August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• Right now for snacks I'm doing berries and greek yogurt, protein bars w/ whole milk, peanut butter shakes made with whole milk and yogurt, cheese sticks and beef jerky, veggies w/ gauc, cheese and pepperoni, and sometimes just a cup of berries. If it's the afternoon and hot out- yasso yogurt bars. Have you seen the portable protein pack options in the grocery? As much as I hate over paying for convenience food they are great for busy days! I've started testing about an hour after some of the snacks just to see how I'm doing and so far my 1hr after snack readings have all been good. I will add that calories are not something I'm concerned about right now- as long as my blood sugar readings are compliant and I'm feeling good- I'm going to eat it.

For your fasting numbers, do you notice that the longer you go after waking without testing that your numbers creep up? When I forget to bring my testing kit upstairs I wake up and spend too long dicking around on my phone before testing I've been noticing the numbers are higher.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Before I started the insulin I would see my numbers creep a bit the longer I went without food (that's normal according to my doc). with the insulin I have to keep a snack by my bed so that when I wake up I take my sugars right away and then eat my snack. Otherwise, my numbers crash down into the 50-60s by the time I'm done showering and getting my daughter ready and I'll pass out. I learned that the hard way :-( 

The snacks you mentioned are all a nice balance of protein and carbs, which is what I used to do, but they told me I need to do more carb-centered snacks like crackers or granola bars since me sugars won't come up with the proteins. The other issue for me is that the fridge on our floor is totally on the other side of the building and I hate waddling my way down there multiple times a day. My husband suggested I get a little lunchbox and just put and ice pack in it to keep things cold at my desk so I'm more likely to eat and not bottom out because I forgot to get my snack from the fridge. I snuck 2 of my daughter's yogurt tubes and brought those today, we'll see how that works. If she finds out I took them she'll be MAD lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mango517Mango517 member
    edited June 2017
    When I feel like I need to up my carbs I try to grab fruit. Even though they both are on the avoid list dates and grapes have been good for me when I'm NEEDING sugar ( I know the bottoming out feeling very well). They both pair well with nuts and a cheese stick to help balance that sugar. Also, what about overnight oats in a mason jar? You can pack it up the night before and it will be ready to eat by the next day. Might be a good way to have a quick carb-y snack.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove I've been eating "Smart foods" popcorn. comes in little single serving bags and it hasn't cause a huge spike but keeps me steady in the afternoons. I usually pair it with almonds or nuts of some kind.
  • @boxerbabylove  That is interesting about the 2 hour testing.  My doctor has me test at 1hr, but if my number is too high I will test at 2hr as well just for peace of mind.  I wish I had some snack recommendations but all mine are really similar to @Mango517.  The only thing I can think of is to look at granola bars because there is such a wide range of what is offered.  Also before my GD diagnosis I ate a lot of yogurt, fruit and granola I have had to replace the granola with nuts but you might try it with granola because it can be pretty high carb.

@Mango517 I am jealous of the grapes.  I tried them once and it kept my numbers high for 3 hours, I felt so guilty.  At least I can still eat berries, I don't know what I would do if I had to give fruit up all together.

My fasting numbers seem to have stabilized at the mid 80's, which I am happy with.  But now my breakfast numbers are going up.  I can still have some room for adjustments but I am going to be so tired of eggs in a few weeks.  I miss when I could get away with yogurt and fruit in the morning.  I read that once you hit 36 weeks you should be in the clear.  Only 3 more weeks to go I am hoping I make it without needing insulin.  I went past my due date with DS and do not want to have to be induced this time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shyviolet the granola is a good idea. Before baby, I was on an AI Paleo style diet so we don't really keep a lot of carbs in the house except for my kid's snacks. My husband is still doing the AI diet since we've been on it for years and have adjusted to it. Grapes haven't been an issue for me but I cannot do potatoes (including french fries) or pizza. Pizza will send my heartburn into overdrive and mess up my sugars for a whole day. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove It is so interesting what effects people.  I can eat potatoes and pizza without much issue as long as it is balanced with other foods. Rice on the other hand I can not do at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Question: When you guys refer to high numbers are you meaning higher than your normal post meal or fasting numbers or higher than the guideline numbers? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 When I am talking about high numbers I mean higher then my normal but still within my range (except for grapes and rice).  As my fasting and breakfast numbers have gotten closer to the top of my range I have actually tightened up my diet and have not gone over at all recently.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove I haven't been seen by the monitoring place yet, but my typical snacks are Greek yogurt with fruit, cottage cheese with fruit, vegetables with hummus or low carb bread with peanut butter or sun butter and a cheese stick.  If you need more carbs, something like a lara bar may be good because it's made with dates.

@shyviolet I can't do rice at all either.  Last time I was told to not have fruit for breakfast.  I haven't changed my breakfast this time yet, which is typically either Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit (I usually have one for breakfast and the other for snack), but when I test, my number is below 90.  I wonder if I can continue with those breakfast options.  I really don't want to eat eggs constantly and my other on the go option of a cheese stick and low carb wrap with peanut butter is usually what I eat for an evening snack.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Mango517 when I say high numbers I mean higher than the guidelines that have been laid out for me. Every doc is different, but my doc wants to see my fastings below 95 and my 2-hour post meal numbers below 120. If I go over by a little bit I don't worry much, but if my 2 hours are high and then I usually check again an hour later and see if it has moved in the right direction. It isn't often my post meal numbers look bad, so I know I totally blew my meal plan or I am super stressed or getting sick when my numbers go crazy. 

for example, I was really bad a couple weeks ago and I got a side of fries with my sandwich and my numbers went up in the 200s and then an hour later it was down to 160. Way above what it should have been. I drank a bunch of water and went for a walk and got myself back down to normal numbers about 4 hours after my meal but that was the first time I had seen anything even over 140 the entire time I've been pregnant. 

@shyviolet I am ok with rice but I miss french fries sooooooo much.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MetsGirl18  I was told no fruit or dairy for breakfast as well, but I was diagnosed so early I knew there was no way I would be able to eat eggs the whole time, so I stayed with my yogurt as long as a could.  I could not stand the thought of eggs the other morning so I had yogurt again and had my best breakfast numbers in a long time. So I am getting another break from eggs for the time being.

I woke up an hour early because of a leg cramp this morning and my fasting number significantly better.  So if my morning number continues to go up I figure I can just get up earlier to test for a few weeks.  

I had a doctors appointment today and was worried they would say something because I have not been gaining weight.  I eat a lot of meat, cheese and nuts and don't worry about calories and don't get hungry between meals, so it is not like I am trying to not gain.  Is anyone else having slow to no weight gain?  I figure a big part of it is because the GD diet is so healthy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is anyone else noticing any correlations between sleep and fasting numbers or the timing of your midnight snack and fasting numbers?  I know fasting numbers are hardest to control, but I'm getting a little frustrated and trying to figure out why my numbers looked good last week, but I've had some high readings this week.

I have insomnia pretty often where I'm up for hours in the middle of the night.  When that happens, my fasting numbers are high.  They're also high if I either fall asleep before an evening snack or wake up later than usual and go at least 9 or 10 hours between eating.  A few times when I fell asleep before the evening snack and woke up around 12 or 1, I'd eat something thinking that would keep my numbers down, but only going 5 or 6 hours between eating and testing hasn't been good either.  It seems like the 7-8 hour mark plus good sleep has been my best combination, but I wonder if there's anything else I can do to keep my numbers down.  I'm having the same snack every night of 1-2 cheese sticks and a low carb wrap with sun butter or peanut butter. That was my go to snack most times with my last pregnancy and it seemed okay although I had occasional high fasting numbers.  When they're high, they're usually only a few points above.  My numbers are supposed to be below 95.  Sorry for the long post, but I really want to avoid insulin if I can and I know the monitoring place will push it.  I'm only testing twice per day and will likely go to 4x after my first appointment with the monitoring place tomorrow, but the rest of my numbers have been well within the range.
  • @shyviolet I've completely stopped gaining weight since changing my diet for GD three weeks ago and it is really worrying to me. Almost everyone that I've heard from told me that the GD diet really does"control" weight gain, but right now that control is not what I need and I'm concerned that the baby is not getting enough or I'm causing issue with his growth since I can't gain weight. Like you, I'm eating as much as I can that fits these guidelines- tons of cheese, meat, nuts, avocados... loading myself up on high calorie food and fats. I'm hoping that the growth ultrasounds and extra monitoring will give me some peace of mind.

@MetsGirl18 Yes! I'm starting to try to figure out the best combo of when to eat dinner, snack and go to bed for optimal fasting readings. (Full disclosure that I still haven't worked out a great system for me though... ) I've heard that as time goes on in pregnancy it gets harder to control your numbers through diet alone and I've noticed a slight uptick in some of my numbers this week all while doing and eating the same things as two weeks ago. My numbers are better when I get a good nights sleep, but that doesn't happen every night as I don't have a set sleep schedule and a husband who snores like a giant. Frustrating.

I do think something might be up with topical magnesium applications though, so I make sure to spray my legs down with a magnesium spray before I go to bed (it's the pink story morning sickness spray I had left over from the 1st tri). I'm also not above drinking some apple cider vinegar in water before bed if that helps.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517  It is worrying and I have to trust that the doctors are keeping track of these things.  At my appointment the doctor mentioned I will get an ultrasound at my next appointment because I live at a high altitude there are some side effects that can occur.  One is slower growth, but I didn't put the lack of weigh gain and what she said together until after we left so I did ask.  I am at the weight I delivered DS and he was a good size so that helps me relax some.

@MetsGirl18  I do notice a correlation between sleep and my fasting numbers.  If I get 9 hours my numbers are much higher then if I get even an hour less then that.  Have you tried taking a walk after dinner?  I was talking to someone and she said that was the only way she could lower her fasting.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MetsGirl18 I am a lurker from BMB Sept but wanted to say even though i am in the early stages of figuring out correlations between eating/sleeping and fasting numbers....I often go to sleep around 9:30pm, wake up around midnight and eat a snack, go back to bed and if I test at 8:30 or before my fasting numbers are good...if I wait at all (or if I don't sleep well..restless) then my fasting numbers are a few above the 95 (or closer to the 95). When I didn't eat the midnight snack the numbers were much higher. Best of luck to you! 
    Me: 37 DH: 32 TTGP Since 2014 INFERTILITY INFO (Medicated, IUI's, IVF/FET) IN SPOILER
    October 2014-April 2015: Without Medication or Doctor Guidance No Periods/No O BFN 
    Medicated April-December 2015: Clomid (didn't work) and so we tried Femera/Letrozole. Progesterone Met 1000 Not diagnosed PCOS but treating the same. Anovulatory. TI No US No O BFN 

- TW - 
    IUI"S 
    January 2016-October 2016: Letrozole 2.5mg-7.5 mg, Pregyl or Ovideral Trigger Shot.
    9 cycles of IUI
    (7 Cancelled due to no mature follicles) (2 attempted IUI's with mature follicles)  

IUI # 2 June 2016 and July 2016:  Met 1000, Estrogen (21 days), Progesterone (5 days) Femera 5m 6/28/16 Ultrasound CD14 = 25 follie. Pregnyl Trigger CD14 IUI 7/13 1stBeta (DPO 15): 7.6 (Surprise BFP...but Low #'s) 2ndBeta (DPO 17): 18 3rdBeta (DPO 19) 52.8 Progesterone Prescribed (spotting) 4thBeta (DPO 26) 6.9 Chemical Pregnancy BFN

IVF and FET (diagnosed with PCOS) 204 pounds at start of IVF
    IVF # 1 October and November 2016: CCRM - Minneapolis 10/14 Consult and CD 3 testing, 10/14 started (OCP Antagonist - BCP) BCP, 10/21 1 day work up, Doxycycline 100mg 10 days, 10/24 stop bcp, Bloodwork US 10/29, 10/30-11/8 Stims 2 vials of Menopur, Dexamethasone, 225 of Gonal-F daily (dropped to 120). CCRM Vitamin Cocktail (like 20 of them), Monitoring (11/2, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8), Retrieval 11/10 (38 eggs, 30 mature, 16 fertilized ICSI), 11/16 8 Blasts 11/30 CCS testing results 3 Normal 5aa's (2 boys and 1 girl) 1 Unknown 4 Abnormal (All girls) 

Fet #1 January 2017: CCRM - Minneapolis bcp/lupron/suppository/p4 in oil QOD AF 12/7, 12/8 start meds. 1/3 lining and blood work check 14/15 mm, BW check 1/6. 1/9 transfer with acupuncture 1 CCS/PGS Normal 5aa hatching Progesterone around 26ish? Lower estrogen level 207 (wanted above 300 but over 200 was acceptable), started 1 estrace, progesterone in oil every other day, vivelle dot patches 4 every other day, 3x estrodiol daily, vitamin cocktail. POAS: - 4dp5dt and 5dp5dt, 6dp5dt frer very very very faint line. 7dp5dt and 8dp5dt + on Accuclear. 8dp5dt pregnant on a clear blue easy digital. 214 pounds at FET
    1/18 #1 Beta 91.1
    1/20 #2 Beta 215.9
    2/3 6 week US 2 sacs? Twins? but only 1 heartbeat/pole good heartbeat Stopped taking baby asprin Added in DHEA Veg Vitamin (also got the report that they transferred a girl 5aa eggo) 
    2/10 7 week US 2 sacs (likely vanishing twin) only 1 heartbeat/pole etc good heartbeat 137
    2/24 9 week US 1 eggo sac good heart beat 182 1 very small fluid sac (shrinking) 
    2/24 9 week 2 days start weening. Graduated from RE (CCRM is now starting weening as soon as 8.5 weeks)
    3/7 10 Weeks 5 days  weened completely of FET meds A1C 5.3% (Normal)
    3/9 11 Weeks 1 day my progesterone level was 15 and my estrogen level was 881 (I freaked out!)
    3/16 12 Weeks 1 day baby heard on doppler 164 HB
    4/14 16 week 2 days Ultrasound baby is looking good with all good numbers sized 17 weeks. Also got to hear her on the doppler for a few mins too. 

5/5 19 Weeks 2 days going in for "20" week anatomy ultrasound got measurements but need to come back as wasn't able to get all the measurements
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 4.6 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (78%) HC 17.0 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (70%) AC 14.5 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (69%) Femur 3.1 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (63%) Humerus 3.1 cm 20 weeks 2 days (84%) Cerebellum 2.0 cm 19 weeks 5 days
    CisternaMagna 6.2 mm Nuchal Fold 4.5 mm
    HC/AC 1.17 FL/AC 0.22 FL/BPD 0.68 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 309 grams - 0 lbs 11 oz
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 19 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days.

6/9 24 Weeks 2 days Glucose Test 1 hour (Failed) 190
    6/16 25 Weeks 2 days Ultrasound and 1st Baby Shower 
    6/20 25 Weeks 6 days Glucose Test 3 Hours (Failed) 95 (95), 183 (180), 213 (155), 198 (140) etc
    6/21 26 Weeks Recommended to a perintologist
    6/22 26 Weeks 1 day start monitoring blood sugar levels 
    6/30 27 Weeks 2 day A1 (blood sugar test ordered)

7/5 28 Weeks Echo and 3d Ultrasound
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 2.6 Q2: 3.2 Q3: 4.8 Q4: 5.6 AFI Total = 16.3 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal 
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 7.2 cm 28 weeks 5 days* (60%) HC 26.4 cm 28 weeks 4 days* (48%) AC 23.3 cm 27 weeks 4 days* (36%) Femur 5.2 cm 28 weeks 0 days* (36%) Humerus 4.8 cm 28 weeks 0 days (49%)
    HC/AC 1.13 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.73 Ceph Index 0.77 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1142 grams - 2 lbs 8 oz (37%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 28 weeks 1 day +/- 14 days.

7/10 28 Weeks 5 days Dietitian Appt and Lactatcian Consultant and A1 blood draw 5.4% (normal) 218.5 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks GD consult. 6 Lantus at 7pm daily. Novolog 1 unit for every 15 gm carbohydrate if consumed more than 30 gm at brkfst or 60 gm at lunch or supper 215.6 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks Transferred care to OB due to high risk. 216 pounds

8/2 32 Weeks Ultrasound (not cooperative and still breech) and then weekly NST's
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.0 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (44%) HC 29.2 cm 31 weeks 6 days* (22%) AC 26.9 cm 31 weeks 0 days* (24%)  Femur 6.3 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (57%) Humerus 5.7 cm 32 weeks 6 days (71%)
    HC/AC 1.08 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.78 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1808 grams - 3 lbs 15 oz (29%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 31 weeks 6 days +/- 18 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.4 Q2: 2.9 Q3: 2.9 Q4: 4.4 AFI Total = 13.6 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/8 32w6d upped to 1:10 for dinner 
    8/11 Baby Shower
    8/13 Baby Shower
    8/16 34 weeks NST good reading Upped to 8 at bed for fasting and 1:7 for dinner 
    8/18 Dr Appt

8/24 35 weeks 1 day (was suppose to be scheduled for 36 weeks) Weeks Ultrasound/GD Dr Appt/OB Appt 
    Frank Breech
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.9 cm 35 weeks 6 days* (67%) HC 31.7 cm 35 weeks 1 day * (35%) AC 30.2 cm 34 weeks 2 days* (33%) Femur 6.9 cm 34 weeks 6 days* (57%) Humerus 6.0 cm 34 weeks 6 days (64%)
    HC/AC 1.05 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.80 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 2494 grams - 5 lbs 8 oz (39%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 35 weeks 1 day +/- 21 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.3 Q2: 3.8 Q3: 2.4 Q4: 3.8 AFI Total = 13.4 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/31 36 Weeks
    9/7 37 Weeks
    9/10 Water broke...I got it tested at the emergency room it it showed it was negative. More water breaking and didn't go to the dr.
    9/11 37 weeks 4 days Called the Dr and got retested for water breaking...
    10:30pmish Baby Girl Born via Emergency C Section (Frank Breech Baby) 6lbs 3oz  -
    9/13 Dropped to 5 pounds 10oz and had jaundice 
    9/13 38 weeks

9/22 39 Weeks 2 days C Section Scheduled for 10am (arrive at 8am) Equinox/Solstice
    EDD 9/27
  • Thanks @shyviolet @Mango517 for the feedback. If I don't get up early enough, which is pretty often, I exercise before dinner. I guess I could try to walk afterwards although we tend to eat late. I'm the opposite with wight gain. Last time, I was on the higher end of what they wanted for weight gain once I started the GD diet. I'm sure it will be the same thing again this time. My body seems to gain more than the recommended weight during pregnancy no matter how healthy I eat or how much exercise I get. I'm getting a growth u/s in less than 2 weeks and I'm curious to see the estimate.
  • @MetsGirl18 bad sleep can really do a number on my fastings. Lately, all I get is bad sleep so I'm sure that's not helping but the third trimester is famous for causing insomnia. Insulin resistance starts to climb after 32 weeks which means that no matter what you do, the baby is fighting with their own insulin and hormones against your body. Fastings are not really something you can control, the rest of your numbers, yes, but fasting is a beast all its own. sacrificing sleep to eat in the middle of the night seems crazy to me. My doc told me I could eat before bed but not bother with trying to eat in the middle of the night unless I had numbers that were too low. are you doing a midnight snack because they told you to or because you thought it would help? Just wondering if the advice we're getting is completely different. it's crazy how differently doctors treat the same conditions. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • boxerbabyloveboxerbabylove member
    edited July 2017
    were all of you told not to eat yogurt and fruit in the morning? It's pretty much what I eat every morning. I cannot stomach eggs or bacon/sausage in the morning lately. I make a protein powder shake with banana, yogurt, and frozen fruit. Sometimes I add peanut butter. My numbers all stay where they belong and my doctor hasn't said anything about it being an issue. 

As far as weight loss goes, I'm not a good example. I have Hyperemesis Gravidarum so I've struggled to maintain my weight this whole pregnancy. I lost 20 lbs with my DD and I'm on track to lose about the same this time around. I love how I get lectured by my docs about watching my diet and being overweight and then 10 minutes later hearing I need to eat more and make sure that I snack more often so my numbers don't go so low during the day. 

(EDIT) BTW my baby is measuring large by about 2 weeks ahead based on my last sizing ultrasound (which I know are notoriously inaccurate)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MetsGirl18  I am a firm believer in the body having an amount of weight it likes to gain during pregnancy.  I thought I would gain a lot more this time but my body seems to have stabilized around the same gain as before. I was just talking to a friend who started gaining weight before she even knew she was pregnant.  My doctor is also a little pushy on the medication and keeps mentioning like it is no big deal if my numbers go up I can just call them and they can give me a prescription.  I am hoping not to get to that point, but am planning on calling the dietitian to see if she has recommendations before I get to that point.

@boxerbabylove I have bad morning sickness as well, not HG but pretty bad.  I didn't gain weight until 20 weeks with him, but this time I took medication so I was able to eat.  I would be super frustrated if my doctors were lecturing me like that.  I did some reading and @Mango517 is right it is really common not to gain much on the GD diet so they should not be that surprised that you are not.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove I have had insomnia from the beginning with all of my pregnancies.  I usually don't have trouble falling asleep, but I wake up in the middle of the night and am up for several hours.  If I fall asleep before having an evening snack, I know it will be too long between dinner and waking up in the morning and my number will be in the upper 90s.  That's why I've had the midnight or 1 a.m. snack because I happened to wake up, couldn't fall back asleep and tried to prevent the high morning number.  It didn't seem to work though because maybe it was too short of a time between eating and testing the fasting number coupled with poor sleep.  I know fasting numbers are the most difficult to control, but I feel like certain tweaks can bring them down enough so hopefully they won't push insulin on me.  I can control my other numbers through diet, I only have carbohydrate/glucose intolerance right now and not GD and my fasting numbers, when over, are within a few points of the limit.

Last time I was told to have yogurt and fruit for snack instead of for breakfast.  It's my go to breakfast though and my breakfast numbers have been good after eating that.  I have my first appointment tomorrow with the monitoring place so I plan to talk about my diet then.
  • @Mango517- when I was first diagnosed with GD I lost a few pounds but now for the last month I just haven't gained either. My doctor isn't worried and my monitoring place said as long as you don't have extreme weight loss they aren't concerned. 
    My fasting numbers were creeping up yet again so I switched up my bedtime snacks again. I tried raspberries + cheese or cottage cheese. And then last night i had half an avocado with some multigrain crackers and had the lowest fasting almost since I've started. I've been doing Epsom salts foot baths for about a week too- hard to say if it's had an effect. Stress and sleep definitely affects my numbers a lot so I'm hoping our vacation this weekend/next week will help. Like everyone else I just want to avoid meds as long as possible. 
  • @bubblesmtu Maybe the fat from the avocado helped with the fasting.  Just a guess.  I've been trying to figure out why my fasting numbers were creeping up and while I can find reasons, such as poor sleep or falling asleep before the evening snack, I haven't figured out the best way to keep them within the range.  I know it could easily just be from the hormones/placenta, but I want to know that I did everything possible to avoid insulin.  Somehow, I had my lowest fasting number this morning.  I walked for an hour before dinner last night so maybe that helped.

I had my first appointment with the monitoring place today.  It wasn't as bad as my experience last time around, but when I spoke to the nurse about how I've been testing twice per day for the past 2 weeks and she saw a few higher fasting numbers, she immediately said something about having to go on insulin.  I then explained why I thought those numbers were high and she backed off a bit.  To me, my numbers are barely above the threshold, this is my first actual appointment, I don't have GD yet and hopefully it won't develop beyond carbohydrate intolerance and these past 2 weeks have been more about trial and error to figure out what is and isn't working.  On a positive note, my A1C was good and since the nurse could tell that I was informed about what I needed to do with diet, exercise and testing, I don't have to go back for the 2 hour education class.  For some reason, they're having me meet with the dietician in 2 weeks though.  At that point, I'll have 5 weeks until delivery.  Not sure how necessary that really is.  I'm just hoping my fasting numbers stay in check.
  • @MetsGirl18- the second time I met with the dietitian all she did was go through my medical history to make sure it was correct and then she checked my meter (it logs all my readings) to make sure I wasn't lying or something when sending in my values. Hopefully that's all you will have to do as well your numbers have been good. 
    This last week I had a few high fasting numbers but they just emailed me and said it all looks good. Thank goodness!  
    I'm not going back to my monitoring place now til 36 weeks so I keep hoping too that they wouldn't put me on meds unless it gets really bad and the ultrasound shows he's huge. 
  • @shyviolet what altitude are you at that they are doing an additional ultrasound? I know it's a part of the GD topic but you piqued my interest as I'd never heard of that. 
  • @mrsashworth522  6250'  I have had many friends who have had low amniotic fluid so I knew that was a concern and have trying to drink as much as I can to stay hydrated.  The slower growth was new to me.  It is nice to know that we get a little more monitoring because of it.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shyviolet we are at 7220' and they didn't say/haven't said anything about that! I'm guessing only if fundal measurements start lagging they'll say something then. 
  • @mrsashworth522  My doctor did say it was a new standard they had put in place, so maybe it will eventually happen where you are.  My fundal measurement is always right on track, I assumed it had to do with the gestational diabetes which is why I asked for clarification.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I see a lot of you are worried about going on medication and I was wondering why? With my DD I was worried about the label of GD and fought it hard because all my tests were borderline and all my numbers were great until my fastings hit the 90s when I was at about 34 weeks. This time around I started monitoring way early and pushed for them to get my fastings down with medication early to keep my daughter's size down. Maybe I'm just weird? I'm ok with that being the case but I was hoping to hear what makes everyone reluctant to go on medication. 
    I'm dealing with some regular/rhythmic contractions. I have hit 35 weeks Saturday so they won't stop me if I go into labor at this point. I'm hoping I can make it to 37 weeks but the discomfort is really starting to get to me. They just never stop. every 8-12 minutes for 1-1.5 minutes all day and night. Sorry, I know not GD related but its driving me nuts.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove I don't have GD but I don't think anyone *wants* to be put on medication. There's inherent risks with any prescription medication, so it's always best to be unmedicated if that's possible. Insulin does cross the placenta and there is the potential of accidental overdose. Obviously there are benefits if you truly need it, but it's not risk free.
  • @boxerbabylove  If I go on meds they will induce me at 39 weeks.  With my DS I delivered at 40+5 so I would like the baby to come on her schedule.  I also want a natural birth and I know induction will make this harder.

I have such a hard time testing on weekends.  Our schedule is all over the place and it is hard to remember all the time. I try and eat meals that I know are good but I hate when I forget.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • After dinner tonight I tested my blood 10 min early because I had something I wanted to do and figured it would not be a big deal.  It was 146, I freaked out a little and waited another 10 min tested again and it was 119.  Crazy what a difference 10 min can make.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @boxerbabylove I'd rather avoid any medication while pregnant and since my carbohydrate/glucose intolerance hasn't developed into GD, I don't see the need to rush to insulin.  Plus, I have a hard enough time sticking my fingers multiple times per day.  I really want to avoid having to inject anything into my stomach or thigh.  I'd probably be less resistant to the idea if I could just take a pill.
  • @boxerbabylove I'd just like to stay off medication completely or for as long as possible bc right now I feel like everything is well controlled and I'm mentally happier to try to manage this by myself. Should I need insulin as time goes on, then I'll go on it. Showing little physical risk factors for harboring a huge baby right now but I'm going for my first growth u/s tomorrow, so we'll see how it's going. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @shyviolet it's crazy how much of a difference 15 min can make in some instances. I've even had a ten point difference taking my sugar from different hands about 30 seconds apart! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • thanks for the feedback ladies. I appreciate you letting me know the thought process behind the desire to avoid medication. I certainly don't love the idea of medication but I knew it was going to have to happen this time since my fastings cannot be controlled in late pregnancy without it. My insulin resistance is just too high. I learned the hard way through lots of frustration and kicking myself for not getting my fastings down without medication with my 1st pregnancy. I took going on meds as a major failure on my part my first time around. After this baby comes it will be back to lots of hard work with my doc to get my insulin resistance under control. 

@shyviolet I will have to be induced around 39 weeks if the baby hasn't come along on her own yet. that part totally sucks and understand your desire to let baby and body go on their own schedule. I'm not really happy about forced induction. I'm hoping this baby will come early like my daughter and I won't have to deal with the induction process.

The variance in our home meters is actually really wide and can totally throw me. I agree it can be really frustrating. I often have to move my testing time around my meetings and I make sure to mark when I test early so my doc knows that the requirements for the numbers are different. I send over a spreadsheet 2 times a week (what a freakin pain) and I've added a column for when I actually tested after a meal so it's really clear. 

hang in there ladies! I know its hard but we're coming down the home stretch. I really appreciate having a place to talk about GD (or just complain about how frustrating it is). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Since I've been on vacation this last week my fasting numbers were nice and low. I don't know how I'm gonna survive 5+ more weeks of work with the stress back! Have any of you ladies gotten a prenatal massage with GD? I'm hoping a few massages can help with my weekday stress. 
  • @boxerbabylove  I would go on medicine if I could not get my numbers under control but until I get to that point I would prefer to avoid it.  

@bubblesmtu  I did have a prenatal but I don't remember if it was before or after I started testing.  I am a SAHM so I don't have to worry about work stress adding to my numbers.  

It is 10 and I am eating my last snack of the day.  I hate eating right before bed it is the worst part of the whole thing for me.  I am not hungry so I have to get out of bed and force something down.  I can not wait to eat on my own schedule again.   
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know what you mean @shyviolet! I can't wait to eat on my own terms again too 
  • It's been a bit so I wanted to check in on everyone, see how we are all managing! 

All is good over here. My fasting numbers were climbing the week before I moved, but as soon as moving was done- they dropped! So clearly as a result of stress. Been able to keep them in the 70's and low 80's. Really hopeful that they stay that low for the next 6 weeks....

sigh. 6 weeks. Seems so close yet so far away....

Pregnancy Ticker