November 2016 Moms

6 month check in

2»

Re: 6 month check in

• @leighry if it helps my son only gained 1 lb between 4-6 month check ups and he was gaining weight fast before that. He was 18 lbs at 4 months and 19 lbs at 6 months. Weight gain really slows down around this time because they get so active. I just wanted to chime in because even heavy babies take a hit around now so you shouldn't worry too much especially if he is sleeping well.
  • @leighry follow your mama instincts. 
    M dropped a lot on the growth chart and the nurses laid in on the mom guilt and tried to get me to start waking him up MOTN. To me M seemed super healthy. He was growing. He was hitting all his mile stones. He was super alert and happy. So I didn't listen. I did go get a second opinion (only because needles are done by nurses here so I brought him to my family dr who has been my dr my whole life, literally. She delivered me). But sometimes we just have small babies. Someone has to be low on the curve!! It's not abnormal it's just his normal and that's okay too. 
    And just an FYI I feel like M had gained a TONNE since we started giving breakfast and supper. 
    if you're worried about the formula maybe just try adding a couple meals. I know it's hard at first but it's insane how fast they gain once they start eating. 
  • Loading the player...
  • m6aguam6agua member
    @leighry Don't feel guilty (easier said than done). My LO is I think around 14lbs (her appointment is in a couple weeks). She has consistently been in the 15% for weight and she is FF (which i've heard tends to give you bigger babies). My doctor isn't concerned. She is just smaller, which isn't a surprise since H and I are both shorter smaller people.

Also I understand the guilt of your body not doing what it is supposed to. I really wanted to BF and I tried so hard for the first week. It turned out LO was literally getting nothing from me. I could only produce about 5-10 mL and I had to work for almost an hour to get that. I was told I needed to FF and I could still pump and feed whatever breast milk I could get. I cried so much, and felt like such a failure, but I had to play the hand I was dealt. I chose to EFF. The most I ever got was 1 oz and that was once I decided to stop, after a couple days of not doing anything. I'm still sad about it sometimes, but so happy my LO is thriving and doing well. I made peace with my decision. It did take us about 3 months to finally find a formula that worked for her. What ever decision you make, you got this!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @leighry I agree with PPs.  As long as you know your LO is happy and thriving, do what you think is best.  Our instincts are spot on most of the time.
  • @leighry my LO gained less than a pound (14oz) between 4 and 6 months. I feel worried too, but my doc said a plateau around this time is normal. Whatever you end up doing know that you are enough and you are a good mom! The mom guilt is so tough, you are not alone in this! 
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    I can totally relate to the guilt, my story is very much similar to @m6agua and at almost 7 months it is getting easier to accept I couldn't. 
    But you got this far, and as what I've read he's an active little boy, I've seen my LO very lifeless when she didn't get enough to eat in the beginning so trust your mum instinct that he is doing well!
    There have to be babies under the average (and some above) otherwise the average isn't the average anymore.
    He'll catch up! 
    Just keep looking at how he is actively and follow your guts. You've got this!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• m6aguam6agua member
    edited May 2017
    @tvh1982 Did the doctor or lactation consultant tell you why you couldn't produce. Mine said that I have IGT (insufficient glandular tissue), and that I will probably never have enough of the right kind of breast tissue to produce. I found this website very helpful: https://www.noteveryonecanbreastfeed.com/
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• tvh1982tvh1982 member
    They think it had to do with me having PCOS and lost way to much blood after labour (as in I almost clocked out) my body probably was trying to survive and BM was not a priority to get going.
    At the night of day 9 I couldn't get my LO to wake up so I freaked out and knew something was wrong. I then started giving her ff and pumped, but as a single mum I could not keep up on 5 min sleep and I only pumped 1,5 oz during a whole day.
    My LO has cowsmilk allergy so people are harsh to say 'you should have breastfed her' which hurts a lot (and wouldn't have made a difference as she would get cowsmilk through me as it is in almost all food) 
    Thats an interesting read though, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I dare to go for another baby as there are a few similarities in there. Thx for sharing @m6agua.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• leighryleighry member
    Thank you ladies!!! I appreciate all the kind words and support. It definitely helps to read it. With my 3rd baby I had a lactation consultant coming out and doing weight checks for her after feeds and she had said something about my breasts being "not ideal" for breast feeding but it shouldn't stop me. I will admit with my 3rd I was pumping all the time and building my stash and had a little better of a supply than I have now. But it is what it is. If I got Nicholas to 6 months exclusively breastfed then I'll take it and maybe for the next 6 he will be a combo. In the end I just want a happy and fed baby.. although I will say he never spit up with breast milk and is spitting up fairly frequently now with formula. Every burp I find myself holding him away from me haha. Thanks again ladies! ♡
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @leighry what formula are you using? maybe your Dr office can give different samples to try?
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    Second the above @leighry.
    Ive tried about 5 different ones to find one that works for my LO.

• m6aguam6agua member
    @tvh1982 I'm sorry you had it so hard in the beginning. It sucks because then you don't actually get to truly enjoy that time with LO.
    We knew something was wrong on her 4th day/night. Her mouth was so dry and chapped and she wasn't producing wet diapers so we went to the ER and they said she was hungry but not yet dehydrated. We had just had her tongue and lip tie clipped that day so we thought maybe it had to do with that. then at a week old we got in with the LC and found out I wasn't producing and my milk never really "came in". I'm still sad about it once in a while. :(
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @tvh1982 I EBF and S has a dairy and tomato allergy. That would be the case whether I FF or BF. Sometimes I do think about how much easier it would be if I FF because the diet I have to eat is really difficult for me. But on the other hand I probably wouldn't be able to afford the special formula she would need. 
  • jsmaijsmai member
    @Ladybug2821  I've had that thought too as my little one also has a dairy allergy. I dream of the day I will have cheese again. 
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    It's a tough diet indeed @ladybug2821
    As my LO is starting to eat foods I have to be careful what I give her and try small bites first to see how she reacts as their could be more hidden allergies.
    Its nice (not for you, but for my own sanity) that you EBF and have a LO with allergy. My doctor keeps telling me she'd have it either way, but I haven't met anyone that did EBF with allergy, so thought I messed up.
    Im lucky to get the formula refunded as it is indeed ridiculous expensive!

• leighryleighry member
    @kvruns and @tvh1982 with my first two I used Enfamil (my oldest had no issues and my 2nd had reflux so I used the gentle ease version). My 3rd never had formula because I was able to breastfeed her exclusively without weight issues.. She wasn't big by any means just bigger than little man.

I have kept with the Enfamil for my guy and he isn't spitting up much anymore. He must have just needed to adjust!
  • @jsmai - I have a happy spitter, too. We just go out anyway and bring lots of burp cloths and extra outfits. I've wiped spit up off the floor of so many stores and other places, but I never regret going out.
  • jsmaijsmai member
    @lajoliedreamer Thank you. I needed to hear that.

When I do go out I usually bring two extra outfits for her, an extra shirt for me, 2 bibs, and two burp clothes.  I really ought to bring paper towels too for the ones that hit the floor. Any tips, or things I'm missing?
  • jsmai said:
    @lajoliedreamer Thank you. I needed to hear that.

When I do go out I usually bring two extra outfits for her, an extra shirt for me, 2 bibs, and two burp clothes.  I really ought to bring paper towels too for the ones that hit the floor. Any tips, or things I'm missing?
    You're a better woman than I am. Our oldest was a happy spitter and I just always had a wet area on me. Every picture I see that same spot... she got changed though. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • @SandNStarsNJ - I always forget extra clothes for me!
  • edited May 2017
    @jsmai - paper towels is a great idea! I'm going to steal it. I think your list is as prepared as you can reasonably be!
  • jsmaijsmai member
    @ALBONNET1218 is it the captain calamari? My kiddo loves that thing!
  • @jsmai I had to Google captain calamari as I didn't know that's what it was called haha but yes it is!!! 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    I've never heard of Captain Calamari but I looked it up and B's daycare has one and he likes it too
  • I have Captain Calamari too! It has been great for both kids in the car.