August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• @Mango517 I also had a choice between lemon-lime and orange. They also let me bring it home which is nice so I can drink it super cold. If you're worried, you could call ahead and ask what the flavors are so you'll be prepared like PPs mentioned.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you everyone! I have another appointment before my GD test so I'll put that on my list to ask then. I'd be pretty cool with any other flavor! But the idea of having supercharged fruit punch...

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Mango517 I've taken the 1 hour and 3 hour at different labs during my other pregnancies and I was only given the orange one.  As much as I dislike it, I'd rather have that one over any other flavor.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ugh momma's failed my 1 hr test and annoyed I have to take the 3 hr.  Got a 142 (last pregnancy failed with a 143) and nurse told me she thinks it's nuts I have to take 3 hr since the 142 is most likely because I ate protein (eggs) for breakfast since protein holds blood glucose steady.  No worried since I passed it last time, but I really hate being a human pin cushion.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Lauradi1010 So sorry you have to take the 3 hour. I failed the 1 hour with a 140 last time and had to take the 3 hour too. I'm confused because my doc told me to eat a protein-only meal before coming in for my test today. I'm really trying not to fail the 1 hour since I'll have my 14 month old with me and have no idea what I would do with her for the 3 hour. They told me not to fast as I would be more likely to fail. I just feel like there are so many different and conflicting opinions/directions and I'm just trying to pass! 
  • If you fast, they should be using a different max number than if you eat. You're best off to follow their directions and either eat (if told to) or fast (if told to). 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks @bumpybump I will just eat my protein and hope for the best
  • Lauradi1010Lauradi1010 member
    edited May 2017
    @middy411,

It's more of an inconvenience for me.  For pregnancy #1I was nervous wreck when it happened.  Can't realistically see how I would have GD as I am eating much healthier than baby #1, but you never know. It's probably good to remind myself to get off my bum more and eat healthy.    Hubby will have to go in late & then my parents will come over for a visit.  I live near the lab so at least I get to go home in between blood draws.

Oh.  Good luck for the test.  It may help to walk a bit while waiting, but yes, follow Dr instructions.  I always hate conflicting answers too.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• LSP87LSP87 member
    edited May 2017
    I go in for my one hour today. My favorite attorney brought in freshly baked cookies from my FAVORITE cookie place..all I've had today were plain eggs for breakfast, small snack of beef jerky (not teriyaki) and a side salad with lemons for lunch...I want ALL THE COOKIES!!!! Crossing my fingers I pass.

• @LSP87 I would have taken a few home with me for the next day (or that night).  I have done that before, many times, because I didnt want to look like a pig at work. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @LSP87 Im proud of you not taking more than one.  Ive taken 4 before!  No Shame! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • AB518AB518 member
    I failed the 1 hour test, but I passed the 3 hour test today!  The glucola drink for the 3 hour test is so much worse than the 1 hour test.  I thought that I was going to puke, and the people at the lab said that people sometimes do throw up after drinking it and then have to reschedule.  I felt so sick to my stomach.  I'm just glad that I passed with flying colors.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ab518 happy to hear you passed! I took my 1 hour today and should get the results next week. Praying everything looks good
  • Welp, I failed the 1 hr with almost the exact same number from my first pregnancy so I guess I have to figure out some childcare to go take the 3 hr :/
  • @middy411,
     Just had the same situation.  Took my 3 hr yesterday.  Had DH go in late and my parents come visit for the last two hours.  Waiting for my results, but haven't gotten them yet which is odd.  Usually my test results are in the system 24 hrs later.  Wasn't anxious, but now I am.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Failed the 1 hour glucose test with a 190. I had the 3 hour test yesterday AM and now I'm just waiting for the results. I hope I pass! The drink wasn't as bad as all of my co-workers made it out to be. The lady who was originally drawing my blood went on lunch about 20 minutes before the last draw...made me mad. I wanted lunch too!! Haha!
  • I passed! Had to take the 3 hour one with DS so I'm super relieved to not have to this time. 
    This gives me hope! 
  • I took my 1 hr test last Thursday. I called the office yesterday to see if the results were in. They said no and that they would discuss the results with me on my next appt which isn't until the 29th. Did anyone else have this experience? My sister was just diagnosed with GD so I am a little worried, but I guess no news would be good news if they can wait until the 29th to tell me the results? 

I do not live in the US, so this may contribute to the lax approach. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DH: 35 & Me: 34
    Married September 2014
    2 fur kitties

• I have to take mine next week. Not looking forward to it at all. I've had to take the glucose test before to test for Type II diabetes, thankfully I passed with only being pre-diabetic, and I've since lost 150lbs, so no sugar issues now. Since I've been pregnant though, my sweet tooth has been out of control, so I'm nervous. My weight gain hasn't been crazy though, just about 20lbs. I'm sure I'll be fine, but that doesn't stop me from being nervous.
    ~Aryn
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I had it with my last pregnancy and I have it with this pregnancy and my numbers weren't all that bad. But my dr doesn't do the longer test so it's a dietician and endocrinologist for me :neutral:
  • Just got a notification that I passed the 1-hr test. Thanks to everyone for their advice leading up to the test!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • TRA0816TRA0816 member
    I was diagnosed today. Sucks but I'm not surprised given my family history and auto immune issues
  • Had my one hour this morning. My drink tasted like flat Sprite. Here's to hoping I passed!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Passed the 1-hour! Finger stick said 114 but actual blood draw showed 99, so I'll take that one  :#
  • Has anyone had GD before and not had it with a subsequent pregnancy?  If so, did you do anything different during that pregnancy?  Just curious if there's any hope of not having blood sugar issues this time.  

I'm expecting to fail the 1 hour, which I need to take within the next week, but it would be nice to pass the 3 hour this time.  Last time with DS2, I barely failed one of the blood draws and was diagnosed with glucose intolerance.  It's treated the same as GD, but I was able to control my sugar through diet and it never developed into GD.  I know the chances of GD increase with age and since it has been 5 years since my pregnancy with DS2, I'm not too hopeful about avoiding similar sugar issues.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • just got a message from my doctor. I passed the 1 hr test, woot woot! I read online that dark leafy greens help. However, I drink kale smoothies about 3x a week, I've always done that, not sure if this helped me. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @jacksonbears interesting! I haven't heard that about leafy greens but I totally ate a crap ton of spinach the night before my test (unintentionally) and passed with flying colors. 
  • I failed my 1 hr finger stick with a 157. I have to do the 3 hr next week, ugh.
  • @MetsGirl18 not quite the same, but my first pregnancy I failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour by the skin of my teeth. I gained 60 pounds that pregnancy and part of me wonders if I should have been diagnosed with GD. I was worried this time around and assumed my body would react the same way, but I passed my one hour and my weight gain has been in the normal range so far. 
  • I passed my one hour. I took it on a Saturday morning so I could eat some eggs and toast and avoid any sugar.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has anyone had GD before and not had it with a subsequent pregnancy?  If so, did you do anything different during that pregnancy?  Just curious if there's any hope of not having blood sugar issues this time.  

I'm expecting to fail the 1 hour, which I need to take within the next week, but it would be nice to pass the 3 hour this time.  Last time with DS2, I barely failed one of the blood draws and was diagnosed with glucose intolerance.  It's treated the same as GD, but I was able to control my sugar through diet and it never developed into GD.  I know the chances of GD increase with age and since it has been 5 years since my pregnancy with DS2, I'm not too hopeful about avoiding similar sugar issues.
    My friend Lindsey was able to do this. With her first pregnancy she was very nauseated and ate a ton of carbs (ie bagels) until her GD diagnosis, then started a carb controlled diet. For her 2nd pregnancy, she went right on the carb controlled diet and wasn't diagnosed with GD. However, since then, she maintains a normal body weight, but not the diet and was diagnosed with pre-DM at her doctor's appt in January. So now she has to eat that way all the time.

For all those who are talking about different foods that could help BG: Unfortunately, other than eating additional sugar which could increase it, there isn't much you can do with vegetables, fats, or protein that would affect your BG if you don't have GD. That is the whole point of the test. If you have insulin resistance, you will pop positive. If you don't have GD, your body will process the sugar no matter what you eat. 
  • Just found out this morning that I passed with an 83! Yay! I was so nervous :# I was fasting, but my paperwork said I didn't have to. I didn't fast on purpose, but my appointment was at 7:30 am, and I just don't eat that early in the morning. I'm more of a mid-morning breakfast person.
    ~Aryn
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I failed my 1 hour by 2 freakin points. 3 hour is on Friday. Soooo annoyed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @aehogan90 noooo the worst. So sorry!
  • @aehogan90 That sucks! FX that you pass the 3 hour easily.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @aehogan90 that was me with DS. So annoying