February 2018 Moms

Do you have any questions for STM+(s)?

Re: Do you have any questions for STM+(s)?

• @clc515 I would say, in your case, you probably won't need a video monitor.  

For me--I loved having the video monitor--and just ordered a 2 camera system today for DS and the new baby.  We had DS in his crib within a few weeks--so that was nice to just check on him without having to walk in and disturb him.  I actually use the 2 way talk/video monitor now with DS (he's 2) more than ever. I can tell him to lay back down during naps/bedtime.  I will add that we live in a large 2 story--and the bedrooms are upstairs--so that also plays into the need for monitors. 
  • @clc515 I'm a FTM but got one because I've liked them for when I was babysitting my nieces and nephews. I like being able to see the kiddos and make sure everything is okay without entering the room if I can help it. Plus, as said before, when they're older, you can communicate easily.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input @3plus1equals4, @SunflowerMama428, @sabriel1, @magnolia305 , and @gingermama26. We're starting to buy necessities we didn't get at the shower and thinking we'll hold off on this one. I'll leave it on the registry if someone wants to be generous though haha. Maybe when he gets older/more mobile, and/or we move to a bigger place where we'd be more than 10-15 feet away from him in the other room. 
  • DS (17months) is in the room right across the hall from us and I have loved having the video monitor. It helps a lot when he goes through sleep regressions and I want to let him self soothe back to sleep but also want to make sure he’s not actually needing me to go in there. If I physically go in there just to check on him then it’s guaranteed he won’t go back to sleep on his own. Plus he’s a big mischief and likes to run around and face plant in his crib just for kicks so it’s good to have the ability to peek at him when I hear strange thumps during nap time. I didn’t start using it until he moved from our room to his own at 6 months though.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @Chawk17 We do swaddle blankets in the beginning..  maybe a month or two. After that mine got too squirmy to stay wrapped and we just did footed sleepers.
    Thank you 
  • @Chawk17 I’m the odd man out.  We went straight to the swaddle sleep sacs. DH and I could never figure out a secure swaddle wrap. 

@clc515 we have a 3 story house with a video monitor. I couldn’t tell the difference between the “really need me” cry and the “see if I can get Mom in here” cry 
  • hms1219 said:
    @Chawk17 I’m the odd man out.  We went straight to the swaddle sleep sacs. DH and I could never figure out a secure swaddle wrap. 

@clc515 we have a 3 story house with a video monitor. I couldn’t tell the difference between the “really need me” cry and the “see if I can get Mom in here” cry 
    I'm not crafty and get flustered easily. I can see myself struggling with the origami wrap and going for the sack. But I'll give it a try.
  • hms1219 said:
    @Chawk17 I’m the odd man out.  We went straight to the swaddle sleep sacs. DH and I could never figure out a secure swaddle wrap. 

Oh, by swaddle blanket, I totally meant the swaddle me wrap things. The sleep sacks are looser, but the swaddle mes are nice and tight like a swaddle without the hassle. I loved them so much. 
  • @lainikins gotcha!  Those were a life saver for us. DS1 would break out of every swaddle plain blanket we tried.  The nurses at the hospital made it look so easy.  With DS2 the hospital gave us a swaddle me thing.
  • Ok so this is a random question courtesy of that lie-awake-at-3am time, so that's why if it seems silly... :) When did (if it did) your belly button pop out? Was it gradual or did it happen overnight? Was it uncomfortable?
  • atalante said:
    Ok so this is a random question courtesy of that lie-awake-at-3am time, so that's why if it seems silly... :) When did (if it did) your belly button pop out? Was it gradual or did it happen overnight? Was it uncomfortable?
    Mine never popped out in five pregnancies :(

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• sabriel1 said:
    atalante said:
    Ok so this is a random question courtesy of that lie-awake-at-3am time, so that's why if it seems silly... :) When did (if it did) your belly button pop out? Was it gradual or did it happen overnight? Was it uncomfortable?
    I am terrified at the thought of this happening to me!  So far, I feel as though I've taken all of these weird body things in stride (FTM, here), but this just weirds me out! 
  • My belly button officially become an outie in the last it had been getting close over the last few weeks. I don’t feel a difference
  • No outie but it squishes together and feels/looks funny. Usually starts between 30-32 weeks to be extra weird. 
  • Mine did. Other than I think it looks creepy there is really not much difference as far as comfort goes. Definitely does not hurt at all. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sabriel1 said:
    atalante said:
     pregnancy #7, no popped belly button ever. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • @GoogleMD, @smorzandoj - that wierd look is what kind of prompted the thought train... Mine feels like it is getting shallower and more stretched out at 28 wks, and I just wasn't sure what to expect... :smile:
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited November 2017
    This is my 6th and my belly button has never popped, not even when I measured 49 weeks at delivery with ds1 due to severe polyhydramnios. It just gets flat, and with him many parts of my stomach had reduced sensation and felt numb due to the overdistension.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• atalante said:
    Mine pops out gradually from 2nd tri (STM here). It isn't uncomfortable, just that it shows in my clothes  :s
  • Starting to get emotional thinking of DS not being the baby of the house anymore. I keep thinking of telling him goodbye to go have this baby and it makes me want to cry! Of course I know I will love seeing him become a big brother and I can’t wait to meet this little one, but I think that’s going to be the hardest part of this delivery. Anything that made that part less sad for you STM? 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @winnie1122 I am with you on getting emotional about DS not being our baby anymore! I def hold him a little longer and read that extra book right now. 
  • @winnie1122 same. I let DS cuddle in bed with me while watching Sesame Street after bed time stories until he fell asleep.Trying to cherish all the cuddles. 
    It is bittersweet. I am excited to meet this Lo but I feel a little guilty knowing DS will now have to share our time and the adjustment that will be for him
  • @winnie1122 we did lots of mommy and DS1 dates and family outings as my pregnancy with DS2 progressed.  Afterwards we made sure to do special things like bake cookies or banana bread while DS2 napped.  The extra time made it a little less emotional for the transition 
  • @winnie1122 I definitely spent more time with him during my DD’s pregnancy. I guess I’m the odd ball out on the hospital though. While I missed DS I knew he was safe and loved at my moms house. I cherished that alone time with DD! I can’t wait to have it with DS2. 

Watching DS and DD has helped... there is nothing sweeter than watching the love between them. I’m so glad they have each other. No regrets making DD the middle child. I can’t wait to see them love on DS2. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've also been finding myself being a softy these past few weeks! We never wanted our little guy sleeping in our bed because he was such a good crib sleeper and we didn't want to wreck that. This past week he's been yelling and wanting to cuddle and I've let him lay in bed with my until he falls asleep! I know these cuddles won't last forever 
  • Starting to get emotional thinking of DS not being the baby of the house anymore. I keep thinking of telling him goodbye to go have this baby and it makes me want to cry! Of course I know I will love seeing him become a big brother and I can’t wait to meet this little one, but I think that’s going to be the hardest part of this delivery. Anything that made that part less sad for you STM? 
    Third time mom here and I feel these emotions too. I also see the incredible bond that DS1 and DS2 have and it helps to ease the heartache of my baby not being the baby any more. I think it was harder thinking about it prior to delivery. Once my water broke, I didn't have a lot of time to think about that and then once DS came to the hospital to meet the baby, my heart melted seeing them together. I made it a point when DS2 was little and still now to do special activities solo with DS1. 
  • So I went to a Baby and Me Fundamentals class the other night where the nurse went through all the baby basics. She said something about babies not sleeping in swaddle blankets because they're blankets... and that Halo sleep sacks are the only approved swaddle type things they should sleep in. Is that accurate? Other than plain clothes/gowns, that's all they can sleep in? We received some SwaddleMes that I thought they could wear to sleep as implied in their description, or is that only to wear while awake? 
  • clc515 said:
    So I went to a Baby and Me Fundamentals class the other night where the nurse went through all the baby basics. She said something about babies not sleeping in swaddle blankets because they're blankets... and that Halo sleep sacks are the only approved swaddle type things they should sleep in. Is that accurate? Other than plain clothes/gowns, that's all they can sleep in? We received some SwaddleMes that I thought they could wear to sleep as implied in their description, or is that only to wear while awake? 
    To each their own on this one. DS1 and DD were swaddled till 4mo old. I know I’ll do the same with DS2. The issue, I thought, was blankets around their face. You could get those zipper swaddle sacks to eliminate that. 

My nurses got upset with me when my babies were not swaddled in the hospital... so that really makes no sense to me. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've never heard that about swaddling. They aren't supposed to have lose blankets in the crib but a swaddle is not loose. Nurses have always sealed my babies with a hospital blanket in the hospital

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• clc515 said:
    So I went to a Baby and Me Fundamentals class the other night where the nurse went through all the baby basics. She said something about babies not sleeping in swaddle blankets because they're blankets... and that Halo sleep sacks are the only approved swaddle type things they should sleep in. Is that accurate? Other than plain clothes/gowns, that's all they can sleep in? We received some SwaddleMes that I thought they could wear to sleep as implied in their description, or is that only to wear while awake? 
    I swaddled both of mine at the recommendation of my doctor. Both boys would wake due to the startle reflex (when their hands bounce up quickly involuntarily) and I was beyond exhausted. My doctor showed me how to swaddle and it was a life saver. We swaddled using swaddleme's until the boys could roll. Once they roll, swaddling isn't safe because they could roll and not have access to their arms if needed. The first few months swaddling saved my sanity. The boys consistently slept 4 hour stretches with the swaddle. Before that, it was 1-2 hours. 
  • sabriel1 said:
    I've never heard that about swaddling. They aren't supposed to have lose blankets in the crib but a swaddle is not loose. Nurses have always sealed my babies with a hospital blanket in the hospital
    I have swaddled all my babies.  The hospital blankets are the best for this IMO. I know Alot of new parents swear by the swaddle blankets / sleep sacks,  and i just font get the hype.  Its not very hard to swaddle with a blanket. 

The issue with loose blankets is SIDS, and suffocation issues.  Any thing tight fitting and off the babies face should be fine. If you keep it cooler in your house,  layer the baby up with a long sleeved onesie, socks,  a thicker set of footies or a gown and a little cap before swaddling.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks all. It seemed inconsistent w other things I've heard that they said don't use a blanket to swaddle... I thought as long as they were tight/secure. Guess better safe than sorry for a teacher to say. I was like, why was the first thing you taught us 3 ways to swaddle with the blankets... but then we shouldn't use the blanket when they sleep? When else do babies need swaddling?  
  • @winnie1122 that's the hardest part of this pregnancy. I always cry whenever i think of the goodbye part.
  • @clc515 my hospital’s position is also to use the slepsack/swaddlemes over blankets because of parents not swaddling tight enough. With the sleep sacks it is kinda error proof. 
    I perfered the sleepsacks over swaddling anyways. I felt like it was faster and I could change DS diaper at night by just  unzipping the bottom without undoing/redoing the whole thing.

• clc515 said:
    Thanks all. It seemed inconsistent w other things I've heard that they said don't use a blanket to swaddle... I thought as long as they were tight/secure. Guess better safe than sorry for a teacher to say. I was like, why was the first thing you taught us 3 ways to swaddle with the blankets... but then we shouldn't use the blanket when they sleep? When else do babies need swaddling?  
    Maybe they meant not to swaddle with a thick blanket? I can't imagine being able to get a thick blanket tight enough. I prefer blankets that are the material of a hospital blanket, receiving blanket, or a muslin blanket

• I am sure I am over thinking this, but how do dresses work in car seats? Like, all the fabric would bunch up, right? Isn’t that unsafe, like a bulky jacket? I want to do a dress for the coming home outfit, but I can’t figure out how this would work. 

Signed, a boy mom. 
  • lainikins said:
    I am sure I am over thinking this, but how do dresses work in car seats? Like, all the fabric would bunch up, right? Isn’t that unsafe, like a bulky jacket? I want to do a dress for the coming home outfit, but I can’t figure out how this would work. 

Signed, a boy mom. 
    Dresses are fine in carseats. Most baby dresses are fairly short,  just pull the extra material to the sides. Its puffy jackets and snowsuit s that are no-nos in a carseat.  A sweater And pants or a Dress and tights are fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lainikins said:
    I am sure I am over thinking this, but how do dresses work in car seats? Like, all the fabric would bunch up, right? Isn’t that unsafe, like a bulky jacket? I want to do a dress for the coming home outfit, but I can’t figure out how this would work. 

Signed, a boy mom. 
    A lot of newborn dressed are like onesies with an attached over-skirt. No different than say a onesie and pants... perfectly fine.  :)
  • lainikins said:

Signed, a boy mom. 

In box:
    My dr gave me a pamphlet for going home after labor. It said baby clothes have to meet requirements of car seat ( holes ect). FTM new learning curve...i thought you just placed baby in seat. Oh dear.  
  • alice0218alice0218 member
    edited December 2017
    I am curious for STMs, what did you pay for your ultrasound(s)? 

I spent several hours and called the hospital leaving my name/email/phone about 4-5 times for about 3 weeks before my first ultrasound, asking for the price so I could ask my insurance and know what to expect. Needless to say, they never gave me an answer, it was always, "I have to ask my supervisor and we'll get back to you", but of course they never did.

I also just had a second ultrasound last week to check growth because of a marginally inserted umbilical cord. 

And then I got a bill from the hospital for the first ultrasound for $300-something. It was $700-something and the insurance company lowered the price but didn't pay any of it because ultrasounds aren't covered. They go to your deductible (which is what I was trying to find out how much it would cost beforehand). Whether they're covered or go to your deductible may vary based on what plan you have, IDK.

So I'm just curious, what did/do yours cost? This question is mostly for USA residents since we can't really relate to other countries when it comes to healthcare.

eta: would anyone be interested in thread discussing the financial aspect/cost of pregnancy and giving birth? I mean it does piss me off in general to think about, but it might help some FTMs or even STMs navigate it and learn from other moms who've dealt with the "nuances" of billing and insurance and such already.