November 2017 Moms

FTM questions for STM+ 6/27

2»

Re: FTM questions for STM+ 6/27

• We don't have any windows in our nursery (our house is weird) so we didn't really have a choice in curtains. I will say DD2 started sleeping through the night at 4 weeks old. She still does in her big girl room with lots of windows at 1 1/2.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have always been a fan of letting kids nap in the daylight. With my older two we used a family doctor and he always swore it helped regulate their day/night cycles. Our current pediatrician reccomended the same. She said the science is inconclusive as to if its learned behavior or truly a natural process of the brain knowing light from drak when sleeping. My kids will all sleep just about anywhere and while I do believe part of sleeping is a learned behavior/pattern I also believe thr majority of sleep is an genertic predisposition!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • STMs...best ways to store breast milk? Any tricks or tips? And what bags did you prefer? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I personally liked the lansinoh bags. I found they could stand up easier while pouring and I had no issues leaking. 
    I froze in 4 oz quantities. Layed flat to freeze, then after a couple days got a container to store them in freezer- all standing up in order of oldest to newest. 
  • jess0211 said:
    STMs...best ways to store breast milk? Any tricks or tips? And what bags did you prefer? 
    I liked the Lansinoh bags better than Medela, but they both worked for me. I'd fill them in different amounts so that I could always get exactly the amount I needed (to not waste any extra) and freeze them flat in empty diaper boxes in our deep freeze. I'd fill one box while using milk from my oldest box. 

Also - this blew my mind when a friend did it - when you go to pour out of the bags, don't undo the zipper. Just use scissors to cut the bag under the zipper. It's sooooo much easier to pour neatly without the zipper in the way. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• baby3formebaby3forme member
    edited July 2017
    @jess0211 I also prefer lansinoh but I have some twist pouches I plan on using this time around. You can connect the bag directly to your pump therefore conserving all milk (because transferring wastes a lot and can also lead to spilling).

ETA: They also have nipples you can attach directly to the bag and you can use the bag to store food too.
  • car1acar1a member
    Potential dumb question but are the twist bags reusable? I'm assuming lansinoh are not if you can cut them open to pour the milk elsewhere?
    ~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~
  • @car1a I don't think any of the milk storage bags are technically reusable but I know people who have reused them and I've reused a few myself. I just made sure I rinsed it out really well right away.
  • Ok I need advise on this whole pacifier weaning thing. My son is 17 months old and Loves his paci. He does good without it during the day but crys for it in the car, at nap time, & at night. My question is should I try to ween him completely before baby # 2 comes or will he just try to take hers? I thought about trying her out on the type of paci that he refuses to take so maybe he won't want it. Should I just let him keep it for a while longer... If so how long? What are your thoughts & experiences with this. 
  • Ok I need advise on this whole pacifier weaning thing. My son is 17 months old and Loves his paci. He does good without it during the day but crys for it in the car, at nap time, & at night. My question is should I try to ween him completely before baby # 2 comes or will he just try to take hers? I thought about trying her out on the type of paci that he refuses to take so maybe he won't want it. Should I just let him keep it for a while longer... If so how long? What are your thoughts & experiences with this. 
    We let our daughter keep hers for sleeping through having baby #2. Her birthday after, we told her that she was a big girl and couldn't have it anymore, but that she got to choose a very special birthday present instead. She was upset for maybe 2 or 3 night/nap times, but some reminding of her awesome present made it better and she got over it quickly. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• If it were me I'd probably try to knock the habit now because you're going to have a lot going on after the baby's here. Some people go cold turkey just take it away and deal with the few days of them being upset and I've also heard of people cutting off bits of the paci every week until the kid doesn't want it anymore. You just have to decide what method will work best for you and stick to it.
  • Hey second time moms, 

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, so let me know if there is someplace better! I was wondering what car seats and strollers you all recommend in terms of safety and ease of use. Let me know! Thanks :)