March 2018 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion - 7/27

2»

Re: Unpopular Opinion - 7/27

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kiki75 said:
    @bettyvonsomethingstein I think that those cases are best handled the first time, right in the moment with a simple, "ouch". It's a somewhat non-confrontational way of pointing out that what they're saying is hurtful. Sometimes people just need someone to push them to think more carefully about their words.
    Ya know, I think that's brilliant.  Short, sweet, gets the point across, and if they have questions, it can be discussed.  If not, you made your point.
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• Options
    @kmalls I'm with you. No top sheet. Just a duvet cover and a fitted sheet. And I live in a very warm climate but cannot sleep without a little weight on me. Our duvet is an all seasons one and we just toss a blanket on top if we ever get chilly. 

When I travel I always try to at least bring my favorite blanket with me and a sheet if I have room. Hotel sheets creep me out. :smiley:

My ILs constantly tell me and DH that we are doing xyz wrong because SIL did it this way and that's better. So I've been on the shamed train and it's no fun. 

AFM, I think paying more for something of quality that you will use is better than getting a deal on something that is less useful because it was a deal. For example my MIL is scandalized that I'm probably going to pay around $500 for a double stroller because SIL never pays more than $150. Except my SIL has 5-6 $100+ strollers. And I will own two. One single. One double. And I use the single constantly with DS. I try not to just buy stuff for the sake of buying stuff or because it was on sale. And overall I own way less in the baby gear department than my SIL. 
  • Options
    Top sheet only. The weather has to be near-arctic for me to want a blanket.
  • Options
    @kmalls  I am so with you that top sheets are useless!  Other than at a hotel I have no use at all for them!  #teamnotopsheet
  • Options
    I have a losing battle with my husband over the top sheet. I'm #teamtopsheet all the way, but he always pushes it away and gets it messed up. Drives me crazy! 
  • Options
    @LiveNLove44 awww. Can't we still be friends?? :joy:

I don't believe in making the bed either... 
  • Options
    #teamnotopsheet here. I hate them! 
    If I'd listen to everyone's opinions about me formula feeding, my baby would have starved to death. Sometimes exclusive breastfeeding is just not an option as was in our case. 
    Whenever I got comments, I just ignored because I knew what was right for me and my child. 
    But yeah, mom shaming is real and sad
  • Options
    Def team top sheet even though I live in South Florida. 

Kind of sorry, but my UO is that expensive essential oil companies annoy me. I buy a very good brand that doesn't offer sales/distributorship that is very inexpensive and good quality. The distributorship EO people can sometimes make other companies out to be poop water. 

Double sorry for this one, but I have to express: I've def experienced mom shaming. I'm still nursing my 22 month old. I never ever even had the inkling that formula or breastfeeding were different or that one was better.  I would have never thought to call a mom names for feeding her sweet baby. We do it bc it's our thing, we love it and that's it. 

It's all fine and dandy when you're nursing a "baby" but society has a milestone where that needs to stop or else you get comments like "please stop" or "please don't be one of those."

What hurts more is that I find myself hiding our nursing relationship. My closest friends have no idea and I don't want to show my son that we hide what we do...
  • Options
    @LiveNLove44 awww. Can't we still be friends?? :joy:

I don't believe in making the bed either... 
    @mdfarmchick I'll meet you in the middle on not making the bed :smile: 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    day38day38 member
    @antoto I get that too. I like knowing about other people (which is why I have the acquaintances on my friends list to begin with). As much as I would love all the congrats posts (I really would), I just want my privacy. 

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @antoto you absolutely deserve that AW moment!
  • Options
    @antoto - same here. I've already bought props (tasteful, but still props, ha!)

@day38 - I totally get the privacy piece too, I got off FB for awhile and it was actually super nice. With all my family living far from me :disappointed: it's the easiest way for me to get doses of my adorable nieces and nephews without being the annoying aunt wanting to constantly facetime!
  • Options
    Also chiming in to say that mom shaming is very real. For me it started with comments that c sections aren't really necessary and being told, "I suppose you will only have c sections from now on?" Because apparently they're only useful to helping doc go home early and not preventing dead babies...
    I would grocery shop while holding my son and nursing him when he was brand new. I was told at least once per trip that I should have taken him to the car. Then, when I weaned at 6 months I heard about how formula is the devils milk. 
    Maybe I live in an area populated with too many assholes, but yes shaming is real. I used to get upset about it, but I must have ran out of fucks to throw around because ain't nobody got time for feeling guilty when there are babies to love and raise. 

Also, FFFC I am a bad mouth mom 

• Options
    Also, just realized this wasn't the FFFC thread. Just finished a 14 hour work day and no energy to spare to fix it. Sorry ya'll  :*<3
  • Options
    @missydallas In case you haven't heard of it, the app TinyBeans is amazing for keeping families in touch via pics and sweet captions, and it's free! Much easier to get just what you want (your family), and the app makes it so easy to add photos and videos! Plus, it's all organized into a sweet calendar view. You just make one for your family (whoever you want to include) and everyone can add pics as they have them! It works so well for us because we never have to censor what we put on there or worry we are putting too many photos up. I don't even put photos of our daughter on FB anymore, just Tinybeans! If your in-laws would get on board, I'll bet they would love it! 
  • Options
    I can't stand people who wear headphones while driving. WHY? How can you even hear sirens or anything going on around you????

also #teamtopsheet
    Whaaaaaaat?!? Lol. I am lost without my headphones. Well, let me be clear... I do not wear them while driving around town UNLESS I am on the phone. I have always been able to hear sirens with them on with no problem. I hate having phone conversations while driving without my headphones. I really do not like the bluetooth in my car and I am surely not going to use my hands. So, headphones it is! Ha. 
  • Options
    I hate maternity clothes. All of them. It's hard enough for me to find regular clothes that fit me. I'm 5'11" and big- broad shoulders, big boobs, wide hips. According to clothing manufacturers, I should join a nudist colony while pregnant, because there ain't no clothes for me. Lol