August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• @OTmom3 I have mine today too. It is at 5pm and I get up for work at 4:30am so I will be eating plenty of food in the 12 hours leading up to my test. Last year I was more worried about what to eat beforehand, but now I'm hoping that everybody here who says it doesn't matter what you eat is right! I just finished an Acai bowl for lunch, which is like a smoothie you eat with a spoon. Super healthy, but prob a ton of fruit sugars in it too.  Fingers crossed for us!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @donehue, good look to you too! I ate eggs for breakfast and am currently eating a salad with some cheese, egg, and tuna in it. I did put balsamic dressing in it. Your acai bowl sounds way better! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Loading the player...
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @mrsashworth522, thanks girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Had mine last week. Anyone else like their drink? Mine tasted like non-carbonated cheap orange soda, and I like cheap orange soda :)

I didn't eat anything different, nor abstain from anything. They didn't tell me to fast or not to eat anything sugary or anything. I don't much see the point of a taking a test after you've changed something that day, then it's not much a true depiction of your regular diet. Unless of course they tell you otherwise. You don't want to just pass the test, you want a true representation of your current state. So unless those are things I normally eat on a daily basis, I stuck to my regular diet.  The test would tell me if I had to change anything. I read that for the longer 3-4 hr test, they want to eliminate any outliers like random diet changes, having too much sugar the day before, etc and therefore they may tell you to eat carbs a few days prior or fast the day before. Just a thought...

As far as timeline, I got my results the next day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited June 2017
    I passed the 3 hour! Woohoo! Best of luck to you ladies who are still testing and awaiting results 

ETA: I failed the 1 hour at 145 if that offers any hope or perspective for anyone
  • @middy411 That's great and this does bring me hope! I failed mine at 148. Taking my 3 hour soon. 
  • I just found out I failed the 1 hour with 143. I have my 3 hour Thursday morning. Guess I shouldn't have had that Acai bowl  :( I had low blood sugar with my previous pregnancies (<95 when not fasting) so I am totally shocked. DH did just send me an article that GD is more common in pregnancies with male fetuses and this is my first time carrying a male so I am nervous/curious to see what this long test brings. 

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    Oh no @donehue. Best of luck on Thursday!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    I passed with a 107! Phew
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @donehue- that's really interesting, I had no issues with DD but now have GD and I'm carrying a boy this time too
  • @donehue I never heard that, but I have been told that your chances of developing GD increase with age.  For what it's worth, I failed the 1 hour with 154 with my first two pregnancies (both boys).  I passed the 3 hour the first time and failed 1 blood draw by a few points with my second.  I thought I'd definitely pass since I started the second pregnancy in much better shape and ate healthier and was more active than my first.  

This time, I got a 142 with the 1 hour, but I wouldn't be surprised if I fail the 3 hour since I'm 5 years older and although I'm the most active and healthiest, I'm still gaining as much as my other pregnancies.  I assume I have at least some type of issue processing carbs/sugar.  What you ate before the test definitely could've affected your levels, but since you didn't fail by much and have had low sugars in the past, hopefully you'll pass the 3 hour.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @MetsGirl18 thanks so much for sharing your experience! This pregnancy has been so different from my previous ones and I've had such a variety of food sensitivities that I won't be entirely surprised if there is an insulin thing going on as well. I figure I can deal with pretty much anything for 10 weeks. I am taking my first "sick day" of this pregnancy after the 3 hour because I felt pretty nauseous after the 1 hour so I am actually hoping to treat myself to a more relaxing day and make the best of it. When is your 3 hour?

• For those that have taken the 3 hour, is it a more concentrated drink this time? Or do you just have to drink more of the 50gram glucose drink? I've read conflicting things. 
  • edited June 2017
    For those that have taken the 3 hour, is it a more concentrated drink this time? Or do you just have to drink more of the 50gram glucose drink? I've read conflicting things. 
    It's the same amount of oz at 100g
  • For those that have taken the 3 hour, is it a more concentrated drink this time? Or do you just have to drink more of the 50gram glucose drink? I've read conflicting things. 
    My nurse told me it was 50g the first time and 100g the second time. With my first pregnancy I had orange flavor both times. With this pregnancy I had orange the first time and fruit punch for the 3 hour. I found the fruit punch easier to drink.
  • Thanks @brookedeyo and @middy411 Since my doctors office only offers the 1 hour and not the 3 hour, I have to go to a lab for the next round. But I'm waiting for the snail mail my doctor sent me to figure out where I need to go and what the instructions are. Hoping I can get it soon so I can just get it over with. No matter what happens though, I think failing the 1 hour was a wake up call that I need to make better food choices. I felt like I was using pregnancy as an excuse to eat all of the doughnuts. So no matter what happens (either passing or failing the 3 hour) I'm cutting way back on sugar and bad carbs. 
  • @donehue I'm taking mine on Saturday.  I figured if I felt like crap afterwards, I could at least rest on a Saturday than if I had to go to work.  I felt okay after the 1 hour this time except I was starving all day.  Hope it isn't a bad experience for you!  I'm definitely not looking forward to it, but at least it will be over soon.
  • You guys. My OB's office just called me and I failed my 1 hour with the most spectacular number.

2-fucking-01

I seriously can't believe it as I have no risk factors at all. Waiting on my mid-wife to call me back so we discuss it, but apparently I pass right over the 3 hour test and just go right to diabetes diagnosis. My very normal, textbook pregnancy just gave me the middle finger.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 I'm so sorry! I was so shocked too. Sucks! 

• lewlivlewliv member
    @Mango517 That sucks! I'm so sorry! 
  • @Mango517 whoa! I'd maybe request a second 1-hour to see if this was a fluke? 
  • Thanks guys, I'm going to re-read this thread for any info I might have missed before.

@donehue I'm so sorry for you too!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also thought of that @mrsmatt1212 that it had to be a fluke because it was so damn high, so I mentioned another test to my midwife and she seemed very hesitant to re-do the test because of my initial number and err'ing on the side of caution. She did say that if I had only slightly failed it then she would agree to a re-test.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 that's really crazy. IF you're wanting to, you can buy a glucometer at any pharmacy or Amazon and do the test yourself by drinking 50g worth of sugar from grape juice and then check your own blood sugar after an hour. Maybe then if it's still high that'll give you more peace of mind, and if it's much lower you can show that to your midwife. Just a thought. I'd totally be pissed, too! 
  • Good suggestion @mrsmatt1212 and much appreciated. My diabetic coworker has been lending me his meter all day to do continuous testing and I've been in the perfect range all day for each test for normal eating/fasting. It's given me great peace of mind that I'm not a walking sugar time bomb normally and that I might be able to control this.

RIP McDonald's Coke.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lewlivlewliv member
    edited June 2017
    My glucose test was great at 125 but the nurse said that my hemoglobin is on the lower range of normalcy. She told me to eat iron rich foods but I already eat them often...
  • @lewliv look into beets (I like them pickled) and liver. If you don't like liver (who does) you can get dessicated liver pills---check out the brand Vital Proteins. Those were my recommendations from my acupuncturist to keep up my blood supply post labor to hopefully mitigate PPD.
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @lewliv same thing for me (although I was justttt slightly under the normal range). My OB wants me to increase my intake without supplements. Now I focus on alternating with calcium since it blocks the absorption of iron. I had read not to have calcium rich foods one hour before or two hours after a meal with iron for optimum absorption - which isn't always possible but good to know. Sounds like you're already eating meat which is a better source (for absorption purposes) than beans, leafy veggies, and grains. Having vitamin C with iron also increases the absorption (I'll do a grain/oats with fruit for breakfast) as does eating those non-meat sources with meat.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I failed my 1 hour test big time. I have been eating low carb this entire pregnancy and avoiding all kinds of junk. Ugh. I'm surprised they are even letting me take the 3 hour test given how high my sugar was after the 1 hour test. : (  I hate myself right now. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @BlackNYellow I'm so so sorry! When I got the call from my Dr. yesterday I found myself in such a daze and state of disbelief. It took some retail therapy last night to get myself in a better head space for today.

Please know that it's nothing you did or caused! I don't have any of the risk factors at all yet I bombed my test so effing bad. There is just no understanding about what pregnancy is going to do to your body sometimes.

I think that most of us are through with the testing, or at least very close to the end, so hopefully we'll turn this thread into a GD support thread where we can all bitch about carb counting, meal tracking and finger pricks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BlackNYellowBlackNYellow member
    edited June 2017
    @mango517 Thank you so much. I feel like my body is failing me. I have been so overly cautious with my diet this pregnancy. I basically eliminated processed foods entirely. I don't drink pop or coffee. And I've been exercising 4+ hours a week. I just don't understand how my sugar was that bad. I have a feeling I will be joining you on this GD journey and even if I am not diagnosed I may as well start carb counting for the health of myself and the baby. 

I think retail therapy is an excellent idea. Once I stop crying. ^#&(ing hormones. 

• AB518AB518 member
    @BlackNYellow  I'm so sorry to hear that you failed your 1 hour test.  When I failed the 1 hour test, I was shocked to hear how high my glucose reading had been, so I thought that there was no chance that I would pass the 3 hour test.  I was so mad at myself and thought about what I could have done differently.  However, I ended up passing the 3 hour test.  I hope that you pass the 3 hour test too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BlackNYellow I'm so sorry you are joining this crew. I just finished my 3 hour and am hoping that tomorrow no news is good news, but I was so shocked by failing the 1 hour that I don't think I will be as shocked if I fail the 3 hour. I definitely cried in my office at work after the nurse told me I failed the 1 hour. I think type A personalities hate failing anything, ha! I found out around 3:30 and was pretty useless the rest of the day. "Luckily" I had watched some news footage of refugee children in Mosul, Iraq earlier that day that helped keep my life in perspective and I snuggled my daughters extra hard. Also, all of my co-workers had a wife go through GD with at least one of their pregnancies and hearing the frequency of the occurrence definitely made me feel better too. Keep us posted!

• I typically just lurk here since my due date sits on the line between July and August but since I had gestational diabetes with my daughter as well as with this pregnancy I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement and advice. 

Background: I'm 35. By OB/Midwife practice does the full 3 hour all at once with a test of your sugars at 1 hour and 3 hours. I was actually borderline with my first pregnancy in 2014 and was able to manage with mostly diet and added glyburide in at the very last month of pregnancy due to my fasting numbers climbing. This time around I elected not to do the drink and start testing my sugars 4 times a day beginning at the end of my second trimester. I hated sitting in that cramped doctors office and the tests have been proven to not be very accurate anyway. 

I chose to take injectable insulin this time around to manage my fasting. I chose this due to some studies that say Glyburide can increase lung/breathing issues as well as several other complications for baby. I took wha tis considered a very small dose of Glyburide while I was pregnant with my daughter and she ended up with a pulmonary embolism and a week long NICU stay. I would advise that you do some research about your treatment options if you need to manage your numbers with medication. Please be aware that Glyburide is NOT FDA approved for use in pregnancy. Most the studies about Glyburide side effects on newborns are recent and need to go through further trials before they have anything substantial so its up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. Some people hate needles and cannot tolerate the idea of injections and I can understand that impacting your choice of treatment.

Either way, Don't be discouraged if you don't pass your test. Gestational diabetes is a serious condition but management is easy as long as you are honest with yourself about what you eat and document everything. If you are one of those people that says "that little bag of chips or banana won't make a difference" you'll probably have a lot of trouble maintaining a gestational diabetes diet. be honest with your doc/nutritional advisor if this is likely to be you. it will help them to treat you properly.

I use myfitnesspal to keep track of my carb/protein/fat intake for my meal and snacks and an app called mysugr to keep track on my insulin dosage as well as my fasting and postprandial numbers. 

Fasting numbers are very hard if not impossible to control with your diet so if those start to go crazy don't freak out. its not your fault!

and that i guess is the end of my post. I hope this helps nayone who might be lurking here too and give you some ideas of things to think abotu as you go through this little hurdle in your pregnancy. feel free to reach out to me via PM if you need a little support. I know it can be daunting your first time. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @playingonadream- what is considered out of control for a fasting number? My guidelines say it should be 95 or less and that's the one I've come closest to not passing and it was 98 once. Overall I was told to keep all my numbers below an average of 110. Will they make you take meds if just fasting is high?
  • Thank you @AB518 I'm hoping I pass too! Regardless I could always improve my diet. 

@donehue I hope you pass! You are so right about the type A not wanting to fail. I've only failed one other thing in my life (parallel parking in my driving test) and I was equally as upset then as I am now. GD is not the worst thing in the world. Thank you for putting it all into perspective! 

• @bubblesmtu  I have gone over on my fasting once or twice and my doctors are not concerned as long as it is not regular.  The things that help me are having my last snack at 10 and testing first thing.  Even reading in bed will start to bring it up for me.  The other thing I have heard is walking after dinner is one of the best ways to lower this number

@Mango517 and @BlackNYellow I had no risk factors with DS and failed the 1 hr so bad they did not have me take the 3 hr.  I remember how shocking it was, I still don't tell people I don't eat with on a regular basis because even though I know it is out of my control I still feel like I failed at something.  I think it is a pretty standard  reaction.  This time when I was diagnosed I tried to look at all the positives, DS was delivered at 40+5 and was 7lb 5oz, all diet controlled.  It also helped control my weight gain, which was nice when I was able to fit back into my jeans way earlier then I anticipated.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bubblesmtu Since your fasting number is the least likely to be controlled by diet, having elevated fasting numbers could definitely lead to medication.  Last time, I was told that they want less than 10% of the readings for the week to be above the cutoff.  However, as my fasting numbers started to climb towards the cutoff and were occasionally above it by a few points, I was threatened with insulin.  That annoyed me because my OB was fine with my numbers, but the place that I was sent to for monitoring was very militant and would make me feel guilty if any readings were above the cutoff.  I think they're used to dealing with non compliant patients, but I don't respond well to scare tactics.  I never ended up needing medication and played around with my nighttime snacks/routine to try to keep it more under control.  
  • @playingonadream- what is considered out of control for a fasting number? My guidelines say it should be 95 or less and that's the one I've come closest to not passing and it was 98 once. Overall I was told to keep all my numbers below an average of 110. Will they make you take meds if just fasting is high?
    It really depends on your doctor but once my fastings were above 90 for 4 days I was told to start medication to control my fasting. My fastings with a low dose of insulin (1 time 24 hour long acting at bedtime) my fastings are between 75 and 87. Most docs want your postprandial to be taken 2 hrs post meal (that's from when you start eating not when you stop btw) to be under 120. If you are doing 1 hr postprandial you need to be under 140. If you are over those regulatory then you'll need to make changes and probably start medication.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • As another person mentioned, your fasting is not as linked to diet as your other numbers and is the most difficult to control. 

Believe it it or not a 1/2 cup of whole fat ice cream around 10 pm had enough fat/protein/sugar to keep my fasting stable during my first pregnancy. 

Some people swear by at by apple cider vinegar at night to control fasting. 

Honestly, it's hot or miss no matter what remedy you try. I make sure to drink at least 12 oz of water before bed and I eat something with a high carb high fat balance prior to bed to keep my dawn effect in control. (Dawn effect is when your blood sugar gets low while you sleep and triggers your body to burn/release sugar making your fastings climb).
    Pregnancy Ticker