February 2018 Moms

Do you have any questions for STM+(s)?

12345679»

Re: Do you have any questions for STM+(s)?

• This is a timing question... I got to my $100 diaper credit on amazon from my registry, hooray. Do I stock up on wipes/diapers now before kiddo comes, or after? Has to be all in one purchase. 
  • @clc515 we stocked up on diapers before DS1 and ended up having to return over half of them because he would break out in every brand except Pampers.   DS2 did best in Huggies.  

This time around I’m only stocking up on wipes.  Every time I have a Costco run I buy a case of the Kirkland’s brand wipes.  

So if you stock up just make sure unopened boxes can be returned. 
  • Loading the player...
  • hms1219 said:
    @clc515 we stocked up on diapers before DS1 and ended up having to return over half of them because he would break out in every brand except Pampers.   DS2 did best in Huggies.  

This time around I’m only stocking up on wipes.  Every time I have a Costco run I buy a case of the Kirkland’s brand wipes.  

Thank you! Is there a really a difference between water wipes and normal wipes, too? 
  • clc515 said:
    hms1219 said:
    @clc515 we stocked up on diapers before DS1 and ended up having to return over half of them because he would break out in every brand except Pampers.   DS2 did best in Huggies.  

Thank you! Is there a really a difference between water wipes and normal wipes, too? 
    Water wipes are just water,  regular wipes are a little soapy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • I have a question about formula. I'm planning on breastfeeding but want to have some formula on hand just in case things don't go as planned. My friend had her first about 6 years ago and told me that she was so inundated with formula samples from various companies that just mailed them to her house when her baby was born that she didn't need to buy formula for a while. Is this still the case? Or should I just get one canister of something as a back up?
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• I have a question about formula. I'm planning on breastfeeding but want to have some formula on hand just in case things don't go as planned. My friend had her first about 6 years ago and told me that she was so inundated with formula samples from various companies that just mailed them to her house when her baby was born that she didn't need to buy formula for a while. Is this still the case? Or should I just get one canister of something as a back up?
    Omg the free samples thing is true. I’ve received all this in the mail from signing up for samples. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pandappanderson Oh, so I should sign up for the samples, then! Will do! Thanks!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• How do you sign up for samples?  Just go to different companies websites @pandappanderson?
  • @chucksmom15 yep just go to the different sites and sign up there.  They pretty much all have programs and also check with your OB as they get samples sometimes as well.

@clc515 I would also recommend to wait.  Get some but not a ton as you will find what works best for you and baby as you go along.  The only time water wipes are really necessary is if baby has an allergy or is prone to rashes the water wipes can be a lifesaver!  I know a lot of moms in DD's birth month had to get rid of a lot of stuff from stocking up only for their little to have a reaction.
  • @chucksmom15 I signed up through their websites. I think I originally got the info on the sample from flyers from. Maternity store. Nestle baby and similiac were the two I signed up for 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Apologies in advance if this has been discussed - curious to hear how other ST+M handled it.

How are you handling your husband staying with you in the hospital when you have a child at home?  Our hospital does the "rooming in" thing where basically you have the baby with you the whole time.  We have a 5 year old son who still needs to go to school.  My RCS is on a Thursday so we have a plan where he will stay with my parents the night before and night of and they will help get him to school on Thursday/Friday.  I'm hoping I would be released on Saturday and get to go home.  DH is prepared to stay the first night, but I just really can't  handle DH telling me he is "tired" or achy from sleeping on the hospital couch, so I feel like the second night I should send him home to get my son back in his routine, and so DH can get a good night's sleep at home.  However, I'm pretty worried about getting help during the night because I'll be recovering from a CS.  I don't recall the night nurses being particularly helpful when DS was born, but we had the option to send the baby to the nursery at that time (which we did take them up on).  Maybe I will just need to be more assertive and ring for help but curious to hear how others experiences went.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Megzb510 - We're hoping to induce on the weekend to make it easier as far as kids' schedules and logistics go. A Saturday would be ideal, as we'd be released on Monday, and H can still drop the kids off at school. The birthing center I'll deliver at has a pull out bed, but it's not exactly super comfortable. My mom is planning to fly out hopefully a couple days before to stay at home with the kids to allow H to spend the night at the hospital and take care of the baby while I rest.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• @Megzb510 dh will stay overnight if i am in labor,  but will sleep at home all other nights.

He will also get The Kids off to school in the mornings and take care of the livestock  before coming back to the hospital to see me and baby.   The nurses will  assist me if i need it while he is gone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Unless I’m labor, I’ll send my husband home at night. One of us needs to be well rested and patient. If I need help, I view that as the nurse’s job and I’ll ask for it. If they give me an attitude about a reasonable request (which would surprise me, especially after a C section), then it’s on them. And I’m a healthcare worker.  I would be annoyed to get bothered for simple things like extra ice in your water or something very picky and unnecessary, but we know that you can’t do it all a day after major abdominal surgery. Only issue is that often one nurse may have three patients, and you might have to wait until they can come help, which is hard if the baby is crying...but newborns tend to sleep a lot the first couple of nights
  • thanks ladies for the feedback - I feel better about sending DH home.  @jessilee15 thank you for the health care provider POV.  I'm someone who hates asking for help and feeling like I'm bothering them from their jobs, but I know I will have some physical limitations where I will need the assistance!
    TTC #2 since August 2015
  • Once baby is here, DH is going home to stay with the kids.  They need to stay on their normal schedule as much as possible.  He stayed the whole time with DS1 and DS2 and we had lots of hospital visitors.  This time no visitors either.  When he stayed he was grouchy because he woke up every time I got checked and when he slept he snored so I didn’t sleep.  Just me and baby and the nurses this time. 
  • @Megzb510 I’m not sure how different it is because I’m not planning a CS but I’ll also be sending DH home as long as I’m not in labor. He stayed the whole time with DS1 and two nights (one in labor and the first night) with DD. I was happy to send him home the second night after DD’s arrival to be home with DS1. He slept better and was much more coherent when I got released. I won’t make him stay at all this time. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Megzb510 I'm a FTM, but H and I already agreed he'd go home the night baby is born (it's a SCS at noon), then come back the following morning, and go back home that night to get the dogs from boarding. Then I'm hoping I'll go home the next day. I figure the nurses will be able to help me, and like others said they can take the baby to the nursery if I need to sleep. I'm honestly looking forward to having some time alone with the baby after H leaves!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @pandappanderson and @ahoneycutt12 Thanks for the info on samples. Just signed up on a bunch of sites to start my supply, haha! And thanks for asking about it @eggplantface.
  • @Megzb510 if I end up with another csection DH will definitely be staying. We have a toddler at home that I would rather him be with, however our hospital is very “family centred” and also does not have a nursery and the nurses tend to take the approach that they are more there for the mother than they are the baby. They definitely still checked on baby but not near as much as they did on me, and they for sure didn’t come when she cried. I’d be stressed about baby crying in the middle of the night and not being able to get her out of the bassinet on my own and the nurses not being available right away. Just my thoughts! It might be different too if I ended up with a section first thing in the morning and had had the day to get settled.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Kind of a random question.. After the baby's born, did anyone miss the kicks and rolls? It's been so wierd to see LO moving around the last months, but as I get used to it I was wondering if I'll miss it.
  • @atalante I can’t say I did much... I had that sweet baby to snuggle. I did when I wanted baby #2 though! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • atalante said:
    Kind of a random question.. After the baby's born, did anyone miss the kicks and rolls? It's been so wierd to see LO moving around the last months, but as I get used to it I was wondering if I'll miss it.
    I’ve been wondering this. And then today I got a head butt to the cervix so hard it made me jump/wince and I thought maybe I wouldn’t miss it THAT much. It’s kind of nice feeling like I’m never alone though, like I always have my little buddy with me. 
  • atalante said:
    Kind of a random question.. After the baby's born, did anyone miss the kicks and rolls? It's been so wierd to see LO moving around the last months, but as I get used to it I was wondering if I'll miss it.
    I remember there being phantom kicks after birth. These lasted for me for a while. It would feel like little kicks and I would be terrified that I was pregnant again. I don’t think everyone gets them, but they are strange. 
  • atalante said:
    I tend to have very easy pregnancies and extremely easy births. I definitely had that "Wow. I want to do this again!" after I had my youngest, though it was likely a birth high/euphoria. But it was a running thought for a little while, and I thought the same after my fourth and second. It isn't just the movement, but the overall experience, though toward the end I'm ready to have baby earthside.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I’ll have some sort of treats for the nurses in my bag.  In my experience (and coming from a family full of nurses), chocolate bars or donuts or the like tend to work wonders for getting a little extra help when you need it.
  • I’ll have some sort of treats for the nurses in my bag.  In my experience (and coming from a family full of nurses), chocolate bars or donuts or the like tend to work wonders for getting a little extra help when you need it.
    And words cannot express how much I appreciate the nurses for all the (sometimes literal) crapwork they have to do and maybe cookies can express a small portion of my gratitude :)
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

And words cannot express how much I appreciate the nurses for all the (sometimes literal) crapwork they have to do and maybe cookies can express a small portion of my gratitude :)
    I always wondered about this. Like would the nurses even eat homemade food or even packaged stuff that was brought as a thank you? I’ve heard stories about how police/fire stations take food donations and immediately pitch it. 
    TTC #2 since August 2015
  • My parents used to own a pizza place across from the police station. Anytime an order would get effed up or not picked up they would just run it over. The local police department got in trouble and had to stop accepting them as it could be considered bribery. (Off topic a bit, I know)

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Re: Nurses treats:  As a teacher, unless I know the family really well, I don't eat anything that looks homemade from families.  Last time I delivered, I had food brought in for the nurses.  I think we ordered cupcakes one evening, Jimmy Johns, maybe donuts one day?  My MIL actually sort it all out bc I was out of it--but this is what we will be doing again.
  • @Megzb510 Yeah I’m thinking Oreos, not homemade. I wouldn’t blame them for being wary of homemade stuff from strangers. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• If the hospital you deliver at has some sort of coffee bar/shop that offers gift cards, that could also be an option for a treat for the nurses!