

Don't waste your money on nursery decor/curb bedding. I put a bunch of that on my registry with DS1 and my very sweet aunt bought it all for us and we rarely even used his nursery. Such a waste of money for us. 

Another thing I HATED that most love is the pack n play. Never used one for either kid. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Never used a wipe warmer either - I figured that if I am out and about I won't be able to warm the wipes so why get baby used to it?

@calimom2524
    see I didn't even know there were different sizes! So you think I could get the larger size for a newborn or would that defeat the purpose?

Anyone have recommendations for sanitizers? Especially ones that will accomodate pump parts? We used to boil my pump parts and bottles when we needed it and it got so tedious after a year...definitely looking to cut back on that work this time around! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecwk - We have the Wabi and I loooove it. Safe for breast pump parts and it does the steam and dry with one push of a button lol! It's got a ton of capacity too, I think it can handle 8 bottles at once

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2
    nice! just added it to my registry! See, this thread is so helpful! I would have spent ages trying to pick one but now there is no need! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ecwk said:
    Never used a wipe warmer either - I figured that if I am out and about I won't be able to warm the wipes so why get baby used to it?

@calimom2524
    see I didn't even know there were different sizes! So you think I could get the larger size for a newborn or would that defeat the purpose?

Anyone have recommendations for sanitizers? Especially ones that will accomodate pump parts? We used to boil my pump parts and bottles when we needed it and it got so tedious after a year...definitely looking to cut back on that work this time around! 

It probably depends on what you want to use it for. The smaller one has better edges for tummy time, the grand is HUGE so if you're planning to use it for co-sleeping it's probably not ideal, and the smaller one gives a closer fit around baby so it mimics the womb more. I got this from their website so I'm sure it's a selling point but who knows. I personally don't plan to use it for co-sleeping and even if I do it's usually just me in the king sized bed so the size of the grand wouldn't matter. It's just such a pricey item I don't want to buy two of them unless I find them on a really good FB swap deal haha. 

I used the tommee tippee or however you spell it sanitizer. I really liked it but I also sometimes just said eff it and boiled the parts. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I am doing a registry for #2 for the completion discounts like the others. It also is helping me keep track of what we need. 

We registered at Buy Buy Baby and Target. They were the most convenient for most family and friends and we were happy with both. 

I also never used a wipe wipe warmer or bottle warmer. 
    Agreed on swings, bouncers and everything similar. DS hated the bouncer and we didn’t do a swing because we were in a small condo at the time and didn’t have the space. The Rock N playnwas a life saver the first 4-5months!! 

Bottles and nursing gear - don’t go overboard. We registered for a ton of Avent bottles based on recommendation and DS hates them. BFing also didn’t work for us after the first month, so bottles, nursing pads, nursing tanks, and everything in between went to waste. I gave a lot of the little things to a friend who was EPing. 

Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• Options
    Oh I forgot my favorite thing of all...

We bought the Baby Brezza when E was about 2 months old because our POS bottle warmer gave up on us (more about that later.) If the house was on fire and the kids and DH and the dog were safe I would go back in for the Brezza. If you're planning to formula feed it is a genius little contraption.

Few things: yes, it measures the formula and dispenses it but you need to make sure it's the right amount. Read the instruction pamphlet about the dispenser wheel settings.

Buy a small kitchen scale and ever time you take the thing apart to clean it and then put it back together, make a bottle by hand and make a bottle with the Brezza and weigh each one to ensure the right amount of formula is being dispensed. You're not wasting formula because you can keep prepared formula in the fridge and use it within 24 hours.

Clean it often. The little hole that the formula comes out gets gunky pretty easily

Make sure to fill the water tank before you try to lie down for the night. E would wake up super hungry and getting the water jug and pouring it without spilling everywhere while trying to shush a screaming baby at 3 am is a recipe for disaster

It takes some work to maintain and make sure it is dispensing correctly but it was so worth it in my house.

And about that damn bottle warmer -we found it's just as fast if not faster to warm breast milk bottles in a coffee mug that we filled about 1/3 full with water, zapped in the microwave for 1:30 and stuck the bottle in the hot water. I don't think we'll be getting another bottle warmer this time around

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecwk also I used the Medela sanitizing bags.  I hate things that take up counter space and they can be used 20x or so, put in a diaper bag, etc.  They don't hold as much as a steamer, but I could put both Shields and two bottles in there easy.

There are also how tos to make a DAT with pool noodles :) 

We personally use our pnp a lot.  We travel a lot and our son has slept in his crib only from four months on.  We never use it at home though as a play pen.  If you're thinking of a bassinet I say no way.  A pnp can easily be used, or the crib in your bedroom.  If you plan on traveling a lot where cribs aren't guaranteed (we Airbnb) the pnp is perfect.  Otherwise I don't see it's use at home.  Like I said we don't use it as a play pen.  I've used it ONCE outside.  So, it's been used once at home.

If you still really want the things people are saying are useless definitely consider once upon a child or another resale shop.  There is nothing wrong with buying secondhand!

Oh, another, unless you get the little Velcro mitts then newborn socks make great mittens.  All of the actual mittens we were given were HUGE.  Like, maybe they would fit him now.
  • Options
    I did make registries but only for the swag and discount.

hinestly it will really vary. Stuff one person hates anpther will love. 

A random favorite item of mine is to get a bunch of waterproof lap pads, Rhee are maybe 6x9? Then you toss one under baby’s bum on the changing pad. When they are small and leaks happen, or they pee mid change, etc you toss the pad in the wash instead of the Entire changing pad each diaper. I had like 2-3 changing pads to rotate but not enough for one per diaper change!

also love our pnp mainly as a separate nap/safe set down spot/diaper changing station for the main floor. Early on, worth every penny. WE used occasionally to travel too.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    pghctwifepghctwife member
    edited February 2018
    Don’t register for a convertible car seat. They expire so if you use the bucket seat for a year, that’s a year less life in your convertible. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 such good recommendations! To expand on yours, I would also get a boppy/nursing pillow for every floor of your house. That way, it is easy to BF baby anywhere at home without lugging it all over when baby is screaming  :D I read that on Lucie's List, which is such a great site for product/brand recommendations.
    Image result for april showers meme

Hello from Detroit!

• Options
    @rocknrollmom - such a great idea! Also have burp cloths and a safe place to put baby down (crib, rock n play, etc) on every floor.

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We were in a small condo with DS, and now are in a 2 story house with all bedrooms upstairs, so great idea on certain items on all levels of the house! The logistics of a lot of things will be much different for us this time around!
    DS room was right off our living room, so we mostly just went in there for diaper changes and put him on the changing pad. I'm thinking we will need some type of changing table downstairs though, right? I'll be recovering from a c/s and DH has a bad back, so I can't imagine floor diaper changes will be the best idea. We can get away with it now with DS because we change him far less often and his diapers are not nearly as messy as newborn ones! Suggestions!?

• Options
    @lolog531 If you have the space, I'd say to just set up a PnP on your first floor and leave it on the newborn setting so you don't have to bend over much.  I'd throw down a pad and change the baby in there.  Then they could maybe nap in there too.  2 birds, 1 stone.
  • Options
    @lolog531 If you have the space, I'd say to just set up a PnP on your first floor and leave it on the newborn setting so you don't have to bend over much.  I'd throw down a pad and change the baby in there.  Then they could maybe nap in there too.  2 birds, 1 stone.
    Yes! Some PNP also have a built on changing table and also side compartments to use for storing diapers and stuff. That is exactly what we did. I had DD sleeping in a PNP bassinet attachment next to our bed for the first 3 months and I had everything to change her diaper right there. 
    Image result for april showers meme

Hello from Detroit!

• Options
    Somehow I am above the quote box instead of below it?! We used the PnP only for when we traveled to see family with DS, but I told DH we'd probably get a lot more use this time around! I figured we would have it set up in the family room as a place to lay the baby down, but that's a good idea to also use as a changing space, too!

• Options
    @lolog531 - honestly I'd just get a changing pad and cover or disposable covers for downstairs. The pad can be used on the kitchen table or counter for convenience and moved when you don't need it. But if you're going to have the P&P set up downstairs for naps and whatnot, I'd use the changing table attachment if you have one.

BTW, if you're using a changing pad on a wooden / varnished surface and are worried about the pad sliding around, we just got the non-slip liner that you use in drawers and cabinets and that did the trick

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hezzer78 This is my 2nd, but I registered at Babies R Us, Walmart, and Amazon for my first. BRU because it’s popular, Walmart because it’s the only local store to me that sells baby stuff, and Amazon because they have great perks. 

This time around I started registries to use as checklists on BRU, Target, and Amazon. Amazon because the perks are great and I do a lot of shopping there. Target because sales + red card gets me some great deals. BRU so I have a list of the gear I want to check out or try out in the store. I won’t actually buy anything from BRU. Their prices after a discount or sale are generally the same as Target’s regular prices. 
  • Options
    My experience with registry & shower was that I spent a long time on both registries I expected people to use, and I received very little from my registries. A few of my close relatives used my registry for big-ticket items, like a travel system and pack n play. My friends either bought off my registry or gave me very useful items that they personally loved.

Everyone else (extended family and older family friends) gave me a NB or 0-3 outfit with a pack of infant socks, or a baby bathtub with baby towels, washcloths, and baby bath supplies. I returned more items from my shower than I kept and used the store credit for items I did need. 
  • Options
    @ecwk I just used the bags so you can sanitize them in the microwave.

I registered at Babies R Us, Target and Amazon. I was really lucky that people bought off my registries. I thought Target and Babies R Us both have equally good swag. As for the completion discount, Babies R Us will give it to you early if you go in and ask for it.

I would say don’t register for a lot of the same kind of bottles. You don’t know what kind baby will like. They usually give a bunch for free in the registry swag bags, so I would try those first!

As a separate issue, I highly recommend trying to give bottles cold. Some kids aren’t picky. I never warmed up a bottle for DS and he didn’t care. And he was used to it warm from the tap!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Ok, because people were talking about changing pads I wanted to bring mine up because I love it. It's plastic, so I never have anything to wash anything, I litterally just wipe it down with some cleaning stuff and im good to go. While it seems expensive, after you end up buying the covers and accessories for a cheaper one I think it evens out. 
    https://www.keekaroo.com/peanut-changer.html

Also we used 2 pnp when DS was little, one down stairs and one in our room. He had a crib in his room but pretty much just started using it. This method worked especially great for us because I had some delivery complications and this meant less stairs for diaper changes and naps. 
  • Options
    Things we used the crap out of:

ergo baby 
    pack n play
    halo sleep sack 
    snuza clip on breathing monitor
    wonder weeks smartphone app
  • Options
    UO? I find registries so stressful. Lol. I did one with my first and I need to do it again. And I don’t want to.