June 2016 Moms

Milestones!

12346»

Re: Milestones!

• We had Damien's 15-month appt with the ped yesterday and the one thing she noted, which I've mentioned to you guys before, is that he hasn't said his first word(s) yet and doesn't make animal sound associations either. She didn't seem too concerned but encouraged us to continue having conversations with him, emphasizing key words, keep reading with him, etc. Basically keep doing what we're doing. She's wants him saying a few words by 18 months (I've read that as well) so until then, there's no need for concern. The dr would have been more worried if he wasn't responding to us calling his name, listening and following basic commands, etc. but since he does all of that, she says to give him a bit more time.
    Glad to hear that there is no cause for concern yet! Also, isn't it the case that emerging bilingual children can sometimes take a little longer to talk? If Damien is learning both English and French, it makes sense that it would take some time to straighten it all out, but it will have a huge pay-off in the long term.
  • annaf2011 said:
    We had Damien's 15-month appt with the ped yesterday and the one thing she noted, which I've mentioned to you guys before, is that he hasn't said his first word(s) yet and doesn't make animal sound associations either. She didn't seem too concerned but encouraged us to continue having conversations with him, emphasizing key words, keep reading with him, etc. Basically keep doing what we're doing. She's wants him saying a few words by 18 months (I've read that as well) so until then, there's no need for concern. The dr would have been more worried if he wasn't responding to us calling his name, listening and following basic commands, etc. but since he does all of that, she says to give him a bit more time.
    Glad to hear that there is no cause for concern yet! Also, isn't it the case that emerging bilingual children can sometimes take a little longer to talk? If Damien is learning both English and French, it makes sense that it would take some time to straighten it all out, but it will have a huge pay-off in the long term.
    I've heard that as well about children growing up in bilingual homes, so we're thinking that might be the case for Damien. The ped didn't bring up that theory but either way, I'm not too worried at the moment. I'm very grateful that he'll be know more than 1 language, hoping to throw in some Spanish early on too at some point. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @vintagevix2016 we just had Alyssa's 15 month wellness too and doctor said same thing pretty much. Alyssa also hasn't said her first words she babbles mama when she wants me I don't think she knows dada is but he is in military and was deployed for 6 months. Other then that she just makes sounds. She also follows basic commands like can I have it or come here. She knows her name and stuff. But doctor said if at 18 months she hasn't progressed doctor will want her to see a therapist. I hope she starts saying more soon because it's starting to worry me. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Tristan had his 15 month today and he is only in the 10th percentile for height and weight but has now jumped to 26th for head circumference... The kid is just small :# I think he gets this from me....I was always under the growth chart as a child. Hasn't hit 20lbs yet. It probably doesn't help that he has started walking now too.  We just feed him all the food.  This may be a FFFC but I try to feed him whatever regardless of sugar, fat, etc. Just looking for calories.  We are doing okay on words, not great.  We got two for sure, uh-oh and all done, and like two others...outside and downstairs, two of his favorite places.  No mama and no papa.  He will make the nom nom nom sound which sounds like mama, but I know what he is really doing because he only says it around food.  Good job Mama for teaching him that!!  Lol, oh well.  He understands things so well and I can see him making connections when we say things.  He is learning body parts too, which is adorable.  Now I just need to deal with new, not so awesome sleep habits.  Kid was an amazing sleeper and now not so much.  Add this to pregnancy insomnia and I am one tired lady.
  • Damien took his first unassisted steps this evening. He was so proud of himself (we were too, of course). 
    Yay Damien!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • LO started walking two weeks ago and now he's gotten fast. Still falling and stumbling, though
  • I think we have our first word! Is uh oh a word? He also ran for the first time today which was crazy to see someone so small moving so fast
  • kay12321 said:
    I think we have our first word! Is uh oh a word? He also ran for the first time today which was crazy to see someone so small moving so fast
    How do your kids say words already? Lol mine just babbles still. "Nana?" or "Teta?" or "Mama?" or "Dadda?" but they're not tied to any object. It's all still random.
  • kay12321 said:
    I think we have our first word! Is uh oh a word? He also ran for the first time today which was crazy to see someone so small moving so fast
    How do your kids say words already? Lol mine just babbles still. "Nana?" or "Teta?" or "Mama?" or "Dadda?" but they're not tied to any object. It's all still random.
    Damien's still wordless, just a whole lotta babbling, I love it though. His babbles make me laugh and the more I live and converse, the more he does it. I'm not worried though, he has a clear understanding of things we say at this point like, "Go get your bunny," or "Drink your milk," or "Where is Poopie (our dog's nickname)?" Ped said it isn't something to be too concerned about until he hits 18 months. 
  • @Delitachan I think if used in proper context uh-oh can definitely count.  Tristan currently appropriately uses uh-oh and all done. He will also try to imitate the words for outside and downstairs, but those are not very clear.  He babbles a lot and loves to copy some of our noises.  The best one is when he copies DH gargling and spitting.  He laughs everytime and makes us laugh too.
  • egirl1025 said:
    @Delitachan I think if used in proper context uh-oh can definitely count.  Tristan currently appropriately uses uh-oh and all done. He will also try to imitate the words for outside and downstairs, but those are not very clear.  He babbles a lot and loves to copy some of our noises.  The best one is when he copies DH gargling and spitting.  He laughs everytime and makes us laugh too.
    I love when Damien tries to mimic animal noises when I go over them with him. His favorite is the turkey. Cracks me up.
  • kay12321 said:
    Savannah doesn't have a lot of words, but if you give her a book with say "buh" consistently. She will say baba for bottle, mama for me, da for DH. She will say "duh" for dog or for duck. She will say hi and bye appropriately, and occasionally say no and "yesh" appropriately. But they're not really words as much as they are 1-2 syllable sounds that represent what she wants or sees. I don't know if someone else would understand her the way DH and I do- they may just assume it is all random babbles.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • kay12321 said:
    Savannah doesn't have a lot of words, but if you give her a book with say "buh" consistently. She will say baba for bottle, mama for me, da for DH. She will say "duh" for dog or for duck. She will say hi and bye appropriately, and occasionally say no and "yesh" appropriately. But they're not really words as much as they are 1-2 syllable sounds that represent what she wants or sees. I don't know if someone else would understand her the way DH and I do- they may just assume it is all random babbles.

That's how it is for us.  We know what the sounds mean but no one else would. Like "more" is a drawn out "mo" and "all done" is "a-den" stuff like that.  He "says" a lot of words and even some letters but he doesn't ennunciate well.  
  • kay12321 said:
    George only says uh oh when he's dropped something or knocked something over, but mama, dada etc he doesn't associate with us yet at all
  • laurendiaz02laurendiaz02 member
    edited September 2017
    Ethan says mama, dada, baba, nana (for banana), all done, up, Grandma, grandpa (sounds more like papa) etc.  He also tells the dogs to "get down/sit down" or says that when he wants to get out of the highchair.

Funny story, we were at Albertsons last night and he was in the shopping cart. He wanted out so he starts yelling "GOD DAMN" (which is how he says get down) at the top of his lungs. Haha. We got some stares.  :#   He says GOD DAMN clear as a bell so I'm starting to wonder if that's what he really is saying. Lol!
  • We haven't held back on cursing around Jackie, so I'm just waiting for the day that this happens...
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yea...my husband and I are doing our best to cut-back on the cursing, it's only a matter of time before he picks up on it. Honestly, I don't really care if he curses BUT I know other parents do care and might think he's a bad influence. I don't want something as silly as cursing to keep him from being invited on playdates or parties so we're trying to not talk that way around him. 
  • Ethan says mama, dada, baba, nana (for banana), all done, up, Grandma, grandpa (sounds more like papa) etc.  He also tells the dogs to "get down/sit down" or says that when he wants to get out of the highchair.

Funny story, we were at Albertsons last night and he was in the shopping cart. He wanted out so he starts yelling "GOD DAMN" (which is how he says get down) at the top of his lungs. Haha. We got some stares.  :#   He says GOD DAMN clear as a bell so I'm starting to wonder if that's what he really is saying. Lol!
    My brothers and I all had a good dammit phase around 2.5 yrs. The worst time was when my mom took me to church and I ran around yelling it... Shows how much my dad used that phrase lol.
  • meggyme said:
    We haven't held back on cursing around Jackie, so I'm just waiting for the day that this happens...
    I am renown for my potty mouth. Bad words will occasionally creep out my girls mouths but thankfully it hasn't been too bad.
  • Damien started fully walking a few days ago and ever since then, he is refusing to take his bedtime milk via sippy cup. He will only drink it from his bottle (I always try the sippy cup first). Has anyone else experienced progress in one area and simultaneous regression in another?
  • In the last few days cam has added hi, bye, cup, and no to his vocab. I think he has 9 or 10 words now. Kind of makes up for not wanting to walk ; )
  • I feel like Alyssa has been saying up but had trouble saying the "P" she says it whenever she's climbing something or if I say it she repeats it and it sounds like up but besides that still just mama when she's sad or crying lol. When do you start worrying that they aren't saying much yet? Alyssa will be 16 months old on October 9th and I'm starting to worry. She knows what fan means, follows basic commands for the most part, and claps,points,waves, and gives mommy and daddy kisses but still not saying much.

Her pediatrician mentioned therapy at 18 months but I got a second opinion who said not to worry yet you shouldn't worry until 2. Same with other mom friends that I talk to and I used to work with special needs and autistic kids so maybe that's why Im worrying more. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• edited September 2017
    I feel like Alyssa has been saying up but had trouble saying the "P" she says it whenever she's climbing something or if I say it she repeats it and it sounds like up but besides that still just mama when she's sad or crying lol. When do you start worrying that they aren't saying much yet? Alyssa will be 16 months old on October 9th and I'm starting to worry. She knows what fan means, follows basic commands for the most part, and claps,points,waves, and gives mommy and daddy kisses but still not saying much.

Her pediatrician mentioned therapy at 18 months but I got a second opinion who said not to worry yet you shouldn't worry until 2. Same with other mom friends that I talk to and I used to work with special needs and autistic kids so maybe that's why Im worrying more. 
    Damien wasn't speaking any words or making any word associations at his 15 month appt. Our pediatrician said that we shouldn't worry until he is 18 months. If at that point he isn't saying a single word or making word associations ("What sound does a cow say?" "Mooooo") then we'd need to look into a speech therapist, as well as have his hearing checked out again just to be sure. 

I really wouldn't worry too much about it just yet since she has a clear understanding of certain things you are saying to her, as well as pointing, clapping, etc. 

Edit to say that it's only been in the past week or so that he is clearly saying Dada to mean my husband and Mama for me, as well as Dgdg for our dog (he kinda says Dagdag but the "a" is very soft).
  • I feel like Alyssa has been saying up but had trouble saying the "P" she says it whenever she's climbing something or if I say it she repeats it and it sounds like up but besides that still just mama when she's sad or crying lol. When do you start worrying that they aren't saying much yet? Alyssa will be 16 months old on October 9th and I'm starting to worry. She knows what fan means, follows basic commands for the most part, and claps,points,waves, and gives mommy and daddy kisses but still not saying much.

If she uses a lot of gestures and prefers to point to things she wants, she may just find that easier. Miles still refuses to say the words for most things he learned signs for because the sign is just easier for him. I know he could say the words if he wanted as he's used the letters and sounds in combination for other words, it just takes time.

If you find that you're starting to hear some combinations you recognize, I would emphasize those to build confidence. If you think she's saying 'up', make sure you say the word 'up' every time you pick her up, or she's climbing up. I believe I've seen moms with older kids say that 18 months is a pretty big cognitive leap, including verbal development, so putting a cutoff at 18 months does seem a little premature. There's certainly time before that even, though, no worries
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Thanks ladies starting to feel better. I definitely will continue working with her especially with the word up. She definitely prefers gestures like pointing for getting things she wants and she claps when she does something she's proud of like climbing on and off the couch or for stuff she likes like certain foods. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Thanks ladies starting to feel better. I definitely will continue working with her especially with the word up. She definitely prefers gestures like pointing for getting things she wants and she claps when she does something she's proud of like climbing on and off the couch or for stuff she likes like certain foods. 
    My husband jokes that Damien can say a lot more than he lets on, maybe that's true or maybe not. Who knows! Damien claps when he is proud of something he's done too...he also just randomly claps because he likes to watch my husband and I clap along with him. "Clap, peasants! Clap!"

Apparently my uncle Thomas didn't talk until about 3 and the first time he spoke it was in a complete sentence. He went to boston college and is now an AP English teacher....

I know as a mother it is SO hard not to worry and not to compare. But I really wouldn't worry if the doctor says not to. 

Savannah said about 5 words and then TOTALLY STOPPED and only said mama for like 2-3 weeks, now she says way more. I was so worried!! Her teacher said that many times babies regress while they are having a big mental milestone, and she was totally right.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Thanks ladies for making me feel better Alyssa definitely has started saying up! This morning she ran to the couch pointed up and said up and wanted up on the couch! She is able to climb up herself but if she slips a few times she normally just whines until I help her but this time she looked at me said up and pointed up on couch  <3
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

My LO is in the same spot. He said "dada" and babbled like crazy since he was 5 months old. But he hasn't really said a word yet. Doesn't wave, doesn't point (just reaches for things). I *THINK* my LO is starting to say "banana" but he just says "nana NA-NA?" But then seconds later he'll say that to his sippy cup.
  • This week Preston had a huge jump with words!!!!!  He says Mama, Dada, Baba (grandma), Nini Emmy (Emily), up, down, more, all done, car, bat, ball, no, yeah, ba-poo (bathroom), moomoo (movie), Doo dood (cool dude, when we put sunglasses on), ya-yi (La-Li),  bo bos (blueberries), uh oh, mi (milk), juice, cheese, outside, Wawa (water), and some more that I can't remember.  He can also make sounds for cow, cat, dog, gorilla, monkey, sheep, lion, dolphin, bird, horse, and fish!  He's also started singing along to Old MacDonald and there's a Beethoven song that he sings to himself a lot.  For physical milestones it's like we hit a pause button, hasn't done anything new in like over a month. Not any better at climbing and still woobly at times.
  • This week LO finally moved over full time to his spoutless cup. Hallelujah! 
  • Aaaand LO once again asserts independence. We brush his hair after baths and he refuses this unless he's the one who does it. He gets the brush and brushes his own hair. Then if we do it, he turns his head away. It's "I DO IT OR NO ONE ELSE!"
  • No more crawling up the stairs, only walking. Miles has been walking up the two steps, while holding onto the wall, at my parents house between the living and dining room for a month now. Yesterday he finally had the patience and stamina to make it the entire 9 foot flight at home up to the loft. Tested my patience and nerves to not reach out and grab his hand to help, but he made it by himself and never asked for help.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018