April 2018 Moms

Breastfeeding Survival Guide

2»

Re: Breastfeeding Survival Guide

• Oh!! Almost forgot, if you’re working and pumping and then nursing at home, the more baby nurses at home the better your pump output will be!  I made a huge mistake with my first. I had awesome pump output until my caregiver kept insisting I send bigger bottles.  She was up to 18oz in a 9 hour work day and my pump output tanked and I was dipping into my freezer supply within weeks. 

2-3oz bottles every 2-3 hrs is what they need during the day. This ensures they get enough but still are hungry enough to create more demand from you. It took a couple months but my pump output bounced back once we dropped bottle sizes. I also am totally cool with a paci while mom is gone, but when I am with baby we nursed a lot which was the best for my pump output!  
    Yes yes yes, we'll need another thread completely dedicated to working/pumping moms. There are unique challenges, one of which is caregivers not understanding how much milk a BF needs during the day while away from mom. Its very rare for BF babies to take more than 1-1.5 ounces/hour (not unheard of certainly, but its not the majority of babies). Caregivers tend to have more familiarity with formula feeding and the milk needs are slightly different between BF and formula fed.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This isn't necessarily tips because if you decide to breastfeed everyone has a different journey.  But I will just share my experience.

It will hurt in the beginning and I feel that it's normal for a brief period.  I was told constantly that it shouldn't hurt but for the first two weeks I had toe curling pain while I nursed.  It was to the point I was so close to stopping but I told myself I would give it two weeks. I saw multiple lactation consultants and I was doing it correctly.   It did eventually getting better and your sensitive nipples build up a tolerance.
    I do support seeing as many lactation consultants as you want.  My DD nursed with her top lip in and even tho it's not considered the standard nursing "lips out" position the consultants I saw said it was ok!  No, she didn't have lip tie either.
    Nipple shields are amazing.  I used a nipple shield on one side that had a blister on it and it help a lot.  I eventually started taking it away when I didn't need it.
    Medela Tender Care HydroGel Pads were amazing in between feedings.  I cut the pad into fours because your nipple is not the size they come in usually and they are a bit expensive so it help cut costs down.
    I always leaked on the one side that I wasn't nursing with during a letdown so disposable pads were my friends throughout my whole nursing experience.  Without fail it happened every time.
    I wish I would of given my daughter a pacifier right away because I was afraid of nipple confusion.  When I tried at the 3/4 week mark she wasn't interested at all.  But she just wanted to suck all day for comfort.

Sign up for all the formula companies. They will send you free samples and they are great to have on hand if you need to supplement or find out breastfeeding isn't for you.  That way you don't have to run out to the store right away.  If you end up not needing them then you can donate.

• Loading the player...
  • I almost forgot my most important gem of a tip: how to make your own nursing tanks!  This saved me SO much money, and it is ridiculously easy to do.

https://www.breastfeedingplace.com/make-nursing-tank-tutorial/
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • cards10cards10 member
    edited September 2017
    This thread is amazing!  <3

For those talking about leaking while nursing, a friend of mine who just had her second baby told me about this gem:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0IH5XE/ref=pd_aw_lpo_121_lp_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S76A5KXMW48YTYXJYZ6G

It goes on the breast that baby isn't nursing from and catches any leaking milk so nothing goes to waste. I haven't personally used this yet but I plan to get one for this baby. 

(I will share my BF experience, or lack there of, when I have the time)
  • julzy said:
    @growingournest unfortunately the CDC came out a few months ago saying the refrigerating pump parts trick isn't sufficient and can be dangerous. I did it with DS but I don't think I will again this time around and will just buy extra parts. I especially wouldn't do this with a preemie or otherwise immunosuppressed baby.
    I hadn't heard that!  Thank you so much for the heads up!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Bump based on recent discussions!

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bump!

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker