June 2018 Moms
Options

The Rant Thread • w/o 1/29

124»

Re: The Rant Thread • w/o 1/29

• Options
    @doxiemoxie212 Ugh, I remember you saying yesterday that you were really familiar with their marketing tactics. I have always found MLMs rather ridiculous and annoying, but I hadn’t thought as much about them so deeply exploitative. I am shocked at how much this woman in particular has drank the kool-aid.

@kfren @LaceyBee522 I might not be able to hold back from responding. I genuinely liked following the progress of this woman’s daughter, but I’m about ready to just burn this bridge and then unfriend.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    @moonovergoldsboro that would make me so so angry. DS has challenges and diagnoses and therapies. I'm not private about them. and if ANYONE used those for their own entry way into a stupid sale? uuuugh.
    actually I'd probably reply all about my son. i wouldn't even acknowledge her bullshit she's selling. that'd piss her off cause obviously she could careless about what started the convo.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MoonOverGoldsboro Maybe you don't even have to burn the bridge. You could respond and say something about how you've appreciated being able to follow her daughter's journey as well. Then segue into explaining that you felt taken aback at the turn her message took. Tell her you're sure she didn't mean to be insensitive, but that her sales pitch came across as such....blah blah blah. You get what I'm saying. If it is a relationship worth maintaining, there is a way to say your peace without totally burning that bridge. Although, if you choose to go full scorched earth on her as$, I totally wouldn't blame you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kfren - I agree that people tend to avoid certain topics because they feel it'll make teens/kids more interested. But, realistically, that's not the truth. My parents both smoked and drank (were alcoholics) growing up, and had open discussions about their habits and the cost and repercussions and stuff like that. It didn't make me more interested at all. I've drank, but I've never been close to being an alcoholic, and knowing my parents were makes me more aware of what I'm doing. I've smoked, but over the like 5 years I smoked off and on, I think I smoked 2 packs, if even that. It never really piqued my curiosity because I was around it all the time growing up.
    On the flip side, I had friends whose parents never drank or smoked in front of them, and also had conversations to the extent of "don't do it, it's bad", and they're the ones who binged when they came of age.

@Amphibious22 - I agree, and the only thing I would amend to what you posted was that there are very few/select cases where a dog can go from being absolutely sweet and patient and loving everyone, to attacking their owner with no provocation. For instance, a dog who has malignant cancer that's been spread without realization.

I only mentioning that because my parents had a great pyrenees who loved everyone. He was the sweetest dog, treated the kids and other animals like they were his flock, and had never so much as growled at a human. He had a tumor on his leg that we biopsied that came up to be malignant, and a couple of weeks later he woke up one morning and bit my mother when she sat next to him on the couch. He was awake, aware she was there, didn't grown, ears weren't back, absolutely no indication he had an issue until she sat down next to him. Something she did every day when they all woke up (he usually laid right between both of my parents). My parents didn't tell me that had happened until he went after my dad a few days later, and then my mother again the next day.
    He had moments where he was his usual self which made it harder for us to put him down, but it was obvious we'd caught his cancer too late and he was suffering as a result.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @MoonOverGoldsboro what a POS
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @izza2 that's what happened with our pit/mastiff mix. He went from sweet and loving to attacking friends and family. Never even so much as growled at me or the kids, but did try to attack several people he knew. The vet said he had a tumor and needed to be put down. It was awful. 
  • Options
    You are a far better person than I, @LaceyBee52:p

In all seriousness, this is why I’ve been holding off on responding, because right now the kindest thing I could say is “Your conduct is shameful and offensive, and you should be embarrassed.” And I don’t know if I want to do that. I need to ruminate some more.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    @MoonOverGoldsboro I would respond with "cool story bro"
  • Options
    My rant - people who call about the weirdest shit to my work.

"Oh I heard your ad" *offers to help* "Did you know your birth certificate should be getting you $400 a year!?"
    Proceeds in schpeel about government, people, etc.

I was in too much shock to ask him to stop or hang up. So uncomfortable!
  • Options
    Got an email from my oB that as of March 1st they don’t have a contract with my insurance company!! (Blue cross.) they are hoping to negotiate one by then but I’m sure it’s  a case of trying to get them to reimburse higher. The email said if we are pregnant they have to continue to see us as in network for the duration of pregnancy. I have to find out the details though I’m so annoyed!! 

• Options
    @katie121209 I got the same email! Mine specifically said “Florida Blue” when I have BCBS of NY. I’m annoyed too and have to call on tomorrow to find out the details. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ffw0617ffw0617 member
    edited February 2018
    Re: guns. They should be locked and unreachable and NOT for your kids (you can teach your kids) but think of your kid’s friends, cousins, etc. last week in Houston (a very gun happy place) 2 boys shot and killed themselves, different households. One kid was visiting age 3 and they other kid age 5 had recently moved in as his mom moved in with her sister (his aunt) the week before. And ask yourself what you’re really saying: you hear “I teach my child gun safety so it’s ok” instead say “actually the convenience of the gun being unlocked and reachable is coming at the potential price of a child’s life” it’s simply not worth it. Just like with the example of alcohol kids are often more influenced by their friends than parents. My parents had alcohol in front of us and had a full bar in the den, but I remember in high school after school (my parents weren’t home yet) my friends would often pressure me to let them drink, I lied and told them my dad would know (he wouldn’t) but it never stopped, they asked almost every time they came over. A more impressionable me would have gotten in trouble listening to my friends. It’s more important to me to protect children than trust them with dangerous items. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @dinodna3 yeah ours is technically Florida blue. That is so annoying!!! 
  • Options
    @ffw0617 My husband is a hunter and goes to the range often. In Canada the laws are different, but we've already discussed about 'rules' regarding when he has the guns out and our daughter is home.
    He's not going to shy her away from being interested, but - like power tools - she is not to touch. She can watch. She will also learn early on, these are not toys.
    We also have a secured cabinet with keys on my husband at all times, so she - or anyone - couldn't access it without the keys.