June 2016 Moms

Baby Sleep Questions

Re: Baby Sleep Questions

• Damien starts daycare in April so during this month I am attempting to get him use to waking up at 7am everyday. I'm not liking it and neither is he. When I wake him up, he just wants to go right back to sleep and is cranky until I put him back down. This morning he was only up for 40min before fussing and my husband was adamant that it was too soon to put him back down. Easy for him to say that since he is walking out the door and doesn't have to deal with the crankiness. I don't like keeping Damien up if he is tired too. If I do, he ends up taking a super short nap once he does go down. Is waking him up even though he doesn't have to yet, a good idea? I want him to get used to it but I also feel like I'm robbing him of sleep by waking him before he wants to.
    With our boys we waited till I went back to work, we felt like there was no reason to make the day more difficult. It'll also be easier when you go back to work because it's not like you're waking him and then hanging out at home. For us it worked best to  wake him, dress him, feed him, and then out the door. My husband took our first to daycare and that was there routine for a while.  Things change as they get older but you'll figure it out as you go. Just make sure you're all ready to go before you get him up and then he'll be getting every bit of sleep he can. His body will adjust and maybe he'll be ready for bed earlier. 
  • Damien starts daycare in April so during this month I am attempting to get him use to waking up at 7am everyday. I'm not liking it and neither is he. When I wake him up, he just wants to go right back to sleep and is cranky until I put him back down. This morning he was only up for 40min before fussing and my husband was adamant that it was too soon to put him back down. Easy for him to say that since he is walking out the door and doesn't have to deal with the crankiness. I don't like keeping Damien up if he is tired too. If I do, he ends up taking a super short nap once he does go down. Is waking him up even though he doesn't have to yet, a good idea? I want him to get used to it but I also feel like I'm robbing him of sleep by waking him before he wants to.
    With our boys we waited till I went back to work, we felt like there was no reason to make the day more difficult. It'll also be easier when you go back to work because it's not like you're waking him and then hanging out at home. For us it worked best to  wake him, dress him, feed him, and then out the door. My husband took our first to daycare and that was there routine for a while.  Things change as they get older but you'll figure it out as you go. Just make sure you're all ready to go before you get him up and then he'll be getting every bit of sleep he can. His body will adjust and maybe he'll be ready for bed earlier. 
    I'm only two days in but yea, I would rather go back to the way we were doing things, made the day more pleasant. My goal is to get ready first and then get him up for sure, assuming he doesn't wake up early. I can usually get him up and ready in great time but I'm giving us an hour just in case he has some rough mornings. Thanks for the reassurance that letting him sleep is just fine...now I gotta convince my husband haha.
  • Loading the player...
    I'm only two days in but yea, I would rather go back to the way we were doing things, made the day more pleasant. My goal is to get ready first and then get him up for sure, assuming he doesn't wake up early. I can usually get him up and ready in great time but I'm giving us an hour just in case he has some rough mornings. Thanks for the reassurance that letting him sleep is just fine...now I gotta convince my husband haha.
    I second the advice. I'm a FTM and I went back to work when LO was 2 1/2 months old. His sleep was still all over the place, so waking up at 6am to get ready for work was a bit hard because he was awake as well and we had to take turns getting ready (hubby and I) and then head out the door at 7am. Now, he's 9 months old and can sleep in until 8-8:30am, but we wake him up at 7:00am to head out the door by 7:10am. I still wake up at 6am and we both get ready, giving LO time to sleep in some. On the weekend, LO just goes back to sleeping until 8-8:30am.
    There's no reason for you to train him for the daycare. He'll adjust. My LO does. He doesn't like waking up at 7am, but then I put him in his carrier with a bottle and by the time he goes to daycare, he is wide-eyed and ready to play. Then again, he loves the other babies and enjoys playing, which is becoming a sort of issue because he's not taking his naps properly. But they tire him out so much that he's in bed by 7-8pm.

Expect your LO to nap poorly over there for a while. There will be lots of noise. O_O
    I second the advice. I'm a FTM and I went back to work when LO was 2 1/2 months old. His sleep was still all over the place, so waking up at 6am to get ready for work was a bit hard because he was awake as well and we had to take turns getting ready (hubby and I) and then head out the door at 7am. Now, he's 9 months old and can sleep in until 8-8:30am, but we wake him up at 7:00am to head out the door by 7:10am. I still wake up at 6am and we both get ready, giving LO time to sleep in some. On the weekend, LO just goes back to sleeping until 8-8:30am.
    There's no reason for you to train him for the daycare. He'll adjust. My LO does. He doesn't like waking up at 7am, but then I put him in his carrier with a bottle and by the time he goes to daycare, he is wide-eyed and ready to play. Then again, he loves the other babies and enjoys playing, which is becoming a sort of issue because he's not taking his naps properly. But they tire him out so much that he's in bed by 7-8pm.

Expect your LO to nap poorly over there for a while. There will be lots of noise. O_O
    That's great info, thanks for sharing! Our daycare has a separate dark room for napping (two way mirrors so that the staff can check on napping babies while in the main room with the other babies). That said, he will probably still not nap well for awhile because it's all new and exciting. 

Do it 10-15 min at a time.  That's how they recommend to get then ready for daylight savings here since the clocks jump up an hour this week.  I would move him up every few days or every week if he is really tired.

Do it 10-15 min at a time.  That's how they recommend to get then ready for daylight savings here since the clocks jump up an hour this week.  I would move him up every few days or every week if he is really tired.
    I toooootally forgot daylight savings is this weekend. 

He usually wakes up between 7:30 and 8:30 each day so fortunately his schedule isn't shifting that much. I just don't want pressure to keep him up if he is tired (like this morning with my husband). Shifting is a good idea and definitely doable.
  • I'm jealous off all the babies that sleep until 7am!?  My son is up at 4:30-5am and is going down for his first nap at 7am. Lol. 
  • edited March 2017
    Damien has been up for an hour at this point (11:10pm). He isn't crying, he is just hanging out in his crib while playing with his feet in the dark. I feel like I can't go to sleep unless he goes back to sleep but he refused my attempts to ease him back to dreamland. So I'm just hanging out in bed, watching him in the monitor. Grand. Could be worse I guess.

Edit: Hour #2 and still no signs of sleep. He drank a few ounces of milk, so there's that at least.
  • Damien has been up for an hour at this point (11:10pm). He isn't crying, he is just hanging out in his crib while playing with his feet in the dark. I feel like I can't go to sleep unless he goes back to sleep but he refused my attempts to ease him back to dreamland. So I'm just hanging out in bed, watching him in the monitor. Grand. Could be worse I guess.

Edit: Hour #2 and still no signs of sleep. He drank a few ounces of milk, so there's that at least.
    Oh that sucks I hope he fell asleep sooner rather then later!
  • Damien has been up for an hour at this point (11:10pm). He isn't crying, he is just hanging out in his crib while playing with his feet in the dark. I feel like I can't go to sleep unless he goes back to sleep but he refused my attempts to ease him back to dreamland. So I'm just hanging out in bed, watching him in the monitor. Grand. Could be worse I guess.

Oh that sucks I hope he fell asleep sooner rather then later!
    He finally did at the 3hr mark but he is waking about every 2hrs. Not crying or anything, just doesn't want to sleep. 
  • @vintagevix2016 I hope tonight goes more smoothly and last night was just random.
  • @vintagevix2016 I hope tonight goes more smoothly and last night was just random.
    Thank you! It's off to a promising start so hopefully it will be a quiet one. My husband took care of him this morning so I at least got to sleep in (11:30am, woohoo). 
  • Anyone hit the 8, 9 or 10 month regression?  Suddenly my garenteed 1.25 hour naps turned into 30 min each!!!
  • Anyone hit the 8, 9 or 10 month regression?  Suddenly my garenteed 1.25 hour naps turned into 30 min each!!!
    I think we are with naps and nighttime to varying degrees. It takes ages to get him down for a nap BUT he doesn't really cry or fuss so that's a plus. Bedtime is similar but with some tears. The real issue is that he wakes up during the night and then doesn't sleep for 1-3 hours. Luckily he just quietly hangs out and eventually falls back to sleep on his own (I tried helping but figured out that I was only making it worse).
  • edited March 2017
    Damien likes to sleep on his tummy with his legs tucked under him (face down butt up haha) these days. Anyone else's LO doing that too? It doesn't look comfortable but he likes it apparently.
  • Damien likes to sleep on his tummy with his legs tucked under him (face down butt up haha) these days. Anyone else's LO doing that too? It doesn't look comfortable but he likes it apparently.

Haha yeah Preston​ did that too. Now he likes being on his side. 
  • Damien likes to sleep on his tummy with his legs tucked under him (face down butt up haha) these days. Anyone else's LO doing that too? It doesn't look comfortable but he likes it apparently.

Haha yeah Preston​ did that too. Now he likes being on his side. 
    Damien was/is a side sleeper too. He just started being okay with sleeping on his tummy in the past couple of weeks. It's nice!
    There are some days when I'll look at the monitor and Jackie will be literally folded in half at the waist. Apparently she's truly made of rubber.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My perfect lil sleeper is now screaming at bedtime and refuses to be put down unless I'm patting him. This is very very odd for us. Even if he doesn't sleep, he quietly rolls in his crib. But now he screams bloody murder. 
    We just got him down and now he's up 30 min later. Wth is going on???
  • My perfect lil sleeper is now screaming at bedtime and refuses to be put down unless I'm patting him. This is very very odd for us. Even if he doesn't sleep, he quietly rolls in his crib. But now he screams bloody murder. 
    We just got him down and now he's up 30 min later. Wth is going on???
    Was it a normal day? Maybe something new in his diet? If he isn't sick or uncomfortable, could be another fun round of sleep regression.
  • Could be sleep regression.  Try not to stray too far from your routine cause it can be hell to fix later (trust me I know lol) 
  • Seemed to be a normal day. He woke up 9am and we went to church, he fell asleep around 12:30pm, got up at 2pm and then went to spend the day with his grandparents (my hubs took him) He said that nothing out of the ordinary happened. He didn't take a 2nd nap, but this has happened before at the daycare. Some days he'll  nap once for 45 min and that's all. He ate his regular gerbers, came home, was sleepy.
    We put him in the crib and about 10 min later, blood curling screams. Even if he wasn't sleepy, he'd always stay in his crib quietly playing with the mobile until he sleeps. This time, it was bad. He didn't settle down unless we picked him up. Hubs took him to the master bedroom to play with the remote controls (he loved them). 15 min later, we took him back to the crib and same thing. Bad.
    I finally went in there and pat his back and he stopped and with my pats, he fell asleep. Woke up 30 min later crying, but that lasted 5 min, then STTN. It was hell.
    The daycare reported that he was requiring to be pat to sleep the last couple of weeks for nap, when he never needed it.
  • edited March 2017
    Seemed to be a normal day. He woke up 9am and we went to church, he fell asleep around 12:30pm, got up at 2pm and then went to spend the day with his grandparents (my hubs took him) He said that nothing out of the ordinary happened. He didn't take a 2nd nap, but this has happened before at the daycare. Some days he'll  nap once for 45 min and that's all. He ate his regular gerbers, came home, was sleepy.
    We put him in the crib and about 10 min later, blood curling screams. Even if he wasn't sleepy, he'd always stay in his crib quietly playing with the mobile until he sleeps. This time, it was bad. He didn't settle down unless we picked him up. Hubs took him to the master bedroom to play with the remote controls (he loved them). 15 min later, we took him back to the crib and same thing. Bad.
    I finally went in there and pat his back and he stopped and with my pats, he fell asleep. Woke up 30 min later crying, but that lasted 5 min, then STTN. It was hell.
    The daycare reported that he was requiring to be pat to sleep the last couple of weeks for nap, when he never needed it.
    If it lasts for several nights (usually 1-4weeks), then it sounds like sleep regression to me. Damien went through a brief period recently like that and it suuuucked. He is doing better now but man did that time require all the patience I could muster. 
  • Yuuuup. So we've been working with a new sleep consultant for the last week or so and I must say bedtime and night wakings have dramatically improved, but naps...... Dear god the naps.  The have a step by step program where you don't have to work on naps till bedtime and nighttime get better.  I have been dreading this day.  Thing is that at night, he at least wants to sleep but just wanted help doing it, but the way he fought naps was he just wanted to play.  So today he fought for an hour before he got overtired then got mad.  In total it took and hour and 45 min to get him down for his nap and he slept only 45 min.  I know it will get better once he realizes that it means naptime and I'm not gonna cave, but it sucked.  Please wish me luck this week! 
  • Yuuuup. So we've been working with a new sleep consultant for the last week or so and I must say bedtime and night wakings have dramatically improved, but naps...... Dear god the naps.  The have a step by step program where you don't have to work on naps till bedtime and nighttime get better.  I have been dreading this day.  Thing is that at night, he at least wants to sleep but just wanted help doing it, but the way he fought naps was he just wanted to play.  So today he fought for an hour before he got overtired then got mad.  In total it took and hour and 45 min to get him down for his nap and he slept only 45 min.  I know it will get better once he realizes that it means naptime and I'm not gonna cave, but it sucked.  Please wish me luck this week! 
    Good luck! I'm glad bedtime is going better at least.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yesterday, LO went to bed at 7:30pm. By the time I'd gotten home, husband had already laid him down. He was fast asleep and didn't wake until 7:00am by me. He's really congested though :( 
    Day care did state that he's still fighting naps.
  • My LO wakes 1-2 hours after bedtime...Every night.  I don't even have to get up bc after about 30 seconds, he goes back to sleep.  Every night.  Then he will most times wake around 3am.  Sometimes I have to get up, sometimes not. Occasionally he wants a bottle but usually those are just pats back to sleep.  I rarely even pick him up.   What is with that?
  • My LO wakes 1-2 hours after bedtime...Every night.  I don't even have to get up bc after about 30 seconds, he goes back to sleep.  Every night.  Then he will most times wake around 3am.  Sometimes I have to get up, sometimes not. Occasionally he wants a bottle but usually those are just pats back to sleep.  I rarely even pick him up.   What is with that?
    Same here!  Ethan has been STTN since 5 months old and now wakes up usually once but sometimes twice a night. He literally wakes up crying, and then stands up in the crib so we go pick him up and he quickly falls back asleep. We don't feed him at night but we have done a diaper change. He wears an overnight diaper so we normally never have to change him. I'm waiting for the night he magically goes back to STTN!
  • Preston would do this pre sleep training whenever he started signs of his next wonder week
  • Abby's doing the same thing! She has been waking up around 3/4 in the mornings crying immediately. I can turn on music remotely using our baby monitor and that puts her back to sleep like half the time. It's so unlike her so I have no idea what's going on. 
  • DS has been taking ridiculously long naps the past two days (two hours each for morning and afternoon.) I'm not upset about this, mind you, just curious if it had happened to anyone else? 
  • DS has been taking ridiculously long naps the past two days (two hours each for morning and afternoon.) I'm not upset about this, mind you, just curious if it had happened to anyone else? 
    Damien went through a long spell where he napped like that, then they tapered off to about 1.5hrs each.
    My usual answer is growth spurt. Don't know if that's true anymore, but it's the old stand by
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Has to be. LO took a whopping 3 hour nap yesterday and two hours later, wanted to nap again.
    Then he slept at 8:30pm and if we hadn't woken him for daycare, he woulda gone until 9am.
  • For the past week Abby won't let me put her down for naps but she'll sleep like usual if I'm holding her. I've tried letting her cry and putting her down earlier/later to no avail. We did the Ferber method at 5 months and haven't had any issues until now. She's not showing any signs of teething or illness. What should my strategy be? I don't mind holding her but I don't want to ruin her good habits. 
  • Savannah has been an AWFUL sleeper recently! She winds up in our bed every night, and now she has started crying when we put her in her crib at night. Ian exhausted!! I wake up for work at 5am and wind up sleeping with her every night just so that I can function. I'm starting to think about doing CIO but just the thought of it breaks my heart.

I am so mad at myself for not establishing better sleep habits early on!!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Damien woke up every hour last night. All he wanted was his nose cleared and a couple oz of milk each time and off he went back to bed. I decided to keep him home from daycare to make sure he naps and hopefully finishes recovering from being sick. I can luckily work from home without issue. His sleep schedule is so wonky the past few weeks, which is totally due to being sick, so I'll be glad to get him back on his usual schedule..
  • Ugh so irritated!!!!! Preston skipped his afternoon nap today for Lord knows why.  DH took him for a job in the stroller to give him fresh air in hopes it will keep him from getting cranky and stay awake, nope, 5 min before they got home he passed out and DH couldn't wake him.  We figured we'd quickly change him and nurse right to sleep for the night since it was already 6.  Well, he woke up while we tried to out his PJs on but I nursed anyway and tried to out him down.  Again, nope, he cried and fussed the whole time, clearly tired but couldn't fall asleep.  We are also still working on some sleep training of getting him used to us leaving the room but that obviously wasn't ok with him today.  DH saw I was getting super upset cause it's the second time today I had to deal with a crying Preston (which is a negative trigger for me) and suggested we start over and let him burn some energy while watching his Beethoven dvd and try again in 30 min.  Hopefully that works cause i just don't have the energy.
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Ugh so irritated!!!!! Preston skipped his afternoon nap today for Lord knows why.  DH took him for a job in the stroller to give him fresh air in hopes it will keep him from getting cranky and stay awake, nope, 5 min before they got home he passed out and DH couldn't wake him.  We figured we'd quickly change him and nurse right to sleep for the night since it was already 6.  Well, he woke up while we tried to out his PJs on but I nursed anyway and tried to out him down.  Again, nope, he cried and fussed the whole time, clearly tired but couldn't fall asleep.  We are also still working on some sleep training of getting him used to us leaving the room but that obviously wasn't ok with him today.  DH saw I was getting super upset cause it's the second time today I had to deal with a crying Preston (which is a negative trigger for me) and suggested we start over and let him burn some energy while watching his Beethoven dvd and try again in 30 min.  Hopefully that works cause i just don't have the energy.
    I hate days/nights like that. Cameron is super crabby so I sent him to go run an errand with my hubby, normally I send the girls. You know your baby is being a crab when you choose to watch two 3yr olds over one 11 month old. Hope the baby Beethoven works for you!
  • Ugh so irritated!!!!! Preston skipped his afternoon nap today for Lord knows why.  DH took him for a job in the stroller to give him fresh air in hopes it will keep him from getting cranky and stay awake, nope, 5 min before they got home he passed out and DH couldn't wake him.  We figured we'd quickly change him and nurse right to sleep for the night since it was already 6.  Well, he woke up while we tried to out his PJs on but I nursed anyway and tried to out him down.  Again, nope, he cried and fussed the whole time, clearly tired but couldn't fall asleep.  We are also still working on some sleep training of getting him used to us leaving the room but that obviously wasn't ok with him today.  DH saw I was getting super upset cause it's the second time today I had to deal with a crying Preston (which is a negative trigger for me) and suggested we start over and let him burn some energy while watching his Beethoven dvd and try again in 30 min.  Hopefully that works cause i just don't have the energy.
    I feel you Charlotte has been really difficult the last few days and it's really hard on me mentally. She's fighting naps and bedtime. I'm not sure if it's just teething but it's wearing on me and it's birthday season in our house. I'm going to try meditation to see if that will help me but if it doesn't I'm going to have to take more anxiety meds. I hope Preston gets back to his old self soon!