January 2018 Moms

Glucose Test

Re: Glucose Test

• Oh my gosh.. 4 finger pricks a day! Thinking of all you Mama's that have to deal with this crappy part of pregnancy! I took my test yesterday and should have results today! Of course I was given two tests.. The other results are up but not the glucose test! Boo!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I failed!! 3 hour tomorrow morning!! Ugh!!
  • Oh, no! Good luck, @garykayla!

Mine is tomorrow. Today was DD’s Halloween party, so she has a bag of candy. I want some, but am resisting (so far)!
  • @garykayla good luck tomorrow!
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Question for everyone that has done the test so far.  I asked the nurse if there were any restrictions walking into the test and she said I just couldn't eat or drink during the hour I wait for blood draw.  No fasting or anything beforehand.  When I told my friends that that did theirs recently they said they had to fast for at least 2 hrs before or something.  Should I be concerned I didn't get the same restrictions or is it just a preference for testing facilities or OBs?
  • @conineml - it seems to vary by practice/lab. I didn't have to fast, my doctor just said to avoid sugary or carb heavy foods before hand and to instead eat a protein rich breakfast (my appointment was in the morning but my friend who has the same doctor got the same guidelines for her afternoon appointment). My co-worker's wife just had hers done too and her practice did make her fast before hand. 
  • @garykayla good luck today!

@conineml everything @gusgus14 said. I was told not to fast, but to avoid sugary foods the day or two leading up to my test, then to have a protein rich breakfast the morning of. Every office/OB is different though.
  • @gusgus14 and @schaze thanks so much!  That makes me feel better that others didn't get a restriction either!
  • @conineml I was told to just eat normal the week before, and even the morning before my appointment to eat what I normally would eat. The point isn't to trick the test to pass. You want accurate results. Thats what they said, so I didn't fast. I ate oatmeal the morning before my appointment and waited to drink my coffee till after, which is around the time I'd normally have my coffee anyway.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @conineml Same as @supercoolstephy I was told to just eat and drink normally for the 1-hr screener.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• @conineml my midwife did have me fast for 3 hours, but also said that if I was starving I could have a small snack like a cheese stick or handful of almonds that wouldn't mess with my test results. My sister fasted with one of her girls but not the other, so it definitely depends on the facility/provider. 
  • Ok all of this makes me feel better!  My test is in the afternoon so more than likely I will have unintentionally fasted from lunch to then but didn't want to show up and them be like 'oh you haven't fasted...come back another time for your test'  I was having a bit of a panic this morning after talking to my friend about it!  Thanks ladies!
  • @conineml Your question has been answered well already but I'll just add that my OB didn't tell me to do a thing. She just told me at my next appt we'd also be doing the 1hr glucose test. I ate completely normal. 
  • I did my glucose test on Friday. Will hopefully have results today. I'm so nervous, basically everyone on my mom's side is diabetic so my chances of failing are higher. I'm hoping to stuff my face with Halloween candy later 
  • At my 3 hour test and they didn’t even have the drink refrigerated. I feel so nauseous it was so freaking disgusting . Praying this goes by fast. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• @PhillymommaX2 Not refrigerated???? Ugh. I'm so sorry.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Mine were never refrigerated, but I could imagine how much better it would have been even kind of cold!! Good luck today @leeeahyo!
  • @PhillymommaX2 Mine wasn't refrigerated either, which I found extra insulting given that it says RIGHT ON THE BOTTLE that chilling it makes it more palatable! Like c'mon guys!!!
  • @PhillymommaX2 @aleedee oh my gosh I cannot imagine drinking that mess at room temperature!!! I felt pretty crappy after drinking it cold though. It's double the sugar of the 1 hour one--straight syrup! Good luck to you!

@TInman87 thank you! 
  • When I had to do this last time they had it refrigerated so I expected it again but nope! After the first hour the nausea went away. Good luck to all of you!!

• Not refrigerated?!? That's crazy to me. 
  • Question: How long would you all wait before calling to get the results? I mean, I assume no news is good news, but they also never specified that. I had mine done last Thursday and am getting anxious.
  • leeeahyoleeeahyo member
    edited November 2017
    @lmmjd any test results for me I can access on a patient portal/online chart type thing! They showed up on there for me in the middle of the night, so I have likely viewed them before any of my providers have. You could call just to check and ease your mind! 

ETA: I took the test Monday, they came in pretty quickly! 
  • lmmjd said:
    Question: How long would you all wait before calling to get the results? I mean, I assume no news is good news, but they also never specified that. I had mine done last Thursday and am getting anxious.
    My one hour took 48 hours. My three hours has been sent to my doctor’s office and will be available at 4:11pm for me to view at that time if  I don’t hear from the doctor by then. I did the test Monday morning. You can log on to labcorp or quest to view your results if you went there for the test. 

• @lmmjd my 3 hour took less than 24 hours to get to sent to my provider; I'd follow up.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • @lmmjd I waited for the online portal to post them, they didn't so I called yesterday around 1 and the nurse gave me my info.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just viewed my results on Labcorp and the one hour draw was high but the fasting, 2, and 3 hour draws were normal. Does this mean I passed? The nurses’ line is closed now and I have a regular appt tomorrow anyway but I want to know now lol

• @PhillymommaX2 - don't quote me on this, but i THINK i heard/read that 2 of the draws have to be high to be considered a "fail"....so you *should* be ok. FX for tomorrow and looking forward to what your doctor says! :smile:
  • I couldn't imagine taking that nasty drink unless it's cold. It's bad enough then but hot would be so bad. 

I had to take it twice, once at a twenty something week appointment because they wanted an early one. And then one yesterday. 

I passed them both!! I was so nervous about them. No more glucose!
  • @PhillymommaX2 I failed my first by 2 points, was right on the second, and passed the 3rd draw, they considered me a fail. :/
  • PhillymommaX2PhillymommaX2 member
    edited November 2017
    So I did pass but since I failed one of the draws, he really wants me to cut back on a lot of sugar. Which will be very hard for me  :#

• Yeah, i totally failed the 3 hour :( I've never even had a fasting blood sugar that high in my life either (it was 102), so that's kinda scary. I was doing some research on what's going on here, since no one in my family has diabetes and I've never had an issue either, and I read that the hormones that the placenta puts out block insulin, so if you have a weaker pancreas or don't produce enough insulin then it can't compensate. Well, I did some damage to my pancreas a few years ago when i had pancreatitis and didn't get it treated for a few months, and the doctor at the time told me i might have damaged my pancreas, but now i'm seriously concerned this is going to be a precursor to type II diabetes. OB referred me to an endocrinologist/nutritionist but the earliest appointment they have is in mid December, like seriously, what's the point at that point? So i just bought a glucometer and i'll take my blood sugar a few times a day and see where we're at in the meantime. Kinda worried and getting down on myself, but i'll live.