March 2018 Moms
Options

How much does it cost to have a baby?

13»

Re: How much does it cost to have a baby?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    ETA - No point in continuing to argue I think - no hard feelings.
  • Options
    @antoto I tried to ignore it, but it was bugging me. I needed to say that I felt it inappropriate. I appreciate you explaining your reasoning. Anyway, like I said, I'm over it. We're barely into the second trimester, we're bound to have bigger things to disagree on down the road, amirite?

but for real, no hard feelings or anything. And for the people in the back, if my post offended you, sorry. :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @syssa-o I'm glad you spoke up.  No hard feelings over here either, for real.
  • Options
    bb3vj3nbb3vj3n member
    edited September 2017
    @syssa-o I understand what you were originally asking but as a fellow Canadian- I have to admit that I was a little shocked that you asked. 

Also, in your OP you said it costs like 30 dollars to have a baby here. We pay double the taxes that they do in most of the US - so in the end, we don't chime out way way ahead. Americans get a bill at the end - we, in a way pay upfront.

I don't know your income level (and im not asking) but I paid over 20k in taxes, CPP anf EI last year. this doesn't include property taxes or sales tax - we do pay for our healthcare, just not as much or in the same way

eta - I wrote this post an hour ago and for some reason it only showed up now. not trying to reopen an argument, if you've all moved on .... ill shut up. lol
  • Options
    @bb3vj3n yes, we absolutely do pay for our care on taxes. In a sense, I don't mind the money we lose to tax only because if something comes up/happens unexpectedly we don't have to worry the same way someone from a different country might have to. 

It isnt just healthcare, we just bought a new vehicle that (even after the exchange rate) would have cost $23,000 less if we had bought the exact same model in the states. There are so many varying differences when it comes to $$$$, services, products. 

We are in a decently high tax bracket, but I like our system to be honest. We are done paying tax for the year this month, and it does give a nice break. 
  • Options
    bb3vj3nbb3vj3n member
    edited September 2017
    @syssa-o I also prefer our system and have zero issues with it. I just sometimes hear people say Canadians have FREE healthcare And feel the need to clarify so that people don't misunderstand... but I agree, I loved that we can rely on coverage no matter what happens without the worry of a huge bill 
  • Options
    I'm way late to this party, but it cost about $10k for a vaginal delivery in NJ. Our insurance sucks. The only "nearby" hospital is fancy. Can we afford it? Not really. But we scrape by and find ways to make it work because we wanted kids. 
  • Options
    @bb3vj3n I understand. I guess that line of thinking is like "well WTF I paid 20k this year, your healthcare isn't free." 

I have been out and about, on my own since I was very young. Until I went to school and got a well paying job, to me healthcare was "free" because I barely made enough for them to tax me. During this time, I had my lung collapse spontaneously (twice) and my tonsils needed to be removed. Had I been presented a bill for those procedures, I have no clue what I would have done. 

Now that my SO and I work hard to make good money, I see it as paying back. I also like to know that when we are old & potentially in need of more healthcare than we are utilizing now, it will (barring any substantial changes) be available. 
  • Options
    The grass is always greener on the other side.  Canadians look at us for things where we might have it "good". And many of Americans look at Canadians like they have it "good."  I mean look at your prime minister!  Yowza!  

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017