August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• shyviolet said:
    If you are really worried about the drink you may be able to ask your doctor if you could do  jelly beans instead.  The nurses who did my blood draw said they were seeing it more and more.  It is about 30 jelly beans I think.  
    Think I can just bring a bag of jelly beans along on Monday?  Gosh that'd be amazing!  They're one of my favorite candies. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump for real that's a thing! It's 28 jellybeans. Other options include:
    •6 oz grape juice + a banana
    •16oz orange juice

theres also food options but almost no doctors offices allow those. Most don't allow anything other than Glucola but it's worth asking!
  • Loading the player...
  • Glucola drink was no big deal. Had the fruit punch flavor and chugged it! Don't know results but hopefully everything is good.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsmatt1212 I believe it's a thing (sorry if it came across as sarcastic). I've heard there's an option with chocolate too. I just don't think I could convince my office to do it. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump
    The is only one Ob/Gyn practice in my town and all 3 doctors are my age or younger.  Which is why I think they are more willing to be flexible.  I wish I had thought to ask before I drank the drink, I love jelly beans too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @smallbutmighty77 that would be hilarious 
  • My appointment for GD is next Friday, 4/28. They gave me the drink at my appointment last Friday with instructions. I didn't have a choice in flavors, the only option they had was orange. Last time the taste didn't bother me, it reminds me of flat orange soda.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @bumpybump
    LOL to the bong comment! I had mine today (1hr) and it took about 5 long slugs to get it down. I kept thinking how I wasn't good at chugging even in college! For shame!

They gave me fruit punch, it wasn't bad at all. Tasted like sweeter Gatorade. And, I feel fine too a few hours later- phew. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Had mine this am too, wasn't bad. Feeling fine after so that is a relief-got an asiago bagel after my apt so that was my treat! Hopefully good results-they said I could get them tomorrow.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Mine is coming up.  OB sent me home with the orange drink and said drink it in a span of 5 minutes, then go to lab and make sure they know it is timed (an hour after finishing).  I live near our hospital and have at least 3 labs to choose from.  For pregnancy #1 I failed the 1 hr and had to do the 3hr which I passed.  

This is a good reminder for me to eat a bit healthier.  I had no problem with the 1hr, but almost got sick from at the 3 hr and was warned I'd have to do it again.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had a headache all day since my appointment :(. Granted, I'm sick too but I felt fine this morning before it. I've been eating "healthy" since the appointment to make up for all that sugar but ugh, I feel like crap today!  

Before my my appointment I had an egg with two slices of ham and drank a ton of water.  My reading was 104. 

I did ask about the 30 jelly beans but they just laughed at me and said they've never heard that (the front desk ladies). So it was the drink for me. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• What are you all planning to eat before your test?  The OB said that plain eggs and water was a good idea, but I really hate eggs unless they are in a breakfast sandwich with a lot of ketchup on them.  I eat cereal and drink a small smoothie for breakfast every day, but I plan to not drink my smoothie until after the test.  Would I be good with a bowl of plain cheerios and skim milk (my usual go to), or should I try to stomach some plain eggs?
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @littlebug2010 if you can, I'd avoid too many carbs (cereal). I ate all protein before mine yesterday as I had an egg with two pieces of deli ham on top of it. Then drank tons of water.  Could you stomach an egg with cheese on it? You can typically drink water during your test which I encourage doing as well. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump after I asked my question I did my own research, and eggs were the #1 thing that popped up, so I might just have to bite the bullet and eat an egg or two with some cheese.  I do plan on drinking water, and I believe my OB said I could during the test as well.  Thanks
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @littlebug2010 do you like yogurt? Greek yogurt is full of protein and doesn't have a lot of sugar or carbs. I like the dannon light and fit. It's got artificial sweeteners, so I don't eat it too much during pregnancy, but every once in a while is probably ok
  • @SouthernMama15 I do, but assumed it had too much sugar in it, and wouldn't help with the glucose test, but if that's an option, I would rather eat that! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Yes, my ob said water is totally okay! He said I could even pour the drink over ice if I wanted to but to be sure to get ALL of it out of the cup within the 5 minutes. 
  • @bumpybump I got my result back today. 104. That seems high. I remember checking it during a class in school and it was only like 88 or something an hour after I ate a bagel...now I'm nervous. I decided to do the test early because the more weight you gain, the more insulin resistant you become, but now I'm like, crap, what if I do have GDM and I won't know because I kind of cheated on the test?
  • @emilyrose807 that's a totally normal number. For the one hour test the standard is less than 140, and for the three hour it's 180 at an hour, 155 at hour two and 140 at hour three. A "normal" fasting glucose is 95, so you should be fine (not your doc so adding the *should*).
  • I had to take the 3 hour with DS at 135. 
  • I did mine this morning. My Dr has everyone go straight to the 2 hour. Wasn't bad. Got the orange drink and it didn't bother me...fun having baby dance for a solid hour. 

I looked up my past results from my past pregnancy and found the below. Not sure if it's helpful to anyone but I found the ranges interesting.

*I am also not a Dr...just pulled from my past test results. 

ComponentYour ValueStandard RangeFlag
    GTT Fast, Gest74 mg/dL70 - 92 mg/dL
    GTT 1 hr, Gest84 mg/dL70 - 180 mg/dL
    GTT 2 hr, Gest78 mg/dL70 - 153 mg/dL
    References ranges are for women who are > 24 weeks pregnant and have
    received 75 grams of glucose orally.
  • edited April 2017
    Yeah that's fine. When I had GD last time, the Endo wanted the glucose 120 or less an hour after meals. 104 is normal. 
  • I'm irritated about having this test bc I would never consume this much sugar bc I already know I'm insulin resistant. I've struggled with PCOS and acne, and I do so much better with a low sugar diet. I hate the fact that I have to put this in my body. Sorry, just needed to complain! I will probably fail the 1 hour test for sure. 
  • @emilyrose807 mine was also 104. I have no issues with it being that. I passed and I'm good. Like @mrsmatt1212 said, we are well within the normal range. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @asfiore have you asked your doc about alternatives? You do have the option to decline to test, but I would suggest looking up maybe using the option of monitoring your blood sugar for the rest of your pregnancy instead of taking the test. That usually consists of checking your blood sugar a few times a day once a week or so. Your OB should be able to give you other options if it makes you uncomfortable! 
  • AB518AB518 member
    The glucola drink was not as bad as I was expecting but still way too sweet for me.  Mine was a lemon-lime flavor, and luckily, it was cold.  It reminded me of a melted snow cone.  I'm still waiting for my results.  Baby had a major sugar rush afterwards; I think that was the most he has ever moved.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bumpybump I am feeling calmer after the weekend. I work with diabetics all the time, so it kind of freaked me out to have a blood sugar that high, but my friend reminded me that it was after drinking 50 grams of sugar, which I normally wouldn't even have that much in a day and would never eat it all on it's own like that. I just freaked out for a minute.
  • @mrsmatt1212 Thank you. My midwife agrees. I just had a bit of a "moment."
  • @emilyrose807 I had 102 after the 1 hour test, it's a good number to have!  

I had an early GD test, due to being a bit overweight.  As I mentioned above, I passed with flying colors (135 is the cutoff in my midwives' office), but I still have to take it again at 28w.  :/  I don't want to, but I passed it with DS, so I'm not overly worried about it.  I had orange with DS1, and a clear fruit punch this time that made my stomach do an unhappy dance.  Then again, I was still dealing with nausea, so it probably didn't help.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I just got my 1 hour result back. 160! I haven't heard back from my doctor yet but I know that's high so I'm sure I will have to take the 3 hour. Not excited about that. But this makes sense to me since I already knew I was insulin resistant and I haven't been eating as well as I should have been recently. Has anyone else had a result that high? 
  • @asfiore I had a number that high with my first and had to take the three hour. I passed the three hour. Good Luck mama!
  • Just chilling after drinking the drink! It wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was like concentrated sprite with extra sugar. Little dude is enjoying the sugar, but I feel pretty funny, not sick, but like I ate way too much candy. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • They sent me home with the drink today, but I don't take it for another 4 weeks at my 28 week appointment
  • @erindippity I don't have my test until 28 weeks either. That's 7 more weeks for me.
  • Had my GD test yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't taste too bad. Ubber sweet, but not disgusting. Found out this morning that I passed with a 104. Also found out that don't have syphilis
  • I still have 5 weeks to go for my test since my office does them at 28 weeks, but am hoping they have something other than the fruit punch flavor. Did you guys ask ahead of time? I'll seriously BYO my own Glucola if needed. (I had a bad experience with Hawaiian Punch and whiskey  back in the day, and ever since then fruit punch is a no go.)

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 my office gave me the choice between fruit punch and orange.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    @Mango517 when I had DD I had the choice between punch and orange. Maybe you can call and request anything other than the punch.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mango517 I didnt have a choice, but mine was lemon lime (like sprite) flavored.  I would call and find out what your office offers, and then see if there is an option for you.  I would even let them know that you might not be able to stomach it, because if you get sick, you have to come back and do it another time.  Im sure they would want to help avoid that. 
    IVF started Feb 2020