November 2017 Moms

FFFC 6/23/17

1235»

Re: FFFC 6/23/17

• @TeacherMama7 That is such a great idea! I'm going to do that this time just to be safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Carito8Carito8 member
    edited June 2017
    @kalenp I agree! As to how we could work it out, we just have to look at other countries. Unfortunately, Americans don't like taxes. I pay over 45% in income taxes but will have at least a year of paid maternity leave here in Austria. My husband is also entitled to take paternity leave if he wishes. 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge it just makes NO SENSE. 
  • @bcashaw I could go on and on but I won't because it's already been discussed to death and nothing will change. Well, at least NY is starting 12 weeks paid maternity AND paternity leave! So that's positive :)

• kalenpkalenp member
    @DuchessOfCambridge Progress has to start somewhere. usually in NY and California ;)
    DS#1 3/13
    DS#2 3/15
    Baby #3~ 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited June 2017
    @bcashaw In the US, I think it's because of the almighty dollar - to some politicians and businessmen, people's inherent human worth is measured solely by how much money they have (or bring in for a company). It's also a short-sighted view of "must earn money now!!!!", rather than thinking about the value that a woman brings to the company over the course of her career if she is given the support she needs for her family time. I get 18-20 weeks off in my state (12 unpaid after disability). When I told my one project manager I was pregnant and how much leave I was eligible for, his response was "Wow! That's a lot! And you're going to take ALL of that?". He's a nice guy in general and always understanding when other family stuff pops up, so he's not a bad person. It's just an example of the ingrained view point in corporate America that we all have to "work work work" all the time, and that women should rush back to work after having a baby.
  • My state can be fairly progressive.  And weed has been legal for a while.  Our last ballot, we voted on what to do with all the EXTRA tax money we collected, because far more pot was sold than projected.  WHY CAN'T THAT GO TO PAID MAT/PAT LEAVE???  That is all.  ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SweetMelissa4 haha do you live in Colorado? That's what we are dealing with...I hate the stupid TABOR rules that we have to "vote" to put additional funding into needed services (usually parks and rec, education, etc). But being a fiercely independent, anti-tax state...there is sadly no way we would ever raise taxes or put it toward maternity or paternity benefits.
  • @dragonfly87-2 Yes!  Are you in CO, too?  I was more joking.  It's kind of funny cause everyone is always wanting pot money to go to their cause and wondering where it all actually goes.  ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SweetMelissa4 yes. It's super frustrating living in a state that wants a lot, but doesn't want to pay for it.
  • @littlemissc17 and @MississippiCatfish Oh god the mini donuts are my downfall! We have a local summer farmers market and there is a mini donuts stand there every day making millions of the little buggers fresh and right in front of you. I love them with vanilla sugar... *drool* 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker