March 2018 Moms
Options

UO 10/5

Re: UO 10/5

• Options
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• Options
    @becausescience I EFFING LOVE CANDY CORN. People think I'm crazy- glad I'm not alone. 

@ShawnnaO my H and I have separate bank accounts....BUT we also have access to each other's accounts and do consider our money to be OURS. if one of us needs something we can count on the other to contribute. I find it easier to manage our own aunts for day to day spending and budgeting. So i guess we land somewhere in the middle?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @hdaley I'm inclined to agree. 
  • Options
    hdaleyhdaley member
    edited October 2017
    You can QFP me all you want.  I won't delete and hide.  I stand behind my comment.  Go ahead quote away - I like seeing my comment being reiterated many times.  Gives more people the opportunity to read it. so thank you @becausescience

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017

• Options
    @becausescience Jesus dude I wasn’t saying you’re a shitty person. I literally said in my comment that it bothers me, too. Chill. 
  • Options
    @becausescience

vague posting works wonders

"UO - people using the term gender when the applicable term is sex"

that way you wouldn't have been targeting one person. 

Just my opinion. 
  • Options
    Yeah I don’t think it’s very kind to call someone out (directly or indirectly) in another thread. I get that this is UO but you can have an UO and still be supportive of another woman who is experiencing a perfectly normal emotion re: the sex of their child. 

On that note, @becausescience I don’t understand why you felt the need to call out @hdaley on her use of “gender” when literally *everyone else* in this thread has done the same thing. I get it - I was a gender & sexuality focus psych major; the conflating of gender & sex drives me nuts - but again, singling out the person who has a differing opinion feels shitty to me. 
    Hmmm... I must have misread this.
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    @becausescience That was my informal way of saying that it feels unnecessarily direct, meaning why target one person when multiple people in the same thread have made the same mistake. I understand that you’re late to the game - I am away from a computer all day for work, so I rarely post on threads in a timely manner. It just read (to me) that you were picking her out because of the rest of the content of her post. 
  • Options
    Thanks again for the quote.  @becausescience.  It's nice to be recognized and hopefully now twice as many people will read it.

And I didn't see you Quote @heatherdubrow with her initial use of "gender."  Only me.  

Let's see if you'll quote me again.  Now it has become a fun game.  Come on do it!  Lol

• Options
    @becausescience I was being facetious. :)
  • Options
    @ksmwalters I understand.  I cringe everytime I read "gender" when it should be "sex."  I'm sorry my comments might have come off as harsh towards you, I know you did agree with my on that part.  :)  This thread has conflicting messages though.  One person doesn't like vague posts and another doesn't like directly calling people out.  So... I'm not sure what course of action is correct.
  • Options
    And my use of the term gender was reiterating your UO opinion that you posted based off of another comment made in another thread.  

• Options
    @hdaley @heatherdubrow was speaking about "gender disappointment"
  • Options
    The main point of my post is that what transpired was shitty and uncalled for.  Whether it be "gender disappointment" or "sex disappointment."  It doesn't change the nature of the action.

• Options
    Can we agree that "gender disappointment" and acting like your child was diagnosed with a terrible disease because of his or her sex organs are two different things?  Nobody is saying that "gender disappointment" isn't an acceptable way to feel.
    Thank you. This was all I was trying to say.
  • Options
    @becausescience no worries; my tone on messages boards can maybe be a little strong. Your post didn’t feel harsh towards me. 

I guess my UO is unless someone is being harmful or cruel, there’s no reason to call them out vaguely or directly. Especially re: feelings and emotions they’re experiencing during this process. Maybe it’s because I’ve been through a *lot* of therapy or because I went to a really hippie-dippy massage school, but I feel like you can respect someone’s emotional state without agreeing with it. There have been plenty of times when I could have posted an UO that was snarky, but why? It doesn’t serve me and it hurts someone else. (Not trying to frame myself as a Zen master; you should hear my brother and I when watching “Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids.”) I guess I’ve just never understood doing it in a public forum. (Again, unless they’re promoting something that is harmful/spreads false information/is hateful/etc.)
  • Options
    @becausescience I don't know your pregnancy/ child rearing history but *tw* I watched my daughter die on a table in front of me and with her, died my dreams for a healthy mother-daughter relationship that I did not have with my emotionally abusive narcissistic mother. If I say that I am worried I may experience G/D if one of my twins is not a girl, I will be damned if anyone invalidates those feelings. I used the word devastated. If anyone chooses to flame me for that they can kick rocks. 
  • Options
    @ksmwalters Does reminding fellow bumpers about the different between sex and gender from time to time count as "hateful or cruel" or helping to prevent "false information."  I'm curious, because I feel like I got reactions like I was being hateful, when that wasn't my intention.

You mentioned you were a "gender & sexuality focus psych major" (in quotes b/c I copied and pasted from your post, not because I don't think it is a real major).  Would you be at all interested in a creating a PSA thread about the difference between the two?  I feel like with your background you'd be able to explain is much better than many of us.  I feel like many people just genuinely don't know there is a difference between gender and sex.
  • Options
    I honestly think this is a clashing of the different cultures TB has created over the years.  A few years ago any disappointment with the sex of the baby would have brought out many comments and dialogue, directly and indirectly.  And, most of it wasn't supportive.  The use of gender to describe sex was corrected quickly and people just learned the appropriate terminology.  Change isn't always bad, but it does take getting use to sometimes.
  • Options
    @becausescience Oh no definitely not! My UO section at the bottom wasn’t directed towards you, it was more about the original GD topic and everyone’s feelings surrounding it. I think correcting people is the right thing to do; I just felt like you were calling out one person out of multiple with your initial post about it. I guess I just felt like if we correct one person let’s correct them all. I’m totally down to create a thread like that! It might not be until later this weekend when I have a minute to sit down and type it all out, but I agree that it would be helpful. (I also might try and dig up some links and books that people can check out if they want to know more.) I’m a massage therapist now so I’m not in the field, but I have a fair amount of knowledge from undergrad and just continued interest since then. 
  • Options
    @ksmwalters I'm actually kinda excited to see what information you have to share.  There is definitely more I can learn.
  • Options
    Can we agree that "gender disappointment" and acting like your child was diagnosed with a terrible disease because of his or her sex organs are two different things?  Nobody is saying that "gender disappointment" isn't an acceptable way to feel.
    I get what you're saying and I think people are communicating well on this point. 

However, I just want to point out that essentially what was said was "a degree of this feeling is ok, but a further end of the spectrum isn't."

It's extremely difficult to share ones feelings to the full extent they are felt. 

It's like saying "I accept people liking bagels. I judge people LOVING bagels." Bad example, but invalidation is invalidation and it's unsupportive. I'm not trying to make anyone right or wrong. It's not right or wrong, just not supportive.