April 2018 Moms
Options

30+ year old moms?

Re: 30+ year old moms?

• Options
    kmalls said:
    OP: Where all my old people at! I'm SO OLD! I'm more than 30!

::cough::but not AMA old, those people are super old. They're like 35::cough
    Well, to be fair, us AMA ladies talk about nothing but our dentures and hip replacements!

:D:D:D:D

Seriously though.... age and kids have broken me. I developed 'mommy thumb' after my first and plantar fasciitis after my second....... I worried what this one is going to do to me.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ladythrice said:nu
    kmalls said:
    OP: Where all my old people at! I'm SO OLD! I'm more than 30!

::cough::but not AMA old, those people are super old. They're like 35::cough
    Well, to be fair, us AMA ladies talk about nothing but our dentures and hip replacements!

:D:D:D:D

Seriously though.... age and kids have broken me. I developed 'mommy thumb' after my first and plantar fasciitis after my second....... I worried what this one is going to do to me.

I got mommy thumb also after having my first. I eventually had to have surgery to correct it. I was completely blown away when I first read about it. Like why was I lucky enough to get THAT side effect, lol
  • Options
    ladythriceladythrice member
    edited August 2017
    @crystal321 Holy crap! That's crazy!! Is it gone now??

We did braces and shots for mine and it eventually disappeared. I obsessively paid attention to how I handled 2.0 so that I avoided it that time around... But my feet broke instead. I'm still dealing with plantar fasciitis!!! It sucks so bad... Biggest piece of advice I can give expectant moms: DON'T WEAR FLIP FLOPS AND WALK 10K STEPS A DAY WHEN YOU'VE GAINED 35 POUNDS AND ARE 9 MONTHS PREGNANT lol. Wear sneakers. I know its hot. You'll be okay. :D:D:D

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @crystal321 Holy crap! That's crazy!! Is it gone now??

We did braces and shots for mine and it eventually disappeared. I obsessively paid attention to how I handled 2.0 so that I avoided it that time around... But my feet broke instead. I'm still dealing with plantar fasciitis!!! It sucks so bad... Biggest piece of advice I can give expectant moms: DON'T WEAR FLIP FLOPS AND WALK 10K STEPS A DAY WHEN YOU'VE GAINED 35 POUNDS AND ARE 9 MONTHS PREGNANT lol. Wear sneakers. I know its hot. You'll be okay. :D:D:D
    Yeah I did braces and shots but that sharp pain never went away. After the surgery I had 0 issues and I am good as new. They snipped the tendon or whatever so it will not reoccur in that wrist, thank goodness 
  • Options
    @mispanda it sounds made up right? Its ridiculous... but insanely painful and can lead to surgery like for Crystal321

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mispanda said:
    I had to look up what mommy thumb was........ :#
    me too! @mispanda

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 33 now, but I will be 34 by the time I deliver.  I was 27 when I had my first, so I have also had quite a long break.  I feel much more prepared and less anxious this time around, but I think that's just the difference of becoming a STM vs a FTM, not necessarily age.  I'd be lying if i said i didn't feel a little bit like an 'old mom' though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lundlund member
    JJMNO1616 said:
    Love all the 30+ yo ladies here! I'm 30 and will be 31 at my EDD. 

@lund Your comment just made me LOL. When I first met my husband he had a bunch of roommates who would always complain that women in the midwest are crazy and just want to get married and have babies in their early 20's   
    It sure seems to be the case!  I'm not originally from the midwest and only moved here about 2.5 years ago, so maybe that's why I'm not the "norm" around here. 
  • Options
    lundlund member
    kmalls said:
    lund said:
    JJMNO1616 said:

@lund Your comment just made me LOL. When I first met my husband he had a bunch of roommates who would always complain that women in the midwest are crazy and just want to get married and have babies in their early 20's   
    It sure seems to be the case!  I'm not originally from the midwest and only moved here about 2.5 years ago, so maybe that's why I'm not the "norm" around here. 
    I feel like the region you live in can definitely play a role in whether or not you feel "old" when having babies -- though I think your social circle plays a bigger role, potentially. 

I live in New England but went to college in the south, and was SHOCKED at how many women were engaged by graduation. Getting married that young just isn't a priority where I'm from. Like, the only thing on my mind at 22 was how I could travel as much as possible, as far as possible with basically zero budget. Also, beer. How much beer could I purchase with $15 in quarters. I'm not knocking getting married young AT ALL, it's just a social norm that's very foreign to me. 

Within my social circle, I was the first to have a baby at 33. Even now, while I'm on my third kid, only one other friend has had a baby. It never occurred to me that I'm "old," it's just normal! 

SO TRUE!  Where I'm from getting married and having kids young isn't a priority, and I'm only going to be the 3rd (out of like 20) person to have kids in my college social circle. 
  • Options
    kmalls said:
    lund said:
    JJMNO1616 said:

I feel like the region you live in can definitely play a role in whether or not you feel "old" when having babies -- though I think your social circle plays a bigger role, potentially. 

I live in New England but went to college in the south, and was SHOCKED at how many women were engaged by graduation. Getting married that young just isn't a priority where I'm from. Like, the only thing on my mind at 22 was how I could travel as much as possible, as far as possible with basically zero budget. Also, beer. How much beer could I purchase with $15 in quarters. I'm not knocking getting married young AT ALL, it's just a social norm that's very foreign to me. 

Within my social circle, I was the first to have a baby at 33. Even now, while I'm on my third kid, only one other friend has had a baby. It never occurred to me that I'm "old," it's just normal! 

This is very true. In the new friends I developed after moving to the midwest (at age 22) I was 'behind the game' by not having my life partner picked out (one friend actually said this to me!). There is intense pressure on people out here to meet that partner early and get married. On the reverse side, in my social circles from back where i grew up and from college (East Coast), I was the youngest at 27 to be getting married. But even then I wanted to finish grad school before we started having kids so we spent two years being D.I.N.K.s and splurging on ourselves before we started TTC... things my friends out in the midwest thought was weird.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    34 over here!!! Just barely made it heh
  • Options
    So.. . I suppose I'm in this club also! I don't feel old at 31 (well... I aged about ten years since DS who turns 2 in November) but in Holland I think the average age for a FTM is around 29/30.
    I did hate turning 30, but everything after that is ok i guess :D  
    So i agree with the other ladies who said environment/social circle play a big part. Happy to be here though, wouldn't want it any other way! 
  • Options
    I'll join! I'm 30 and I'll be 31 when I deliver. I'll be a FTM! 30 and I still don't feel ready! But I'm excited :smile:
  • Options
    31! Will be 32 in three weeks. I was 30 when I had my first. I love being in my 30's!!!!
  • Options
    @RosieMommy2016 I'm with you! Best time of my life so far. I enjoyed my 20s, but my 30s are already so much better!

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    k0leslaw said:
    I'll join! I'm 30 and I'll be 31 when I deliver. I'll be a FTM! 30 and I still don't feel ready! But I'm excited :smile:
    I was 30 when I had my DD. Read all the books, went to all the baby classes, thought "I'm an educated woman, I can handle this." How naive I was... Lol!
  • Options
    ivdrivdr member
    35 here! Pregnant with my 2nd child. I had my 1st at 33, he is now 21 months.

I love this post! Thankyou for doing this. I feel the 35+ thread excludes 35 yr olds. It's funny how we call ourselves oldies, when we still feel so young!
  • Options
    ivdr said:

I love this post! Thankyou for doing this. I feel the 35+ thread excludes 35 yr olds. It's funny how we call ourselves oldies, when we still feel so young!
    Advanced Maternal Age starts at 35, so that post is very pertinent to your pregnancy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ivdrivdr member
    It certainly does, that is true! Although I have noticed there is not one 35 year old on the 35+ boards.
    This 30+ thread is more welcoming.....heres hoping Hehe!

• Options
    It does say 30+ so if an AMA wants to join lets let them.
  • Options
    ivdr said:
    It certainly does, that is true! Although I have noticed there is not one 35 year old on the 35+ boards.

@ivdr are you talking about the "pregnant after 35" board, or the AMA thread here on our April BMB? Because there are plenty of us that are 35 here on our AMA thread and are definitely welcoming. 
  • Options
    luna8433 said:
    It's not about letting people join anything.  This thread is starting to head in the direction of trashing the AMA ladies. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @kmalls I'm not advanced maternal age... yet... So I wasn't looking to have this be an AMA pregnancy check-in as much as an introduction to people here over 30, hence the age listing in the title!
    @ngolimento This is what my understanding of what direction we are going. 
  • Options
    luna8433 said:
    It's not about letting people join anything.  This thread is starting to head in the direction of trashing the AMA ladies. 
    Agree. It feels icky. 
  • Options
    kmalls said:
    luna8433 said:
    Agree. It feels icky. 
    Right.  If this thread had started with "Let's start a 30+ thread!" I would have no problem.  Instead, it starts with "Oh gawd, 30 is SO ooooold, but we aren't as old as those AMA ladies, so we need our own place!"

Then people who fit into the AMA group start saying how unwelcoming AMA is (read our thread, I have NO idea how someone decided we were bitches out of that).

This is feeling really hostile and nasty towards people who haven't done a thing wrong to anyone.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kmalls said:
    ivdr said:

@ivdr are you talking about the "pregnant after 35" board, or the AMA thread here on our April BMB? Because there are plenty of us that are 35 here on our AMA thread and are definitely welcoming. 
    She said "35+ boards" so I didn't think she was referring to the AMA thead here on April. Could be wrong though and if that's the case then I agree with your comments. I've been lurking the AMA board and everyone seems pretty nice to me! With that said, everyone 30+ is more then welcome to contribute here! 

I'm personally happy to have a 30+ thread because I think it's nice to connect with other ladies in my age range. I get what you are saying about the sentiment of the board but to be fair I do feel kind of old sometimes!! That's not meant to be a diss against ladies here who are AMA, that's just the reality of how some of us 30-34 year old ladies feel about our own situations. 
  • Options
    ivdr said:

Yeah, it must really suck for us REAL "oldies." BRB, going to go buy some hard candy and knit a sweater.
  • Options
    ivdr said:

Yeah, it must really suck for us REAL "oldies." BRB, going to go buy some hard candy and knit a sweater.
    Age and feeling old is relative!!! Let's stop trying to categorize who is "old" or not.
  • Options
    This thread needs to go in a different direction or go away.
  • Options
    kmalls said:
    I really wish this thread would fade away. However unintentional, some of the remarks have been crass at best, offensive at worst. Age can be a sensitive subject when it comes to pregnancy, and when it's discussed so flippantly and without regard to the group as a whole, the overall tone can be hurtful. I would hope a little more tact can be used in the future. 
    I completely agee. I don't think anyone intended to hurt anyone's feelings or be rude but obviously that has happened. I also think this conversation/thread should just be done for now so I'll leave it at that.   
  • Options
    After watching Adam ruins everything on AMA it just confirms my feelings that AMA that it's not a big deal to be 35+ and pregnant. He talks about how the ama age came from 400 years ago and with modern technology ama is no longer 35+ .and that having a child with disabilities goes from a .5% to 1% chance at the ama.
  • Options
    I think I win. 36 and pregnant with our first after two years of trying and IVF. :) 
  • Options
    @ackershan please check out our wonderful AMA thread. There are many women older than you who are pregnant after experiencing infertility.