January 2018 Moms

Glucose Test

Re: Glucose Test

• caseyw8784caseyw8784 member
    edited October 2017
    I didn't get to do it today! :anguished:
    I took the drink (tasted decent just really really sugary, obv) and was at the doctor's office at the right time, but the blood lab guy wasn't in his office for a while (i guess he was drawing blood from a few ladies who had to lie down so they wouldn't faint so he was in another room) and by the time that he got to me, it was 30 minutes past the blood draw time! I have an ultrasound appointment in 2 weeks so they gave me another bottle of the orange liquid and will re-do it then... 

ETA: i didn't have any issues when drinking it (no headache or lightheadedness or anything) but a few hour later i had one of the biggest sugar crashes i've ever had...anyone else have one too? 
  • @caseyw8784 Yes, definitely had the sugar crash. I also got a headache during it, but not too bad, and i got "gut rot" from all that sugar. I thought it tasted disgusting though. All i wanted was a salad and some water afterward! haha
  • Loading the player...
  • @caseyw8784 oh no! I can't imagine having to wait around that long only to no be able to do it. I probably would've gotten upset. And definitely yes to the sugar crash.

I'm kind of surprised at how different offices have different numbers! My clinic goes with a cutoff of 140, I passed with DD at a 138. This time got 113.
  • Considering normal fasting blood sugar is up to 100, I'm really surprised at the cut off for the 1 hour glucose test. For that reason, it isn't surprising to me the amount of people who fail the 1 hour then pass the 3 hour. We used to take our blood sugars (with a glucometer) at work for fun after eating sugary foods. I remember i took mine right after eating a box of licorice, and it was 150. Well, that's not good, but i don't have diabetes, so it means nothing really. I'm guessing my numbers for the 1 hour will be similar, but again, it doesn't mean i have diabetes. Bring on the 3 hour test i guess. Oh well haha. 
  • @Eags yes the last thing I need is more constipation! My dr recommended a liquid iron supplement called floridax (I think). I’m going to try and find it at Whole Foods tomorrow. Hopefully it will be better. 
  • My MW is comfortable with me declining the 1hr glucose test and instead She ordered a hemaglobin A1C and a random glucose. I’m a nurse so I’ve done a few other random blood sugar checks at work as well and I always run quite low. I’m not sad to miss the orange syrup, I’m not a sugary drink fan, I don’t even like juice of any kind. 
  • @schaze - my office's cut-off level is 130. i was a bit surprised cause it seems most places that i've seen are 140...
    and I don't know if it was cuase i was on a sugar high, but i wasn't *that* upset about the timing screw up. I was just happy that i could get out of there lol! at least now i know that doing the test again isn't the worst thing in the world...except for that sugar crash and feeling rotten for the rest of the night...i did not like feeling like that for the rest of the day!!
  • My doctor told me to have no carbs the day of the test, since I can't fast (have to go after work). Any suggestions on what to eat that's carb free???
  • @jenniferrose44 I'd go for protein to get you through the day then.
    Breakfast- omelette
    Lunch- salad w chicken
    Snack- yogurt or cheese & nuts
    Maybe not 100% carb free (depends a lot on the yogurt I guess) but close? That's rough, my doctor only said don't eat something carb-heavy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @KatieEl positive vibes your way love! 
  • You got this @KatieEl!  
  • Failed my 1 hour :(  waiting for them to contact me about taking the 3 hour. 

Good luck today, @KatieE!
  • Before my test I had a breakfast burrito (sausage, scrambled egg, onion, cheese in a flour tortilla) and half a cup of coffee with cream, and a ton of water. They did let me sip on water during the hour after I drank the orange stuff, but they gave me about 6 oz only, so it was really sipping.
  • Sitting in the office waiting for my 1 hour draw. The orange drink was WAY less nasty than the fruit punch I took last time. I was so worried about gagging or losing it but it went down fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Good luck to everyone taking the test this week!
  • KatieElKatieEl member
    edited October 2017
    @bainidhedub so funny: They just fave me fruit punch and I thought it was better than the orange!  :D

edited: words are hard
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Good luck @KatieEl !
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• I took one at 16 weeks (had GD with my August 2015 daughter) and passed. Just took my 28 week one last Thursday and I bombed. I have to go for a 3 hr one this Thursday but honestly, it’s going to be a waste of time because I most likely have it
  • Just over here obsessively refreshing labcorp's website like they're going to have my test results already.  I am ridiculous. 
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • So my patient portal is still not showing my results, it will be 2 weeks on Wednesday since my test. I'm assuming if I failed they would have called me by now....
  • @burnsmommy27 that's nuts! I would assume no news is good news, but I'm also neurotic so I'd probably call lol
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • My doctor said it's going to take a week to get the lab results?! That sounds stupid so I'm checking Patient Portal already. Also I would kind of like to know why they had to take 4 vials for just (as far as I'm aware) glucose and anemia tests.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @burnsmommy27 wow, that's crazy! There was a big mix-up with my pregnancy test at the clinic with DD and I didn't get results for 4 days before I finally called, so now I just always always call  :D
  • I feel like every blood test for this pregnancy has gotten messed up. Whether at Sonora quest lab or at the clinic lab. I wouldn't be surprised if it got lost.
  • Welp....failed the 1 hour, got a 167. Probably shouldn't have eaten right before going to take the test, but i was hungry! Now i have to do the 3 hour, and i have to fast, so i'm dreading that. I do not do well missing breakfast, this will be interesting...sigh...
  • Scheduled my glucose for 28 weeks (in two weeks) and my only thought when she told me the date was "Thank god it's not Halloween week" lol 
  • @bainidhedub @burnsmommy27 I had my results in like three hours. I would think a week is way too long! 
  • I did the one hour on October 13th and found out yesterday I passed with flying colors! Doctor did not tell me any numbers but said everything came back great. I have been terrible lately with what I eat... So I was very thankful to pass! Time to get back on track!
  • @sjb2215 I take my iron every other day and it seems to help. Is that maybe an option?
  • @sjb2215 I take slow Fe. It's a slow release and I take it every other day, actually just MWF since that's easier to remember. I've not ever had big problems with it. I also have some Raisin Bran a few times a week bc i like it, and I'm sure that helps. 
  • @sjb2215 I take Natural Calm, it’s a magnesium supplement, when I can tell I’m getting backed up. (Which is daily these days). I’ve found it works better than miralax 

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• We had our appointment with the dietician monday and I started my 4 times a day finger pricks and new way of eating....my numbers have been amazing the last 2 days... But today I woke up sick, and numbers are high. Sigh :(