June 2016 Moms

Baby Sleep Questions

1121314151618»

Re: Baby Sleep Questions

• We put him to bed at 8 on Friday and he woke up 9:45am on Saturday. DH just thinks he's going to be one of those lazy kids who gets up at 1 on weekends. DH is like that - before baby, he was up at around 11am or even noon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Guy, guys, guys, guys, guys!!!!! Miles fell asleep last night in his crib without anyone touching him! DH and I were both in the room, and he had his soother on projecting lights on the ceiling to help him calm down, and also it took 30 minutes of telling him to lie down or picking him up and putting him down, but it happened! And he didn't choke himself crying and throw up this time, which is usually where we had to stop in the past.

Didn't help his reemerging waking overnight any, but it's a step in the right direction. Molars don't help the night waking any either, I'm sure

Yay!!!!! Big moment. It gets so much easier from here!  
  • Are your all's babies STTN now? 
    Yeah my LO sleeps from 7:30pm-6am and has been since we did the Ferber method at 12 months
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Jackie usually sleeps through the night (7:00-6:00) she was waking up around 5, but we did CIO and she went back to sleeping until something wakes her in the morning. She's a very light sleeper in the morning.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yep. He hasn't woken up in the MOTN since 5 months (unless he's sick). He sleeps 7-5am. 
  • We are for the most part, but teething is a witch... He even slept till 9:45 Sunday morning!!! WIN!
  • Yea, Damien STTN from 7pm - 6:30am (sometimes it's more like between 6:15 & 6:45am). If he's super congested, he might wake up at some point to have his nose cleared but otherwise we don't have any issues with it.
    Hahahaha, no. I mean... he used to, but something happened in the last month and sleep is a mess now once again. We're starting from scratch and working on getting to sleep, then we'll deal with the night waking again. Any little thing throws him off, so it started with a sinus heavy cold, then turned into molar issues. That child...
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited September 2017
    Are your all's babies STTN now? 
    A lot of the time. He still gets up once a night like once or twice a week though. He sleeps 7:30pm-8 am or 7:30 am if it's a day I work.
  • Yeah normally it's a full 12 hours 8-8 but thanks to teething it's been like 7
  • We generally get a full twelve out of Tristan too.  Lately with teething and the back to school sickness cycle, we have gotten a couple of nights where he wakes up in the middle of the night.  We have been employing a very it out type method where I go back in every ten minutes to check. Usually takes about 30 minutes to get him down.  We try to let him work it out himself, but once the real crying starts we intervene.  
  • Damien's had 2 rough nights in a row and I'm running on fumes. He wakes up and fusses a little bit, which wakes me up and I'm on alert, but quiets down for 15-20mins. Then fusses or babbles for a bit and the cycle goes on for ages. I don't typically go in unless he's full-on crying. Last night he did eventually cry and after changing his diaper, giving him some water, clearing out his nose, making sure he wasn't too hot/cold, I tried to put him back down. He had a tough time settling down and then only slept for about 1.5hrs before waking and fussing. It seems to be that he fully wakes up at around 2-3am and then I'm lucky to get at least a 2hr break but that only happened twice in the past 2 nights. His 2 molars are already in but maybe there are more coming through, disrupting his sleep. Or maybe it's development related. I dunno, just tired. 
  • Damien's had 2 rough nights in a row and I'm running on fumes. He wakes up and fusses a little bit, which wakes me up and I'm on alert, but quiets down for 15-20mins. Then fusses or babbles for a bit and the cycle goes on for ages. I don't typically go in unless he's full-on crying. Last night he did eventually cry and after changing his diaper, giving him some water, clearing out his nose, making sure he wasn't too hot/cold, I tried to put him back down. He had a tough time settling down and then only slept for about 1.5hrs before waking and fussing. It seems to be that he fully wakes up at around 2-3am and then I'm lucky to get at least a 2hr break but that only happened twice in the past 2 nights. His 2 molars are already in but maybe there are more coming through, disrupting his sleep. Or maybe it's development related. I dunno, just tired. 
    So this might be an unpopular opinion, since I remember a poll about baby monitor usage, but I started keeping the baby monitor off. I can hear Jackie crying with both doors closed, but that way I don't hear every grunt and whimper. I'm the same way, I hear something then sit and wait to hear something else until I'm sure she's asleep. Meanwhile she's been asleep for 10mins and I'm still up listening for her. It was my husband's idea to turn off the monitor and although I objected, it's helped a lot.

I still use it on the weekends because sometimes if I hear her waking up and can go feed her she'll fall back asleep for another hour or two.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yeah, our son moved to his own bedroom at 5 months because I couldn't deal with noises and such. We have had him in his own room now since. We close the door to his room but my DH wont let me close our bedroom door. It's been months since LO has woken in the MOTN. *CROSS FINGERS*
  • Oh yea, we had to transition him to his nursery full-time super early on because of all the noises he made during the night. We were losing so much sleep!

We have to sleep with our door closed since our bulldog snores so horrendously loud. Our place is so small that it carries no matter where she sleeps. SInce it's closed, I can't hear him without the monitor and keeping the door open means I have to use earplugs otherwise I can't sleep whatsoever, so then I can't hear him anyway.

I usually keep the monitor volume super low or completely muted since the screen stays blank/dark unless he makes noise. The light from the monitor when he stirs is enough to wake me, but since it's blindingly bright, I keep a sock of it to block a bit of it. If he's really fussing/crying, it stays lit for ages and I know he needs help, but if it's only on for a few seconds, I don't worry about it. The problem is that if he's just babbling and fussing periodically, it will go on for a few seconds, then off for like 15min, then on again for a few seconds, etc. The weird thing is that if I do mute the sound and rely solely on the light, I have to restrict my sleeping position to face towards the monitor, otherwise I won't notice it lighting up (unless I leave it completely uncovered but then my husband wakes because of the light...but that's another story haha).

Anyway, I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.