June 2016 Moms

Baby Sleep Questions

Re: Baby Sleep Questions

• He goes to bed between 7 and 7:30 so by the time he wakes up at 5, it's close to 10 hours that he sleeps, and when I feed him, he will eat a full meal. He goes back to sleep for a bit after that. That's his typical night though. Lately he has been waking up more and doing the new angry cry that has been throwing me off. He had a decent night the last couple of nights though, so I'm hoping/thinking it's just a phase.
  • So last night we started the chair method and I was shocked that he cried so little.  Yay!  But now I'm nervous.  We are supposed to spend the night at my MIL and we would be putting him to bed then going to our best friend's birthday/Christmas party.  Last time we spent the night away from home, it's when all this crying started.  Now idk if it had to do with the crazy toddler running around, bad timing, or what.  His slept at Grammie's before but idk.  
  • Loading the player...
  • We put Damien down at 6:45pm and he was asleep by 7pm but only stayed that way for about 10mins. He is currently still wide awake in his crib, just rolling around. No crying or fussing...just refuses to sleep. I figure he will eventually pass out on his own, maybe? 
  • We put Damien down at 6:45pm and he was asleep by 7pm but only stayed that way for about 10mins. He is currently still wide awake in his crib, just rolling around. No crying or fussing...just refuses to sleep. I figure he will eventually pass out on his own, maybe? 
     Haha Preston does this in the mornings.  At around 6 almost never day he wakes up and play with his toy then goes back to sleep after 15 min.

Haha Preston does this in the mornings.  At around 6 almost never day he wakes up and play with his toy then goes back to sleep after 15 min.

Damien does that too. Not gonna lie, there have been mornings when I just roll over and sleep another 20mins because I know he just chills for awhile. That's my bad mom moment haha.

Damien does that too. Not gonna lie, there have been mornings when I just roll over and sleep another 20mins because I know he just chills for awhile. That's my bad mom moment haha.
     I did that yesterday where he woke early from nap 1 don't he was playing for 30 min while I finished watching my show.
  • Now that Jackie can sit herself up from lying down she's started doing it at nap time. I really don't want to put her crib mattress down a level.  :'( It also means she's found a new way to fight naps.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    Now that Jackie can sit herself up from lying down she's started doing it at nap time. I really don't want to put her crib mattress down a level.  :'( It also means she's found a new way to fight naps.
     I say as long as she not screaming, let her sit. Lol otherwise you'll be in there constantly trying to get her to lay down.
  • meggyme said:
    Now that Jackie can sit herself up from lying down she's started doing it at nap time. I really don't want to put her crib mattress down a level.  :'( It also means she's found a new way to fight naps.
     I say as long as she not screaming, let her sit. Lol otherwise you'll be in there constantly trying to get her to lay down.
    Mostly she sits and fusses where as before she would settle faster because she was already laying down. More annoying than an actual problem.
  • meggyme said:
    I hate moving the mattress down because it means they are closer to being toddlers and no longer babies. There are great things about toddlers and then there are tantrums.
  • meggyme said:
    I hate moving the mattress down because it means they are closer to being toddlers and no longer babies. There are great things about toddlers and then there are tantrums.
    Oh toddler tantrums... My daughter had a doozy of one in Walmart today lol!
  • Anyone having early rising issues?  Like not getting the full 11-12 hours night sleep?  Preston's bedtime falls after 7 each night and he used to sleep the full 12 hours but since this latest bedtime issues things have changed and he's up at 6am. Turns out our sleep consultant didn't know we've been making the house dim and cozy like an hour before bed to try and get him sleepy and she said that's a no-no cause it sets his circadian rhythm earlier (think the jet lag effect) so we are gonna keep the house bright until right before bed and in a few days, that should help.  Thankfully the screaming at bedtime has stopped so I'm not worried about him winding down.
  • Anyone having early rising issues?  Like not getting the full 11-12 hours night sleep?  Preston's bedtime falls after 7 each night and he used to sleep the full 12 hours but since this latest bedtime issues things have changed and he's up at 6am. Turns out our sleep consultant didn't know we've been making the house dim and cozy like an hour before bed to try and get him sleepy and she said that's a no-no cause it sets his circadian rhythm earlier (think the jet lag effect) so we are gonna keep the house bright until right before bed and in a few days, that should help.  Thankfully the screaming at bedtime has stopped so I'm not worried about him winding down.
    Damien was waking early (between 4:30 and 5:30) every day for several weeks. It didn't matter that he was in bed and asleep by 7/7:30pm. Other than that period, he usually only gets 11hrs at night. I was told 10-12hrs is good so though I wish he would sleep 12hrs just so I can sleep longer, I'm not worried. His usual wake-up is 6-6:30am...minus today since he slept in until 9am! He had a rough night though so I think that's why.
  • Sam generally wakes up around 530 for a bottle and then goes back to sleep. Today he slept until 645.  And he had a couple days this week where he slept until 615. He goes to bed at 730. 
  • So I've noticed that as the weather got colder, his sleep isn't as good in the mornings.  And I notice that there are days where even I wake up cold even under all my blankets and I thought "if I'm cold under these covers, he must be freezing in just his sleeper.  So tonight we put an extra layer and we are gonna keep his door open tlsobthe air circulation is better since a closed room can get chilly in our house, and hopefully this works.  How did I not think about getting g him warmer at night?  I know it's colder these days.  Even if the thermostat says the temp is the same, it certainly doesn't feel like it.  I'll have the house set at 70 and it still feels icey.
  • So I've noticed that as the weather got colder, his sleep isn't as good in the mornings.  And I notice that there are days where even I wake up cold even under all my blankets and I thought "if I'm cold under these covers, he must be freezing in just his sleeper.  So tonight we put an extra layer and we are gonna keep his door open tlsobthe air circulation is better since a closed room can get chilly in our house, and hopefully this works.  How did I not think about getting g him warmer at night?  I know it's colder these days.  Even if the thermostat says the temp is the same, it certainly doesn't feel like it.  I'll have the house set at 70 and it still feels icey.
    I went through that when the cold started creeping in sometime in November. We have temp control in each room and after playing around with the temp for a couple of weeks, the sweet spot is 71.5 for the nusery. He can wear a cotton or fleece footed PJs and be comfortable. I do have a thick sleepsack by Aden & Adais. It's 4 layers of cotton muslin. It's so soft and warm but still breathable. When we travel, I bring it since I never know what the temp control will be.
    Charlotte has always waken around 5/6, now it's usually 5 she's up for about an hour and then makes a 1- 1.5 hr nap. She's asleep by 7. I've tried to change it but no luck. I figure I was just spoiled with my boys being late risers.
  • For those of you using sleep sacks, what kind do yall use? We are transitioning our of the merlin sleep suit because he is starting to try to roll in it, so we tried the halo sleep sack, and it didn't go too well. I know transitions will suck usually no matter what, but I'm just wondering if there were other sleep sacks/wearable blankets that you guys preferred over the halo?
  • soulou17 said:
    For those of you using sleep sacks, what kind do yall use? We are transitioning our of the merlin sleep suit because he is starting to try to roll in it, so we tried the halo sleep sack, and it didn't go too well. I know transitions will suck usually no matter what, but I'm just wondering if there were other sleep sacks/wearable blankets that you guys preferred over the halo?
    I've always been a fan of sleepsacks by Aden & Anais.
  • I use the halo sleep sack. We had an awesome swaddle one from snug and tug, but bc it's a swaddle they don't make it in bigger sizes. The Merlin suit is snug like a swaddle isn't it? Maybe try the towel under the crib sheet to make it more snuggly for him. I think @adiaz132003 had a picture that showed how to do it ages ago when we were transitioning from swaddles.
  • meggyme said:
    I use the halo sleep sack. We had an awesome swaddle one from snug and tug, but bc it's a swaddle they don't make it in bigger sizes. The Merlin suit is snug like a swaddle isn't it? Maybe try the towel under the crib sheet to make it more snuggly for him. I think @adiaz132003 had a picture that showed how to do it ages ago when we were transitioning from swaddles.
    It is thicker so they feel snuggly, but his arms and legs are spread out.  It just kind of muffles their movement. The only time he would calm down last night was when he flipped to his side, so I would be nervous about putting the towel under the sheet. I think he just didn't know what to do with his arms while he was trying to fall asleep so that freedom was bothering him. In the sleep suit, he couldn't really move them around too much. I'm going to look today, but I wish they made sleep sacks with arms. I know they have the carter's ones but I hear those run small so he probably wouldn't fit in those for long.  

Has anyone tried the summer infant comfortme wearable blankets? It has those wing-type sleeves that might work?
  • Any tips for extending naps? Abby is finally sleeping through the night again (hallelujah!) but if I put her down for a nap she wakes up after 30 minutes like clockwork. If I hold her I can get an hour or more. She has always slept in my arms for naps until a couple weeks ago when she would finally let me put her down.
  • rmmorris said:
    Any tips for extending naps? Abby is finally sleeping through the night again (hallelujah!) but if I put her down for a nap she wakes up after 30 minutes like clockwork. If I hold her I can get an hour or more. She has always slept in my arms for naps until a couple weeks ago when she would finally let me put her down.
    It goes against all the safe sleep practices, but if I want Miles to actually sleep more comfortably for awhile, I put him down on his stomach. He's on an elevated mattress right now for a cold and I think the stomach sleeping helps the drainage too. But that stomach sleeping at an angle mimics the way he sleeps on me and makes him more comfortable. I only put him down that way for naps, not overnight so that I'm always alert to hear him on the monitor if anything happens. He took two 90 minutes naps yesterday and I had to wake him up from his third nap so that he didn't ruin bedtime.

Use your judgement though, because it does involve ignoring your ped. Then again, we all probably slept on our tummies all the time soooooo meh
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • rmmorris said:
    Any tips for extending naps? Abby is finally sleeping through the night again (hallelujah!) but if I put her down for a nap she wakes up after 30 minutes like clockwork. If I hold her I can get an hour or more. She has always slept in my arms for naps until a couple weeks ago when she would finally let me put her down.
    It goes against all the safe sleep practices, but if I want Miles to actually sleep more comfortably for awhile, I put him down on his stomach. He's on an elevated mattress right now for a cold and I think the stomach sleeping helps the drainage too. But that stomach sleeping at an angle mimics the way he sleeps on me and makes him more comfortable. I only put him down that way for naps, not overnight so that I'm always alert to hear him on the monitor if anything happens. He took two 90 minutes naps yesterday and I had to wake him up from his third nap so that he didn't ruin bedtime.

Use your judgement though, because it does involve ignoring your ped. Then again, we all probably slept on our tummies all the time soooooo meh
    Also, depending on how your baby has been rolling it might be safe for babies to sleep on their tummies. My kiddo rolls on to her tummy as soon as I put her down for a nap. My ped said it's ok since by now she can turn her head and roll around if needed. And I'd have to live in her room constantly flipping her back to her back, which is impractical.

• Here is Preston being transitioned from swaddle and how we kept him in place while crib end was elevated.  Rolled towel under the fitted sheet.  As for colds, back sleeping is actually better cause it allows snot to drain and be swallowed rather than getting stuck in the nose.  Extending naps honestly comes with time.  Preston would only take 45 min naps at most then they went to an hour, once we dropped the third nap it went to and hour and a half to two hours. 
  • meggyme said:
    rmmorris said:

Also, depending on how your baby has been rolling it might be safe for babies to sleep on their tummies. My kiddo rolls on to her tummy as soon as I put her down for a nap. My ped said it's ok since by now she can turn her head and roll around if needed. And I'd have to live in her room constantly flipping her back to her back, which is impractical.
    I went against the "back is best" motto and Ethan has been sleeping for naps and bedtime on his tummy since 3 months. He is STTN, has been in his own room since birth, does not use a pacifier, and takes decent naps during the day (he takes 3-5 everyday depending on the length).  Do what you feel comfortable with.  :)

• Here is Preston being transitioned from swaddle and how we kept him in place while crib end was elevated.  Rolled towel under the fitted sheet.  As for colds, back sleeping is actually better cause it allows snot to drain and be swallowed rather than getting stuck in the nose.  Extending naps honestly comes with time.  Preston would only take 45 min naps at most then they went to an hour, once we dropped the third nap it went to and hour and a half to two hours. 
    He looks so little in that pic! Awwww  :D

He looks so little in that pic! Awwww  :D
     So sweet.  I think he was about 2-3 months here.
  • meggyme said:
    rmmorris said:

I went against the "back is best" motto and Ethan has been sleeping for naps and bedtime on his tummy since 3 months. He is STTN, has been in his own room since birth, does not use a pacifier, and takes decent naps during the day (he takes 3-5 everyday depending on the length).  Do what you feel comfortable with.  :)
    Can you come to my house please? Savannah literally does none of that
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • meggyme said:
    rmmorris said:

Sure!  Lol. You live in San Diego if I recall correctly so that's close  ;)
  • meggyme said:
    rmmorris said:

Sure!  Lol. You live in San Diego if I recall correctly so that's close  ;)
     No... New Jersey  :'(. Although I would consider moving if she would nap and STTN!! Haha
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • soulou17 said:
    meggyme said:
    I use the halo sleep sack. We had an awesome swaddle one from snug and tug, but bc it's a swaddle they don't make it in bigger sizes. The Merlin suit is snug like a swaddle isn't it? Maybe try the towel under the crib sheet to make it more snuggly for him. I think @adiaz132003 had a picture that showed how to do it ages ago when we were transitioning from swaddles.
    It is thicker so they feel snuggly, but his arms and legs are spread out.  It just kind of muffles their movement. The only time he would calm down last night was when he flipped to his side, so I would be nervous about putting the towel under the sheet. I think he just didn't know what to do with his arms while he was trying to fall asleep so that freedom was bothering him. In the sleep suit, he couldn't really move them around too much. I'm going to look today, but I wish they made sleep sacks with arms. I know they have the carter's ones but I hear those run small so he probably wouldn't fit in those for long.  

Has anyone tried the summer infant comfortme wearable blankets? It has those wing-type sleeves that might work?
    We have a Carter's sleep sack. It does have sleeves and it is very soft and cozy, but it does seem to run a little small. I believe we have a 9-month size, and I don't remember there being bigger sizes when we bought it. S is still in it for now, but I don't think it will last him until 9 months. 
  • Just searched Amazon for sleep sack with sleeves. While there are a few options this one stood out as looking similar to the sleep suit. Winter Baby Sleep Sack

Cotton Wearable Blanket Zipper Sleeves, Blue,X-Large

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011RD1SGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tolwybPJV0JZS
  • edited December 2016
    Weird night for us. Damien fell asleep at 7:15ish as usual and then woke up about an hour and a half later. Usually it's pretty easy to get him back to sleep and then he is down for the night. Tonight, however, he had no interest in sleeping. He wasn't really fussing so we left him in the crib, let him play, and went in every 10min or so to check on him. Happy kiddo. Finally at 10pm he just starts wailing. When that has happened in the recent past, it's because he needed to burp so I picked him up and gave him some good pats on the back. He did need to burp but, as has happened before, he also vomited a little bit. Once he did all of that, he was all smiles. Since it was clear that he wouldn't be going to sleep anytime soon, we brought him in the living room to cuddle with us and watch Harry Potter. (We traditionally watch the movies the week leading up to Christmas.) He started showing signs of being tired at 11:15 so I prepped a bottle and did his bedtime routine. He's asleep now so all is well.

The only thing I can think of that prompted this is that he only had 2 naps tody. They were both betwedn 2.5 - 3hrs long though. Who knows! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does his usual 11hrs so that I can take advantage of sleeping in!
  • Weird night for us. Damien fell asleep at 7:15ish as usual and then woke up about an hour and a half later. Usually it's pretty easy to get him back to sleep and then he is down for the night. Tonight, however, he had no interest in sleeping. He wasn't really fussing so we left him in the crib, let him play, and went in every 10min or so to check on him. Happy kiddo. Finally at 10pm he just starts wailing. When that has happened in the recent past, it's because he needed to burp so I picked him up and gave him some good pats on the back. He did need to burp but, as has happened before, he also vomited a little bit. Once he did all of that, he was all smiles. Since it was clear that he wouldn't be going to sleep anytime soon, we brought him in the living room to cuddle with us and watch Harry Potter. (We traditionally watch the movies the week leading up to Christmas.) He started showing signs of being tired at 11:15 so I prepped a bottle and did his bedtime routine. He's asleep now so all is well.

The only thing I can think of that prompted this is that he only had 2 naps tody. They were both betwedn 2.5 - 3hrs long though. Who knows! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does his usual 11hrs so that I can take advantage of sleeping in!
    Update: He woke up again at 12:05am and 12:25am, then slept until 6:50am. After he ate, he had no interest in going back to bed so we are up doing our usual morning routine. In a way this is good because it kind of gives us a clean start and he can fall into his usual nap routine. I just feel bad because he didn't get nearly enough sleep.
  • lO sleeps in a sleep sack sans sleeves. He loves it but we're on size M now since he is so tall!
    he is currently still asleep.
  • I ended up ordering a sleep sack by boppy. It seems similar to the carter's sleep sack but the sizing seems a little bigger. I also remembered that we have a zipadeezip that I got from a coworker so we are giving that a shot tonight. We put him down to sleep about 10 mins ago, and it took about 5 or so minutes to get to sleep, but so far so good. Hope the rest of the night goes okay.
  • WE have used the Halo sleep sack since LO was a newborn. He loves it.
    Last night was also a strange night. He went to bed at 7is and i noticed that the daycare note said he took ONE nap. Yesh. We woke up at 6:30am because he always wakes up that early and we waited and waited and waited. Finally, I had to wake up the little sleeping beauty because we had to bathe him and get him ready for daycare. This was at 8am. He threw a major tantrum and didn't want to get out o bed.
    He also basically had a meltdown because he wanted his bottle and it had been 13 hours since the last one. He slept a good 13 hours.
  • rlbrooks84rlbrooks84 member
    edited December 2016
    meggyme said:
    Just searched Amazon for sleep sack with sleeves. While there are a few options this one stood out as looking similar to the sleep suit. Winter Baby Sleep Sack

Cotton Wearable Blanket Zipper Sleeves, Blue,X-Large

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011RD1SGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tolwybPJV0JZS

Violet you're turning violet!!
  • My husband had to go out of town this evening unexpectedly so the next few days are just Damien and me. Naturally he has been waking up very frequently since I put him down at 7pm tonight. He isn't hungry, not, cold, etc., he just cries and fusses a little bit and then goes back to sleep. It's a good thing I got all my errands done today so tomorrow can be lowkey.