Infertility

January 2018 IVF

Re: January 2018 IVF

• @kristimh80 do they do PGS testing for everyone no matter what? I remember our dr saying if we needed the testing we’d have to do the frozen transfer. Makes sense.
    me: 30   dh: 31
    dx: unexplained
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN
    IUI #2 - clomid + trigger, BFN
    IUI #3 - femara + trigger, BFN
    IUI #4-6 - femara + follistim, BFN
    IVF #1 January 2018: 11 retrieved, 7 fertilized, 1 transferred day 5, 1 frozen embryo
    5dt Jan. 18, BFP 9dpt, EDD 10/6/18

• kristimh80kristimh80 member
    edited December 2017
    @efavell02 From my understanding, yes. They didn't really give us an option. The biopsy cost was on initial paperwork, etc. They may do it for better odds; knowing they are transferring a good embryo.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Loading the player...
  • ndz2018ndz2018 member
    edited December 2017
    @efavell02 We are also doing PGS testing.. Mainly because I’m “advanced maternal age” at 37... after 35 they make you feel like senior citizen. I know couple younger than us who also did PGS testing , they kept having TW miscarriages END TW. You’re odds are better with testing but i suppose there’s a lot factors , but age is def one of them. Matter of fact , we didn’t even have a choice. 
  • @efavell02 This is the thinking at my RE's office as well.  By the sounds of it they only do FETs.  We weren't even given an option of doing a fresh transfer, which was fine because I wanted to give my body a little break.  When we went for our consult my RE stated that we would be doing a FET with PGS testing. It didn’t sound like we were given an option, but my nurse did say it was up to us to deny the PGS because my RE highly suggests it for everyone. It is something my husband really wants to do so it was fine with us. 
  • Ok, so just got my confirmation from the pharmacy on meds and prices and EEEKK.  I mean, I knew the potential costs.  Everything I read said meds could range from 3,000 to 6,000.  I just always assumed ours would probably run more towards the 3,000 end. Nooooooooooo such luck.  We are way closer to the 6,000 side. Ug, that just ruined my day.
    Me:33, DH:38 Married: 8/2/2014
    TTC #1 Since: April 2015
    Unexplained Infertility

Cycle 1&2 : Clomid 50mg- BFN
    Cycle 3: Letrozole 2.5mg- BFN
    Cycle 4: Letrozole 5mg- BFN
    Cycle 5: HSG-normal
                  Clomid 100mg+ Estrace- BFN
    Cycle 6: Letrozole 5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progestrone- BFN
    Cycle 7: Letrozole 5mg, Cyst found during follicle check
    Cycle 8: Birth control to treat left ovary cyst
    Cycle 9: Letrozole 7.5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 10: Letrozole 7.5mg, 2 Cysts found during follicle check
    Cycle 11: Clomid 100mg+Estradiol+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg- BFN
    Cycle 13-16: Natural attempts while awaiting IVF 
    Cycle 14: IVF-BFN

• @hoffmanr7. That makes me nervous! I’m waiting for a return call from my pharmacy for my price. Praying that it’s low. The finance person at my clinic said she has seen med costs go as high as 11K. She said it’s rare but it has happened. What pharmacy are you using?
  • @hoffmanr7 WOW! You should def ask if there are any coupons!! Also look online!! When I spoke to the pharmacy they actually applied one for me. 
    edited December 2017
    @hoffmanr7 Ugh! I know the feeling!! Mine called and mine are at 5,000 and I almost fainted at work. I thought we'd be on the low end too  :/

@J1006 11k?? Yikes!! That's some serious meds going on!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Does anyone else on our board have a dx of “unexplained” by any chance, that’s willing to share? For some reason I’ve been feeling down this week because I don’t even know if IVF will “fix” what’s wrong. We just did our sperm penetration assay test yesterday to see if penetrating the egg is the problem/we need icsi but we don’t have the results yet.

@hoffmanr7 ug I’m so sorry about the meds cost. The financial aspect of this is so stressful.
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN
    IVF #1 January 2018: 11 retrieved, 7 fertilized, 1 transferred day 5, 1 frozen embryo

• @efavell02 I have unexplained infertility. The only thing my dr can think is I don't ovulate on my own. So many times I've been annoyed, wishing I could just buy trigger shots in that case. Femara didn't do anything for me. Follistimg 600iu helped with 4 eggs. It's so frustrating not knowing a real cause. I wish they would advise us to do a sperm penetration test. Hoping we don't need icsi either, but if so, at least we would know something got where it needed to.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• They’ve done every test in the book on me and everything is perfectly average; I even respond to meds really well. The only thing they could point to with DH was that his volume was low (not count), meaning there wasn’t much liquid even though his count was high (sorry if TMI:) Iui was supposed to help with that. Obviously I don’t want to have to pay for icsi, but i almost hope the test shows we need it, just so we have a reason finally that this is happening.
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN

edited December 2017
    @efavell02 Completely understand. All my tests and exams are all normal too, so it's frustrating. Hopefully, you'll know something very soon! I remember thinking IUI's were going to solve it all. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't wasted the time or $$ and went straight to IVF. But if so, we'd always wonder "what if" I guess. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @efavell02. My RE said I am unexplained. My husband has low count and low morphology however we did four medicated IUIs with a donor who had fabulous numbers. Obviously all four failed since we are now doing IVF. All of my tests have come back normal. They have done day three labs what feels like 20 times and every time it’s normal. There was a point where I wished something was wrong so we could just fix the problem.

My RE said she has a feeling someone is wrong on my end it’s  just not obvious.  My husband and I have a feeling my eggs are the problem since our IUIs with a donor failed. I was with a different doctor at the time and she said if everything was okay with me it should have worked.

We are doing ICSI due to my husbands test results. My RE wants the highest chances possible of this working. It’s an additional cost but very small at my clinic.  My husband and I were just talking about it this morning. We wish we would have just gone right to IVF but probably would have wondered if IUIs would have worked. We are going through this process and carefully making decisions so if it does fail we don’t have regrets and know we have done everything in our power to make it happen. 
  • efavell02efavell02 member
    edited December 2017
    @J1006 yeah I think it’s important for me too, to keep focusing on the fact that at each step along the way we are doing everything we can so we don’t have what ifs later.
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN

• @efavell02, I am also unexplained. Literally no reason. All tests normal. So our only guess is egg quality? That’s why IVF is the best option for me. Finding the needle in a haystack. That one beautiful egg. 
  • @efavell02 DH and I are also "unexplained".  His levels are all good, and all of my tests so far have been normal.  I have a sneaky suspicion that our problem is either egg quality, fertilization problems, or implantation problems but no way to prove it thus far.  Our first round of IVF will be interesting to see (I have this fear that none or very few will fertilize).

@J1006 We are using Mandel pharmacy.  When I talked to the pharmacy rep today to schedule delivery, he mentioned that the Gonal F currently has a rebate going so I'll get a little bit back.  Hurray!

In other news....things are rolling along.  We got our protocol in the mail last week.  Contract is signed and in the mail. We go in next week Wednesday for a final Pre-IVF appointment with the Dr to go over all the final details.  I start Lupron on the 15th and stims on the 30th.  Things have gotten very, very real.
    Unexplained Infertility

• Hey guys, I am gonna sit here with you now! I was part of the November/December crowd, but they just canceled my cycle due to poor response, and I will be re-starting with a microdose lupron flare protocol in January, so here I am! My H and I are both 30 and have been trying for a year and a half. I have unexplained IF (AMH is 2.08, FSH is 8), and did 6 medicated +/- IUI cycles with my RE before moving to IVF. We did an antagonist with EP protocol starting into November, but today they only found 3-4 follicles after 10 days of stims, so we elected to cancel the cycle and start again with a new protocol. I am pretty devastated but trying to remain hopeful. Here is to 2018!
  • Thanks for all the responses about being unexplained! We got our sperm penetration assay test results back today. They were normal and DH's sperm penetrated just fine. So no ICSI needed. Now it feels like we are back to square one, and no closer to understanding what's going on. We were always so focused on his sperm being the problem, and now as far as we know, it's not. Of course that leads to all the obsessive worrying about "great, now it must be my eggs, which is way harder/impossible to fix!" Anyway, thanks for listening to me rant. We just got the news a bit ago, so I'm still processing it all.

Welcome @kiwi2628 ! I'm so sorry to hear about your cycle being cancelled. I'm also trying to stay hopeful!
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN

• @hoffmanr7. We are using Mandel as well. I got my estimate at $3,300. I texted my husband today and said I couldn’t believe how cheap it was. He texted me back saying you realize you just said $3,300 is cheap?! Haha. So glad you can get something back. Every little bit helps! 
  • @kiwi2628 Welcome to our group! So sorry for everything you've had to endure lately! Hopefully 2018 is a fresh good start for us all <3 

@efavell02 Sorry you didn't get any answers today! I was obsessing i the vitamin isle today wondering what else can I add for potential egg quality. The struggle is real! AF should be here any day now. Bright side she reminds me again why we must proceed. In my fantasy world, I keep wishing I could be that period about to start IVF and get a miracle. Then I wake up lol
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @KristoKekerooni welcome over here! Honestly, I have mostly been staying in my monthly IVF group, so its not too overwhelming. Last month having people to ask questions to was the best, so hopefully here any IVF veterans (or myself!) can answer any questions you or anyone else has. We can do this!
    edited December 2017
    @KristoKekerooni Welcome!! Ditto what kiwi2628 said! Sometimes it's so much easier to stick to your monthly group than a bunch of them. I some times venture off to check in on people and it can be overwhelming trying to keep up :) We're always here to chat or vent to any time! 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @kristimh80 @kiwi2628 what monthly group are you referring to? Is there a monthly board that is already set up?

PS we got approved for the guarantee program today! The financial side of it all is so hard; I know everyone feels different about those guarantee programs, but it helps me feel more secure.
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN

• @efavell02 this is one of the monthly groups- the January IVF group (as opposed to the december month or november etc...). I guess it would have been more accurate to say that we stay in our monthly thread. Thats what we are talking about. Specifically for @KristoKekerooni since we both from from the TTGP board and people tend to be a lot more active between different threads as opposed to here where people are typically only active in one or two threads.
  • @kiwi2628 That makes sense! Thanks! I'm new to posting on discussion boards, so it gets confusing sometimes. haha

Welcome @beachbunnyxo123 ! I know what you mean with it all sinking in. I hadn't ever posted in a discussion thread before now because it all felt manageable on my own, but with IVF, things are getting real. Felt like I needed support from some awesome ladies that are going through the same thing. I think maybe the couple of friends that I tell TTC stuff to are getting kinda sick of hearing about it after 2 years (I don't have any evidence for that, I just worry they are getting sick of hearing about it :)

Even though I'm not excited about IVF, I'm really excited to be able to share things with you guys in the months ahead!
    TTC since May 2016
    MC November 2016
    Summer 2017, started IUI
    IUI #1 - natural, BFN

• Hi everyone! I will be going in for my second IVF in January too. We are using a donor due to MFI and went through 3 natural IUIs early in the year. The third one took but sadly ended in an ectopic and a removed right tube. I did my first IVF in July and was on the antagonist protocol with Lupron trigger. 17 eggs were retrieved, but only 9 were mature and 8 fertilized. I ended up with two six day blastocysts of excellent and very good quality but my August fresh transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy and the FET last month was a BFN. The whole journey takes quite a toll physically and emotionally and the waiting is nerve breaking. I'm going to turn 38 this month and all my tests seem to be ok. We are trying for a sibling for our 2 year old daughter. I wish success to everybody and am glad to be in good company for the wait.
  • thanks for the welcome, friends. 

So, I submitted all the meds for a prior auth through my insurance, since they do cover the meds for IUI, so I was hopeful about IVF... turns out, they "might" cover the meds if I try 3 clomid cycles first... which I only had done twice. I theoretically have time for one more (we are starting IVF the cycle after next), but by the time I do the clomid and resubmit, it's cutting it a bit too close-this prior auth took quite a while. I'm afraid to push off buying meds for a "maybe." 
    Anyone have opinions? I had not banked on meds costing this much-ouch!
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @KristoKekerooni Ugh, I'm so sorry. Luckily, you do have medicine coverage, so maybe it would be worth looking into. We keep holding off buying our meds; at least til they give us a real schedule / timeline. I thought I was going to pass out when the pharmacy called me lol If it took me trying clomid once more just for them to pay 5k, I probably would. Even if just did a simple TI cycle. Do they make you do monitoring during clomid or can you just get the meds at the pharmacy? 

@sidilly Welcome!! So sorry for all your heartache this year. Hopefully, January will be a new beginning / fresh start for you <3 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @KristoKekerooni I would talk to your doctor and see if they keep any meds on hand. Thats what we did with my current cycle- I started estrogen priming while on my 6th medicated cycle (that my insurance required to do IVF) and then I jumped right into my IVF cycle with meds from my doctor. I then bought the meds once my insurance had gone through (on like stim day 7) and just gave those meds to my doctor to replace the ones I had borrowed from them. 
  • @J1006 I actually LOL'd when I read your reply.  I definitely have had that one moment where I thought.....did I actually just call that cheap?!?!?!  I guess it's all about perspective. 
    Unexplained Infertility

• @kristimh80 - Ugh, The issue is that the RE is raising IVF prices, so if we delay even a month, we lose current pricing! I have been able to look at some pricing, and I have gotten a pretty good reduction in costs, if I get the meds from like, five different pharmacies. Haha. 

@kiwi2628 - Great idea, but I'm a travel patient... my clinic is across the country. 
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• PS, if anyone wants to take a look at my handwork and save yourself some leg work, here is my cost comparison. 
     (attached)

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @KristoKekerooni I would still contact them and see. If it can save you a few thousand and you pay for shipping, they may be willing to ship to you
  • @kiwi2628 - I sure will! <3 

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• Thanks everyone!  <3<3

@efavell02  I feel the same way with my friends. All are fertile myrtles and get KU super quick so no one can relate and say many things that are upsetting although they don’t realize it!

@sidilly  welcome!!

@KristoKekerooni ah that’s a tough one especially since you have waited such a long time for this and I’m sure are eager to start!  I think @kiwi2628 had a great idea maybe that could be an option! I’m all OOP for meds and IVF but if I were in your shoes I’d probably try to get the coverage unless all other aspects of IVF are covered under insurance then maybe I’d splurge on the meds. I can’t open your glorious spreadsheet!!! This is one of the many reasons I love you!!!! 
  • @beachbunnyxo123 , Yeah, I am so eager, and I know that's playing a big part. 

Here is a screenshot, it's so tiny, but *shrug*

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited December 2017
    Reading that price list from @KristoKekerooni makes me remember why I both love and hate the american medical system. The system we have is why so many medical treatments, breakthroughs and new medications are created in America, and without our system, medicine in general would be an estimated 15-20 years behind what it currently is. On the flip side, however, or system literally binds itself and creates artificial inflation of prices and de facto monopolies/alliances with such severe price gouging that its practically criminal. It is such a blessing and, simultaneously, a curse.