April 2018 Moms

Weekly Randoms- 10/30

124»

Re: Weekly Randoms- 10/30

• @sparklingdiamond I'm sorry that you're feeling scared again... did something happen that changed things, or are you having a return of your fears?
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Loading the player...
  • @sparklingdiamond I’m sorry to hear you are stressing right now. When is your appointment? Will they be able to tell you for sure what is going on at this next visit? 
  • @sparklingdiamond I'm so sorry you are going through this. Waiting is so scary. I really notre your appointment goes well. 
  • @frenchiekinplusone ahhhhh! That sounds awful
  • @sparklingdiamond thinking of you and hoping for great results and most importantly peace of mind next week. Hope you're able to find something calming/relaxing to do this weekend. 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • Porch update: my husband just left to drop off the check to the carpenter. It makes me nervous that he wanted to go alone and I'm PRAYING there's no confrontation. I'm not worried it'll get physical or anything, but it'll make things so freaking awkward between everyone. 

• I just added a plush porg to the baby registry
  • We're taking family pictures while in Hawaii for Thanksgiving. I'm looking at DS's summer stuff and it all looks very worn after a lot of wears. Anyone have recs for kids clothing stores that have summer stuff online year round? I'm mostly just finding plain tshirts. 
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited November 2017
    @Puddlewonderful Janie & Jack usually has "resort wear" available online year round. They may also have some summer clothes from this past season on sale. They're not exactly cheap, but the clothes are super cute for pictures. 

ETA: check out Nordstrom as well. 
  • @kmalls I’m so mad for you. I would have ripped that check up in that guys face. HE is lucky you followed through with payment at all! What a jerk. 
  • @Puddlewonderful if you have a Gymboree near you, a lot are going to be closed soon so they are clearing all leftovers clothes. At my store it's only summer stuff 
  • I've got another random that has me feeling like an ass. My BIL and SIL are having a baby any day now - she was due 10/25. We bought a plane ticket to go visit for Veterans Day weekend thinking we'd be visiting a 1-2 week old baby. Well, obviously at this point she'll be max 5 days old if she were born today. I feel terrible because I'm guessing my SIL won't want us around that early, but we would lose $600 from the plane tickets if we don't go.

I'm looking at booking a hotel just in case at this point because I hate the idea of them not being comfortable having us in their house. It's their first baby so I just don't know how they'll be feeling. I want to help with meals and laundry etc. but also give them the space they need. 

Any advice on how to make this the least stepping-in-it situation as possible? 
  • Thanks @kmalls, that's where I'm leaning too. DH keeps saying they have a huge house and we can stay out of their way but it's his brother so I think he's thinking as a brother and not a considerate houseguest. 
  • @Puddlewonderful I definitely agree that getting a hotel would be the best call. I would want at least some alone time with my husband and baby for the first few days/week. My best friend’s mom booked a flight out to visit her within two weeks after their babies due date (without really talking to her about it) and I remember she was stressed out about the thought of the baby coming late and her mom being there at the house. I personally told all my friends and family no visitors until mid May. However, I definitely think you should still go because I’m sure they will still appreciate having some help. Especially if they don’t have any other family nearby. 
  • @Puddlewonderful I agree that getting a hotel is the best move.  My DD was almost two weeks late, and my relatives ran into the same problem (visited when she was 3 days old).  I was struggling with getting BFing down, and my daughter wanted to nurse every 2 minutes. Worst part was my sister brought her then 2 year old along.  So horrible.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Haha @ngolimento we will have our two year old DS with us. So yeah, just booked a hotel! Spending an extra few hundred dollars to avoid wasting a few hundred dollars...sigh. 
  • @puddlewonderful I think the hotel was a smart move! My bestie loves all the company even just after birth. I am so not like that. I didn't even want a meal sign up because I just couldn't people right away. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @kmalls I'm mad for you.  Especially since SO is in the trades and most of our friends and local family.  Noone we know would ever do something like that, charge for work they clearly didn't do etc.  I'm glad you made the right call but totally agree that 700 isn't chump change and your DH had every right to confront him for what he did.  Glad you are getting it finished but what an awful thing to be put through!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ngolimento It makes me want to hide in my house and not leave. Like at the grocery store I'm thinking where would I go, what would I do if someone came here and tried to shoot up the store? How do I protect DS from this?
  • @kmalls Well I do actually agree that there are a lot of mental health issues in the US.  A sane person doesn't just pick up a gun and start killing people.  But usually those types of people aren't the ones who will go get help anyways.  I just feel strongly about this since my mom is an LPC.  But obviously, gun control is a big issue as well.

Also, I think people just like to know why people did things.  I certainly wanted to know why that guy decided to open fire in Vegas.  I mean, it shouldn't be the main focus, but I think people are always searching for answers.  That's just my 2 cents.
  • @sparklingdiamond people across the globe struggle with mental health. Its a universal issue, unfortunately. But only in the US is there such unfettered access to guns that those who have no business accessing them, can. 
  • @kmalls Oh yea, I totally agree there.
  • @kmalls Well I do actually agree that there are a lot of mental health issues in the US.  A sane person doesn't just pick up a gun and start killing people.  But usually those types of people aren't the ones who will go get help anyways.  I just feel strongly about this since my mom is an LPC.  But obviously, gun control is a big issue as well.

Also, I think people just like to know why people did things.  I certainly wanted to know why that guy decided to open fire in Vegas.  I mean, it shouldn't be the main focus, but I think people are always searching for answers.  That's just my 2 cents.
    I'm a licensed clinical social worker and I do outpatient adult psychotherapy. I agree that we have a major issue in the county when it comes to access to care but I seriously cringe when mental health gets brought up after these shootings. The truth is most people who suffer from mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence then the perpetrators. I have been seeing patients for 7 years now and I can count on one hand how many people I have seen who have endorsed any type of homicidal ideation. Being "sane" or "insane" in a clinical sense is a very specific diagnosis and yes... sane people actually DO pick up guns and start killing people. I agree that they are disturbed and there is something seriously pathological going on but @sparklingdiamond you are right that a lot of those people won't reach out for help... it's a sad situation all around. 

• JJMNO1616 said:
    @kmalls Well I do actually agree that there are a lot of mental health issues in the US.  A sane person doesn't just pick up a gun and start killing people.  But usually those types of people aren't the ones who will go get help anyways.  I just feel strongly about this since my mom is an LPC.  But obviously, gun control is a big issue as well.

I'm a licensed clinical social worker and I do outpatient adult psychotherapy. I agree that we have a major issue in the county when it comes to access to care but I seriously cringe when mental health gets brought up after these shootings. The truth is most people who suffer from mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence then the perpetrators. I have been seeing patients for 7 years now and I can count on one hand how many people I have seen who have endorsed any type of homicidal ideation. Being "sane" or "insane" in a clinical sense is a very specific diagnosis and yes... sane people actually DO pick up guns and start killing people. I agree that they are disturbed and there is something seriously pathological going on but @sparklingdiamond you are right that a lot of those people won't reach out for help... it's a sad situation all around. 

Such a powerful point @JJMNO1616 and one that our country's legislatures seem to refuse to address. I absolutely mental health as playing a role, but its clearly bigger than that.

Our legislatures don't seem to agree... "This is a mental health issue in the US!!! What, you want us to pay for people to get help..?? Are you crazy? OMG, now you expect us to restrict access to guns since we won't address mental health?? You ARE CRAZY."

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker